Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,912 members, 7,802,969 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Jollof Rice Lesson Please - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Jollof Rice Lesson Please (16828 Views)

How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jollof Rice Lesson Please by felifeli: 8:20pm On Sep 30, 2010
When I make jollof rice it ends up wet and soggy even though the bottom and side of the pot is burnt black. How can I make it dry ?

Also when I cook something at home and by mistake put too much pepper , I have to eat antacid for two days . Yet if I eat something with even more pepper than I have ever eaten at home, at a restaurant I don't suffer. What am I doing wrong ?
Re: Jollof Rice Lesson Please by xxcarolxx(f): 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2010
I have posted a thread about the same thing, if you scroll down to my thread, you will find a link on there that labalaba posted on how to cook jollof rice,
Re: Jollof Rice Lesson Please by felifeli: 10:45pm On Oct 01, 2010
xxcarolxx:

I have posted a thread about the same thing, if you scroll down to my thread, you will find a link on there that labalaba posted on how to cook jollof rice,

You would have been more help if you posted a link to the article please
Re: Jollof Rice Lesson Please by xxcarolxx(f): 11:15pm On Oct 01, 2010
I tried but cudn't post the link, it's not to hard to scroll down, grin
Re: Jollof Rice Lesson Please by mplusp(f): 1:05pm On Nov 10, 2010
felifeli:

When I make jollof rice it ends up wet and soggy even though the bottom and side of the pot is burnt black. How can I make it dry ?

Also when I cook something at home and by mistake put too much pepper , I have to eat antacid for two days . Yet if I eat something with even more pepper than I have ever eaten at home, at a restaurant I don't suffer. What am I doing wrong ?

The secret in cooking a jollof rice that is dry and not burnt is first making sure that you are using the correct type of rice suitable for preparing Jollof Rice. It has to be the long grain hard rice that is sold in Nigeria. This is usually an issue if you live outside Nigerian where many different kinds of rice are sold in the shops. But this long grain type is available outside Nigeria too. If this is what you are using, then read on. The second secret is in the way you parboil the rice. Yes, you need to parboil the long grain rice to remove the excess starch that makes the rice soggy when it is used to cook jollof rice. The oil and the ingredients added to the jollof rice prevents the water from drying normally as in the case of white rice (which has no added ingredients).

To read a detailed article on how to parboil your rice for cooking Jollof Rice, visit http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/howto/parboil-jollof-white-rice.html. The Jollof Rice recipe on the website also gives you tips on the amount of water to add (to ensure the water is dry by the time your rice is done, and no burnt food!), the amount of heat to use etc.

To answer your second question, maybe this comes from the type of pepper you use in cooking your food. Try changing to another type of chilli pepper and see what happens. Also do you use fresh pepper in cooking your food? Because this way, you are sure of what you are eating. Processed and bottled peppers may not be good for you as they contain some preservatives and other chemicals. Some powdered canned peppers are also known to contain some other spices which we are not aware of.

Hope the above have been helpful.
Re: Jollof Rice Lesson Please by tolakolapo(f): 9:18pm On Feb 27, 2011
@ Poster, i don't knw how late this post is comin bt i wil share my way of cookin dry, non-sticky flavoured jollof rice.

Ingredients that i use

ball peppers (tatase)
tin tomatoes
tomato puree (to make d jollof rice reddish in colour)
peppers (ata rodo)
onion
tiny vegetable oil (to stop d rice from bein wet)
butter (to stop d jollof rice bein sticky)
stock (to give d jollof rice dat rich rich taste)
rice of course
maggi
thyme
curry powder
bay leaves(to give d jollof rice d aroma ppl always want)

Preparation (pay attention to d bolded part)

1. Put your chicken, meat or woteva in d pot obviously afta washin d chicken/meat, add seasonings, things like maggi, salt, thyme n curry powder, den cook the meat/chicken until tender
2. While cookin your meat, get your other ingredients for d jollof rice read, dependin on d type of bell peppers u ave, from big to medium to small. if the bell pepper is quite big, den use 1 bell pepper (tatase), 1 medium onion (if u use onion in your meal), nw dis next one mite b tricky considerin d spicyness, to practice jus use 2 peppers (ata rodo), 1 tin tomato (i dont use the normal tomatoes as im used to tin ones), afta combinin all dis in your blender, nw blend it to a smooth paste, because u r using tin tomato, u dont need water to add to the peppers in d blender. Jus blend str8 like dat without addin ne water.
3. Put a clean pot on d cooker, wen d pot is fully dry, add tiny vegetable oil to go round d bottom of d pot (u sed u want dry jollof rice), i ave my reason for sayin tiny which u wil find out in a bit
4. Wen d oil is hot not very hot as u dont wana set d whole place on fire, gently add your blended pepper into d pot n stir it in d oil to mix wit d oil, afta few mins of constant stirrin, add tomato puree n 1[b]-2 spoonful of butter[/b] to d stew n keep stirrin (nw here is d reason y i sed u should use tiny vegetable oil above bcoz d butter is also oil n too much of both will make your jollof rice to b soakin of oil at d end) (d reason why u r addin butter is bcoz it wil stop d rice from stickin to each other. If you like slices of tomatoes n onions showing in your jollof rice, you can add them at this stage or leave it til wen d jollof rice is half way cooked.
5. After d butter is added to d stew, put 1 or 2 bay leaves in d stew (reason for usin bay leaves is dat, ive seen so many ppl wantin d aroma of party jollof rice, well bay leaves wrks perfect for d aroma u lookin for), keep stirrin as u dont want d stew to b burnin, add tiny bit of thyme n curry at dis point bt DO NOT PUT SALT OR MAGGI at dis point simply bcoz u wil b using d meat stock.
6. After few minutes of fryin your stew, wash your rice few times (u dont need to parboil d rice bt woteva suits u wil wrk fine), den add d rice to d fried stew n stir d rice gently to mix in wit d fried stew, now add your meat/chicken stock in small portions, jus add tiny bit n cover d rice, afta few minutes, check d rice n taste it, if d maggi n salt from d stock is nt enuf, dnt worry, as u stil ave enuf stock to cook d rice (dis is why i always use enuf maggi in d stock so dat i wont use maggi in d jollof rice cookin process)
7. Afta u've checked n tasted d rice, if its stil hard, add tiny bit of more stock to d rice n cover again wit constant checkin, DO NOT ADD GALLONS OF STOCK TO D RICE O, REMEMBA U WANT DRY NON STICKY RICE  grin
8. Check again to see if d rice is soft enuf for your taste (not too soft as d steam from d foil wil make it abit softer neway), don't add ne more stock, jus use a foil to cover your jollof rice n[b] lower d heat under d jollof rice[/b], let it steam for few minutes, den der u r, your non-sticky dry jollof rice is ready to be devoured lol,
This steps wrks for me all d time i cook my jollof rice wit loads of compliments  cheesy

As wot to do wit your meat or chicken dat u ave cooked, wel u can perform ne wonders u want on dt n im sure no method is needed on dt part,

Lastly, bcoz it's jollof rice, u wil stil end up wit burnt jollof rice so sumtimes d type of pot u use to cook d jollof rice matters alot. 

kiss

1 Like

Re: Jollof Rice Lesson Please by Enyee: 10:03am On Dec 26, 2017
Lovely. ..thank you for this. But what kind of pot please?
Re: Jollof Rice Lesson Please by dodochi42: 1:16am On Dec 10, 2018
Hoping it isn't too late to add to the discussion. You might also want to check this Jollof Rice recipe here by cheflolaskitchen

(1) (Reply)

1 Cup Of Garri Is N300 In My Area, What About U? / Union Protests Ban On Sachet Alcohol In Abuja, Gives NAFDAC 14 Days / Why Do People Like Goat Meat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.