Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,578 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens (5695 Views)

Nigerians Blast Fayose For Saying "Send Buahri Back To Daura Or Expect More Blun / Expect More Good Works From Me – Jonathan Tells Nigerians / MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by chyz(m): 1:45am On Oct 05, 2010
[size=18pt]Expect more bombing, MEND threatens[/size]
By SEYE OJO
Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Threats of fresh bomb explosions heightened yesterday, as the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said it would wreak more havoc should the Federal Government repatriate and put its leader, Henry Okah to trial over the October 1 bomb attack in Abuja.

Spokesman of MEND, Jomo Gbomo during an online interview with the Daily Sun maintained that the group was responsible for the bombings, which coincided with the parade ceremony during the nation’s 50th Independence anniversary.
If Okah is repatriated, he contended, he would not get fair trial because the MEND leader has always been blamed for what he is not involved in.

“We will come down very hard on the system because it will be another Ken Saro Wiwa kangaroo trial.
“Henry Okah has always been blamed for what he is not involved in. This is not the first-time, so, it is not coming as a surprise to us. If he was not arrested during the Bonga and Atlas Cove attacks, he would have been blamed as the mastermind,” he said.

Gbomo averred that MEND had made its point with the bombings in Abuja and would employ the same method of attack on military targets. This, he explained, would happen when the group declares resumption of hostilities.

He, however, tendered apology to the families of innocent Nigerians that lost their lives to the Abuja explosions, saying, it was not their intent to kill them.
According to him, “Our apology stems from the avoidable loss of innocent lives as this was not our intent. We wanted to use the opportunity to blame the security agencies for not playing their roles considering the forewarning we gave them.

“We have made our point and we will use this method of attack on military targets after we declare a resumption of hostilities.”
Reacting to President Goodluck Jonathan’s statement that MEND was not responsible for the attacks but perpetrated by terrorists, Gbomo asserted: “It is an obvious political comment which any smart person can see through.”

Jonathan had said last Saturday: “It’s a small terrorist group that resides outside Nigeria and sponsored to carry out the evil act. We are on their trail and we will ensure that until they are arrested and brought to book, we will not rest. Government will no longer condone impunity and any culprit, no matter how highly placed or connected, will not go scot-free.”

The first explosion was said to have taken place about 11:00 a.m., while the second one went off after a 10-minute interval. Both bombs reportedly went off from two cars, which were on their way to the Eagle Square, the venue of the Independence celebration but turned back by the police.?
The blasts occurred opposite the Federal Ministry of Justice and the Federal High Court Headquarters, on Shehu Shagari Way, some 500 metres from the Eagle Square.

Police spokesman, Emmanuel Ojukwu, in a statement named two persons suspected to be the ‘masterminds’ of the bomb blast. He gave the names of the suspects as Ben Jessy and Chima Orlu.
“By this release, they are declared wanted by the Nigerian Police, and are hereby requested to come forward and clear their names. Any person who sees them or knows their whereabouts is requested to kindly report to the nearest Police Station anywhere in the Federation of Nigeria, or send SMS to the following telephone numbers: 1. 0803-3225-349, 2. 0806-2700-000, 3. 0803-8305-707,” Ojukwu stated.

The ugly incident, he revealed, resulted in the death of 10 persons, while 36 others, including 11 policemen were seriously injured. He added that the blasts completely destroyed six cars, damaged 18 others and shattered the glasses of a hotel in the vicinity.
Okah was arrested in Angola three years ago and transferred to Nigerian custody. He was released as part of an amnesty programme offered to militants in the Niger Delta, the heart of Nigeria’s oil industry. Presently, he lives in Johannesburg. Again, he has been arrested by the South African police last Thursday in connection with the Abuja bomb blast.

MEND reportedly warned the Federal Government last Thursday that the group would strike on October 1. In an email message, MEND warned all guests, dignitaries and attendees of the golden jubilee anniversary at the Eagle Square, Abuja, to evacuate the area because “several explosive devices have been successfully planted in and around the venue by our operatives working inside the government security services. In evacuating the area, keep a safe distance from vehicles and trash bins.”

Gbomo noted that there was nothing to celebrate in the 50 years existence of Nigeria since the Niger Delta region, which produces the oil that sustains the country’s economy, has been neglected.
“There is nothing worth celebrating after 50 years of failure. For 50 years, the people of the Niger Delta have had their land and resources stolen from them. The constitution before independence, which offered resource control, was mutilated by illegal military governments and this injustice is yet to be addressed,” he maintained.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/05/national-05-10-2010-005.htm
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Beaf: 1:46am On Oct 05, 2010
Its just IBB people afraid of what Okah will confess. cool
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Ehoi: 1:52am On Oct 05, 2010
I was reading a post in another forum that got me thinking.
MEND's fundamental demands have always been true federalism, devolution of power and some sort of self determination. Are these demands impossible to meet? Would it cost us more to meet this demand than to continue like this in a state of anarchy? Would it cost blood and money to meet them? I thought this is what most people in Nigeria have been calling for especially Wole Soyinka.

We have appeased many of the ground militant with amnesty and monthly pay package. With the recent effort to develop the region we have also won those factions within the militant that say development of the region is a paramount thing. The last faction of the militant who want true federalism so that the ongoing development is not scuttled in future are what remains. Is it not easier and cheaper to negotiate with these last faction than to live with these embarrassment and harassment continually.

I know some people will say we should never give in to terrorist but i feel we have to look into their demands to see if it is genuine or ridiculous. Most Nigerians will agree that true federalism will kick start the development of the whole country but why are we so slow to act? Is it not this same demands the progressives all over the country have been calling for? Even if we cannot implement the full true federalism right now since many states and regions wholly depend on the oil revenue for survival, can we at least negotiate with MEND and explain thing to them? Can we agree a situation with them to introduce true federalism in phases that last stretch to about twenty years? By then all the regions and states would have developed their mineral export base.

Obasanjo missed a good opportunity to negotiate with Asari militant group. He didn't and wanted to use force but it only made the situation worse with the birth of MEND. Yaradua also missed another opportunity to negotiate with MEND when he offered the amnesty. I remember MEND demanding for talks with the government then. Since we know we cannot eliminate MEND, the more we leave them without negotiating, the more they become deadlier. Can we just imagine for a minute what MEND would be like in ten years time seeing they are already a torn in the flesh now?

Even the British had to see reason and negotiate with the IRA. I know we Nigerians have a large dose of pride but in this case, I believe we have to remove our pride and do the right thing that will guarantee peace and stability in the country. Since the British negotiated with the IRA, there have been peace in the country. Imagine if they didn't, we would still be having bomb blast in Britain. I believe this fight with MEND is a fight we should avoid. It cannot bring any good.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by chyz(m): 1:53am On Oct 05, 2010
I've noticed since the 2-week ultimatum has been over the half-dead guy from the north,ciroma, or whatever his name is has been really quiet. . Its funny because everything that he spoke of his happening. And another thing, since when did MEND start calling Henry Okah their leader again? Something's fishy. Also I thought the presidency reported that MEND denounced the bombings.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Ehoi: 1:58am On Oct 05, 2010
chyz:

I've noticed since the 2-week ultimatum has been over the half-dead guy from the north,ciroma, or whatever his name is has been really quiet. . Its funny because everything that he spoke of his happening. And another thing, since when did MEND start calling Henry Okah their leader again? Something's fishy. Also I thought the presidency reported that MEND denounced the bombings.
It seems to me the government want to recognize only the small MEND faction that accepted the amnesty as the real MEND while ignoring the larger faction. If this is the case, its an unwise move. What is stopping us from sitting in a round table and negotiate with these guys?
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by chyz(m): 2:04am On Oct 05, 2010
Ehoi:

It seems to me the government want to recognize only the small MEND faction that accepted the amnesty as the real MEND while ignoring the larger faction. If this is the case, its an unwise move. What is stopping us from sitting in a round table and negotiate with these guys?

GEJ's immediate comment of mend not being the attackers has really scarred his game.I say this because even if it were mend, the presidency will lie and even arrest and jail innocent people to save the president the embarrassment of making such a false and misguided statement.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Beaf: 2:10am On Oct 05, 2010
chyz:

GEJ's immediate comment of mend not being the attackers has really scarred his game.I say this because even if it were mend, the presidency will lie and even arrest and jail innocent people to save the president the embarrassment of making such a false and misguided statement.

At the time GEJ made the statement, there was already intelligence from the UK and US that implicated the guilty individuals. If all the intelligence was solid in exonerating MEND, who are we to ask why Jonathan made the claim?
All thats left for govt now, is tie up loose ends so there are no evidence fck ups, make all arrests and prosecute.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Abagworo(m): 2:22am On Oct 05, 2010
Ehoi:

I was reading a post in another forum that got me thinking.
MEND's fundamental demands have always been true federalism, devolution of power and some sort of self determination. Are these demands impossible to meet? Would it cost us more to meet this demand than to continue like this in a state of anarchy? Would it cost blood and money to meet them? I thought this is what most people in Nigeria have been calling for especially Wole Soyinka.

We have appeased many of the ground militant with amnesty and monthly pay package. With the recent effort to develop the region we have also won those factions within the militant that say development of the region is a paramount thing. The last faction of the militant who want true federalism so that the ongoing development is not scuttled in future are what remains. Is it not easier and cheaper to negotiate with these last faction than to live with these embarrassment and harassment continually.

I know some people will say we should never give in to terrorist but i feel we have to look into their demands to see if it is genuine or ridiculous. Most Nigerians will agree that true federalism will kick start the development of the whole country but why are we so slow to act? Is it not this same demands the progressives all over the country have been calling for? Even if we cannot implement the full true federalism right now since many states and regions wholly depend on the oil revenue for survival, can we at least negotiate with MEND and explain thing to them? Can we agree a situation with them to introduce true federalism in phases that last stretch to about twenty years? By then all the regions and states would have developed their mineral export base.

Obasanjo missed a good opportunity to negotiate with Asari militant group. He didn't and wanted to use force but it only made the situation worse with the birth of MEND. Yaradua also missed another opportunity to negotiate with MEND when he offered the amnesty. I remember MEND demanding for talks with the government then. Since we know we cannot eliminate MEND, the more we leave them without negotiating, the more they become deadlier. Can we just imagine for a minute what MEND would be like in ten years time seeing they are already a torn in the flesh now?

Even the British had to see reason and negotiate with the IRA. I know we Nigerians have a large dose of pride but in this case, I believe we have to remove our pride and do the right thing that will guarantee peace and stability in the country. Since the British negotiated with the IRA, there have been peace in the country. Imagine if they didn't, we would still be having bomb blast in Britain. I believe this fight with MEND is a fight we should avoid. It cannot bring any good.

Thank you very much my brother.When I read some posts here,I can't help but laugh.Jonathans support in the core Niger Delta(Rivers,Bayelsa and parts of Delta) as at today is less than 30%.What Niger Deltans want is MEND's demand.People are here discussing irrelevant issues like IBB,Dokpesi etc instead of addressing the real issues.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Beaf: 2:32am On Oct 05, 2010
Abagworo:

Thank you very much my brother.When I read some posts here,I can't help but laugh.Jonathans support in the core Niger Delta(Rivers,Bayelsa and parts of Delta) as at today is less than 30%.What Niger Deltans want is MEND's demand.People are here discussing irrelevant issues like IBB,Dokpesi etc instead of addressing the real issues.

Really? I laf in Okokomaiko! grin
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Ehoi: 2:37am On Oct 05, 2010
Abagworo:

We Nigerians like to talk a lot about our problems. We have been talking and shouting since Oct 1. But there have been only few talk about finding lasting solution to the problem.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Abagworo(m): 2:41am On Oct 05, 2010
Beaf:

Really? I laf in Okokomaiko! grin

I don't know where you live but if it is in Niger Delta make a random research about Jonathan and MEND.I am so sure of Bayelsa's support for MEND.Another option is to come out in a gathering of community youths to openly condemn MEND.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Abagworo(m): 2:48am On Oct 05, 2010
Ehoi:

We Nigerians like to talk a lot about our problems. We have been talking and shouting since Oct 1. But there have been only few talk about finding lasting solution to the problem.

My brother we all know the lasting solution.
(1)A sovereign national conference where key issues are muzzled out.
(2)True federalism
(3)Resource control
(4)Compensation of the riverine area which has experienced the worst neglect in Nigeria.

Surprisingly a Niger Delta son has the chances of making this history but is only engulfed in personal ambition of continued stay in office.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Beaf: 2:56am On Oct 05, 2010
Abagworo:

My brother we all know the lasting solution.
(1)A sovereign national conference where key issues are muzzled out.
(2)True federalism
(3)Resource control
(4)Compensation of the riverine area which has experienced the worst neglect in Nigeria.

Surprisingly a Niger Delta son has the chances of making this history but is only engulfed in personal ambition of continued stay in office.

Do you think his 4 months in office is enough to have accomplished all that? Secondly, do you think he can at a wave of his pen, change the consitution?
Lets be realistic.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by egift(m): 4:12am On Oct 05, 2010
President JEGA is wrong on this one - He can save a lot of shame by making simple apology to Nigerians and promise a better approach.

Please tell him that there is no length of time spent on the wrong direction that will make it right.

Why muscle his personal ambition through. If I were Dokpesi, I will sue the government.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by warrior13: 12:57pm On Oct 05, 2010
Spokesman of MEND, Jomo Gbomo, who is HE? Has anyone seen the photo of this person. Well for those still in the dark, this is no other than HENRY OKAH. It's a strategy of double personality to confuse pple.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by CGKing(m): 1:10pm On Oct 05, 2010
Why cant FG declare war on these mugus. I cant understand. A few hungry folks are taking the whole nation for a ride. and jo is there smiiling with his wide nose.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by ud4u: 1:11pm On Oct 05, 2010
IBB's plot, I hope he wrot in jail this time.

But come to think of it, why did this people allow themselves to be used

Power of money , Chie !!!
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by seyibrown(f): 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2010
The same MEND that apologized about bombing?  cheesy Or are there a lot of porkie pies flying about?  grin
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by otokx(m): 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2010
Its like every Tom, Harry, etc is now claiming MEND.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by yeswecan(m): 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan - now you know better.

This is obviously a game, why the attacks? what happened to the amnesty which they uniformly agreed on - has the federal government breached any part of the amnesty deal to provoke this mends action . .  There is an information gap here. .

My position has always been to combat Mend head-on, we cannot be held hostage by some bunch of criminals under the excuse of freedom fighting and true federalism.  Mend cannot be issued a blank cheque. The negotiations that led to amnesty is the biggest mistake in dealing with this crisis – I mean it’s  placing Mend in charge – I’m not surprised now it’s sliding towards a one sided conversation. We have not seen any peace even after the amnesty deal we’ve been busy combating mend’s legacy (kidnapping) which has been shipped overseas. Now it seems cool and they are back.

This is a war we need to fight – Kidnapping seems not good enough for Mend, they have devised bombing as the new method of operation . . .  And I tell you this is when it gets really ugly for the common man because the politicians are always safe.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2010
Ehoi:

Actually we have been talking since 1st OCtober 1960
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by otokx(m): 1:15pm On Oct 05, 2010
@ Yeswecan,

Confronting MEND head on where?? is it in ABUJA? because it definitely won't be in the Niger Delta.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by monkeyleg: 1:17pm On Oct 05, 2010
@Beaf,

Just shut your Dirty mouth. MEND now equals IBB right? Your stupidity is going to land you in a lot of trouble
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by craziest: 1:17pm On Oct 05, 2010
Beaf:

At the time GEJ made the statement, there was already intelligence from the UK and US that implicated the guilty individuals. If all the  intelligence  was solid in exonerating MEND, who are we to ask why Jonathan made the claim?
All thats left for govt now, is tie up loose ends so there are no evidence fck ups, make all arrests and prosecute.

RUBBISH, US intelligence my foot!!! why did the same intelligence not stop mutallab from flying with bombs in his pant, even after they got hints from his parents. Yesterday there was bomb explosion by the IRA in Ireland< why Uk MR5 did no until they the plotters alerted the public. Forget FBI, their officers even cheated in their last promotion exams< you are wondering how they can prevent a bomb if they cant pass simple exams with there head.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by youngmonie: 1:18pm On Oct 05, 2010
this yr has really defined Nigeria, therehas been all sorets of drama starting from the begining of the year even up untill the end , mehn dat country is gangstarr, God need to intervene
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by yeswecan(m): 1:23pm On Oct 05, 2010
otokx:

@ Yeswecan,

Confronting MEND head on where?? is it in ABUJA? because it definitely won't be in the Niger Delta.

So are we suppose to fold our arms and watch them take us for a ride? Do you know what they would do next - - they cannot just do what they want like its legal. This is a country of over 300 ethnic groups and an ethnic dominated group does whatever they want and go free. .   This has long pass the realm dialogue, they cannot be treated likely . .  Jonathan should deploy Nigeria army to Niger Delta zone – they are not invisible
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by JUO(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2010
where are they facing this time, hope is government house?
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by otokx(m): 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2010
MEND if they really exist are just fronting for some disgruntled politicians. It is those politicians that should be made to answer first before tackling the foot soldiers.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by Dandas: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2010
Its Lord Luggard that put us into this wahala.If we had Northerners(Hausa,Fulani,etc),Easterners(Igbos,Niger delta) and Westerners(Yorubas) as respective countries,all these nonsense wouldnt have been happening.Now the three regions are put under one umbrella as one country.Tell me what Hausa/fulani/igbo/yoruba man etc have in common both in tradition,language,way of life,physical appearance etc?.If this country had been divided into three countries like that ,all these rubbish both politically and otherwise will be stopped.No thanks to Luggard.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by mrofficial(m): 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2010
the governments will continue to prolong this issue if they do not do the right thing. One militant die, them born another one. Why can't they do what is right and end this. They've been milking the whole country for years now, ordinary electricity is privilege. Na wa ooo, now they are arresting looking for bombers showing smartness to continue their regular stealing. One thing i believe is that, if they do not meet the demand of the Naija Deltans things like this will not stop, because an idle mind is the devil's workshop.
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by yeswecan(m): 1:30pm On Oct 05, 2010
I have not dismissed the possibilities of Mend been used for political reasons for they has already proved to be bunch of hungry fellow searching for survival. I have not seen or heard of freedom fighters kidnapping for money – or demand for oil wells- does illegal oil business and not even a single social responsibility to the community they claim to represent.

These are not freedom fighters but criminals who will stop at nothing because this is what they do to acquire houses and cars in other part of the country – not where they represent.  It is just sad that some Nigerians could fall for this
Re: Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens by JUO(m): 1:33pm On Oct 05, 2010
So are we suppose to fold our arms and watch them take us for a ride? Do you know what they would do next - - they cannot just do what they want like its legal. This is a country of over 300 ethnic groups and an ethnic dominated group does whatever they want and go free. . This has long pass the realm dialogue, they cannot be treated likely . . Jonathan should deploy Nigeria army to Niger Delta zone – they are not invisible

YOU NEED A DOCTOR

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fraud Detected In Call To Bar Final Examination / No Constant Power Till 2015-jeg / Wife Of Osun Speaker Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.