Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? (1588 Views)

These Courses Are Difficult To Have First-class In. / Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria / Most Difficult Universities To Make First-Class In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? by Phate07(m): 3:49am On Oct 11, 2010
Why is English such a difficult language to master? Why must it have too many words? Even the reverred 'masters' and 'experts' don't fully comprehend it! Then what should a simple everyday consumer of the English language like me do? Imagine this:

The bandage was wound around
the wound.

The farm was used to produce
produce.

The dump was so full that it had
to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish
furniture.

He could lead if he would get the
lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his
dessert in the desert.

Since there is no time like the
present, he thought it was time
to present the present.

At the army base a bass was
painted on the head of the bass
drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into
the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

They were too close to the door
to close it.

The buck does funny things
when the does are present.

The wind was too strong to
wind the sail.

I had to subject the subject to a
series of tests.

How can I intimate this to my
most intimate friend?

You park in a driveway, yet
drive on a parkway

Why do "fat chance" and "slim
chance" mean the same thing?

Why do "tug" boats push their
barges?

Why are they called "stands"
when they are made for sitting?

Why is it called "after dark" when
it's really "after light"?
Re: Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? by shegzy(m): 10:43am On Oct 11, 2010
That is a wise question. Man
Re: Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? by Phate07(m): 1:29pm On Oct 11, 2010
Yeah, it is a real irksome question, but nobody seems to want answer the question!
Re: Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? by Phate07(m): 12:25pm On Feb 28, 2011
English is a second language.
Re: Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? by ojonikemi(f): 5:55pm On Feb 28, 2011
We Nigerians appears vry poor in english ,due 2 d fact dt Nigerians are used to speaking in pidgin
Re: Why Is The English Language So Difficult To Master? by Phate07(m): 5:28pm On Apr 29, 2011
ojonikemi:

We Nigerians appears vry poor in english ,due 2 d fact dt Nigerians are used to speaking in pidgin

True.

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Need An Info On The Admission List For H.n.d Fed Poly Ado Ekiti / Yabatech Admission List / ASUU Strike Is Still On.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.