Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,642 members, 7,801,870 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. (14203 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. / "footprint Of God" Found In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 8:29pm On Oct 11, 2010
I wish to open this topic by first introducing my idea for the assignment. I call it an assignment because I fully acknowledge that each one of us, regardless of background and upbringing are divinely gifted with certain innate abilities. These abilities are individual and under the proper stimulations they are awakened into full capabilities in the individual. We can personify states and cultures and races as individual entities posessing these same characteristics.

Our capabilities vary but they can narrowly be classified into four primary areas of engagement and inner drive -

1. passionate drive for social co-mingling and survival (The Socialite)
2. practical drive for purposeful outcomes and progress (The Executioner)
3. emotional drive for life sustenance and support (The Nurturer)
4. mental drive for communicating understanding and awakening (The Reformer)

Each is equally necessary and important for propagating the interests of a society and what it stands for. A state of balance is maintained when all four are brought together and employed in the needs of a people, so that their survival, their alliances, their values and traditions remain compatible with their divine philosophies.

In an internet age where these energies ought to be very evident in reinforcing who we are, instead our identity is increasingly being defined sub-par to the interests of those who challenge the superiority of our civilization.

I have done a lot of research in tracing the YORUBA culture, the people, the civilization, the language and particularly the Biblical footprints.

In assessment of our capabilities, Yorubas have failed three out of the four capabilities - we are good at the Socialite aspect and very seasoned in Political manipulations. . .this is our forte! We have not contributed much to our own progress, have abandoned our means of sustenance and failed to invest in a new understanding for our future and renewal.

So you can accept this assignment as an awakening of sort, . . .a direct knock in your conscience provoking you to review your roots and to re-plant your feet firmly for a resurgence into the future. There is no unity in Nigeria, stop fooling yourself that the country will survive its internal turmoil and give you the sense of pride and identity that your spirit yearns. Your own homeland is where pride and identity lays.

So I begin. . . .

We start from two commonly used terms in Yorubaland. OMO LUABI and OMO KATA.

What do these two phrases mean?
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2010
OMO LUABI and OMO KATA.

Omo Luabi is loosely interpreted to imply a person of moral character. The reference is a direct link to the nature of Noah. It is actually Omo ti Nua bi - a begotten child of Noah - and hence expected to posess the positive genes and xcters of that man of GOD.

Omo Kata on the other hand is implied as a label to mean a mischievious or nuisance person. For years I thought this "kata" was in reference to the English word"catarrh" - the cold plhegm and mucous discharge from the nasal passage - and as sure as that condition is definite to make one under its attack very miserable, it seemed perfectly okay that a rascal should carry that identity. The truth is "Kata" is actually a reference to 'Qahtan". Qahtan is Arabic and since the Yoruba alphabet - as we know it - contains no Q, the substitute is the letter K.

Now, you all know who Noah is, doesn't need introduction. . . .but who is Qahtan?
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 4:47pm On Oct 13, 2010
Qahtan was a founder of Southern Arabia. That will be the region stretching from Persian Gulf to Red Sea and right the below the modern day Mecca/Medina belt. He was mentioned in the Bible as Joktan.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 6:52pm On Oct 15, 2010
I will give you three names -

Marduk Baladan
Nimrod
Almodad

A while back during discussion on the person of Lamarudu and who he was I theorized, based on supporting factors of language, arts and historical accounts, that his name had a semitic origin and had to be Al Marud.

Others on the discussion had their theories and one was that Lamarudu was in fact Nimrod. That was the first time I heard anyone associate the two as one person. I did not discredit it but did not give up on my theroy either.

Who is Marduk Baladan? He was a prince of Babylon and ruled from the throne. His name if often spelled Mardoch, Maraduk or Marduk. He could not have been Lamarudu for several reasons and no need to bother you with that here. However, his name and the title - Baladan - is interesting and noteworthy.

Who is Nimrod? He was the founder of Babylon Empire and the son of Kush son of Ham son of Noah. His name is spelt Namarod in Hebrew. There are strong indicators linking him with Lamarudu but it should be held as a theory for now.

Who is Almodad?

1 Like

Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 2:43pm On Oct 18, 2010
This is a related document to some other issue I will allude to later.

[url]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~bcr/africanjpegs/Yoruba/Yoruba_babalawo_Ifa_tray2.jpg&imgrefurl=https://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~bcr/africanjpegs/Yoruba/&h=715&w=1087&sz=209&tbnid=TYtc2s5tmdtH5M:&tbnh=99&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBABALAWO&zoom=1&q=BABALAWO&hl=en&usg=__l8Wxq8wPzrEp58u7l9G0CeWsKNo=&sa=X&ei=q0e8TNy-IoK8lQfD-O3iDA&ved=0CBwQ9QEwBw[/url]
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by DapoBear(m): 3:05pm On Oct 18, 2010
I've always been skeptical of these Yoruba as Egyptian or whatever theories. White man always wants to assume that decently advanced people who he discovers must have gotten the culture from somewhere else. While it is certainly possible that Yoruba are descendants of some sort of weird Sudanese or Egyptian culture from biblical times, it seems to me very unlikely. Most likely situation is that they've been in West Africa for thousands of years.

Plus from what I've read/know from genetics, West Africans are distinct from East African types. So if we were some sort of migrants, you should be able to detect this through DNA testing. Somehow, I highly doubt you'll find anything to support this hypothesis.

But yeah, this external validation stuff pisses me off. Yoruba people could be descendants of goats and donkeys for all I care, I'll still love my people. We don't need any external validation from anybody.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Oct 20, 2010
All these guys are quasi-mythical figures nobody is even sure whether they actually existed or not. I wouldn't expend so much energy on all this postulation  cheesy
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by tpiah: 4:52pm On Oct 20, 2010
While it is certainly possible that Yoruba are descendants of some sort of weird Sudanese or Egyptian culture from biblical times, it seems to me very unlikely

nothing wrong with knowing one's history, as long as it's factual.

migration happens everywhere, and yorubas are no exception.

the trail is in the language, historical accounts, etc.

some sudanese tribal markings:

Plus from what I've read/know from genetics, West Africans are distinct from East African types. So if we were some sort of migrants, you should be able to detect this through DNA testing. Somehow, I highly doubt you'll find anything to support this hypothesis.

you wont if you're looking at the cushitic ethiopian tyes and not the pure blacks.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by EzeUche0(m): 4:58pm On Oct 20, 2010
Belongs in the Culture Section.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2010
I've always been skeptical of these Yoruba as Egyptian or whatever theories. White man always wants to assume that decently advanced people who he discovers must have gotten the culture from somewhere else. While it is certainly possible that Yoruba are descendants of some sort of weird Sudanese or Egyptian culture from biblical times, it seems to me very unlikely. Most likely situation is that they've been in West Africa for thousands of years.

But yeah, this external validation stuff pisses me off. Yoruba people could be descendants of goats and donkeys for all I care, I'll still love my people. We don't need any external validation from anybody

Dapo,

I feel you! This is not validating a culture from an external source but rather establishing the root. Sit still and be patient, consider the materials and make your own decision whether or not the Yoruba culture is an emigrant from a proto-semitic source. I dont want people to jum to conclusion that semitic means Jewish or Arab, . . .no, quite the contrary!
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2010
Proto-Semitic languages and cultures are divided into East and West types.

The Eastern proto-Semitic are the ones on the Babylonian/Mesopotamian/Akkadian areas - Iran, Syria, Iraq

The Western proto-Semitic are sub divided into North and South. This will cover the present day Arabian peninsula, from Yemen to Israel. Saudi Arabia to Persian Gulf. They include Canaanite, Aramaic, Arabic in the North and in the South they are Sabian, Himyarite, Qablani, Ge'ez. Canaanite is further categorized into Hebrew, Moabite, Edomite, Amalekite, Jebusite, etc. . .

From Biblical accounts there are three races -
Japhetic,
Hamitic and
Semitic.

But in human history there have been four kingdoms -
Babylon/Mesopotamia;
Roman/Greek
Kush/Axumite
Chinese/Mongolia.

The entire Arabian peninsula has always been the ground zero of evolution and civilization for mankind. This should not be viewed as Arab owned or origin. In fact the concept of Arab and Jew is far younger in comparison to Akkadia (Agade) or Sumeria. For the purpose of this discussion we will call it AFRO-ASIATIC PENINSULA.

This peninsula was primary in all of co-mingling between Africa, Asia and Europe. This is evident from Biblical accounts as well as Historical accounts. According to the Bible this land was first populated and then the people of the worlds were dispersed from here. In fact Nimrod is said to have initiated his idea of the Babel tower as a counter to GOD's plan of dispersing the population.

The Yorubas emigrated from this peninsula. The Yorubas as we are currently composed - Egba, Ijebu, Ekiti, Ijesha, Awori, Itsekiri, Bini, Ajashe, Idomey. . . .and so on are sub-sets of the Canaanite and the Southern Arabian people of the Biblical times.

Consider these Canaanite lands -
Arkite
Amorite
Jebusite
Girgashite
Edomite

In addition, there are thousands of cross-matched terms in both Old Hebrew and Yoruba languages.

Elohiym - (Heb - god) = Oluaye (Yob - god/goddess)

Elyown - (Heb - Supreme Being) = Olorun (Yob - Supreme Being)

Elowah/Eloahh - (Heb-GOD/deity) = Oluwa (Yob- GOD)

Eldaah - (Heb- God of knowledge/origin) = Eleda (Yob- God of creation)

Kabbiyr - (Heb- mighty of power) = Kabiyesi (Yob - mighty lord or mighty king)

Esher - (Heb - blessings/happiness) = Eshe (Yob - thanks/gratitude)

Bara - (Heb - create/begin) = Bere (Yob- start/begin)

Ba'al - (Heb - Chancellor/Mayor) = Baale (Yob - Mayor of a town or city)

Baal - (Heb- Husband) = Bale ile - (Yob- Husband/Male head of household)

Owrah - (Heb - Luminous/prosperity) = Ora (Yob - Fat/Blubber)

Owr - (Heb - Light/luminary) = Orun (Yob - Sun)

Addereth - (Heb- Garment or robe of beauty) = Adire (Yob- Indigo garment)

Ayin - (Heb - Eye) = Eyin oju (Yob - Eye) . . . . .This is also the 16th character in the semitic alpha and in ancient mystic order corresponds secret or that which should be in the custody of high priests. This is why the 'eye" is often found in mystic symbols, it denotes the 16th power. This may explain the 16 Odus of Ifa corpus.

Eyphah - (Heb - Mysterious cover or secret code) = Ifa (Yob - Oracle of divination)

Atsah/Atseh - (Heb - To close/fasten or make firm) = Ashe (Yob - Closing to prayer/command)

Am - (Heb- Tribe/flock) = Omo (Yob - Child or belonging to)

Re elayah - (Heb - Punishment/Fear) = Eleya (Yob- Disgrace/punishment)

Dowdow - (Heb - Love/loving) = Ododo (Yob - Rose petal)

Duwd - (Heb - Pot for cooking/Cauldron/Kettle) = Dudu (Yob - Black/Dark)

Amar - (Heb - Talk/tell) = Oro (Yob - Speak/talk)

Imrah (Heb - Inner utterance/wisdom) = Imoran (Yob - Intuition/wisdom)

Ga'ah - (Heb - Height/rise) = Ga (Yob - Height/tall)

Geber/Gabar - (Heb - Valiant/strong) = Agbara (Yob - Strength)

Hader/Heder - (Heb - Adorn/honor/esteem) = Idera (Yob - Honor/success/victory)

Ilm - (Heb - Knowledge) = Imo (Knowledge/understanding)

Then there are root words (tri-literal and quadri-literal) like the three following:

MRM - (semitic - Maryam) = MRM (yoruba - Moremi)

BLQS SHB - (semitic - Bilqis of Sheba) = BLKS SGB (yoruba - Bilikisu Sugbo)

MLK - (semitic - Malik - King or Ruler) = MLK (yoruba - Miliki - Opulence, enjoyment or prosperity)

Root words is the framework that tie all semitic or proto-semitic languages together as a grouping. There are plenty of these words in Yoruba that never lose their sense or accentuation even when reduced to their consonantal forms. This is very surprising for a language like Yoruba that is heavily laden with vowels - every word word begin or end in vowel. So to strip those vowels off and still be able to make sense of the word is amazing. But then we also have 'eno".

Kilode?

Kigi logo digi ingi?

Bawo ni?

Baga wogo nigi ingi?

Tpiah, I see your response and I am with you. Hausas call us Yarubawa. The Sudanese call us Bin Yarub (descendant of Yarub). Yarub is the founder of Souther Arabia (Souther province of (AFRO-ASIA).

Joktan or Qahtan had several kids and one of them Almodad is also called Yarub. Going back to my theory that Lamarudu had to be something akin to "Almarud". . . . I want to believe that Almodad is indeed Almarud and the notion that those further up North from us will refer to us as "omo Yarub" makes it worthwhile to review the identity and person of Lamarudu, the founder of Yoruba kingdom.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 12:03am On Oct 21, 2010
. . . .just few more cross-words

Ad 'alot - (Heb- till dawn) = Od' aro (Yob- till morning)

Ad efes makom - (Heb Full to capacity) = Ode ti fe kun or Ode fe Kun (Yob- Almost full to capacity)

Ad Kan - (Heb - Thus far) = Ati ekan or At' ekan (Yob- Since then)

Ad kedey - (Heb - To such an extent that) = Ode ku die (Just a little more)

Ad olam - (Heb - Forever) = Odi ola or Od' ola (Yob - till tomorrow or future time)

Ad tom - (Heb - To the very end) = Ode to (Yob - That should do it or that's enough)

Referring back to BILIKISU SUGBO (BLKS SGB), how is it that Queen Sheba (and Moremi - MRM- for that matter) is immortalized in our culture but not her husband King Solomon? What's the connection between us and Yemen?
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by tpiah: 3:58am On Oct 21, 2010
how did people arive at the conclusion queen bilikisu is the same person as the queen of sheba? i've always wondered about that.

the yemen connection quite obviously stems from the muslim conquest of saudi arabia, imo. Or the persian wars- whichever applies.

displaced blacks moving further into africa, etc etc.

just guessing.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by TewMuch: 4:31am On Oct 21, 2010
Sorry to be the crapper here, but dis shid don't make sense or convince anyone.Yoruba has a hausa meaning.Sudanese call us Yoruba, just pronounced in the arabic way.Too many inferences in this post.OP pack up this ambition and call it a night.Yoruba's aint middle eastern or Hebrew.No vex.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by tpiah: 4:34am On Oct 21, 2010
Yoruba's aint middle eastern or Hebrew

nobody said they were.

Yorubas are Yoruba but kindly let people do what they can to find out about their history. No be the same english oyibos go type when they come around to do it for us?
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by TewMuch: 4:49am On Oct 21, 2010
Shall be back to tear this post apart.OP better be prepared to defend and prove his findings to convince me of the migration trail, not to talk of the language.I am sure or I hope he has done his research well enough to defend his findings.till then gudnite.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by tpiah: 5:06am On Oct 21, 2010
^^well, the southwest is a land of immigants.

some recent, others ancient.

some went on "irin ajo" through slave trade, normal trade, waka-about, curiousity, better life, whatever, then returned. Others fled disturbing conditions elsewhere and never went back.

my point is, most people came from somewhere even if the somewhere isnt exactly known.

anyway, it all makes for interesting reading and what[b] i[/b] do is try to figure out exactly what's tangible and what isnt.

but myths often have fact stuck in them.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 4:33pm On Oct 21, 2010
Shall be back to tear this post apart.OP better be prepared to defend and prove his findings to convince me of the migration trail, not to talk of the language.I am sure or I hope he has done his research well enough to defend his findings.till then gudnite.

Tewmuch,

I got more than your brain can comprehend and relate with. I dont need to prove or defend anything. . . .I just need to present, you will be doing your own proofing.

I have Bible verses that will show you and I have language and geographical pointers that will show you as well as name roots. The problem with people like you is when asked to explain the meaning of YORUBA, then you fail in the attempt and dissapear. I dont need to be prepared for you. . . YOU need to be prepared for me my brother!! cheesy

For a starter, where and what is the origin of Obatala? tewmuch, do you know? If you dont know the basics then dont question the complex. . . just sit back and listen and take notes. Ok, partner?
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 6:09pm On Oct 21, 2010
how did people arive at the conclusion queen bilikisu is the same person as the queen of sheba? i've always wondered about that.

You see, if we were colonized by a semitic speaking people then it would have been very difficult to trace Yoruba as a proto-semitic tongue because the border line between foreign and native letters and language will be blurred.

In the circumstance where the only two languages we know is Yoruba and English, then we can only theorize that all our semitic sounding words and roots - like Bilikisu, Moremi, and Araba . . .and so on - are native to us, unless we want to attribute them to middle Eastern religious influence and Judaism will not qualify since we do not practice it but Islam does qualify. But Bilikisu has been immortalized in our culture longer before Usman Dan Fodio was even born.

There are so many dots to connect and most of them are spotted about in various aspects of the culture but in all, they form a convincing evidence to prove a presence in Southern Arabia in an ancient period.

Consider the phrase "Egba omo Lishabi" . This is actually Egba omo ti Lisha bi - Egba a child born of Lisha. In the Bible there were a couple of people named Eber and this is in reference to one of them,. . . . but which one? It qualifies itself - the one born of Lisha! So this particular Eber must have had a parent named Lisa, Eliza or Eleazer. To add credit to this qualification, in Abeokuta "Lisa" is a high ranking chief.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by dayokanu(m): 11:05pm On Oct 21, 2010
Orion vs Oranyan
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2010
THE DISPERSION AND SEPARATION OF MANKIND.

Looking on the map of Africa and Asia, one cannot dispute that the Sinai Peninsula was a tear-off from the African continental plate and that in an ancient time, Afro-Asiatic plate was an attachment to both the Sinai and the continent, all forming a one-piece geographical land mass. In that age, mankind spoke one language and lived on a contiguous land tilling the soil and tending to flocks.

When GOD declared to confuse the tongues and spread man across the earth, this geographical land mass was splintered into parts as well. It should be assumed that physical features in humans were also altered as a result of the confusion of tongues. How did people know where to go, how did they resolve the resulting chaos? This would have been the beginning of race.

In the adapted state, their physical characteristics was a principal factor in determining where to stay - dark colors choosing to stay in warm climates and light colors in cold climates.

At creation man was tied to the beat and ryhthym of earth's elements, he was both a physical and a spiritual being. Hence, every event had both a physical and a spiritual cause. In the warm climates, the sun shines uniformly year round, rain is abundant, the soil is rich, the flocks have year round grazing. In the cold climates on the other hand, sunshine, rain, soil and grazing are available only for a part of the year. Therefore the realities in these two regions demand distinctly different approaches for survival.

Man in the warm climate is aided by natural elements, whereas man in the cold climate has to devise a way around the shortfalls. Therefore while one has no need to change the way things are and is content with his sorrounding and environment as a means of subsistence, the other is restless and is constantly seeking opportunities to bend nature to his favor. The warm climate resident has good reason and is justified to believe that nature and its elements are guiding his survival and prosperity and are thus worthy of devotional worship and reverence. The cold climate resident does not see it that way and so he depends more on his own craftiness and logical reasoning to prevail and survive against the harsh elements.

As time evolves a hereditary stamp with physiologically and historically based differences will separate the two. The dark color have a distinctive approach to reality in which knowledge is based on feelings rather than logic, where the arts are privileged over the sciences and where the emotions are aided over cerebral analysis. The light color on the other hand analyzes reality from an objective distance, never trusting his survival to faith.

The two kingdoms of Babylonia/Mesopotamia and Kush/Egypt are geographically located in warm climate and Chinese/Mongolia and Greece/Roman are the kingdoms in cold climate. These were the civilizations that rose into power after the dispersion of tongues and out of them came succeeding world powers and empires.

Afro-Asia is sandwiched in-between these two kingdoms of the warm climate. The kingdoms were also principals in the development and growth of the monotheistic religions. Egypt in particular was a surrogate for all the prophets, in spite that in its official capacity, it was a breeding ground for cults, deities and goddesses. Egypt exported knowledge in occults, mystic orders and rituals while Babylonia exported knowledge in arts and crafts. Afro-Asia was the conduit for the exchange of trade, movement of merchants, scholars, sages and poets, nomads and hermits traveling back and forth between the two kingdoms and so the Afro-Asiatic people, while benefiting immensely from the successes of providence that this region enjoyed, were themselves extracts and players on the commerce and growth of these civilizations. Whatever these people have turned out to be today, their system of aesthetic, intellectual, moral law, social values and political institutions were nurtured and groomed by the over-riding influences of Egypt/Kush; Babylon/Mesopotamia.

So who were the Afro-Asians?

First, let me partition the ancient land into three segments of Syria, Canaanite, Havillah.

Syria is the Northeast end of the land and bordered into Babylonia on the Euphrates river. Their language was Aramaic, Akkadian, Hebrew. The capital was in Damascus.

In today's geography, Syria will be the land of Lebanon, Syria and Western Iraq.

Canaanite is the North - bordering into Mediterranean - and Northwest - bordering Sinai and Red Sea. Its boundary dip down far South of River Jordan and into the Arabian desert.
Their language was Canaanite (Jebusite, Amalekite, Girgasite, .etc.) The capital was in Jerusalem.

In today's geography Canaanite will be top half of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Israel and Palestinian territories.

Havillah is from middle half of the entire Peninsula Southward - bordered Red Sea on its West-half, Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean on South and Persian Gulf and the Euphrates/Tigris on the East-half.
Their language was Arabic, Hebrew, proto-Ethiopic -Amharic, Akkadian. The capital was in Yemen.

Havillah today will be the bottom half of Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman and The Arab Emirates.

These diverse languages - Aramaic, Canaanite sub-sets, Akkadian, Hebrew, Arabic, Amharic form the Semitic group. The people can be categorized into four religions - Judaism, Christianity, Islam and "the religion of the forefathers".

Developments in Havillah.

The founder of Havillah was said to be Nimrod but the person who established dynasty and civilization in the land was Almodad (Yarub). Arabs claim their descent from him. Now, it is strange that the two names have appeared repeatedly in separate instances on the discussion of the identity of Lamarudu, the founder of Yorubaland.

Yemen was popularly referred as a land of gold and honey. The Yemeni influence under Queen Sheba (Bilqis) extended across the Red Sea into , Erhythrea, Abyssinia, Djibouti. The Yemeni town of Ophir was a gold mine and popularly referred as King Solomon's mine. The gold used to build the Temple and adorn the altar is said to have come from Ophir. Solomon and Bilqis had a child together - Menelik. Menelik ruled over Abyssinia and that dynasty ended in the 70s with the death of Emperor Haile Selassie.

On this account it would be fair to suggest that Jews had a political influence in Yemen and may have persecuted the non-believers of Yemen at the time. In fact, history says that Yemen was ruled by Jews at one time and they were so ruthless that even Christians suffered in their hands. This might also explain the presence of Falashas - a Jewish community - in Ethiopia and Erithrea. Some of them were airlifted and resettled back in Israel in the 1980s. Anyway. . . .so it will not be uncommon to find Jews in Abyssinia, Erithrea, Sanaa, Aden and even Axum.

There are three hard evidences to suggest Yoruba was a family of the Havillah tribes and had a prominent presence on that land at one time:

Antiquity - Ife bronze heads. The art, while approved as authentic Ife work, is nonetheless placed as an ancient style of creation that existed only in the Babylonian kingdom and nowhere else. The Greeks and Romans who later perfected the art copied the skill from Babylon. Because it was a portrait bust of the Ooni, then there are three explanations for how it came about -

a, The Ooni travelled to Babylon to have his portrait cast in bronze and brought it back home with him.

b. The artisan was a Babylonian or a citizen of one of its provinces, such as Havillah, Syria, Akkadia (Sumeria). To work on a royal piece, the artisan himself had to be of a certain selection and background - and this explains the precision and aesthetic values imbued in the work.

c. The possibility that this skill and knowledge existed in Babylonia and Africa and it was not known to outsiders. If this were true, other cultures around the Yorubaland or provinces within its dominion should have them as well. Beside the Yoruba, no African culture - not even the Egyptians - had this sophistication.

Identity and etymology of words and names
Yoruba, Yarub, Yarubawa, bin Yarub
Lamarudu, Almodad, Nimrod,
Cult of Bilikisu Osugbo - Queen Sheba

Thousands of Matches in terminologies, word construct,and name roots between Yoruba and Old Hebrew (proto-Semitic).

Let us hold it as no more than a theory that Yoruba is a proto-semitic group. Then, how did the migration happen?

In Genesis 2:11, GOD said a river - Pison - went out of Eden to water Havillah, the land of gold. Though that region is dry now, in ancient times it did have a river that flowed through it, and a dam as well in a Yemeni town. Due to man's iniquities and repeated assault against GOD's commands HE sent a calamity to destroy their land. . . the dam was ruined and the river dried up. This is narrated in the Quran as well in Surah 34,Saba (Sheba).

As punishment, GOD made the land inhabitable for these wrongdoers and they were forced to emigrate away from the region. GOD said in the Quran that they were scatterred across the land.

It is my suspicion that Yoruba and Berber likely emigrated together out of Havillah. The Berber is another proto-Semitic tribe more than likely out of Dedan in Havillah or Dinka in Sudan. While they settled in Chad and Maiduguri, Yorubas continued on and settled further South and named the town Gobir. From here they pushed further South then established Ile-Ife as a sspiritual center of the Yoruba conscience,
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by OAM4J: 7:19pm On Oct 22, 2010
Interesting! I dey gbadun you gan ni o. Pls continue and dont for get to tell us the origin of obatala and why some Yorubas believe that he was the 1st man on earth.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by supereagle(m): 7:56pm On Oct 22, 2010
I enjoy your post. More pls.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by Abagworo(m): 10:38pm On Oct 22, 2010
We Africans should be proud of our heritage.The words you were trying to compare with Hebrew are more similar to Edo and Igbo than Hebrew.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by madlady(f): 2:24am On Oct 25, 2010
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by oludashmi(f): 11:54am On Oct 25, 2010
Abagworo:

We Africans should be proud of our heritage.The words you were trying to compare with Hebrew are more similar to Edo and Igbo than Hebrew.
Thanks for the contribution, yes Yoruba, Edo and Itshekiri have similar words, sentences and mean the same thing cos we are from same decendant but nothing and absolutely nothing to do with Igbo (no offence) but truth.
The similarity btw Yoruba, Edo and Itshekiri is such that you only need to pay attention to the intonation and you will see we speak toooo much of similarities but as for Igbos, we have 0.001% similarity. thanks.

@OP, keep it up.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 3:20pm On Oct 25, 2010

I agree with the first part of your statement - one has to wonder why other races are restless and have a high anxiety about us.  We don't manufacture guns and ammunitions, we dont manufacture explosives or bio hazardous agents of mass destruction but yet they find our image and presence unsettling.  Their explanation is that we are criminals. . .  grin grin,  what an absurd conclusion!  They know what they see in us that scares them but they are unwilling to admit it. 

We are closer to nature and the elements than they are. . . .we can survive the hardships of nature and endure the harshness of the elements and wouldn't need any intermediary between us and GOD or His planetary deities.  We have an incredible ability to detach from the material world and bear the burden of life while yet we are wearing a smiling face.  The DNA of creation is in us.

As to your second statement, I disagree that Yoruba and Edo are similar to Igbo than Hebrew.  Bear in mind that I am talking about Old Hebrew. . . not the contemporary version.  The contemporary has been corrupted due to assimilation with various other languages - Greek, Latin. . .and so on.   Nonetheless, I do not dispute that Igbo language itself maybe worth looking into in comparison with some originating tongues sourced elsewhere outside Nigeria.  I also want to say that it is not my opinion that Yoruba is Jewish or belong in any of the Israelite tribes, far from it.  Yoruba was a nation on its own parallel with other nations in the Afro-Asiatic.  In fact the Yoruba we have today, as I have already stated, is a composition of the children of Yarub, children of Canaanite - Jebusite, Amalekite, Girgashite and so on.  If any people in Nigeria will be said to have the blood of the Children of Israel, it will be the Edomites. 

On the Old Hebrew - Yoruba comparison consider the following as a further example of the evolution.

Adam (Hebrew)  If you replace the D with Y, you will have AYAM, which is where "I AM' (English) came from. 

ADAM is an attribute.  Some of the other attributes include "Fate", "Destiny", "Matter", "Soul". . . and so on.

In Yoruba we have the two following attributes -  "EDA" for the attribute "Form" and "AYAMO" for the attribute "ADAM" . . . correction, "FATE" or 'DESTINY".

To the person asking about OBATALA,. . . .  it is OBA ATALA.  He was a mythical deity.  In the ancient times, Kings were also addressed as deities and sometimes worshipped as one.  Example - Sango was an Oyo king but is also worshipped as a deity. 

Oba Atala is connected with the ruined city of ATLANTIS.
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by debosky(m): 3:24pm On Oct 25, 2010
Negro_Ntns:

To the person asking about OBATALA,. . . . it is OBA ATALA. He was a mythical deity. In the ancient times, Kings were also addressed as deities and sometimes worshipped as one. Example - Sango was an Oyo king but is also worshipped as a deity.

Oba Atala is connected with the ruined city of ATLANTIS.

Provide evidence please. . . .although I suspect this is right up your alley of concocted bullshite. grin
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 3:49pm On Oct 25, 2010
What would be a satisfactory evidence for you? grin
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by debosky(m): 4:00pm On Oct 25, 2010
Even a slightly coherent tale would help, but I fear even that is beyond you. grin
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by NegroNtns(m): 4:08pm On Oct 25, 2010
Even a slightly coherent tale would help, but I fear even that is beyond you

thanks!

Well, I am not proving aything. I am only presenting. . . take it the way you want. cheesy
Re: A Resurgence Of Life . . . .the Yoruba Footprint In History And Art. by tpia5: 4:22pm On Oct 25, 2010
i knew it wouldnt be long before debosky showed up here on the warpath.

i wonder why debosky never fights the arrant criminals on nl but always chooses the easy going people to disagree with.

eg myself, oyinda, negro ntns, etc.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Performance Gap Between Francophones And Anglophones: Who’s To Blame? / What's Wrong With "ghetto" Black Names? / Ivory Coast Got Some Good Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.