Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,378 members, 7,781,059 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:12 AM

American Vehicle Mechanics - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / American Vehicle Mechanics (2393 Views)

If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Vehicle Mechanics by davidhoop: 10:20am On Oct 05, 2010
hi, does anyone have a reliable mechanic that handles american vehicles? i really need one
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by Onwan: 11:46am On Oct 05, 2010
These days you can't categorise anymore with Range Rovers carrying BMW engines and Mercedes with Crysler parts. What will help you is for you to give an idea of what the problem is, then get information (online from a forum like nairaland or online forum for your car's make/model), then you get a ( recommended ) mechanic to carry out repairs you will supervise.
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by babeface3: 12:59pm On Oct 05, 2010
wonder how available and affordable parts of chevrolet and ford would be.
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by Onwan: 1:11pm On Oct 05, 2010
The good news is Internet. I priced a complete front wheel bearing (hub) for my H2 at Ladipo for 47,000 llast but got it on eBay for $89.00. Thank God for companies like orderbay.com, I ordered for both front sides.

Also you should know that there is a world of information on substitute parts that might not be branded Ford, Chevy but will work very well. That helped me in converting an airmatic shocks to coil spring for less than 10,000.
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by babeface3: 2:22pm On Oct 05, 2010
thats not good incentive for buying such vehicles, run for ya dea l@lph
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by Onwan: 2:26pm On Oct 05, 2010
It depends on your taste in vehicles.
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by bigfather(m): 4:10pm On Oct 05, 2010
davidhoop:

hi, does anyone have a reliable mechanic that handles american vehicles? i really need one

I've got one, he's my mech . What part of lagos are you staying ?
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by davidhoop: 5:40pm On Oct 05, 2010
I'm in search for  someone who is familiar with the repair and maintenance of a gmc safari van 1999 model. I just had the engine replaced but I'm not satisfied with the mechanic working for me. Right now it's a situation of jumping ship before it explodes. I'm close to ikeja
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by Onwan: 7:11pm On Oct 05, 2010
Ok then, you can call Ope on 0807.664.4097, you have to be available to supervise.
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by davidhoop: 7:44pm On Oct 05, 2010
thanks bros
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by infolpf: 4:15am On Apr 03, 2012
Onwan: Ok then, you can call Ope on 0807.664.4097, you have to be available to supervise.

Had quite an experience with Ope today-
He was very responsive, I called him Friday evening, he showed up Monday morning. However, from the minute he took one look at the car, I knew I was in trouble!

Problem?
2000 Chevrolet Astro van, just in from the US. Off the container, we could not get it started. They figured the usual flat battery issue, called a battery chap to work on the battery. Still would not start, and car alarm would now trip off every time they tried to jump it.

My objective this morning was to get Mr Ope to diagnose & fix issue. Ope shows up WITHOUT TOOLS, walks around the car several times, with a confused look on his face. Based on Onwan's suggestion, I had a senior driver available to supervise him. Once vehicle was jumped, he managed, to be fair to him, to disarm the alarm (but I guess even a low level car thief can do that). Then it was confusion. He tried every guess he could think of (most of which were not very educated guesses), then finally settled on the kickstarter. He called some other chap to take a look, this person (I presume to be a "rewire"wink then manages to remove, clean and reinstall the kickstarter. No luck.

Engine would make the usual noises when the key was turned, but still would not turn over (start). Then Ope tells us that it is now the "sensor wires" that need to be replaced and he could get them for N31,000! I asked him to shut down and leave, giving him enough money to get him home!

Lesson learned?
Ope, like most Nigerian Mechanics, plays the trial and error game, unfortunately at the expense of the vehicle owner.

Bottom line? I am still in need of help with the Astro. Any ideas?

1 Like

Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by Nobody: 4:34am On Apr 03, 2012
Call Wale at 08023191273. He will fix your American car in minutes if the problem is related to mechanical problem.
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by infolpf: 5:44am On Apr 03, 2012
^^I will call him, Payless. Thanks!
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by infolpf: 8:34pm On Apr 05, 2012
So, I called Wale today, and can attest to the fact that he knows his onions!
It turns out that it was quite simply an electronic issue - the security system had demobilized the vehicle, and the battery on the remote key chain was dead! One new remote battery later, and a small fix to the mess Ope had created, and the Astro was purring again! Interesting thing happened, it turns out Wale knows my family very well - he was trained by a gentleman named Mr Paul (RIP), who was THE expert at American cars! Mr Paul was my brothers mechanic some 20 odd years ago, until he passed away suddenly. Good man.

Now imagine that I was still dealing with Ope, I would have purchased the new sensor, and he'd still be standing at the hood looking confused and thinking about what to try next...

God save us from ignorance!

1 Like

Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by Nobody: 2:37pm On Apr 08, 2012
In a nut shell, Wale solved the problem if I get you right. I have never met Wale in my entire life, but I know people he has worked for and all of them say good thing about him.
Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by Miroslavklose: 3:58pm On Apr 08, 2012
Wow im really really impressed. Im happy that we still have good Nigerian mechanics.

I have been an honda person all my life from 86 model to 2011 Accord reason being that I have capable mechanics and rewire that would tell u the problem of ur cars without even seeing the car(s) I gave my mechanics number to certain NL last when he had issues with his 2004 accord. The mechanic told him what to do on the phone without seeing the Nlder face to face.

I hope we find good mechanics to deal with our car problems. I left the honda world for the Nissan world recently and serious hoping to get a very tested and trusted Nissan specialized mechanics and not the jack of all trade master of non mechanics.

1 Like

Re: American Vehicle Mechanics by dealerman(m): 1:07pm On Aug 16, 2021
Buy Original Spark Plugs in large quantities for quick disposal. Serious buyers should contact me ASAP – 07014114189 (KayCee)

(1) (Reply)

Where To Get Glass Tinted / What You Need To Know About Car Insurance Policies In Nigeria / Don't Change Your Gear While Vehicle Is Still Moving; Protect Your Gear!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.