Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan (9454 Views)

Poll: What has really failed?

The 6-3-3-4 System: 14% (7 votes)
The Implementation: 85% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Amaechi's Ministerial Nomination: Buhari Government Has Failed The Moral Test / Cabinet Members Who Failed Jonathan - The Nation / The South Failed Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Kennyblues(m): 10:12am On Oct 05, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan has said the 6-3-3-4 system of education has failed to provide desired solution.

Consequently, he called on initiators of the system to apologise to Nigerians. The system was introduced in 1982 by the Federal Government of Nigeria, stipulating six years in primary school, three years in Junior Secondary School, another three years in Senior Secondary and four years in a tertiary institution.

It had the primary focus of meeting the educational needs of Nigerians and equipping the youths with marketable skills that would make them self-reliant. Professor Babatunde Fafunwa was the Minister of Education at that time.

However, President Jonathan, at the interactive session of the Presidential Stakeholder’s Summit, at the Transcorp Hilton, lamented the picture painted by the National Universities Commission (NUC) of how an assistant lecturer 1 became acting dean, wondering what quality of education the students would get.

The Abe 1 of Uvwie Kingdom in Delta State, Ovie Emmanuel Sideso, insisted that only political will by the president could move education out of the doldrum it was presently in.

Chairman House Committee on Education, Faruk Lawan, also supported joint funding of the education sector. He advocated parental contributions and lamented that the value of education and the curriculum that was taught in higher institutions had become irrelevant to the overall needs of the country.

The Executive Secretary National Universities Commission (NUC), Julius Okojie, said morality on the part of higher education administrators was very crucial, saying only morality could bring standard in the system.

Professor Addison Wokocha, Registrar, Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN), blamed the teachers at all the levels of education as being responsible for the poor foundation in the country. He lamented that most state governments did not even employ qualified teachers.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/05/national-05-10-2010-007.htm
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Kx: 10:14am On Oct 05, 2010
Are we not chasing shadows by harping on problems and who failed instead of implementing proferred solutions?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 05, 2010
Kx:

Are we not chasing shadows by harping on problems and who failed instead of implementing proferred solutions?
And what solutions did the fcktards proferred cuz all i see through the article is condemnation.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Kx: 10:34am On Oct 05, 2010
We did nt need GEJ to tell us dat education has failed.
We only need him to implement various solutions recommended in various fora in d past.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by otokx(m): 10:47am On Oct 05, 2010
Its very easy for human beings to say something has failed or is bad but then what solution do they prefer?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 05, 2010
otokx:

Its very easy for human beings to say something has failed or is bad but then what solution do they prefer?
I passed through the structure they are claiming is bad and I see nothing wrong with it.it's just the falling standard that needed to be addressed.[b]Their condemnation is akin to saying politics is not good for nigeria simply because we have bad politicians in power.[/b]It doesn't make sense at all.there is nothing wrong with that structure at all.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 05, 2010
Nigeria needs to provide world class people,at present the certificate to for survival and not for assisting in the growth of the country.examples should be taken from emerging countries.e.g ,all BRIC countries.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 05, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I passed through the structure they are claiming is bad and I see nothing wrong with it.it's just the falling standard that needed to be addressed.[b]Their condemnation is akin to saying politics is not good for nigeria simply because we have bad politicians in power.[/b]It doesn't make sense at all.there is nothing wrong with that structure at all.
Nigeria is like a carcas and our politician are nothing but Vultures. Don't you guys get it ?

Education restructuring = BILLIONS OF $$$$$= MORE SWITZ ACCOUNTS
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by phantom(m): 12:05pm On Oct 05, 2010
theres nothing wrong wit the system, let him try another one.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by revomind(m): 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2010
Phew!! This Goodluck sef!

Its pretty annoying when some generally unscrupulous elements come out to pass damning verdicts on sectors that deterioate continuously before their own very eyes. True that all isnt well with education in the country buh i doubt seriously it has anything to do with the 6-3-3-4 structure. I went through that system and i think the problem lies with the govt. Govt funds education as if its a distraction and also promote mediocrity with this federal xter/EDLS crap. What Goodluck needs to do is to show courage to address these fundamental issues. I doubt that though.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by revomind(m): 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2010

Its pretty annoying when some generally unscrupulous elements come out to pass damning verdicts on sectors that deterioate continuously before their own very eyes. True that all isnt well with education in the country buh i doubt seriously it has anything to do with the 6-3-3-4 structure. I went through that system and i think the problem lies with the govt. Govt funds education as if its a distraction and also promote mediocrity with this federal xter/EDLS crap. What Goodluck needs to do is to show courage to address these fundamental issues. I doubt that though.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 05, 2010
revomind:

How old were you when you completed university?That system is not okay,in india you can find a 26 years old Phd student that is world class.In Nigeria you will probably have grey hair.people graduate at average age of 25 or more for first degree,s,you cannot compete in the new emerging world .
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 05, 2010
olas2u:

How old were you when you completed university?That system is not okay,in india you can find a 26 years old Phd student that is world class.In Nigeria you will probably have grey hair.people graduate at average age of 25 or more for first degree,s,you cannot compete in the new emerging world .
How is the structure not ok ? Do you mind sharing your experience,please ?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by slap1(m): 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2010
This one na Jose Mourinho Champions League formation. Prioritize education and quit talking poo!
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by hercules07: 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2010
There is nothing wrong with the 6-3-3-4 model, we need to update the curriculum and also train and pay teachers well, upgrade the facilities and provide more materials for the schools.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by normac: 2:00pm On Oct 05, 2010
I dont think the 6-3-3-4 system is the problem with education in Nigeria. It probably has more to do with a long-running culture of enthroning mediocrity and 'helping' one's kinsmen and friends with admission into secondary schools and universities.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by amblors(m): 2:01pm On Oct 05, 2010
this is crap.

i thought we had moved to 9-3-4

Just how much impact can be made with handicapped institutions?

make we hear abeg.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by violent(m): 2:03pm On Oct 05, 2010
amblors:

this is crap.

i thought we had moved to 9-3-4

Just how much impact can be made with handicapped institutions?

make we hear abeg.

and the difference between 6-3-3-4 and 9-3-4 will be?
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Laajman(m): 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2010
Problem has always been policy implementation, and not policy formation.

It simply failed because of Govt's attitude towards funding the educational sector.
Schools are in tatters, teachers perpetually on strike, , and like every other thing in Nigeria, afflictions of corruption.

Imagine OBJ opening a University while ASUU was on strike. Even Atiku has his own university. Its simply ridiculous.
Unless the drastic suggestion of forcing children of public officials to school at local, public universities the same
non-chalant attitude would remain.

What's stopping us from recruiting the thousands of University graduates as teachers for primary and secondary schools, btw??
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by amblors(m): 2:09pm On Oct 05, 2010
violent:

and the difference between 6-3-3-4 and 9-3-4 will be?

there's definitely no difference between both systems, my point being the blame on systems (6-3-3-4) or otherwise is mute as the most effective system wont still alleviate the problem.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Alxmyr(m): 2:16pm On Oct 05, 2010
~Bluetooth:

And what solutions did the fcktards proferred cuz all i see through the article is condemnation.

Nigerian press don't report solutions, they only harp on problems.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Bentola: 2:23pm On Oct 05, 2010
I beg to disagree with Mr. President sir. 6-3-3-4 was not an initiation of Nigeria. Nations like Holland and Germany are the greatest advocate of this system. Up till now, it is still working for them. No family gives birth in Nigeria and abandon the child in the hospital. In the contrast, no formidable change in Nigeria had ever been followed through.
It is always abandoned with no regrets.
If you ask why is this so,  The administrators will tell you it is lack fund. The question is: what fund? where is the 1 or 2% corporate tax on education from 1990? where is it diverted? or who is the custordian of this fund?
Where are the lawmakers who should legislate on compulsory interaction between the schools and the industry (the core of 6-3-3-4 System). Where is the link betwen the colleges and bank and technology. The famous Eindhoven University of Technology was established by Philips, the giant Electronics Global Company. Philips is making profit from the university today as is making profit from the research that comes out it.
Every lazy-centered system like ours will continue to live below expectation as long as there are rewards for such laziness.
Mr. President, you came from academics, your former boss was from the same education sector. Do something about it. Let me give one simple piece of advice. You either let people know that those who are entering into academics should not expect money as their conertparts in the oil industry, or You influence a law that will make everyone in the education sector to get paid as their counterpart in the oil industry. Without clear-cut commitment to education, it is doomed. The current case in UK, where education has turned to an abberration should be a learning study for us .
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Oct 05, 2010
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 6-3-3-4 model. Many of us here are products of that system and can state for a fact that the model itself is not the problem but the fact that the Government rarely invested much in it's success.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by juman(m): 2:26pm On Oct 05, 2010
What we need now is STRONG WILL to eradicate corruption. Corruption is eating up all our systems.  6-3-34 is a very good system, but has failled because of poor implementation. I remember when it was introduced, in my school all the mostly fake equipment bought for the system rusted away in the container in the school premises. Some of the equiptment were stole by the students. Nigeria is a FAILED STATE. The only way out for us now is STRONG ANTI-CORRUPTION. No other way.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by violent(m): 2:26pm On Oct 05, 2010
It doesn't stop at Funding the educational sector!. .

I believe one of the problems is highly attributable to the curriculum!

How do you explain to the world that the same curriculum that was taught to our fathers in the early 60s are being used for our kids?. . .duh!. . the world has moved on!

In china, India etc, kids are forced to take highly quantitative courses at a very tender age, crossword puzzles and brain development exercises are also included in their course works, the result of this of course is a child developing good quantitative skills and mental reasoning capacity.

Truth is, the standard hasn't been set high to begin with. . . and silly me to talk about the standards when the teachers are themselves of low IQ levels.

It bothers me to think the government can't put appropriate systems in place to weed out the poorest teachers and employ, motivate/retain really smart ones.
How does a teacher of an IQ in the range of 40-50 teach a kid to explore the peak of his intelligence levels?. . .simply absurd right?

I also find it distracting to talk about good educational systems when laws haven't been put in place to stress the importance of right of kids to education. . .it does sound like someone is beating the wrong drums! . . . Kudos to BRF of Lagos state who would stop at nothing to ensure that kids aren't found hawking stuffs on the street during school hours. . . . .shouldn't the Federal government take a clue from this and extend it further?

All over Northern states, you find kids taking care of cattle, i don't blame them nor blame their family, its what they know how to do, and its not even illegal, i blame the government who doesn't give a flying hat about those kids!

Mr President should stop blaming the 6-3-3-4 system, the same system has produced some brilliant minds in the country.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Beaf: 2:26pm On Oct 05, 2010
Education failed during IBB's regime, not even after. We should never have changed the previous method.
The 6-3-3-4 system has produced two generations of Nigerians that cannot apply logic, except they are naturally gifted.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by violent(m): 2:30pm On Oct 05, 2010
Beaf:

Education failed during IBB's regime, not even after. We should never have changed the previous method.
The 6-3-3-4 system has produced two generations of Nigerians that cannot apply logic, except they are naturally gifted.

actually i'd say it produced the first generations. . , teachers from that generations taught those in the the second generation
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 05, 2010
amblors:

there's definitely no difference between both systems, my point being the blame on systems (6-3-3-4) or otherwise is mute as the most effective system wont still alleviate the problem.
The problem is that they didn't suggest any other structure to replace it.The so-called 9-3-4 was sometimes taunted but I doubt if it has commenced in any school.The problem is that education is not on the priority list of our government.what difference does it make if you reduce or increase the years ? The fact still remain that a primary,post-primary or pre-university and a university stage must feature in any structure they are suggesting.if so,then what is wrong with 6-3-3-4 ? If
6 --primary
3 --post-primary
3 -- pre-university
4 -- university
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Oct 05, 2010
violent:

It doesn't stop at Funding the educational sector!. .
I believe one of the problems is highly attributable to the curriculum!
How do you explain to the world that the same curriculum that was taught to our fathers in the early 60s are being used for our kids?. . .duh!. . the world has moved on!
Truth is, the standard hasn't been set high to begin with. . . and silly me to talk about the standards when the teachers are themselves of low IQ levels.

It bothers me to think the government can't put appropriate systems in place to weed out the poorest teachers and employ, motivate/retain really smart ones.
How does a teacher of an IQ in the range of 40-50 teach a kid to explore the peak of his intelligence levels?. . .simply absurd right?

Mr President should stop blaming the 6-3-3-4 system, the same system has produced some brilliant minds in the country.

I find it appalling that a zoology professor turned president would utter assert that the model is the problem with the educational system in Nigeria.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by juman(m): 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2010
Nigeria suppose to be  the hub of educational development in africa. Just look at Malaysia and Austrialia. This two countries get alot of money from foreign students coming to their country. Why on earth we are not like this? CORRUPTION. The only thing a Nigeria President can do now that move us forward is fighting corruption. This is the only way forward in our present sorry state.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by juman(m): 2:46pm On Oct 05, 2010
Please we Yoruba people need our own nation. ODUA nation. Till when are we going to be gropping in the darkness in Nigeria? This is pathetic. Let our Yoruba leaders talk with the federal goverment and release us to go away from this hopeless and futureless country. Definitely in ODUA nation there will be orderliness. When are we as Nigerians will be competing with other nations and be among first 20 economic giant nations in the world? When are we as Nigerian be producing our own guns? When are we as Nigerians produce a nuclear reactor talkless of nuclear weapon? When are we as Nigerian produce unman drone? ENDLESS. Sorry for Nigerians.
Re: Education: 6-3-3-4 Has Failed – Jonathan by oludashmi(f): 2:47pm On Oct 05, 2010
violent:

actually i'd say it produced the first generations. .  , teachers from that generations taught those in the the second generation
good one!

This is the same system used in the US, Japan, China etc, why is Nigeria's a failure?

Should we say politics has failed in Nigerian cos politics is not good?
The implementation of systems matters alot, not just the announcement or documentation of the system. All that our leaders do is to document a system, move into 1/3 of the system, abandon the 2/3 of the system and expect same result as those who used 4/4 of the same system.

This GEJ sef? He doesnt dig deep into issues b4 concluding. the same way he said the Oct 1 bombing was done by terrorists outside the country. mscheww

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHCN Substation On Fire In Ikoyi, Lagos - Pictures / National Interest Supersedes Individual Rights - Buhari / Leave Amina Zakari Alone - Group Warns PDP, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.