Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,101 members, 7,807,309 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

Police Shut Thisday Newspapers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Shut Thisday Newspapers (4702 Views)

Sarakigate: Saraki Divided Our Party - Buhari (ThisDay Newspapers) / BREAKING News:the Board Of Editors For THISDAY Newspapers Projects Buhari Winner / Obasanjo As Nigeria's Moral Compass - By Simon Kolawole (thisday Newspapers) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by shadrach77: 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2010
Police Shut ThisDay
print
Author: Date: Oct 6th, 2010. | Category: Metro, News. | Follow comments: RSS 2.0. | You can leave a response below. |
The Nigerian police this morning stormed the premises of ThisDay Newspapers in Apapa, Lagos, South-West Nigeia and shut down its operations, P.M.NEWS has learnt.

According to sources close to the media outfit, security operatives, acting on a court order, forcefully entered the company’s office complex and chased away all the workers on duty.

While there, they seized both the official and private cars parked in the premises and also carted away all the computers (both desktop and laptop) found in their offices.

Some of the staff who spoke with P.M.NEWS refused to comment on the invasion, but confirmed police presence in the newspaper’s complex.

—Funsho Arogundade
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by 5columnist: 4:07pm On Oct 06, 2010
Thisday is owing a lot and their core promoter has gone political as well.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2010
it has started again

do or die politics

we all remember how ait's license was revoked and their offices burned down during operation 3rd term

we also remember how this days chief editor or wetin call was assassinated

gej is learning well from uncle sege
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by 5columnist: 4:26pm On Oct 06, 2010
It is not Jonathan O. Court injunction or the fifth columnist is responsible. Thisday promoter arranged for Joanathan to meet the ex-militants yesterday so the notion that it is Jonathan is wrong.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 06, 2010
5columnist:

Thisday is owing a lot and their core promoter has gone political as well.

5columnist:

It is not Jonathan O. Court injunction or the fifth columnist is responsible. Thisday promoter arranged for Joanathan to meet the ex-militants yesterday so the notion that it is Jonathan is wrong.

ALL THESE GEJ SUPPORTERS REGULARLY POST OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF THEIR MOUTH IS ALL I CAN SAY
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by maimalari: 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2010
GEJ 2011 = OBJ'S 3rd term. Shikina.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Ade0001(m): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2010
the report says " security operatives, acting on a court order" . i think it's fair for people to get the details of the purported court order before pointing accusing finger at GEJ. we don't have to associate everything with politics. The truth is that Thisday has been in debt for a while
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by wesley80(m): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2010
oyb:

ALL THESE GEJ SUPPORTERS REGULARLY  POST OUT OF BOTH SIDES OF THEIR MOUTH IS ALL I CAN SAY

You dont know any better and you castigate those that are trying 2 get u informed. Oya wallow in your ignorance
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by TewMuch: 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2010
They tried to use their bribe award to extort fashola recently didnt they? Or maybe. . . .the plot thickens oh. This suspense is too much. Lets be watching. Nairaland is getting too interesting, so much drama. grin cheesy
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Ben13: 4:58pm On Oct 06, 2010
wesley80:

You dont know any better and you castigate those that are trying 2 get u informed. Oya wallow in your ignorance
tongue
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by naso2(m): 4:58pm On Oct 06, 2010
oyb:

it has started again

do or die politics

we all remember how ait's license was revoked and their offices burned down during operation 3rd term

we also remember how this days chief editor or wetin call was assassinated

gej is learning well from uncle sege

When people that claim to be progressives dont read before they comment  and show off this annoying level of prejudice, it makes me want to throw up. The report says the action  is based on a court order and you did not even bother to find out the story behind the order. Nonsense.

If GEJ has not closed down more critical newpapers houses, then why Thisday?
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by excanny: 6:37pm On Oct 06, 2010
While there, they seized both the
official and private cars parked in
the premises and also carted
away all the computers (both
desktop and laptop) found in
their offices.

This is the only thing i see as abnormal in this operation, every other thing was done in the normal process of possession taking, so let's not completely rule out a political angle to this story.

Normally, no property is supposed to be taken out. The compound will be evacuated of people, sealed off and security agents placed there, pending further actions.

Taking away their computers seem suspicious. Are they trying to hide something?
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by wesley80(m): 6:48pm On Oct 06, 2010
excanny:

This is the only thing i see as abnormal in this operation, every other thing was done in the normal process of possession taking, so let's not completely rule out a political angle to this story.

Normally, no property is supposed to be taken out. The compound will be evacuated of people, sealed off and security agents placed there, pending further actions.

Taking away their computers seem suspicious. Are they trying to hide something?

So have you heard of the word "Distrain" before?
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by seanet02: 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2010
OYB cant you understand COURT ORDER? stop your short sightedness or else you will WALLOW IN IGNORANCE FOR EVER.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by excanny: 6:59pm On Oct 06, 2010
wesley80:

So have you heard of the word "Distrain" before?

No. You mind telling us what it means.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by wesley80(m): 7:03pm On Oct 06, 2010
excanny:

No. You mind telling us what it means.

I go marry wife for you come still help you give her belle? Abeg google it and stop being lazy!
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 06, 2010
seanet02:

OYB cant you understand COURT ORDER? stop your short sightedness or else you will WALLOW IN IGNORANCE FOR EVER.

we are watching

you guys will soon eat your words. no be gej? tongue
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by slap1(m): 7:29pm On Oct 06, 2010
Breaking News: 400 die of lead poisoning. Some people will also say : ah, GEJ. Haba!
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by excanny: 7:58pm On Oct 06, 2010
@ wesley80

I didn't see anything in the definition of 'distrain' that says 'to take away' or 'to remove'. It says 'to seize'. So what i said is still in line.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by paddylo1(m): 8:01pm On Oct 06, 2010
[size=14pt]N500m Suit: Bailiffs cart away properties from Thisday Lagos Office[/size]

[size=14pt]Bailiffs acting on the orders of an Umahia High Court, today stormed the Lagos office of Thisday Newspapers, carting away valuables.

Pointblanknews.com learnt that the action was sequel to a judgement in a N500 million libel suit in favor of Ex Abia Governor, Orji Kalu.
[/size]
A columnist, Bello Barkindo, [size=14pt]had a few years ago , in his column, depicted Kalu as a fraudster with international dimension. Kalu took exceptions at the characterization and subsequently dragged Thisday to court.[/size]

Sources told Pointblanknews.com on wednesday that the bailiffs, backed by policemen, carted away scores of the company's vehicles, and computers, while staffers watched helplessly in disbelief.

The development, it was further gathered , may slow down the publication of thursday's edition of the newspaper. Thisday also has a formidable press in Abuja .

[size=14pt]The CEO, Nduka Obaigbena is said to be unruffled as he is relying on the Abuja press. He is expected to appeal.[/size]

http://www.pointblanknews.com/News/os4012.html
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by paddylo1(m): 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2010
Orji Uzoh Kalu and his Kangaroo court Judgement from umuahia. . . i hope that clears the air

By the way is Orji uzor Kalu not a fraudster of international dimensions?. . or am i missing something. .
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by edoyad(m): 8:06pm On Oct 06, 2010
Let me guess , gej made orji file a law suit a few years back in anticipation of this. This Goodluck na evil, predictive genius.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by naso2(m): 8:07pm On Oct 06, 2010
This confused OYB will not show up here again, he goes searching for another thread to discredit GEJ.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by MaiSuya(m): 8:29pm On Oct 06, 2010
Bailiffs acting on the orders of an Umahia High Court, today stormed the Lagos office of Thisday Newspapers, carting away valuables.

Sources told Pointblanknews.com on wednesday that the bailiffs, backed by policemen, carted away scores of the company's vehicles, and computers, while staffers watched helplessly in disbelief.

Can the court really order such a thing? I smell something. . .
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by slap1(m): 8:43pm On Oct 06, 2010
edoyad:

Let me guess , gej made orji file a law suit a few years back in anticipation of this. This Goodluck na evil, predictive genius.

lol.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by wesley80(m): 8:46pm On Oct 06, 2010
@-Suya, Yes the courts can. I think its your burning suya u're smelling.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 06, 2010
na_so:

This confused OYB will not show up here again, he goes searching for another thread to discredit GEJ.

who needs to discredit a man who has mastered the art of snatching defeat rom the jaws of victory and persistently embarrassing his shrinking fan base?

1 Like

Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 06, 2010
maimalari:

GEJ 2011 = OBJ'S 3rd term. Shikina.
For my love for GEJ, he should think twice before allowing OBJ to plant him in 2011. Yes, plant him. He should check the files and find out how those OBJ has planted in the past ended up.

1979 - Shagari
2007 - Yaradua. grin grin grin
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by wesley80(m): 10:17pm On Oct 06, 2010
@Oyb - Surely you must be speaking of Obama! But if u were refering to GEJ than its not Novel is it? Fans are a fickle bunch they come and go but what matters is who would eventually have about enuff when it matters d most. GEJ GEJ GEJ u wanna bet?
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by Abagworo(m): 10:19pm On Oct 06, 2010
lies
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by texazzpete(m): 10:26pm On Oct 06, 2010
Lol. As if a high court in Umuahia was ever going to rule against Orji Kalu.
Re: Police Shut Thisday Newspapers by TewMuch: 10:31pm On Oct 06, 2010
That is a very biased judgment. N500 million, to the criminal of Abia. Who under his watch, the worst things in Nigeria happened. He is greedy enough, and has enough time on his hand to chase settlements. The people of Abia should sue him in Abuja for double that amount. Very greedy guy, am sure the ThisDay dude will get a better judgment overruling that nonsense Orji got in Abuja.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Massive Weapons Uncovered In Northern Nigeria / Supreme Court Sacks UC Rusal From ALSCON / So T. Y Danjuma Arrested (& killed?!?) Gen. Aguiyi Ironsi And He Is Still Free?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.