Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan (6115 Views)

2015 PRESIDENCY: Jonathan Goes For Broke-Sunday Trust / BREAKING NEWS: 2015 PRESIDENCY: Jonathan Has Chosen His Running Mate- Gulak / 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Beaf: 2:29am On Sep 28, 2010
[size=14pt]PDP never zoned presidency -Jonathan [/size]
•President’s claim ludicrous -Atiku
Written by Idowu Samuel, Abuja
Tuesday, 28 September 2010

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan on Monday spoke on controversies over the  issue of zoning, averring that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) never zoned the presidency to any part of Nigeria, contrary to claims.

He made the remarks in dismissal of claims by some northern leaders that he should respect the principle of zoning as laid down by the ruling party, and which currently favours the North.

[size=14pt]Jonathan said no political party had absolute control over zoning, adding that zoning of political offices was usually done after the emergence of president and vice-president, governors and deputy governors.[/size]

The president said the PDP had only been zoning elective offices it had control over after every election.

Jonathan, speaking after the submission of interest and nomination forms, also dismissed the allegation that he had been using the state funds to bankroll his political programmes, saying that the accusation was baseless.

He said the Nigerian electoral law frowned on such excesses.

“I am a serving president.  Most of my governors are facing the same accusation. The fact is that you cannot use state funds to run campaign.  All over the world, we have an electoral law which stipulates how much an individual can spend at elections.

“I have never used public funds to run my campaigns. At the appropriate time, I will publish the details of my campaign funds,” Jonathan said.

He was accompanied to the PDP secretariat by nine governors, including Sulli-van Chime (Enugu); Ikedi Ohakim (Imo); Adebayo Alao-Akala (Oyo); Ibrahim Shema (Katsina); Segun Oni (Ekiti) and Isa Yuguda (Bauchi).

Other governors in his entourage included Liyel Imoke, (Cross Rivers);  Akwe Doma (Nasarawa) and Dambaba Suntai (Taraba).

He was also accompanied by Alhaji Bamanga Tukur; Alhaji Dalhatu Sarkin Tafida; Chief Barnabas Gemade; Chief Ahmadu Ali; Mrs Josephine Anenih; Alhaji Adamu Maina Waziri; Alhaji Saidu Sambawa  and Chief Tony Anenih.

Jonathan made his views on zoning known, just as the PDP national chairman, Dr Okwesilieze Nwodo, urged him to prepare for a tough presidential contest in 2011.

Nwodo hinged the anticipated tough presidential contest on the calibre of aspirants who had submitted their expression of interest and nomination forms.

The chairman confirmed to President Jonathan that so far, four aspirants, including General Ibrahim Babangida, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, General Aliyu Gusau and Dr Olusola Saraki, had submitted their forms.

Nwodo described the four presidential aspirants as heavyweights, a reason he said the president must brace up to square it up with them, since, according to him, the PDP had resolved to produce the next president in 2011.

Addressing the media on zoning, Jonathan said the standard and nature of power rotation was established in 2002 by the PDP, recalling that zoning of elective offices was done specifically in 2007 after the emergence of the late President Umaru Yar’Adua.

[size=14pt]“In 2007, after emerging with the late President Yar’Adua[/size], we all sat down at the Legacy House to determine zoning.

“Ahmadu Ali, the then PDP national chairman; former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Chief Tony Anenih and Chief Ojo Maduekwe were there.

“Then we had gotten a president from the North, a  vice-president from the South-South. Where do we place the next chairman of the party? We said it had to go to the South-East; Senate President, North-Central and we zoned all the offices,” he said.

The president said the nature of zoning in PDP was further expressed with the removal of Honourable Patricia Olubunmi Etteh as Speaker of the House of Representatives in 2007 and her replacement with Dimeji Bankole from the same South-West where she hailed from.

Jonathan drew similar allusion to the replacement of Prince Vincent Ogbulafor with Dr Nwodo as the PDP chairman, when the latter left the office on allegation of corruption.

“The issue you asked about zoning. This is the first time I have to comment on it.  I have decided to talk about it, but, at the appropriate time, you will know a little more.  [size=14pt]But, either by virtue of the PDP constitution, or in practice, the presidency of Nigeria has never been zoned to any part of the country.[/size]

“If we will read that section of the constitution on issue of zoning, PDP does not zone the presidency, but PDP zones offices they have absolute control or reasonable control over.

“But, before you zone those offices, the president and the vice-president would have first emerged.  I am saying this because I was involved,” he said.

Jonathan added that “the concept of zoning has been in the PDP from inception. We have the PDP 1999 constitution and if you ask the chairman, he will give you. This is the very first constitution and the zoning concept is there, but not expressly stated.”

According to Jonahan, in 2001 constitution, Article 7(2)(c) said: “In pursuance of the principles of equity, justice and fairness, the party shall adhere to the policy of rotation and zoning of party and public elective offices and it shall be enforced by the appropriate executive committee at all levels, from councillor to presidency.”

[size=14pt]He cited the example of Kwara State, saying that “In Kwara State, you see that Saraki is leaving, because the Nigerian constitution allows for two tenure, but, of course, the younger sister is contesting. If the party has zoned the position, definitely, somebody from that senatorial district cannot contest, except the younger sister is from a different senatorial district.[/size]

“If you look at the situation in Bayelsa State, you know my history.  I am form Bras senatorial district. I took over to finish Alami-eyeseigha’s tenure, just like it has happened at the federal level.  I was to go back and contest and the party had no objection.  I even got the party ticket after the primaries.  But because I was now drafted to contest the vice-presidency seat, the party set up a committee, Dr Ali is here and gave Timipreye Sylva, who is from my senatorial district.

“The party would have said, no, no, it had to go back, may be to the Central senatorial district, where Alami-eyeseigha comes from.

[size=14pt]“It is when a governor, deputy governor emerge, or chairman or the vice chairman of the council emerge and, at the national level, when the president and the vice-president emerge, then you now zone other offices.  And immediately that zoning is done, any replacement has to come from that zone.”[/size]

He said whenever the people talking about zoning came around, they should be asked about their political interests in 2003 and 2007, especially if they were fellow aspirants like him.

Meanwhile, former Vice-President Abubakar has said President Jonathan’s claim that zoning does not exist is ludicrous.

The former vice president said the principle of zoning and rotation of power was the very foundation upon which the PDP was built as a party.

“It is either President Jonathan is not a member of the PDP or is living in denial of the same principle of zoning, which saw his emergence as vice-president in 2007,” he said.

He promised to mail a copy of the PDP constitution to the president.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/11663-pdp-never-zoned-presidency-jonathan-presidents-claim-ludicrous-atiku
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Beaf: 2:33am On Sep 28, 2010
Interesting! No wonder some talk of a "gentlemans agreement!" Because PDP zoning by Jonathans description, is exactly the same as the constitutional Federal Character, the President or governor would need to have already been voted in, before Federal Character kicks in. That makes a lot of sense indeed!
Federal Character cannot be used to choose the President or governors, that will be absurd. I especially like this example Jonathan gave;

He cited the example of Kwara State, saying that “In Kwara State, you see that Saraki is leaving, because the Nigerian constitution allows for two tenure, but, of course, the younger sister is contesting. If the party has zoned the position, definitely, somebody from that senatorial district cannot contest, except the younger sister is from a different senatorial district.

QED
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by OAM4J: 2:43am On Sep 28, 2010
I like his example of Kwara State.

Now let Bukola, sorry Abubarka Saraki now speak.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Osama10(m): 3:15am On Sep 28, 2010
Thats true and very funny about the Saraki's.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nsiman(m): 3:53am On Sep 28, 2010
What is zoning, is it found in the constitution of the FRN, is pdp's constitution supreme over nigeria's const'tn, are we practicing constitutionalism in nigeria, can't gej vote and be voted for (franchise)? Atiku is not even focus, if he wants to stick to the so call zoning (if at all) in pdp's const'tn, hasn't he seen that place that says before a pdp member is qualified to contest he must have been in the party for unterrupting two years? Or because gej as the leader of the party has accepted a waiver for him, can Atiku try that with obj, what threw him out of pdp before and what threw him out of AC? Yeye man. Presido, contest they are helping you to be a more popular candidate. let them say.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 28, 2010
But why is it that nobody on N/L ever thought about the Saraki's scenario in Kwara here on N/Land, we who have killed this issue off long time ago. grin
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Osama10(m): 4:11am On Sep 28, 2010
Many of us failed to remember that GEJ got his PhD from uniport and only those who schooled there would understand what he went through.

His thoughts are not that of a mortal man.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by sbeezy8: 4:24am On Sep 28, 2010
hes telling the truth.

nice one.
I like the Saraki part- that guy na ode.

The fact of the matter is that PDP north see zoning as ONLY between north and South and not between the 6 zones! - which is a lie because northerners contested against obj after 1 term, when yaradua contested many ss and se people contested against him.

odili is talking of zoning now because he wants to be VP but he contested against yaradua
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 4:52am On Sep 28, 2010
I believe him,does notherners are full time politicians and they are very tactical ,so they came up with the issue of zoning as if its in the Nigerian constitution.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 4:59am On Sep 28, 2010
odili is talking of zoning now because he wants to be VP but he contested against yaradua

That is very true, until Baba showed him the damning EFCC report card tongue

These Zoning people will never cease to amaze me.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by OAM4J: 9:14am On Sep 28, 2010

[size=13pt]Atiku, IBB, Saraki Fault President’s Claims[/size]

Former Vice-President and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential aspirant, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has said President Goodluck Jonathan’s claim on zoning is “ludicrous”.
Also, former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida, in his reaction, said it smacks of dishonesty and lack of integrity to say that the presidency is not zoned in PDP.

Meanwhile, Kwara State Governor Bukola Saraki has also said PDP will decide who will eventually become the party’s governorship flag bearer in the state and that the party will provide a level-playing field to all aspirants.
He was referring to President Jonathan’s reference to a situation where Senator Gbemi Saraki-Fowora, the governor’s sister, is running for the gubernatorial election after Saraki’s two terms as a demonstration of his claim that there is no zoning at the governorship and presidential levels in PDP.

Atiku said: “It is either President Jonathan is not a member of PDP or is living in denial of the same principle of zoning which saw to his emergence as vice-president in 2007.”
He said for the avoidance of doubt, the position on zoning and power rotation in PDP constitution was borrowed from the federal character provision of the 1999 Constitution as amended.

Atiku said zoning was the foundation of the party and referred President Jonathan to Section 7 (2) (C) of the PDP Constitution, which states: “In pursuance of the principle of equity, justice and fairness, the party shall adhere to the policy of rotation and zoning of party and public elective offices and it shall be enforced by the appropriate executive committee at all levels.”
He promised to mail a copy of the party’s constitution to the president.
Babangida said: "The president's attention should be drawn to Section 229 of the report of the 1995 Constitutional Conference which talks about rotation of political offices including that of president and governors, from where the PDP derives its inspiration to include zoning to its constitution.”

In a statement by his Director of Media and Communication, Prince Kassim Afegbua, the former military president said: "Refer the president again to the meeting of Expanded Caucus of PDP in 2002 in which 47 persons including President Jonathan, then the deputy governor of Bayelsa State, voted for zoning out of 51 persons present, where it was decided that zoning should be the order between the North and South.
"At that meeting, President Jonathan was number 34 on the attendance list. Refer the President again to Section 7 (2) (c) of the PDP constitution, which is still subsisting. All these were the steps taken to ensure that zones are used to maintain stability and unity of the country.

“Anyone trying to be opportunistic by saying there was no zoning lacks integrity and honesty, which are the hallmarks of a true leader. Those fouling zoning today are themselves beneficiaries of the PDP zoning formula. It is bad and wicked politics to change the goalpost in the middle of the game."
[b]Saraki said it was unfortunate for the president to make the claim on Kwara, which he described as factually incorrect.
He said: “Mr. President should refer to the statement by the Kwara State PDP Chairman regarding who will fly the gubernatorial ticket of PDP in Kwara State. It would be recalled that the State Chairman, Alhaji Yusuf Ayedun, stated that the party would provide a level playing ground for all aspirants in the state.

“As a result, half a dozen candidates from across all the zones are known to have picked their expression of interests and gubernatorial forms. Thus, as we are insisting at the national level, we are also committed to due process about respecting party decisions at states and at all levels. This is what we are calling all PDP aspirants to do—to respect agreements and party decisions.

”It is therefore both unfair and unfortunate for the president to have made this factually incorrect allegation. And in any case, the distribution of political positions in Kwara State over the years, even before PDP entrenched the principle in [/b]its constitution, has been guided by fairness, equity and even spread. The first two democratically elected governors of the state were from Kwara South, followed by one from Kwara North, and two from Kwara Central.”

http://www.thisdayonline.info/nview.php?id=183916
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by OAM4J: 9:21am On Sep 28, 2010
Mallam Bukola Abubarka Saraki doesn't seem to get Uncle Joe's argument.

If there is zoning in Kwara Governorship race, Hajiya Gbemi Saraki should not be contesting for Governorship at all

But the party is given all a level playing ground including her to contest despite the fact that the brother from the same family/senatorial zone is the outgoing governor.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by otokx(m): 9:57am On Sep 28, 2010
Interesting
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Moves: 10:16am On Sep 28, 2010
“There is the concept of zoning and rotation in the PDP constitution to encourage power to move from one part to the other and it is not limited to the office of the president. We will read from that section that from the least office (from councillorship to the presidency) PDP will encourage rotation and the issue of zoning. PDP does not zone the presidency but PDP zones offices they have absolute control or reasonable control over. The fact also is that the chairman of the party, deputy chairman, secretary, these are offices that PDP has absolute control and normally PDP will zone.”

He said further: “The office of the president and other elective offices like Senate Presidency, Speaker and National Assembly officers, PDP have reasonable control as long as we are in the majority. Those offices could be zoned. But, before you zone those offices, the president and the vice-president would have first emerged. I am saying this because I was involved.
“If you take the situation of the 2007 election for example, when Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and myself emerged, we met. Ali is here, he was the chairman of the party then, the former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, our late president, myself, the secretary of the party then, Ojo Maduekwe, and Tony Anenih, we sat then down in the Glass House.
[b]
“The North would have a president who is from the North-west, we have a vice-president who is from the South-south, then, where should we place the party chairman, then we decided it has to go to the South-east. Where do we place the Senate president, we decided it has to go to the North-central. And now we zoned all these other offices. These are offices that PDP has some reasonable control. But before you zone them, the president and vice-president first must emerge.
“If you look at the tradition of PDP, after zoning those offices, if for any reason any of them resigned, then you call on that zone to pick a replacement. That is why when (Vincent) Ogbulafor resigned; the party had to go to the South-east to pick the current chairman (Okwesilieze Nwodo).

“When Patricia Etteh resigned as Speaker of the House of Representatives, the party had to go to the South-west. The party did not just go to the South. So, if anybody is making that argument, then of course, he can only say ok, the North-west, then, nobody from the North-central zone can even aspire to the presidency or the North-east. PDP operates on the six zonal structure.
“But, if you ask yourself, some of the other aspirants we are talking about, where are they from.
http://thisdayonline.com/[/b]

GEJ, took the other guys to the cleaners in one move, Am not a fan of GEJ, but what he is saying seems closer to the truth;
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 28, 2010
We are moving into the politics of intellectualism. 9ce one GEJ
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by chiozor: 10:39am On Sep 28, 2010
Goodluck really got that grin
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Echidime(m): 10:41am On Sep 28, 2010
GEJ is an educated man, with Phd,those fighting him are all educated illiterates he has to use grammer and teach them a leason
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 28, 2010
What does jonathan knows about pdp that he's yarning rubbish ? He had never been anybody in pdp but just an opportunist right from his days as deputy governor.so he should just keep shut when those that know more than him about pdp affairs are talking.what contribution did he make to the party when the days were rough or how the party grew to become what it is now. silly opportunist
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by dafman10(m): 10:44am On Sep 28, 2010
Very interesting indeed. GEJ right on spot. Now lets get dirttttttttttttttttttttttttttty.  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 28, 2010
With this statement GEJ has sent them back into the trenches to look for other reasons why he should not be president.

Don't be surprised if this fools now come out to say that GEJ has only one wife, but to qualify you need minimium of 4, and countless concubines scattered across the country. shocked grin

Am telling you, their next excuse is going to be damn too ridiculous. wink
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by himor: 11:18am On Sep 28, 2010
it was decided that zoning should be the order between the North and South lol---- what about the east, there are not part of Nigeria men of enlightement who have ear should hear this ''time bomb ''
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 28, 2010
himor:

it was decided that zoning should be the order between the North and South lol---- what about the east, there are not part of Nigeria men of enlightement who have ear should hear this ''time bomb ''

Na wa for your logic. North and South Means all parts of the north e.g north east, north west, north central, versus corresponding zones in the south i.e south south, south east, south west.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by naso2(m): 11:28am On Sep 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

What does jonathan knows about pdp that he's yarning rubbish ? He had never been anybody in pdp but just an opportunist right from his days as deputy governor.so he should just keep shut when those that know more than him about pdp affairs are talking.what contribution did he make to the party when the days were rough or how the party grew to become what it is now. silly opportunist

Oga go siddon for gutter. Attack GEJ's argument instaed of coming here to tell us he was a nobody. Another question is, if zoning is to be retained, should it not remain in UMYA's North west zone? why is atiku ,saraki and IBB shouting zoning, when if followed already disqualifies  them?
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 28, 2010
na_so:

Oga go siddon for gutter. Attack GEJ's argument instaed of coming here to tell us he was a nobody. Another question is, if zoning is to be retained, should it not remain in UMYA's North west zone? why is atiku ,saraki and IBB shouting zoning, when if followed already disqualifies  them?
Siddon inside gutter ke ? What has jonathan got to say that we've not heard before ? His long throat is only heating the polity,it's the decision of the north to deal with the case of consensus candidate among themselves.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by naso2(m): 11:49am On Sep 28, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
If you cant attack his argument , then just keep quiet.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 28, 2010
What arguement ??
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by keyiwon(m): 12:07pm On Sep 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

What do u know about the PDP apart from what you hear from external news source? What was Atiku's contribution or that of IBB to PDP whenever? I want to believe you're educated if not leave intellectual discuss for those who are.

~Bluetooth:

Siddon inside gutter ke ? What has jonathan got to say that we've not heard before ? His long throat is only heating the polity,it's the decision of the north to deal with the case of consensus candidate among themselves.

Again this shows you must have a personal 'beaf' for the President, I'll advice you to get in touch with his publicists or anyone close to him to express your grievance and not on this noble forum.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by naso2(m): 12:08pm On Sep 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

What arguement ??

You  wan register for comprehension class? If you no understand wetin GEJ talk, you for don talk so since, wey come dey waste man time.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2010
2011: Collect Babangida's money, sympathize with Ribadu, advise buhari, ignore atiku, and wish all of them Goodluck till 2015!  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Dede1(m): 12:26pm On Sep 28, 2010
I pray for quick disintegration of the cesspit called Nigeria. Even a man who claimed to have Phd is setting the truth on its head. Mr. GEJ, it is hypothesis before theorem and also policy before process. I now believed Nigeria is worse than thought.

We should remove quota system on the officer cadets heading to NDA and re-introduce it when selecting the NCOs. Does this scenario represent the ridiculous quota system and federal character which GEJ continues to support?

GEJ looks imbecilic trying to defend his flouting section 7-2C of PDP constitution. I do not weep for Nigeria rather I pray for its death.
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 28, 2010
Your naivety is so frustrating. .You are here asking me what Atiku has contributed to Pdp !!! I'm surprised at your ignorance.anyways,your jonathan was inside a lecture room when Atiku and others formed Pdp.olodo !
keyiwon:

What do u know about the PDP apart from what you hear from external news source? What was Atiku's contribution or that of IBB to PDP whenever? I want to believe you're educated if not leave intellectual discuss for those who are.

Again this shows you must have a personal 'beaf' for the President, I'll advice you to get in touch with his publicists or anyone close to him to express your grievance and not on this noble forum.
Beaf with an opportunist ? Abeg free me jo !
na_so:

You  wan register for comprehension class? If you no understand wetin GEJ talk, you for don talk so since, wey come dey waste man time.
I'd be glad if you can turn the thread to a GST class !
Re: Pdp Never Zoned Presidency -jonathan by naso2(m): 12:42pm On Sep 28, 2010
Dede1:

I pray for quick disintegration of the cesspit called Nigeria. Even a man who claimed to have Phd is setting the truth on its head. Mr. GEJ, it is hypothesis before theorem and also policy before process. I now believed Nigeria is worse than thought.

We should remove quota system on the officer cadets heading to NDA and re-introduce it when selecting the NCOs. Does this scenario represent the ridiculous quota system and federal character which GEJ continues to support?

GEJ looks imbecilic trying to defend his flouting section 7-2C of PDP constitution. I do not weep for Nigeria rather I pray for its death.

Dede the lecturer and legal luminary, kindly explain section 7-2C of PDP constitution. please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU / Save Nigeria Group" Victory Rally" Called Off / Carol Afegbai Police DPO Who Murdered 400L Uniben Student Issued Her Side Of The

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.