Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,322 members, 7,780,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:37 PM

Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? (1956 Views)

Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / Before My Boss Sacks Me, Should I Resign? / Massive Bank Job Loss Imminent In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? by elolove(m): 6:55pm On May 09, 2007
Guys I really your advice. I read Management Studies and graduated with second class (3.20 to be more precise), and for the

past 6 months have been working in a bank. My problem is that this is not my dream job and I dont find it fulfilling at

all, except for the salary which currently put food on the table. I want to pursue a Master program outside the country with the view of getting a better job in the oil and gas industry.

Please can someone tell me if it’s worth the risk of resigning my current job to pursue my dream of the oil industry?

Which post graduate programs and in which countries, can increase my job opportunities in the oil industry considering my

background. Someone suggested oil and gas management in Aberdeen, But I don’t have a geology background. I am thinking of

Strategic management, Marketing or International Business in the UK.But will either of this get me into shell or NNPC?

Finally, anyone with idea of how much I should save before embarking on this my adventure. I hope to work part-time while

doing the masters to pay some percentage of the tuition fee.
Re: Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? by mykygaga: 10:22am On May 10, 2007
No dont drop your job 4 dat yet, what u will do is to apply for an international masters, wen given admission, then u can drop and go 4 your master. becos it take 3-4 month to process and get admitted, during this month u can be working, everything is online. Not u have to pay your fees before going, so just keep on working and apply, wen it click then drop it.
Re: Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? by laplace(m): 3:16am On May 13, 2007
I'm of the opinion tha a bird at hand is worth a dozen in the bush. You may continue to process your Masters degree while you work. Most of the search and processing are done online, and since you're a banker, the job may be easier.
Youre certainly some miles ahead of your colleagues if you get a higher degree abroad. However, I want to believe that your reason to study is rather too superficial. You only want to get a Masters in order towork in an oil company. Don't limit yourself. Spread your wings, and begin to see yourself soar high. Ensure that your course of choice matches your interests. Retain your job, apply for a sudy leave (perhaps with pay), and get your masters. All the best.
Re: Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? by uchetobi(f): 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2007
don’t try working and learning. Its not the best. Especially someone like you that has a bank job. When will you find time to study and attend lectures? You even have to be at work some if not all weekends I guess. My advice is apply for a masters degree, when you get admission and visa, resign your current job. After the masters degree you will definitely get a better job, if you don’t you can get another banking job easily – only with more prospects this time. Don’t let the fear of tomorrow limit you to a job you have no satisfaction at the cost of broadening your horizons
Re: Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? by dankmen208(m): 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2007
Dont try it,a bird in the hand i better than Thousands in The bush
Re: Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? by hotchic1(f): 11:47pm On Nov 23, 2007
Its not the best thing to drop your present job,the thing is you have to weigh the pros and cons,foreign countries aint what you think they are,have you gotten a visa,do you how much it costs to study a masters degree abroad,how easy is it to work and study,my brother its not the best thing to do,just check this link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-93847.0.html and see what i am saying.
Re: Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters? by vaadol: 10:42am On Nov 25, 2007
Please don't resign your job. Though you are not finding fulfillment in your present job but are you sure you will find in your find in your future job? Guess the motive behind your reasoning is wrong. Why oil and gas? when there are other opportunities. Ask yourself the true question: What is the motive behind my plan, is it for the money or career!
If its the money, then there is a problem but if career then you are building a foundation. Career building is like a pyramid. Please think well before you take the action. If you need more professional advise. contact me on vaadol78@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Got A Hnd Elect/elect (upper Credit)and A Bsc. Industrial Maths 2:2.so Now What? / Help Me Pls - Salary Survey Nigeria / Is Cipsan Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.