Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,641 members, 7,801,867 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims (3110 Views)

Understanding The Hajj Stampede / To Muslims who react violently to Video against Prophet Muhammed (SAW) / Boko Haram, Oppression And Muhammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 1:31pm On Jan 16, 2006
This thread is mainly designed for a dialog with Muslims, and what we can learn about some important approaches to life. Their beliefs and why.
Some of my conversations with Muslims here have been very beneficial to me even though I am a christian.
There are things that many Christians don't know about Muslims and Islam:

Example:

1- Muslims do not believe in Muhammad (peace be upon him) as God. He is perfect prophet of the almighty most HIGH. Just as Moses (MUSA) was.

To receive the favor of Allah, faith and works are crucial.

The Prophet Muhammad stated that faith is required to enter Paradise (Muslim 1:96), and the Apostle Paul wrote that, "the righteous will live by faith" (Romans 1:17).

In both religions faith goes hand in hand with good deeds and requires them to perfect it (Qur'an 2:177; James 2:22). Indeed, Jesus (Isa) says that only those who do God's will can enter heaven (Matthew 7:21). Love Just as faith without works is dead (James 2:17), so, too, is it dead without love.

Love of one's neighbor Muhammad affirmed: "You will not believe as long as you do not love one another" (Muslim 1: 96) and "No man is a true believer unless he wants for his brother that which he wants for himself" (Bukhari 1:12). Concurring, Jesus (Isa) said that to love your neighbor as yourself was like loving God (Matthew 23:37-39).

According to one hadith: "The best Islam is that you feed the hungry and spread peace among people you know and those you do not know." Similarly, Jesus tied Peter's loving him to taking care of his disciples (John 21:15-17), and John asserts that those who do not help a brother in need when they are able to do so do not have the love of God in them (1 John 3:17).
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Phoenix(m): 4:58pm On Jan 21, 2006
Okay, I have a question...

Why do Muslims hate Jews so much?

Why do they hate Israel so much?

And, why do they hate the United States of America so much?
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by exu(m): 6:44pm On Jan 21, 2006
there are plenty of people who aren't muslims who hate all the things you listed, pheonix...
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Phoenix(m): 4:47pm On Jan 23, 2006
That does not answer my question. I am asking why Muslims hate them so much?

www.phoenix.gov
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by kismat: 5:43pm On Jan 25, 2006
exu is right.....unless you have a hatometer that measures peoples feelings and you can scientificlly prove that a muslim hates a jew/america/israel.......have you not seen a jewish muslim? have you not seen an israeli muslim? have you not seen an american muslim? we dont hate them as you might be visiualising......we hate the fact that they oppress the poor the needy and are more interested in helping those who have a common objective with them.

What you watch about these countries is controlled hence you dont know how much they hate muslims for being against such views (oppression, interest rates etc).

Watch the following documentary from PBS (funded publicly and US goverment) and see how much hate their is that you dont know about.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/israel/view/
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 5:47pm On Jan 25, 2006
Well Nazis hated them much more and they surely were not muslims, on the contrary.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by kismat: 6:11pm On Jan 25, 2006
these are the sort of stuff that makes you see the power of living in a media/oral society. What happened to hard facts, researching and reading things to understand and get the hard core stuff and not listening to people? You want to understand muslims, dont watch George Bush or listen to pat robertson, Go the our main guidance..the holy quran...get it and read the translation.....ask us and before you start bashing us
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 6:25pm On Jan 25, 2006
What do Muslims think about Jesus?
Is the family important to Muslims?
How do Muslims view death?
What does Islam say about war?

Tell us man .
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 6:25pm On Jan 25, 2006
There are six basic beliefs shared by Muslims:

1. Belief in God (Allah), the one and only one worthy of all worship (tawhid).
2. Belief in all the prophets (nabi) and messengers (rasul) sent by God. (See Prophets of Islam)
3. Belief in the books (kutub) sent by God:

The Suhuf-i-Ibrahim (Scrolls of Abraham)
The Tawrat sent to Musa (Moses)
The Zabur sent to Daud (David)
The Injil sent to Isa (Jesus)
The Qur'an sent to Muhammad

4. Belief in the Angels (mala'ika).
5. Belief in the Day of Judgement (qiyama) and in the life after death (heaven and hell).
6. Belief in Fate (predestination) (qadar)1

The Muslim creed in English:

"I testify that there is no god but Allah Almighty; and I testify that Muhammad),(peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), is His Messenger."
"I believe in Allah; and in His Angels; and in His Scriptures; and in His Messengers; and in The Final Day; and in Fate, that All things are from Allah, and Resurrection after death be Truth.

Sounds good.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Ajisafe: 9:02pm On Jan 31, 2006
Big thanks to both Kismat and chrisd, more grease to your elbows.

@Phoenix is probably one of those fundamentalist christians or jewish extremists in the united states -- he needs to open his eyes.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by nuru(m): 8:54pm On Feb 03, 2006
I like this, if most christians can go out to understand Islam, the world would be a better place for both groups.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Softee(f): 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2006
, And if muslims will go out and understand christianity, the world will go around much smoother.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Softee(f): 12:01am On Feb 18, 2006
Chrisd,

Theres nothing wrong with you understanding and respecting the islam religion, but it seems like your digging yourself in too deep. If you are really a christian like you claim to be, you should be evangelising about christianity - not telling people about islam. You should be drawing people to God. I'm not saying stop understanding islam but just a warning, before you dig yourself in deep.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by 4getme1(m): 12:57am On Feb 18, 2006
chrisd, you're neither preaching Christianity nor Islam; at best it sounds like 'chrislam.' No honest Moslem will applaud your attempt to marry the two faiths; and those who are trying to nod approvingly probably do so because they think it helps to promote their religion - not because that's what Islam teaches. Let me point out a few examples:

1. When you quote Paul alongside the teachings of Muhammad, may I inform you that most Moslems I know have a clear disdain for Paul? Some even think that Paul was the founder of Christianity! However,  Muhammad and Paul did not teach the same thing about faith. Paul's teaching about faith is to believe in one's heart and confess with the mouth the resurrection and Lordship of Jesus Christ (Rom. 10:9-10). Muhammad rejects that confession of faith. Why is this important? Because without the resurrection, faith is useless as one would still remain in their sins (see I Cor.15:17 - "And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins."wink. How many moslems honestly believe that?
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by 4getme1(m): 1:10am On Feb 18, 2006
chrisd:

Some of my conversations with Muslims here have been very beneficial to me even though I am a christian.

chrisd,

2. Christian love is based on the revelation of who God is to us - and loving God means to keep the commandments of Jesus Christ. (John 14:15 - "If ye love Me, keep My commandments"wink. I'm not trying to judge you, but did you not say in another thread that you have problem with 'born again' believers? Yet, Jesus said you cannot enter into the Kingdom except you are born again (John 3:3,5). How many Moslems honestly believe that?

Let's be clear about one thing: any similarities you make between Christianity and Islam is superficial and has no substance. If you really want to understand Christianity, read the Bible. If you fancy Islam, the Qur'an will show more about what it does not allow about Christianity.

4gt_m.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Softee(f): 1:12am On Feb 18, 2006
4get_me,

I AGREE
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2006
So you are right and everyone else is wrong. That's the main problem with you born again christians know it alls.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by gbadex1(m): 3:15pm On Feb 23, 2006
chrisd:

So you are right and everyone else is wrong. That's the main problem with you born again christians know it alls.

the fact that you're wrong does not mean you should sulk. live with it. our everyday living as Christians is all about learning.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Softee(f): 9:49pm On Feb 23, 2006
lol ha ha ha
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Phoenix(m): 8:54pm On Feb 24, 2006
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Softee(f): 11:48pm On Feb 26, 2006
chrisd,

Go ask God how to deal with hypocrites (if they really are). For a christian you are very judgemental against your own people and loving towards muslims. How sad that you canno't leave the judging up to God and evangelise to the muslims you respect so much.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by 9ijaMan: 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2006
Softee:

Chrisd,

Theres nothing wrong with you understanding and respecting the islam religion, but it seems like your digging yourself in too deep. If you are really a christian like you claim to be, you should be evangelising about christianity - not telling people about islam. You should be drawing people to God. I'm not saying stop understanding islam but just a warning, before you dig yourself in deep.

Softee,
I don't seem to understand you here. Why would you be afraid to dig deep. I'm not afraid to read the Bible and I'm surely not afraid to engage a xtian in an intellectual debate. Chris_d to me is not preaching Islam, he's only trying to tell us some of the conclusions he's been able to draw from reading the Qu'ran and some other Islamic texts. That to me does not sound like preaching. My dear u need not be afraid. In fact I'll advice you to try and explore like Chrid_d is doing.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by 9ijaMan: 6:31pm On Feb 28, 2006
Softee:

, And if muslims will go out and understand christianity, the world will go around much smoother.
My dear, learned muslims surely understand xtians. I wonder why xtians are always afraid of exploring the Qu'ran and other Islamic texts. I'm not afraid of reading about any religion, 'cos I would like to know what makes them what they are.
If I were you, I'll try and c what's all about muslims and Islam, perhaps you'll understand them better. This is not an invitation but just a challenge to you and every other Born again Xtian whi have commented here so far.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by 9ijaMan: 6:33pm On Feb 28, 2006
please note that you'll get a better understanding if you ask questions about areas that may seem confusing,
Chris_d I'll give some answers to you questions on family, death etc. at the appropriate time. I may need to do a bit of some research to explain better.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 6:38pm On Feb 28, 2006
That would be nice. Thanks smiley
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Softee(f): 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2006
9ijaMan,

Why do i need to go out and explore islam? I know deep in my heart what i am doing and where i am going. Anyway *tell a lie* I have actually read some islam texts and found them quite intimidating so i refused to go on. I don't know about chrisd but i simply cannot sit down and be reading something that says " kufarrs are your worse enemys" "jesus was nothing more than a prophet". When infact Jesus is my saviour, my start, my now, my close, my end!

I did read enough to know that christianity and islam are both abrahamic and christianity started off with issac (The child of promise) and islam with Ishmel (Adultery).

And how come my personal opinion turned into ALL christians?

And what i meant by digging yourself too deep is that you might just get so caught up in islam that you can't find your way to turn back. Its happend before! But of course merciful God turned the person around. Overall Chrisd, you need to study christianity more, you can't know everything, there is always something you don't know. If you feel like your in a deep end the answer is not to study religion but to ask God to use your life for his Glory.

Exodus 15:2
The LORD is my strength and my song,and he has become my salvation;this is my God, and I will praise him,my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Deuteronomy 8:19

And if you forget the LORD your God and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I solemnly warn you today that you shall surely perish.

(This may not apply to you but its still an important verse)
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 10:15am On Mar 01, 2006
Or perhaps you yourself got so caught up in Christianity that you shun everybody else. And for your information I don't have any problems. Actually I'm at the top 2% of all men smiley

I think the most important fault within your entire movement is the religious power and authority most of your congregations instill within the local pastor -- something that is pandemic. The local pastor has Pope-like powers over the local church, and many pastors rule over their local assemblies like virtual dictators -- many only having church "boards" filled with "yes-men" to satisfy tax authorities. In many of these congregations, the pastor answers to no one -- to no committee, not to the church at large, and not even -- in many cases -- to the denominational organization that credentials him. He is an authority unto himself and to his God, and many And most of you church-goers literally believe that his words uttered in sermons, prophecies, etc., are the literal words of God -- as surely as most Christians believe the Bible to be.

Open your eyes.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by choiceA: 11:50am On Mar 01, 2006
chrisd:

I think the most important fault within your entire movement is the religious power and authority most of your congregations instill within the local pastor -- ,,, He is an authority unto himself and to his God, and many And most of you church-goers literally believe that his words uttered in sermons, prophecies, etc., are the literal words of God

It works in exactly that way in your own orthodox or Catholic movement. When the Pope of your enclave makes utterances, how do Catholics regard his words? What is the meaning of the 'Vicarius filii Dei' that the Pope wears on his headdress? See, chrisd, common sense is obviously not so common with you. I'm sorry if that offends you, as that is not my aim here. But a word of advice before you post your next silly tale: you cannot promote your own faith by presuppositions that have no basis in the Bible. If only you looked carefully in God's word, you'll see that God is not taken by surprise in what's happening, and there are lots of verses that show clearly that charlatans and greedy money grabbers would emerge to twist the message of Christianity in order to make fast buck. I'll reference just a few here for you: Matt.7:15 and Acts 20:29.

So, what then? In such a state of affairs, it does not help to define Christianity solely on the basis of the Catholic tradition or what people are doing in so-called protestant movements. You'll gain a more sure foundation if you take the definition of the Christian faith from the Bible itself - from what Jesus taught and the apostles practised. Failing to do so, your prescriptions will be a wash and your outlook on Christianity will remain ever so conflagrant.

Now, the mystery of your 2% top level,,, I take it that you've always given the impression that you are Catholic; so it only makes me wonder if your own Catholic version has so failed you inspite of the original version of your own Bible with 10 additional books, that you now resort to the flavour of "exploring" Islam. I wish you all that you wish yourself in that adventure. However, when you arrive and begin to wonder about the surprises, note that Islam will NOT tolerate your criticisms (except, I fear, you'll be asking for a straight ticket to your grave).
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by chrisd(m): 12:01pm On Mar 01, 2006
I explore all things. About the money grabbers I agree with you. Perhaps what you say about the Pope is right. The only thing I find is that most pastors are like that and not just one in the whole pentecostal movement. The local pastor seems to dictate everything and everyone needs to get permission from him. Does not happen with a normal catholic priest in some parish church.

And pentecostal preachers seem to need much more money than the corresponding catholic priest. They talk about money most of the time, else you will not be blessed. I consider it a bit like the problem Luther had with the practice os indulgences that started the reformation and that you condemn all the time. I condemn it also. smiley
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by 9ijaMan: 3:48pm On Mar 01, 2006
choice.A:

I wish you all that you wish yourself in that adventure. However, when you arrive and begin to wonder about the surprises, note that Islam will NOT tolerate your criticisms (except, I fear, you'll be asking for a straight ticket to your grave).
ChoiceA,
That's certainly not true. How much of criticism have you done and how many times has ur head been knocked over. If you need to make a point u need not have to make false statements to support your view. Islam tolerates criticism and you should feel free to challenged anything that seems illogical to you. Answers will surely be given to your questions.
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by Softee(f): 9:26pm On Mar 01, 2006
So chrisd, what exactly is your point?

You see unlike you, i do not constantly worry about what[b] some[/b] christians do. I will wait for God to judge the hypocrites. If you go through faith watching what other people are doing, what time are you going to have for you and God. God said come unto him in SECRET for a reason. So tell me chrisd? If you have so much problems with christians, why are you still a christian, why don't you just be a muslim since you think they are purer?

I don't understand your ways. You are a christian yet you are defending and teaching something that is saying your saviour, your reason, your excuse IS NOTHING MORE THAN A PROPHET?

Maybe my love for Jesu is too much because i really don't understand,
Re: Understanding Islam And Muhammed Better - Sincere Questions To Muslims by 9ijaMan: 9:51pm On Mar 01, 2006
Softee,
There you go again. You are being unnecessarily emotional. Chrisd is only trying to get himself enlightened about Islam. His questions and posts have not shown anything that should raise you fears. If he choses to research into other religion outside xtianity I see no point in u blacklisting him. He has not said he's no longer a xtian yet abi!
Abeg take am easy o!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Save Oyedepo's Muslim Sister / How Do I Get Lectures By Sheikh Shazili , Ahmod Alaye And Aboto? / Method Of Slaughtering A Ram As Halal In Islam (zibh)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.