Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words (856 Views)

EDITORIAL: President Buhari’s Anti-corruption War Has Not Started / Doyin Okupe's Reaction To The Embarrassing Video On Twitter / President Jonathan And His Campaign Team Arrive Onitsha, Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by texazzpete(m): 7:19am On Oct 06, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5627142-182/ongoing_concerns__embarrassing_words_.csp

In 1939, at the beginning of the World War II, the British Ministry of Information printed more than two million copies of a poster that bore the words KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON, as one of a set of three posters designed to inspire a weary British public in the event of a German invasion. Today those words are famous - in Britain at least - despite the fact that the posters were never eventually distributed to the public.

Today, those words are sorely needed on the other side of the Atlantic. Over the weekend, the man we assumed was our president, who only a few weeks ago moved us with lofty words of hope, and a vision of transformation, shot himself in the foot and then put the bloody foot in his mouth.

When, in the aftermath of the October 1 blasts the president insisted on absolving the alleged perpetrators of responsibility, in that instant he ceased to be the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and became something much smaller.

In April, after an ailing President Yar’Adua played host to Islamic clerics in Aso Rock, I wrote (in this column): “When a man [who’s] supposed to be the president of a multi-religious country chooses to secretly reveal himself only to Islamic clerics, five weeks after being smuggled into the country, one begins to wonder if he’s actually the president, or merely the overrated leader of a shadowy Islamic sect.”

Today, sadly, I am compelled to apply a modified version of those words to Mr. Yar’Adua’s successor.

“When a man [who’s] supposed to be the president of a multi-ethnic country chooses to transform himself into the spokesperson of a regional militant group with an incontrovertible reputation for violence, one begins to wonder if perhaps it isn’t time to acknowledge the fact that there is indeed a vacancy in the presidential palace.’’

Mr. Jonathan was quoted as saying: “What happened yesterday was a terrorist act and MEND was just used as a straw; MEND is not a terrorist group. It is erroneous to think that my people who have been agitating for good living will deliberately blow up the opportunity they have now.”

With those embarrassing words Mr. President missed out on an amazing opportunity to use the tragedy to send a powerful message to the Nigerian people; a message of comfort, a rallying cry to unite against shedders of blood and enemies of progress.

Imagine if the president had gone on air immediately (his speech accompanied by translations into all major Nigerian languages) and paid tribute to all the lives sacrificed in the name of Nigeria since 1960: including, but not limited to, Biafra’s war dead; the thousands who have died in religious crises in the last three decades; even the five persons who died when MEND attacked the Atlas Cove jetty in July 2009 (the same MEND that the president would like us to believe are meek as lambs and innocent as babies).

Imagine if the President had sought to weave a sober narrative of hope and unity and righteous anger “from the sorrow, tears and blood”.

But no, instead of rising to the demands of the moment, Mr. Jonathan panicked, and sank, dragging the entire nation with him. The incident momentarily stripped him of his presidential garb and wrapped him in the gaudy garments of a ‘tribal’ chieftain.

Now I will leave the in-depth debate about ‘whether it was MEND or not’ for another time. My concern in this piece is less with ‘whodunit?’ than with ‘whatcanwelearn?’

You and I know that blowing Abuja up is hardly the most challenging task in a country where whole ships are liable to go missing, and where the original copy of the report of a probe into the disappearance of $12 billion can vanish without trace.

And for those who, like the president, insist that it was impostors using the name of MEND, I say, ‘what have you been smoking?’ MEND has never been known to be silent. Jomo Gbomo - whoever he/she/they/it might be - may be guilty of many things, but tongue biting is certainly not one of them.

If MEND is indeed being ‘impersonated’, why isn’t the real MEND proclaiming its innocence to the highest heavens? Shaped as my generation has been by conspiracy series like ‘24’ and movies lik Salt’, perhaps we should be willing to concede to the possibility that the entire senior hierarchy of the real MEND has been kidnapped, is being held incommunicado, and is hence unable to defend itself. Anything is indeed possible in a country whose president panics in the most public of ways.

The first victory of Friday’s attackers was to blow Abuja up. The second victory was to cause Mr. Jonathan to blow himself up (using Words of Maximum Destruction) - in panic, I insist - and to severely damage our confidence in his ability to be the strong leader Nigeria needs.

Let me warn him: he will be tested again. The least he can do in preparation is to learn from this incident. The buck will stop, as always, at his table. Nigeria needs a Commander-in-Chief, not a Panicker-in-Power.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by texazzpete(m): 7:20am On Oct 06, 2010
Culled from 234Next. Credits go to the original writer of the piece, i just wanted to share this with y'all.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 06, 2010
incisive editorial
powerful points made
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by Pukkah: 7:35am On Oct 06, 2010
Unfortunately, Jonathan came across as speaking in defence of MEND, a leader does not do that. Let all investigations by the relevant organs finish before intimating the country of their findings. I hope he has learnt from this mistake.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by ayo84(m): 7:53am On Oct 06, 2010
All ye IBB mercenaries
everywhere,all paid and assembled to be online mercenaries
from sahara reporters to nairaland
post and post anything rubbish information to discredit GEJ and promote IBB,either directly or indirectly
IBB's cunning skills and evil genius strategy at work again it will not work,nigerians have to see the TRUTH
its all a smoke screen created by IBB.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by okeymadu(m): 8:14am On Oct 06, 2010
@OP. Look there is nothing wrong with the president informing the nation that the bombing was viewed as an act of terrorism rather than militancy. You needed to understand the message in his speech except ofcourse you are looking for ways to get at him - which I believe w was your intention.

As to defending MEND, well you miss represented him. What I think he meart was tht that group he believed was only being used as a smoke screen. Is anything wrong with that?
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by DisGuy: 8:24am On Oct 06, 2010
Pukkah:

Unfortunately, Jonathan came across as speaking in defence of MEND, a leader does not do that. Let all investigations by the relevant organs finish before intimating the country of their findings. I hope he has learnt from this mistake.

you are assuming he sees/recognises this as a mistake?
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by chosen04(f): 8:25am On Oct 06, 2010
JEGA. . . . . . . . . . .Just lost a Vote!!!!!!!!!
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by naso2(m): 8:52am On Oct 06, 2010
chosen04:

JEGA. . . . . . . . . . .Just lost a Vote!!!!!!!!!

Story story. . . As if you ever planned to vote for him before.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by Bawss1(m): 8:58am On Oct 06, 2010
Again I say these are probably the most self-damning words spoken by a Nigerian Leader.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by onyengbu1(m): 9:36am On Oct 06, 2010
texazzpete:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5627142-182/ongoing_concerns__embarrassing_words_.csp

In 1939, at the beginning of the World War II, the British Ministry of Information printed more than two million copies of a poster that bore the words KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON, as one of a set of three posters designed to inspire a weary British public in the event of a German invasion. Today those words are famous - in Britain at least - despite the fact that the posters were never eventually distributed to the public.

Today, those words are sorely needed on the other side of the Atlantic. Over the weekend, the man we assumed was our president, who only a few weeks ago moved us with lofty words of hope, and a vision of transformation, shot himself in the foot and then put the bloody foot in his mouth.

When, in the aftermath of the October 1 blasts the president insisted on absolving the alleged perpetrators of responsibility, in that instant he ceased to be the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and became something much smaller.

In April, after an ailing President Yar’Adua played host to Islamic clerics in Aso Rock, I wrote (in this column): “When a man [who’s] supposed to be the president of a multi-religious country chooses to secretly reveal himself only to Islamic clerics, five weeks after being smuggled into the country, one begins to wonder if he’s actually the president, or merely the overrated leader of a shadowy Islamic sect.”

Today, sadly, I am compelled to apply a modified version of those words to Mr. Yar’Adua’s successor.

“When a man [who’s] supposed to be the president of a multi-ethnic country chooses to transform himself into the spokesperson of a regional militant group with an incontrovertible reputation for violence, one begins to wonder if perhaps it isn’t time to acknowledge the fact that there is indeed a vacancy in the presidential palace.’’

Mr. Jonathan was quoted as saying: “What happened yesterday was a terrorist act and MEND was just used as a straw; MEND is not a terrorist group. It is erroneous to think that my people who have been agitating for good living will deliberately blow up the opportunity they have now.”

With those embarrassing words Mr. President missed out on an amazing opportunity to use the tragedy to send a powerful message to the Nigerian people; a message of comfort, a rallying cry to unite against shedders of blood and enemies of progress.

Imagine if the president had gone on air immediately (his speech accompanied by translations into all major Nigerian languages) and paid tribute to all the lives sacrificed in the name of Nigeria since 1960: including, but not limited to, Biafra’s war dead; the thousands who have died in religious crises in the last three decades; even the five persons who died when MEND attacked the Atlas Cove jetty in July 2009 (the same MEND that the president would like us to believe are meek as lambs and innocent as babies).

Imagine if the President had sought to weave a sober narrative of hope and unity and righteous anger “from the sorrow, tears and blood”.

But no, instead of rising to the demands of the moment, Mr. Jonathan panicked, and sank, dragging the entire nation with him. The incident momentarily stripped him of his presidential garb and wrapped him in the gaudy garments of a ‘tribal’ chieftain.

Now I will leave the in-depth debate about ‘whether it was MEND or not’ for another time. My concern in this piece is less with ‘whodunit?’ than with ‘whatcanwelearn?’

You and I know that blowing Abuja up is hardly the most challenging task in a country where whole ships are liable to go missing, and where the original copy of the report of a probe into the disappearance of $12 billion can vanish without trace.

And for those who, like the president, insist that it was impostors using the name of MEND, I say, ‘what have you been smoking?’ MEND has never been known to be silent. Jomo Gbomo - whoever he/she/they/it might be - may be guilty of many things, but tongue biting is certainly not one of them.

[size=18pt]If MEND is indeed being ‘impersonated’, why isn’t the real MEND proclaiming its innocence to the highest heavens?[/size] Shaped as my generation has been by conspiracy series like ‘24’ and movies lik Salt’, perhaps we should be willing to concede to the possibility that the entire senior hierarchy of the real MEND has been kidnapped, is being held incommunicado, and is hence unable to defend itself. Anything is indeed possible in a country whose president panics in the most public of ways.

The first victory of Friday’s attackers was to blow Abuja up. The second victory was to cause Mr. Jonathan to blow himself up (using Words of Maximum Destruction) - in panic, I insist - and to severely damage our confidence in his ability to be the strong leader Nigeria needs.

Let me warn him: he will be tested again. The least he can do in preparation is to learn from this incident. The buck will stop, as always, at his table. Nigeria needs a Commander-in-Chief, not a Panicker-in-Power.
I will take it that the writer did not watch TV last night.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by jamace(m): 9:58am On Oct 06, 2010
OP
There is nothing embarassing in GEJ's statement. You don't expect him to keep quiet considering the magnitude of the action of the terrorists.
I feel his zeal to keep Nigerians informed of events and carry every body along made him to make the statement, and that is what demoracy is for.

Again, You have only informed us to give GEJ credit for being able to carry on with the celebration despite the intimidating anti-govt security reports at his disposal. As far as I'm concerned, GEJ has lived up to expectation as a courageous and dynamic man who can lead this nation to the promised land, compared to your expired IBB (apology to EL-rufai), who you are trying to force down our throat, by fire by force.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by mogentle(m): 11:05am On Oct 06, 2010
No weapon/bomb fashioned against GEJ shall prosper!!!
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by texazzpete(m): 11:52am On Oct 06, 2010
ayo84:

All ye IBB mercenaries
post and post anything rubbish information to discredit GEJ and promote IBB,either directly or indirectly
IBB's cunning skills and evil genius strategy at work again it will not work,nigerians have to see the TRUTH

Just because someone is critical of Jonathan, it doesn't mean the person is being sponsored by IBB. The level of imbecility employed to arrive at that conclusion is staggering. One wonders what kind of change you clowns are talking about if constructive criticism is not allowed.

For the record, I loathe IBB. But we assumed Jonathan would be the answer. A Ph.D holder! The final turning point when a philosopher became king!
Now I and many others are being weighed down by crushing disappointment. More so because we probably will still vote for him, just with less optimism and more cynicism.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by jamace(m): 12:47pm On Oct 06, 2010
Just because someone is critical of Jonathan, it doesn't mean the person is being sponsored by IBB. The level of imbecility employed to arrive at that conclusion is staggering. One wonders what kind of change you clowns are talking about if constructive criticism is not allowed.

For the record, I loathe IBB. But we assumed Jonathan would be the answer. A Ph.D holder! The final turning point when a philosopher became king!
Now I and many others are being weighed down by crushing disappointment. More so because we probably will still vote for him, just with less optimism and more cynicism.

Like I said, GEJ has not actually disappointed. He is only zealous in his leadership style, to comply with democratic tenets , that the led must be kept in the know of happenings on time.

The fact is that enemies of the state are putting him under unnecesary pressure in order to discredit him should he staggers. So, he should be forgiven for his zealousness because it is not easy charting a new good course in an already battered terrain infested with crooks who believe in the status quo.

Believe in GEJ for a better Nigeria.

Shalom.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 09, 2010
I cant believe how blindly pro-jonathan some of you are. This piece was on-point and obviously without a trace of malice and yet you would attack it's writer and the poster? Yall need to stop being dumb and learn to accept criticism. Jonathan is NOT a great leader,not even a good one yet, but I have hope,millions of Nigerians do.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by blacksta(m): 7:40am On Oct 09, 2010
ayo84:

All ye IBB mercenaries

This line is now boring  please try something else - Why is that everybody who shares a different view about Jonathan tagged Pro IBB - abeg get a life.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by Faeb: 8:07am On Oct 09, 2010
I wonder why people get into these foolish fads? Jonathan gave his view of the bombing after being briefed and suddenly every guguru seller is a detective that knows what is going on behind the scenes and how to handle it.
We have long taken our eye off the ball. In fact, when we were told about the two wanted men, many scoffed in that now familiar shallow way and immediately concluded that the names were made up. It really is strange how mama Caro and Baba Dokas have become cut and join security champs who know it all. Every vulcaniser and rewire now knows more than the SSS.

There are shrill voices on here about how certain critics aren't playing to IBB's tune. So whose tune exactly are you playing to when it escapes you that it took IBB 7 days to commiserate, when it escapes you that non of your would be leaders (except GEJ) has actually visited the wounded. When people begin to miss the obvious, is it not because they are unhealthily engaged? Jonathan is human and is bound to make errors. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that Yar Adua be impeached because of the numerous religious pogroms under his watch, yet a bomb goes off and people take up arms, asking GEJ to resign (as if he planted the bombs). Part of the reason for this strange turn of events, no doubt, is that he is from a minority group whose voice is not that loud (I pity Nigeria, there's a long way to go).

A lot of folk might protest that they never joined the call for GEJ's resignation, but they've got to realise that this foolish over the top reaction, plays directly into the agenda of the Ciroma's, Yakasai's and IBB's. Yet they scream, "I am not with IBB!" Well you ain't thinking straight if you think you ain't.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 09, 2010
^^^

and the even more embarrassing words of the incoherents who are on his bandwagon
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by Faeb: 8:20am On Oct 09, 2010
^
I was talking to intelligent people; not nitwits, retards or the mentally hampered who can't understand a word of what is being said, but feel they must "say something."

Daft.
Re: Editorial: President Jonathan And His Embarrassing Words by egift(m): 8:23am On Oct 09, 2010
[size=18pt]President Goodluck = Panicker-in-Power[/size]

I like that line. He just negative post on his Facebook page, he will reverse every decision he have made
(No aim, no plan, no vision - just hoping by luck things will get better).

(1) (Reply)

SA Based Mercenary In Nigeria; 17000 Rounds Of Ammo Found In His Home / Fayemi Is New Ekiti State Governor / City Mall, City Swank(with pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.