Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,860 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? (1999 Views)

INEC Source Confirms Jonathan's Lead So Far / Jonathan lead Corruption :NIS Recruitment Tragedy Report Withheld / Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead This Naija? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 5:53pm On Sep 28, 2010
I am pro-Jonathan, but there are times when dwelling solely on sentiments smacks of stup!dity; that time is now. What has Jonathan shown to cement his ability to steer this green and white ship? Look at what is happening in Aba, Oyo and Ogun. A strong leader should have capitalized on them to show the stuff he is made of, not observing from Aso Villa like some clueless gaffer. What does it take to declare an emergency in Aba? OBJ would have solved the Aba case with a phone call from his bed. But what do we have here? A thunderous, noisy, deafening silence. Jonathan should conscientize himself and deal with issues before they deal with him. Some wonderful political calculations wind up as grave miscalculations when alternative equations are not considered.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by johndoe200: 6:26pm On Sep 28, 2010
slap1:

I am pro-Jonathan, but there are times when dwelling solely on sentiments smacks of stup!dity; that time is now. What has Jonathan shown to cement his ability to steer this green and white ship? Look at what is happening in Aba, Oyo and Ogun. A strong leader should have capitalized on them to show the stuff he is made of, not observing from Aso Villa like some clueless gaffer. What does it take to declare an emergency in Aba? OBJ would have solved the Aba case with a phone call from his bed. But what do we have here? A thunderous, noisy, deafening silence. Jonathan should conscientize himself and deal with issues before they deal with him. Some wonderful political calculations wind up as grave miscalculations when alternative equations are not considered.

I take it that you mean he should display dictatorial tendencies? What is happening in those states is regrettable, but ultimately they are law enforcement issues. What he should do and I am sure he has done is to offer to the relevant state officials the support of the federal law enforcement apartments. Please by this I don't mean the army and navy.

GEJ is the only real choice for 2011, the rest are , well let me not say anymore.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by 9ijaMan: 6:56pm On Sep 28, 2010
johndoe200:

I take it that you mean he should display dictatorial tendencies? What is happening in those states is regrettable, but ultimately they are law enforcement issues. What he should do and I am sure he has done is to offer to the relevant state officials the support of the federal law enforcement apartments. Please by this I don't mean the army and navy.

GEJ is the only real choice for 2011, the rest are ,  well let me not say anymore.

Another sentimental statement here too. When has declaring state of emergency become dictatorial? A good and strong leader would have acted swiftly and decisively before these numerous upheavals in various parts of the country consumes us all. At this rate, these problems will start spreading to other states. Our dear GEJ only cares about himself and himself alone. Whoever thinks that he's got the welfare of the nation at heart is probably living in a dream land.

Rhetorics alone will not solve the issue. While some parts of the country is boiling, GEJ is busy spending 1 billion on garbage bins, blocking people from their rights to associate and tarevlling with massive entourages to summits outside the country.

I would want all his followers to point out a single achievement of his government in the past and at present. What did he achieve in Bayelsa after being the deputy governor for 88 months and governor for 18 months? I just can't stop asking myself this simple question: why should I support GEJ, come 2011?
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Dede1(m): 6:58pm On Sep 28, 2010
GEJ can not lead himself out of Aso Rock. I hate people who break laws and ordinances with measured amount of impunity.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 5:30am On Sep 29, 2010
johndoe200:

GEJ is the only real choice for 2011, the rest are , well let me not say anymore.
Very unitelligent post. Remove the cloak of sentiment from your body and see if you made sense.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:11am On Sep 29, 2010
Nobody is asking for dictatorial leadership, what we are saying is that he needs to get on top of the situation, which he doesn't appear to be now. That is why some of us laugh when we heard the part of his declaration speech that says 'my message to kidnappers etc is that they should be ready for a fight, ' as if he was not the one in office in the unprecendent surge of kidnapping in the last 5 months.
Save his vendetta tendency, Obasanjo remains one of our best president so far. His full control of national affairs and firm stand is what Nigeria need. After the death of a 'slow motion' Yar'adua, we can't afford to have another 'baba go slow'. We need a leader that will be on top of his job.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 10:58am On Sep 29, 2010
^^Yar'Adua, even Yar'Adua, would have done something laudable about Aba. GEJ is interested in getting every available vote from the SE hence the lip service. You can critize Yar'Adua because he is slow and apparently lazy. But GEJ is leaving so many rooms for criticism and even outright allegations of connivance. Even so, silence, at best, has been his sword and shield.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by CareTaker1(m): 11:54am On Sep 29, 2010
No but lets give him a chance.

I am a pro-Nigeria

No body can lead Nigeria, no Nigerian can, but Nigeria must be lead by a Nigerian.

Lets give Jonathan a chance.

Who will go for us? We keep disqualifying everybody in time wasting.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 2:14pm On Sep 29, 2010
Care-Taker:

No but lets give him a chance.

I am a pro-Nigeria

No body can lead Nigeria, no Nigerian can, but Nigeria must be lead by a Nigerian.

Lets give Jonathan a chance.

Who will go for us? We keep disqualifying everybody in time wasting.
Let's give a sitting president a chance? Are you kidding me? What other chance does he need?
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by DeLaRue: 2:27pm On Sep 29, 2010
@Dede1 -  Use less 'big' grammar that makes no sense

[quote][/quote]GEJ can not lead himself out of Aso Rock. I hate people who break laws and ordinances with measured amount of impunity. 

Impunity is not quantifiable.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by monkeyleg: 2:33pm On Sep 29, 2010
Finally, some grown up debate. Let us put the sentimental cloak aside and deal with the real issue. GJ has really not shown that he is capable of dealing with a very difficult country (Nigeria), make no mistake, to lead Nigeria is damn difficult, but it is even more difficult when you have a leader who hasnt got a clue, and surrounds himself with money choppers and stark Illiterates.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by tpn: 3:20pm On Sep 29, 2010
I am also beginning to see the weakness in the guy GEJ.I dont think he has the balls to lead nigeria.If after the journalist kidnapping ,the kidnap of the children would also happen without him declaring a state of emergency or even ordering something drastic other than " i have directed the IG to fish the children out" .Even the governor can say that and still nothing will happen.
With this i am sure come 2011 my vote will not go to GEJ. i want leaders who are sensitive to the wishes of the people and who have the balls to take drastic action when needed.no wonder the wife is just running amock without control.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by MaziUche0(m): 3:23pm On Sep 29, 2010
The OP does bring up a valid point. This situation reminds me of what happened with President Bush and New Orleans during Katrina. I think he is having a Bush moment at this time, and Goodluck Jonathan may for it later.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by tpiah: 3:23pm On Sep 29, 2010
i think the country may finally break up under this guy.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by MaziUche0(m): 3:23pm On Sep 29, 2010
tpiah:

Why do you think that?
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by 9ijaMan: 3:31pm On Sep 29, 2010
monkeyleg:

Finally, some grown up debate. Let us put the sentimental cloak aside and deal with the real issue. GJ has really not shown that he is capable of dealing with a very difficult country (Nigeria), make no mistake, to lead Nigeria is damn difficult, but it is even more difficult when you have a leader who hasnt got a clue, and surrounds himself with money choppers and stark Illiterates.

Finally someone expresses my precise assessment of GEJ. I have no issues with the guy's personality as practically all of them (PDP contestants) are rogues. The major problem I have with a GEJ led government is that he (GEJ) is very much clueless. How will such a person be a good leader? He'll be continuously manipulated by the ignoramuses he surrounds himself with.
Obama was quick to comment on the BP oil spill disaster recently in the US and even paid a number of visits to the affected area. GEJ has only been talking to 9jans thru proxies and mouth pieces, a sign of a leader who has no time for those he's leading but for his ambition alone.

We have maiming, killings, kidnappings and abominations going in the South-East (Aba), anarchy is Ogun and Oyo states (South-West) and flooding in Kano & Jigawa states (North) displacing 2 million Nigerians and I cannot recall our president taking any leading role in assuring the masses that he's on top of it all. Is GEJ the kind of guy who'll be able to lead us out of the hell hole we have found ourselves in? Hell no!
His actions and inaction have exposed him as a man who is only good to be tending to his immediate family at home and not a country as complex as Nigeria.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by slap1(m): 3:39pm On Sep 29, 2010
The obvious reason people (including me) root for Jonathan is because we see him as less corrupt than the others. We can't easily tie him to a major national or administrative flop. Then comes the natural tendency to experiment and seek adventure and fresh air. GEJ is surely a breath of fresh air but a fresh air is not always comforting, it can also be putrid. The question now is: How promising is this fresh air? What hope does it contain? Will it have us getting nostalgic? Will it be deja vu all over again?
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by monkeyleg: 3:46pm On Sep 29, 2010
@Slap1,

It is not just about being a breath of fresh air. We need people who can hit the ground running. Nigeria is in serious trouble. Our leader now need to think far and wide and act quick. There is so much wrong with the country. The education system is practically dead, there is no security in that country (if thief catch you, you are on your own), if you fall ill, that is it, just pray it is nothing serious.

Listen GJ did not cause all these problems, but we need someone who has a clue on how to tackle these issues, not one a at a time, but all together, because all sectors are crumbling.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Gekko(m): 3:53pm On Sep 29, 2010
The way i see it a vote for GEJ is basically a vote for PDP which in turn is a vote for; looters, riggers, tribalists, thugs, tyrants, psychopaths, narcissists, manipulators, murderers, social predators, religious fanatics, rulers, geezers, scumbags, douchbags, cumbags, greaseballs, corruption, ineptitude, dishonesty, tunnel vision, inconsistency, arrogance, mediocrity, indiscipline, injustice, violence, akala, oyinlola, otunba, goje, orji, mark, bankole, majority of upperhouse and lowerhouse, FEC, NFF, EFCC, PHCN, ICPC, IG, AG,

u get the gist of it.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by jamace(m): 3:55pm On Sep 29, 2010

Why do you think so?

Are you saying that a man that catches fishes in the wild is not as wise/intelligent as the man that follows domestic animals up and down?  
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Jubilee9ja(f): 4:07pm On Sep 29, 2010
jamace:

Why do you think so?

Are you saying that a man that catches fishes in the wild is not as wise/intelligent as the man that follows domestic animals up and down?  

God has visited Nigeria and He will be passing through the nation in the last seven days of this month (24th - 30th Sept. 2010). He will pass through Nigeria for judgment against everyone that has taken advantage of the disarray of things in the country to afflict Nigerians since the last forty years. The nation through the error of the founding fathers and the fore-running leaders was sold into forty years captivity, but now it is Jubilee. Therefore a major event that will bring about a complete overhauling and a total transformation of Nigeria’s current political terrain will take place and will as a result set the pace for the various remarkable things that will follow before the 2011 Election:

1. Judgment and destruction is coming upon all the remaining fore-running leaders that sold the nation into forty years captivity since 1970.

2. All the wicked leaders in various platforms who have been subtly or directly oppressing Nigerians will be destroyed and overthrown because it is judgment time.

3. Every popular and hidden platform of oppression in Nigeria will collapse suddenly and be overturned.

4. Power will change hands in Nigeria; the government of this nation has been taking away from the hand of the platform of oppression.

5. God is done with the current nation’s ruling party and is coming crashing down.

6. A political party will arise out of obscurity into limelight as she launches a national rescue project and will therefore attract a great influx of the right people who have been waiting for the right platform.

7. The wall that has barricaded the true leaders for years from building the nation will collapse, new generation leaders who have been waiting for the right platform into the nation’s politics will emerge and gain access; they will therefore have the opportunity to feature in the 2011 Election triumphantly through the new rising platform. That is the generation that will lead the nation to the Promised Land.

What The Faithful Citizens Should Do As We Await This Great Move

1. None of us is completely blameless and no one should point accusing fingers to any, God is the judge of all and He is already at work for our national deliverance but we all must ask God for mercy even though God won’t repent concerning the judgment.

2. Let all the true leaders God has prepared to participate in the nation’s politics start watching out for the right platform as it emerges in a short while. Strategic positioning will be required now, because Something Is About To Happen! Spread the news, it is Jubilee already. (You should join our interest group on Facebook if you've been waiting for this)

The site below has details.
www.nigeriasomethingisabouttohappen..com
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 29, 2010
eveen yardua, for all his go slow, still acted when boko haram was running riot

certainly not the solution anyone would have wanted , but things may hae spiraled even more out of control if he didn't send in the army and police
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 29, 2010
slap1:

The obvious reason people (including me) root for Jonathan is because we see him as less corrupt than the others. We can't easily tie him to a major national or administrative flop. Then comes the natural tendency to experiment and seek adventure and fresh air. GEJ is surely a breath of fresh air but a fresh air is not always comforting, it can also be putrid. The question now is: How promising is this fresh air? What hope does it contain? Will it have us getting nostalgic? Will it be deja vu all over again?

therein lies the problem - gej is an unmeasured quantity

people like to say he is not as corrupt as others - some of his actions and his wife do not point in that direction

worse for me i get the impression that all he needs is opportunity

these governors - gbenga daniel alao akala - when they were starting their terms one could have argued the same thing - breath of fresh air , etc

my problems with GEJ started from the moment he opened a facebook page

a clear mesage that he more interested in campaign gimmicks than in delivering service

matters were exacerbated when his self appointed(i am hoping so for gej's sake) spokesman started flooding nl with dubious propaganda

the best spokesman for anyone is his service record.

and in the months gej has been in the seat, the score is nil

all we are hearing are future commitments, and claiming credit for fruits not sown or nurtured by gej

its just sad.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by 9ijaMan: 10:24pm On Sep 29, 2010
oyb:

therein lies the problem - gej is an unmeasured quantity

people like to say he is not as corrupt as others - some of his actions and his wife do not point in that direction

worse for me i get the impression that all he needs is opportunity

these governors - gbenga daniel alao akala - when they were starting their terms one could have argued the same thing - breath of fresh air , etc

my problems with GEJ started from the moment he opened a facebook page

a clear mesage that he more interested in campaign gimmicks than in delivering service

matters were exacerbated when  his self appointed(i am hoping so for gej's sake) spokesman started flooding nl with dubious propaganda

the best spokesman for anyone is his service record.

and in the months gej has been in the seat, the score is nil

all we are hearing are future commitments, and claiming credit for fruits not sown or nurtured by gej

its just sad.

OYB you've once again hit the nail on the head. GEJ has not been in government in months, but for years. He was deputy gov. in Bayelsa for 78 months and substantive governor for 18 months without anything to show for it. VP for roughly 31 months and president for the past 9 months (acting & actual) yet the results are not there. Go to Bayelsa state and ask to be shown concrete evidence of GEJ's performance, you'll be amazed to find nothing on ground. Whatever, you find there today was done mostly by the big thief Alams, GEJ simply sat in the government house for the last 18 months of their tenure.

I hate sounding like a broken record, but the fact remains that GEJ has no track record of performance. Go to his campaign web site and you'll not find a single info about GEJ's track records in delivery dividends of democracy to his people in Bayelsa.The dearth of track records and achievements in governance (on GEJ's campaign website) is not by error, mistake or omission. The fact is that there is nothing concrete he can point to as an achievement for his 11 years in government.

I will admit that the lot in PDP are bunch of rogues, but comparing GEJ in terms of performance and achievement in governance to any of the other candidates in PDP will make you to realise he has nothing to offer. Atiku, IBB, Saraki and Gusau may be looters, but these guys have records of some minimal amount of performance and concrete achievements (however little) when compared with GEJ. Amongst all these "thiefs", GEJ in my humble opinion is the worst of the lot as his achievements (if any) pales into nothingness compared to the rest.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by DisGuy: 10:49pm On Sep 29, 2010
slap1:

Let's give a sitting president a chance? Are you kidding me? What other chance does he need?

ahh THANK YOU!!

I think he is extremely selfish and insecure, he doesn't want to rock the boat so things fall in place for him ignoring he still has to deal with the these issues later on

He is insecure only dealing with issues around him right now, changing army personnel as if to show he is in control
he has surround himself with 'old hands' who havent even achieved anything concrete in the past!

Even Yaradua that was to be a puppet of OBJ showed his hands very early but this Johnnie guy wouldn't rock the boat so as no to 'heat up the polity'- one of those clichés from the old guards who don't want a change!
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2010
Jarus:

Nobody is asking for dictatorial leadership, what we are saying is that he needs to get on top of the situation, which he doesn't appear to be now. That is why some of us laugh when we heard the part of his declaration speech that says 'my message to kidnappers etc is that they should be ready for a fight, ' as if he was not the one in office in the unprecendent surge of kidnapping in the last 5 months.
Save his vendetta tendency, Obasanjo remains one of our best president so far. His full control of national affairs and firm stand is what Nigeria need. After the death of a 'slow motion' Yar'adua, we can't afford to have another 'baba go slow'. We need a leader that will be on top of his job.

go and fix ur house first before you start talking, if saraki can be talking of handing over power from his son to his daughter in your own state, you don,t deserve to even be heard at all!!! i am still trying to comprehend if there are any literate people in that state, no pun intended, you need to keep quiet!!!!
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Gayigaskia(m): 11:03pm On Sep 29, 2010
johndoe200:

So yar adua acted this way he was called baba go slow, now Jonathan is doing the same you are insinuating democratic and good leadership values. Haba think again, it is blatant.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by DisGuy: 11:10pm On Sep 29, 2010
df2006:

go and fix your house first before you start talking, if saraki can be talking of handing over power from his son to his daughter in your own state, you don,t deserve to even be heard at all!!! i am still trying to comprehend if there are any literate people in that state, no pun intended, you need to keep quiet!!!!  

Is Saraki snr the governor or head of PDP? and if saraki can install his daughter that says a lot about GEJ and his promise for a free and fair election!!

The people of Bayelsa can be heard after producing a transvestite governor and invested N20b on glory-land or what's that government house called with daily allowance for militant
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Ehoi: 11:16pm On Sep 29, 2010
It takes balls to pull the rug from under the powerful fuel and power cartel that have held the country to ransom for decades. Suddenly there is no more scarcity of fuel, no more importation of fuel and all our refineries are working again. It takes guts and determination to bring about the sudden improvement of power which we currently enjoy. All these were done without fanfare. All these were done withing three months. I believe GEJ has what it takes to lead and he will do even more.

The problem i see here is that most nigerians are too used to a type of leadership. Many nigerians have grown up knowing only this kind of intimidating leadership that is a backdrop from the military era. The in your face and dictator kind of leadership: so when something different comes along, they believe its bad leadership.
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 29, 2010
Dis Guy:

Is Saraki snr the governor or head of PDP? and if saraki can install his daughter that says a lot about GEJ and his promise for a free and fair election!!

The people of Bayelsa can be heard after producing a[b] transvestite[/b] governor and invested N20b on glory-land or what's that government house called with daily allowance for militant

are you serious!!!!  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by DisGuy: 11:24pm On Sep 29, 2010
df2006:

are you serious!!!!  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

this obese girl Alams is certainly not from kogi state grin
http://images.biafranigeriaworld.com/BayelsaStateGovDSAlameyeseigha9.jpg
Re: Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 29, 2010
Ehoi:

It takes balls to pull the rug from under the powerful fuel and power cartel that have held the country to ransom for decades. Suddenly there is no more scarcity of fuel, no more importation of fuel and all our refineries are working again. It takes guts and determination to bring about the sudden improvement of power which we currently enjoy. All these were done without fanfare. All these were done withing three months. I believe GEJ has what it takes to lead and he will do even more.

The problem i see here is that most nigerians are too used to a type of leadership. Many nigerians have grown up knowing only this kind of intimidating leadership that is a backdrop from the military era. The in your face and dictator kind of leadership: so when something different comes along, they believe its bad leadership.

dude, don't say what u don't know - now one has to wonder if you're misinformed or just speaking untruths

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dont you think Jonathan should Name Abuja Stadium,The Shehu Shagari StadiumAbuja / Soldiers shoot at university students in Nigeria / Federal Ministries In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.