Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria (62864 Views)

Why Ladies Should Fear Contraceptives / Attention: Things You Did Not Know About Oral Contraceptives! / Does Contraceptives Make Women Grow Fat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by natasha: 7:48pm On Oct 05, 2010
Hello House,

Please i would like to know the types of contraceptives available in the Nigerian market (other than the coil) and how accessible they are. e.g the names, do you have to get them on prescription via a GP or you can just get them from pharmacies etc
Please i need facts and not stories, thank you.

PS: I'm not interested in the emergency contraception cos well, i'm not interested in emergency contraception, and to the others who'd love to contribute to this post and share their "opinions" on contraception, unless you have used the contraception and want to share your "experience" pls and pls i am not interested in hearing about how taking contraceptives constitutes murder cos it doesnt, (thats me done whinning).
Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by SegzyJoe(m): 3:31pm On Oct 07, 2010
Hi, quite a while.
Contraceptives available now in Nigerian Market

1. Condom (Male- several brands, but the most popular brand is Gold Circle Condom, Female - very few sources)

2. Oral Contraceptives: Pills there are two types (can't remember them now)

3. Emergency Contraceptive: The most popular one is postinor

4. Injectables: Two types- Norristerat and Depo Provera (These two have the hisghest uptake in Nigeria)

5. IUCD: Copper T.

Contraceptive Services include Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation (BTL)

These are the list of available contraceptive methods in Nigeria

Hope these will do.
6.Implants: Three types includes Jadelle, Norplant, Sinoplant

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:30am On Oct 08, 2010
Oh my.  Can you explain how each type of contraceptive on this list works?
Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by natasha: 7:31pm On Oct 08, 2010
@segzy joe - thank u very much. I know about the injection and the emerg contraceptive. I was wanting to know if the combined contraceptive or progesterone only pills are available. would really love to know the brand names of the contraceptives available in the Nigerian Market.
I also already have knowlegde of the coil et al but thank u all the same for reiterating. (atleast i know its still in circulation).
Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by Sissy3(f): 9:27pm On Oct 08, 2010
Seun:

Condom Female

MALE: collect semen before, during, and after ejaculation.prevents sperm from entering the vagina.

FEMALE: It collects semen and prevents the sperm from entering the woman's body

Oral Contraceptives

stops the action of the hormones that trigger ovulation. prevents the release of egg. makes the sperm hard to swim by thickening the cervical mucous

Emergency Contraceptive: 

may work in many ways to prevent preg. delay ovulation, affect development of uterus lining or disrupt fertilization process etc

Injectables- Depo Provera

thickens cervical mucus and suppressing ovulation

IUCD: Copper T. 

irritates the lining of the uterus, making it harder for implantation. serves as an irritant who the white blood cells(wbc)will go the area of the inflamed uterus and help destroy the sperms. blocks sperm from reaching an egg

Vasectomy   

vas deferens that carry sperm into the semen is cut apart,clamped,tied off. you will still produce semen but it will not contain sperm so it leaves you unable to impregnate. even if you produce sperm, your body reabsorbs it

Tubal Ligation

sterilizes a woman by preventing an egg from traveling to the uterus. blocks sperm from being able to enter the fallopian tube where fertilization usually occurs
Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by SegzyJoe(m): 4:12pm On Oct 11, 2010
Thanks Sissy for the explanations. I have been away and very busy right now. I will come back with the brand names later. Thanks
Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by pleep(m): 5:04pm On May 24, 2013
my cant you people just use condoms... my god

1 Like

Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by thormmywa: 6:13am On May 30, 2013
condom breaks bro, especially ruff ryder...just experienced one, will stick to my G circle jeje

1 Like

Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by amonigeria: 12:44am On Sep 19, 2013
Hormonal contraceptive

Combined oral contraceptives (COCs);
Progestin-only contraceptive pills (POPs);
Ordinary pills
Injectable contraceptives (2 months, 3months)
contraceptive implants(Jadelle, Implanon, Zarin)
Hormone-releasing intrauterine systems (LNG20-IUS)
Dedicated products for emergency contraception ( Postinor2, ECee2,)

Intrauterine Contraceptive methods

Copper-based IUCDs
Hormone-releasing devices. IUCDs

Voluntary surgical Contraceptives[/color]

Tubal ligation
Vasectomy

Barrier Method of Contraceptive[color=#000099]

male and female condoms,
Spermicides
Diaphragms
Cervical caps

Natural Family Planning method[/color]
Withdrawal method (coitus interrupters)
Safe period (rhythm method)
Breastfeeding amenorrhea method

CHECK [color=#000099]http://clinicnigeria..com
FOR EXPLANATIONS
Re: Types Of Contraceptives Available In Nigeria by airminem(f): 1:36pm On Mar 27, 2017
Seun:

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Lagos Provides More Information About Nigeria's First Case / Woman Who Makes Kunu With Old Pants Caught In Kenya (Photos, Video) / How A Nairalander's Face Got Burnt While Using Pressure Pot (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.