Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,800 members, 7,806,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan (4762 Views)

Terrorism: I Headed A Military That Lacked Equipment & Motivation To Fight – CDS / UK Courts Did Not Exonerate Kasamu Of Drug Peddling Charges: FG / Mend: Jonathan Is a Liar, We Will Strike Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by nduchucks: 1:51am On Oct 08, 2010
Part I

Abuja — President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said he never exonerated the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) for the October 1 bombings in Abuja, pointing out that what he meant was that fifth columnists should not hide under the cover of MEND to wreak havoc.

Jonathan who spoke through his campaign organisation in a statement issued by the director of media and publicity, Mr. Sully Abu, said rather than look only at MEND, government is aware of statements by some top ranking Nigerians capable of affecting the social harmony in the system.

Abu said some of Jonathan's political opponents should not turn such a national calamity into causes to divert people's attention from serious solutions to such problems or divert the attention of security agencies working on the matter.

He also warned people like Alhaj Kaita, whom the campaign organization claimed boasted to be ready to face the law to explain their position, as such statements could be considered treasonable.

Part of the statement read: "Recent statements by some of our political opponents over the terrorist bombing near Eagle Square in Abuja on October 1 have tended to politicize what is a simple matter of crime and its investigation.

"When President Jonathan, during a visit to the National Hospital to commiserate with victims of the bombing, said the terrorist act should not merely be ascribed to MEND, what he was simply saying was that nobody should use the name of any organization to cover up a heinous crime. He was not absolving MEND or any other group of blame or culpability.

"The first time the President spoke on the bombings was at the ECOWAS parliament in Abuja. There, he had pointed out that a heinous crime had been committed against the country and innocent lives had been lost.

"He thus considered it a gratuitous insult for anyone to claim that it was done by MEND, or had anything to do with the Niger Delta. This is even more, since government was in touch with the leadership of MEND (all of whom had renounced violence), and they all agreed that the organization had nothing to do with the blasts.

"The President sought to put the correct emphasis on the urgent need to get to the bottom of that sordid act of terror and to unearth the perpetrators, because after all, anyone can hide under the umbrella of MEND or any other organization or body for that matter to cover up acts of malfeasance.

"It is high time we did away with the rather lazy approach of explaining away criminal activity by blaming armed robbers or assassins as if such categorization takes away from the severity of the offence.

"Such an approach has somehow affected the investigation of some high profile murders committed in this country in recent memory including the murder of such prominent citizens as the late Dele Giwa, Alfred Rewane, Bola Ige, Marshal Harry and A. K. Dikibo, amongst others.

"With regards to the claims and vituperations of Henry Okah, a member of MEND who was granted pardon under the amnesty programme initiated by former President, late Umaru Yar'Adua, the point is if he has committed a crime and is in anyway linked to the bombing of October 1 he will be brought to justice.

SIGH
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by nduchucks: 1:55am On Oct 08, 2010
Part II

"No amount of obfuscation and diversionary tactics will prevent the full investigation of that crime against our fatherland on October 1.

"For those who insist that there was a rush to judgment on the part of the President on this matter, it bears restating that what he sought to do was to reassure Nigerians that the perpetrators will be found, a process which could be hampered by a rather casual attribution of the violence to MEND.

"As President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, it is his bounden duty to speak out in times of danger in order to reassure the populace of the government's commitment to their safety and wellbeing.

"This is the practice wherever you have a responsible government that is committed to the welfare of its people.

"Our campaign organization stands by the President. The campaign urges him not to be swayed by the loud protestations in certain quarters clearly orchestrated to divert and confuse the real issue: that an act of war was launched against Nigeria on October 1, which claimed the lives of many innocent Nigerians. Its masterminds and perpetrators must be fished out and punished.

"Those promising to make the country ungovernable for President Jonathan, as Alhaji Kaita openly boasted recently must be ready to keep a date with the law.

"We are after all a country governed by laws, and the laws of treason are very clear in this regard.

"We were all witnesses to the high wire political mischief played in years gone by, all aimed at achieving effortless regime change.

"We remember how fifth columnists executed searches on the homes of the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo and others, to achieve predetermined ends.

"We also recall how, in that epoch, the issue of 53 suitcases was contrived to ease a putsch against Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.

"Clearly we are on the march again, and the same characters of yesteryears are the game players once again. But this time, Nigerians can not be fooled.

"Our people remain eternally vigilant, and we call on the security agencies not to hesitate to charge anyone found culpable with the relevant laws of the land," the statement added

Source: http://allafrica.com/stories/201010070108.html

Mr. President needs new handlers.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by MaziUche0(m): 1:56am On Oct 08, 2010
Speaking out of both sides of his mouth.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by nduchucks: 1:59am On Oct 08, 2010
MaziUche0:

Speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

Ezeokwu. It is quite disgraceful.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by IbrahimB: 2:04am On Oct 08, 2010
Gameplan don change!  grin
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:10am On Oct 08, 2010
What the heck is he paying the minister of communication for? She needs to get to work making sure this does not end up the same way she BUNGLED the yar adua issue.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Nobody: 2:17am On Oct 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What the heck is he paying the minister of communication for? She needs to get to work making sure this does not end up the same way she BUNGLED the yar adua issue.

The Presidential spokesman you mean?

Ideally the Minister for Communication should be concerned with management of IT infrastructure around the country.

The President already has a press secretary. Dora needs to go and read her job description and learn how to stay out of these sort of issues
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Abagworo(m): 2:22am On Oct 08, 2010
He has done the right thing.I forgive him.Any man who admits his mistakes is a good leader.But I am still mad at those trying to justify that wrong claim exonerating MEND.They were so quick to label every upright commentator as being pro-IBB.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 08, 2010
Abagworo:

He has done the right thing.I forgive him.Any man who admits his mistakes is a good leader.But I am still mad at those trying to justify that wrong claim exonerating MEND.They were so quick to label every upright commentator as being pro-IBB.

Can't you see that their thinking is the same as those of their masters?

Otherwise why did SSS invite Raymond Dokpesi for questioning but no Dalhatu Tafida
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Nobody: 3:13am On Oct 08, 2010
What is not proved, and what is not, are the same; it is not a defect of the law, but a want of proof
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by zipper003: 3:37am On Oct 08, 2010
What a way to Get re-elected into Office! they are all DEMONS AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, IBB, GEJ, BUHARI, ETC. ETC! they should sacrificing innocent human lives for their selfish gains.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by egift(m): 4:24am On Oct 08, 2010
Everyone can now see that Okah was correct. It was in hope that he (Okah) will talk that made them say and do all they did. Now they will keep dribbling themselves in hope we will all forget.

Where are the perpetrators he told are already caught? And why did he invite MEND to the villa, if not him absorbing them and even stating so? Pathetic - he is reading comments off his page and perhaps they are not so rosy grin grin grin
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by MaziUche0(m): 4:26am On Oct 08, 2010
As I said before, this is pathetic. . .
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by 9ijaMan: 4:35am On Oct 08, 2010
Once again, this dastardly act will be swept under the carpet. These guys are all a bunch of clowns.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by MaziUche0(m): 4:49am On Oct 08, 2010
9ijaMan:

Once again, this dastardly act will be swept under the carpet. These guys are all a bunch of clowns.

Of course it will.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by egift(m): 5:36am On Oct 08, 2010
9ijaMan:

They now hope we will wake up and not remember anything again.

Inviting terrorists for a cup of coffee in the Villa - while some of the dead are even yet to be buried - damn
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by princekevo(m): 5:59am On Oct 08, 2010
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said he never exonerated the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) for the October 1 bombings in Abuja, pointing out that what he meant was that fifth columnists should not hide under the cover of MEND to wreak havoc.

LOL!!! With such double standard from Mr. president, am sure even his supporter will not near this thread, becoz they don't even know how to defend him again. Since 3 day now they have been trying to twist the truth for us to believe that they was nothing like MEND anymore. Here comes the president again deny exonerating MEND for the Bombing. That means MEND still remains the prime suspect here. Am jst sitting down here laughing my a$$ off, somebody must have called the guy to order to better clear himself be is too late.

The blind supporter fail to understand that Jonathan is still Novice as long as politics is concern. There is a learning process in everything we know, but these blind support always want to prove how right he is in everything he does and say. He is luck to be a president in country where many are jst siddon dey look(Dundee's). If he was the president of US and committed such blunder, by now the media would have roasted him dry before he realises himself.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Nobody: 6:00am On Oct 08, 2010
"No amount of obfuscation and diversionary tactics will prevent the full investigation of that crime against our fatherland on October 1.

"For those who insist that there was a rush to judgment on the part of the President on this matter, it bears restating that what he sought to do was to reassure Nigerians that the perpetrators will be found, a process which could be hampered by a rather casual attribution of the violence to MEND.

"As President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, it is his bounden duty to speak out in times of danger in order to reassure the populace of the government's commitment to their safety and wellbeing.

"This is the practice wherever you have a responsible government that is committed to the welfare of its people.

"Our campaign organization stands by the President. The campaign urges him not to be swayed by the loud protestations in certain quarters clearly orchestrated to divert and confuse the real issue: that an act of war was launched against Nigeria on October 1, which claimed the lives of many innocent Nigerians. Its masterminds and perpetrators must be fished out and punished.

"Those promising to make the country ungovernable for President Jonathan, as Alhaji Kaita openly boasted recently must be ready to keep a date with the law.

"We are after all a country governed by laws, and the laws of treason are very clear in this regard.

"We were all witnesses to the high wire political mischief played in years gone by, all aimed at achieving effortless regime change.

"We remember how fifth columnists executed searches on the homes of the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo and others, to achieve predetermined ends.

"We also recall how, in that epoch, the issue of 53 suitcases was contrived to ease a putsch against Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.

"Clearly we are on the march again, and the same characters of yesteryears are the game players once again. But this time, Nigerians can not be fooled.

"Our people remain eternally vigilant, and we call on the security agencies not to hesitate to charge anyone found culpable with the relevant laws of the land," the statement added
Source:  http://allafrica.com/stories/201010070108.html

where i beaf/faeb - see as your master is refuting your smear campaign against buhari  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by AbuMaryam1(m): 6:28am On Oct 08, 2010
Haba Jonathan?? stick to your words why shaking? broda no shaking. infact this guy is confused i dun think he suppose to continue steering the affairs of the state. PDP is a can of a warms in Nigerian politics, we need to stand up and say no to PDP. Could yu imagine recent killing of ANPP official in Miaduguri they tag it on Boko Haram islamic sect, while Boko haram has been sustained and they dont have gbomo jomo to exonerate themselves, hence the allegation against them became certain.  Nigerians this party has done more than enuf. Since PDP came into power blood shedding became trivial issue in this country. shoot them, kill them nottin will happen affairs has been the business of this party. T be in power by hook or crook. We can not fold our arms lets say no to JUNKIES.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by amakaudeze: 7:53am On Oct 08, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by amakaudeze: 7:56am On Oct 08, 2010
see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527450.0.html to join the 1 million posts against IBB
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Abagworo(m): 10:02am On Oct 08, 2010
Waiting for the unrepentant liars and zombies to refute this one
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by monkeyleg: 12:23pm On Oct 08, 2010
Hmm, this is just too much. Confusion everywhere. So who really did it?
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Ayowumie(m): 12:34pm On Oct 08, 2010
Jonathan is speaking with both sides of the mouth. GEJ is lying. His statement on that clearly absolved MEND of all responsibility. And now he is claiming he never did that. What he should have done is to make apology for been too forward.

He lacks to gut. Thats why he is trying to retract his statement. Could that be a trace of weakness?
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 08, 2010
Ayowumie:

Jonathan is speaking with both sides of the mouth. GEJ is lying. His statement on that clearly absolved MEND of all responsibility. And now he is claiming he never did that. What he should have done is to make apology for been too forward.

He lacks to gut. Thats why he is trying to retract his statement. Could that be a trace of weakness?
The DG of his Campaign Alhaji Tafida, added insult to injury when he said Nigerians do not understand English and that is why people say GEJ exonerated MEND
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Bawss1(m): 12:43pm On Oct 08, 2010
This all appears to me as a belated attempt at damage control. If only he had just shut the hell up in the first place.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Faeb: 1:06pm On Oct 08, 2010
Bawss1:

This all appears to me as a belated attempt at damage control. If only he had just shut the hell up in the first place.

What damage control? It is his first statement that was damage control, because the whole bomb plot was meant to look like MEND actions. It is now quite clear that is wasn't MEND. Even then, the deception still goes on. CNN sacked a reporter for a fake report with so called Niger Delta militants; Okah's Aljazeera "phone call" has been irrivocably proven to be false; The old bats lead by Yakasai, Ciroma and Kanti Bello have been told off (and made to look as foolish and loony as they truly are) by the political powers and the people for calling for impeachment; Dokpesi is said to be singing like a birdie. . .

Truth always outs itself, so let the vultures enjoy their short lived parade. Their plan is weak.
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by 1United1: 1:14pm On Oct 08, 2010
Then Jonathan, what did you do? grin grin shocked
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by denony(m): 1:15pm On Oct 08, 2010
it seems am getting twisted
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Bawss1(m): 1:18pm On Oct 08, 2010
Faeb:

What damage control? It is his first statement that was damage control, because the whole bomb plot was meant to look like MEND actions. It is now quite clear that is wasn't MEND. Even then, the deception still goes on. CNN sacked a reporter for a fake report with so called Niger Delta militants; Okah's Aljazeera "phone call" has been irrivocably proven to be false; The old bats lead by Yakasai, Ciroma and Kanti Bello have been told off (and made to look as foolish and loony as they truly are) by the political powers and the people for calling for impeachment; Dokpesi is said to be singing like a birdie. . .

Truth always outs itself, so let the vultures enjoy their short lived parade. Their plan is weak.

Is that so? Then why did Mr P. quickly reply Okah?

Dokpesi singing like a birdie?? How come we haven't heard any of his incriminating tunes?
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by md4real(m): 1:21pm On Oct 08, 2010
“We know those behind the attack and the persons sponsoring them; they are terrorists not MEND. The name of MEND that operates in Niger Delta was only used. I grew up in the Niger Delta so nobody can claim to know Niger Delta than myself, because I am from Niger Delta”

—President Goodluck Jonathan
Re: Terrorism - I Did Not Exonerate Mend -jonathan by Dede1(m): 1:23pm On Oct 08, 2010
If I have constituted authority to arrest and quiz anybody about the bomb blast in Abuja, I should have invited GEJ, VP, IGP, Director SSS, CDF, Armed forces Intelligent Boss, Minister of Internal Affairs and Minister of FCT for serious talk. I should also judiciously pursue MEND leadership, few political heavyweights and selected media houses in Nigeria.

During quizzing, if the presidency is found fumbling in areas of intelligent gathering and setting up protective/preventive apparatus against the terrorist act such as the bomb blast in Abuja, GEJ must be impeached and few individuals must be forced to quit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Tackle Bombing, Boko Haram Threat, By Ex-ig Ehindero, Acn, Others / Escaped Suspect: Nsa Sets Up Panel To Probe Ringim, Others / NIMASA Building At Apapa On Fire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.