Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,507 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard (11745 Views)

We Will Arrest More Influential Nigerians In The Coming Weeks — EFCC Chairman / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / List Of The Things Buhari Promised Nigerians - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 10, 2010
Like Shakespeare wrote about greatness in one of his classic plays, Macbeth, “Some were born great, while others had greatness thrust upon them”. I am not sure where these twenty wonderful Nigerians we have featured in this piece belong to in the greatness chart; I leave you to figure that out. One thing remains unambiguous they belong to different but are great all the same. Yes, they are great people, great Nigerians.

We have selected them from different strata of society. Each one has contributed immensely to influencing Nigerians in various ways. Is it Oluwole Akinwande, the poet whose ———-, gets you dizzy? Or Asa, the one whose African lyrics hit high notes on the air waves of Champse de Elise in Paris? Or Pastor Enoch Adeboye, whose genteel manner is said to break down the fiercest of strongholds.

These are Nigerian men and women we admire. And, as we continue to celebrate Nigeria at 50, thinking despondent thoughts, these great achievers give us hope: that there is much more to us than what people in citadels of power spew at us. Join us to celebrate these 20 influential Nigerians as part of the achievements of our dear country at 50.

read more
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 10, 2010
1.Asa
2.Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
3.Mallam Nuhu Ribadu
4.Deola Sagoe
5.philip Emeagwali
6.Emeka Anyaoku
7.Oluwole Akinwande(Soyinka)
8.Ngozi okonjo-Iweala
9.Genevieve Nnaji
10.Oluchi Onweagba
11.Agbani darego
12.Babatunde R fashola
13.Adenike ‘Nike’ Oshinowo-Soleye
14.Aliko Dangote
15.Nwankwo Kanu
16.Biodun Shobanjo
17 & 18 P-Square brothers(Peter and Paul Okoye)
19.Michael Adenuga
20.Enoch Adeboye (G.O) grin
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by realborn(m): 9:57am On Oct 10, 2010
Nuhu is Nos. 3 nd 20. Is d Mallam different from the Mr.?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Skidoc(m): 10:51am On Oct 10, 2010
I'm not sure they know the meaning of "Influential".
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:39pm On Oct 10, 2010
Skidoc:

exactly! this list is just a big joke. grin
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 10, 2010
Skidoc:

the people on the list are influential in their areas of expertise.read the whole article
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by GP15: 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2010
This list is absolutely INCOMPLETE with my name, but soon, very soon, my name will be added to this list.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Skidoc(m): 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2010
MrPrsdent:

the people on the list are influential in their areas of expertise.read the whole article

No, they can't just invent their own new meaning to the word "influential" just because they want to include some people who are not really influential in the real sense of the word. undecided
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by koruji(m): 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2010
This list is complete gibberish.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Abagworo(m): 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2010
A breakdown of the list gives you 18 southerners and only 2 northerners.Further breakdown into geo-political zones gives

South-south. 1

South-east. 9

South-west. 8

North-west. 2
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Kobojunkie: 6:23pm On Oct 10, 2010
They are just famous names or should I say names in vogue   --- would not consider over 95% of those influential, not even in any area of expertise(if they can even be considered experts in any field).
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 10, 2010
Scam !
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 10, 2010
I dont even know 75% of the ppl on that list.

How are they influential? Are we talking abt the same lying, deceitful Pastor Adeboye? Dear gawd!
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by lizzybabe1(f): 6:41pm On Oct 10, 2010
In the field of Music, 2face is far more influential than Asa. That alone tells me that this list is a joke.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

They are just famous names or should I say names in vogue   --- would not consider over 95% of those influential, not even in any area of expertise(if they can even be considered experts in any field).

Soyinka not influential in the literary field

G.O(though i dislike him) not the top church leader/money collector in the country

hmmm,have a look again
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Kobojunkie: 6:45pm On Oct 10, 2010
MrPrsdent:

Soyinka not influential in the literary field

G.O(though i dislike him) not the top church leader/money collector in the country

hmmm,have a look again

You are kidding me, right? Wole soyinka is not even on the list. Read it, you posted it! lol

GO? A Church pastor? Sure, he could be considered influential but that is not even right.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You are kidding me, right? [b]Wole soyinka is not even on the lis[/b]t. Read it, you posted it! lol

GO? A Church pastor? Sure, he could be considered influential but that is not even right.

He's number 7.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Kobojunkie: 6:53pm On Oct 10, 2010
Oh . . . I didn't see that! I apologize @MrPres.

But I still remain that most 95% of those on the list are not in any way influential. Wole Soyinka, as far as I am concerned, is NOT influential, in the same way Gani wasn't.  These men spoke up on issues, but when it came to actually INFLUENCING people, not a lot.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Oh . . . I didn't see that! I apologize @MrPres.

But I still remain that most 95% of those on the list are not in any way influential. Wole Soyinka, as far as I am concerned, is NOT influential in the same way Gani wasn't. These men spoke up on issues, but when it came to actually INFLUENCING people, not a lot.

I agree with you.

All Wole Soyinka and the rest did was write a book or butterfly story about the war and this and that. Next. Well, apart from the political Youth movement program he tried start, am still yet to SEE the influence.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 10, 2010
There is problem with defining influential here. Is it by the respect they command or by followership or by popularity or by power they wield?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by EzeUche0(m): 9:29pm On Oct 10, 2010
Ileke-Idi you disappoint me o!

Did you say that all Wole Soyinka did was write a book?

That man has been at the forefront of the human rights struggle in Nigeria ever since he was a young lad. He tried to broker peace between Biafra and Nigeria, and was jailed for doing this by Yakubu Gowon.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Epiphany(m): 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2010
A whole General (Rtd) Obasanjo's name is not on the list? The list is definately a joke
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 10, 2010
Epiphany:

A whole General (Rtd) Obasanjo's name is not on the list? The list is definately a joke
I guess the "whole bank" worth of money he stole from you guys was influential enough undecided
Nigerians never learn.
We might as well add IBB and Abacha to the list.

EzeUche0:

Ileke-Idi you disappoint me o!

Did you say that all Wole Soyinka did was write a book?

That man has been at the forefront of the human rights struggle in Nigeria ever since he was a young lad. He tried to broker peace between Biafra and Nigeria, and was jailed for doing this by Yakubu Gowon.

I guess. . . .
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by MaiSuya(m): 10:07pm On Oct 10, 2010
Skidoc:

influential   

in·flu·en·tial [ìn floo énshəl]
adjective
able to influence: able to have a powerful effect on people and what they do, or on events.

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Based on htis definftion, I guess its easy to how those names got on the list. I mean lets face it, they've all had a powerful effect on us. However, whether its a good or bad effect. . . well that's another story altogether.  undecided
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by excanny: 10:30pm On Oct 10, 2010
Abagworo:

A breakdown of the list gives you 18 southerners and only 2 northerners.Further breakdown into geo-political zones gives

South-south. 1

South-east. 9

South-west. 8

North-west. 2

The main problem with Nigeria. Always seeing everything through an ethnic lens.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by mensdept: 10:38pm On Oct 10, 2010
Of course, the list is rubbish. I wish some of our news outlets would stop reading People magazine.
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 10, 2010
excanny:

The main problem with Nigeria. Always seeing everything through an ethnic lens.
Even when the whole thing doesn't make sense,his point was to show us that ibo have the highest number.na wa o
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Kobojunkie: 10:42pm On Oct 10, 2010
Mai Suya:

Based on htis definftion, I guess its easy to how those names got on the list. I mean lets face it, they've all had a powerful effect on us. However, whether its a good or bad effect. . . well that's another story altogether.  undecided

Apart from Adeboye who one can say has a powerful effect mainly because he is a pastor . . . what POWERFUL effect does anyone else on that list have on the you, or any other Nigerian group out there?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Skidoc(m): 11:56pm On Oct 10, 2010
^^^Please ask him again. I wonder what powerful effect Nike Oshinowo, Agbani Darego, Asa, Deola Sagoe, etc. have had on me or him? Even if they've had their tiny bits of "powerful effects" in one way or the other, this is supposed to be the list of 20 most powerful effects in the whole of Nigeria! Are you kidding me?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by Tittos: 12:49am On Oct 11, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I guess the "whole bank" worth of money he stole from you guys was influential enough undecided
Nigerians never learn.
We might as well add IBB and Abacha to the list.

I guess. . . .
am not a fan of his but70% of animal feed in Nigeria is from his farm,30%of cassava in Nigeria from there,that farm employes 3000 workers.thats a lot of influence
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by OAM4J: 12:50am On Oct 11, 2010
There is definitely a definition problem here. They should have just called them 'Some honorable Nigerians'; may be 50% of them will qualify.

Ileke-IdI:

I dont even know 75% of the ppl on that list.

How are they influential?  Are we talking abt the same lying, deceitful  Pastor Adeboye? Dear gawd!

whao!  shocked shocked shocked strong words. any evidence?
Re: 20 Most Influential Nigerians--vanguard by houvest: 3:24am On Oct 11, 2010
OAM4J:

There is definitely a definition problem here. They should have just called them 'Some honorable Nigerians'; may be 50% of them will qualify.

whao! shocked shocked shocked strong words. any evidence?
It appears the stronger the derogatory words used on Men of God the more popular you are on Nairaland. Help us God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Zulum Salutes Military, Lists Gains By Troops In Gwoza, Borno / 2023: Buhari Presents N19.76tr Budget Proposal To The National Assembly / Protest Rocks APC Secretariat Makurdi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.