Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did (922 Views)

APC Carpets Jonathan Over Boko Haram, Hails Military / Court Orders Papers Served On Jonathan Over Qualification For 2015 / Gbenga Adeyinka Mocks Jonathan Over N10 Fuel Price Reduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by selingel: 6:57am On Oct 12, 2010
Ribadu criticises Jonathan over retirement from Police
By Agency Reporter
Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010

Former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and presidential aspirant of the Action Congress of Nigeria, Nuhu Ribadu has accused the federal government, under the leadership of President Goodluck Jonathan of unjustly retiring him from the Nigerian Police Force, Empowered Newswire reports.

In an interview with Nigeriavillagesquare, a US-based Nigeria website, the full transcript of which was released over the weekend, the former EFCC boss reacted to claims that he was a mere front for the Jonathan presidency in his political campaigns.

Confirming the existence of such speculation, Ribadu said “you know one thing that is surprising me is about this President Jonathan rumours. This is a government that has retired me for no reason, I have not done anything, I have given 25 years of my life into public service and they retired me.”

Ribadu added that “what Jonathan did was just to change it from dismissal to retirement. And I am yet to be told what I have done for me to be retired from public service.”

Criticising the Peoples Democratic Party, which he said had nothing to do with his presidential aspiration, Ribadu submitted that the party itself had “been extremely unfair to Nigerians and unfair to me.”

Said he “I did, to the best of my ability, what I thought was the right thing and they went after me, they punished me, they humiliated me, they took me out of public service, they retired me, and I have not got one penny up to this moment. And people are talking about me being used? I think that is very unfair to me.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201010120242462
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by selingel: 7:00am On Oct 12, 2010
This is what politics can turn a man into. How can he be saying this to the same man that assisted him to return to the country? Is retirement not better than dismissal? shocked
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Ourturn(m): 7:06am On Oct 12, 2010
Ribadu! Ribadu!! Ribadu!!! How many times did I call you? Hmmm lipsrsealed
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by 5columnist: 8:01am On Oct 12, 2010
Ribadu is right though, His service to this country was done with a lot of courage. to have such a man retired so quickly is a big shame. Nonetheless, if GEJ had reinstated him fully without retirement, tongues will wag. GEJ did what I thought was honourable in bid to clean up the mess left behind by Yaradua's wife because if you ask me; Yaradua was a good man.

Ribadu, my vote is for either you or GEJ. I will be happy to have either of you as my President but please dont join issues with GEJ, the public backlash maybe beyond your expectations. People just LOVE Gej and if you ask them why, they can't put a finger on it considering his short political experiences but we love him like that.

Try and join issues with IBB or our northern brothers and people will love you more. I like El-Rufia because he is doing that already. You need to clinch power from the old political class in our region otherwise they will swallow you just as they tried to you during Yaradua's days in power. IBB Atiku etc dont love you. They are the ones you need to demistify
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by dafman10(m): 8:18am On Oct 12, 2010
5columnist:

Ribadu is right though, His service to this country was done with a lot of courage. to have such a man retired so quickly is a big shame. Nonetheless, if GEJ had reinstated him fully without retirement, tongues will wag. GEJ did what I thought was honourable in bid to clean up the mess left behind by Yaradua's wife because if you ask me; Yaradua was a good man.

Ribadu, my vote is for either you or GEJ. I will be happy to have either of you as my President but please dont join issues with GEJ, the public backlash maybe beyond your expectations. People just LOVE Gej and if you ask them why, they can't put a finger on it considering his short political experiences but we love him like that.

Try and join issues with IBB or our northern brothers and people will love you more. I like El-Rufia because he is doing that already. You need to clinch power from the old political class in our region otherwise they will swallow you just as they tried to you during Yaradua's days in power. IBB Atiku etc dont love you. They are the ones you need to demistify
Very brilliant! Seconded. Ribadu hope u hear so?
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by orangemen: 9:38am On Oct 12, 2010

@5columnist,
in the first line above, can you briefly define the work u mentioned there. are u talking about the work of been the dog of obasanjo or the work of going to the tvs and radios on daily basis? how many politicians went to jail under ribadu and how many fraudulent contracts were recorded under ribadu? waziri with less noise is able to jail bode george one of the untouchables and now cecilia ibru a big fish and all these guys were there under the noisy and toothless bulldog(ribadu).
tell nigerians that ribadu was right in attacking just the abacha family among other past presidents in nigeria. tell nigerians why IBB was not arrested by your hero. tell nigerians how many govs were jailed by your mentor. tell nigerians why atiku after indictment in 2007 is still a free man till date.
if you know the meaning of being a police man, u will not come here to say all these thrash u said here. how can a man be above an institution that he was working for? ribadu was above the law and above the constitution of the institution that employed him(police). he was sacked and charged to court but instead of appearing before our law court as a law abiding citizen, he decided to act fugitive and went on exile. jonathan was only a dictector when he overturned the decission of the nigerian police and changed his dismissal into a retirement and this was just to please the frudualent master(obasanjo). iyabo obasanjo had an issue that was financially criminal under ribadu and how far did he go with that.
under ribadu, us$16b was spent on electricity contracts and till date nothing and nobody can account for that and our electricity instead take a negative turn. under this same ribadu, a reconstruction contract was given to the tone of N300b for ibadan-benin expressways and the man behind this is the current chairman of nigerian ports authority, my brother what is great about this ur hero?
it is on record that under ribadu/obasanjo, corruption and embezzlement of public funds took a record height. harllibutton scandal and siemens scandal and everyother societal scandals between 1999 till date have obasanjo's name in them and u will agree with me that nothing and nobody has been arrested over same till now. with these issues hanging here and there, do u see nigeria moving forward to any good thing development wise.
under ur saint ribadu, we saw many multi - national companies leave nigeria for ghana. where is our hope even with your purpet goodluck jonathan?
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 12, 2010
Naija and politics at its best.

All of a sudden Ribadu can criticise the man who let him back into the country and dropped all charges against him.

I still believe Ribadu is one of the best presidential aspirants if the not the best we currently have but he is beginning to make one too many gaffes. Dude better watch it.
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Beaf: 9:56am On Oct 12, 2010
Ribadu is one of Nigeria's greats. He is honest, straightforward and say's it as it is and will one day make a great president. But the time is not now, Ribadu is really in need of some civilian experience in politics to smooth out the raw edges left by the command culture he is used to. The whole interview was a serious mistake and a serious let down, but I'll advise his fans not to give up just yet, there is a future in the man, all he needs is the vital experience to navigate a civilian terrain. A four year senate stint should be enough.

The interview makes for very painful reading, but you can almost physically touch Ribadu's enthusiasm. You can find it here (its quite long, but you can read a few lines at least); http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/nvs/candidate-interviews-2-mallam-nuhu-ribadu-unfiltered-full-text-and-audio.html
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 12, 2010
The man has a point!

Jonathat keeps acting like he did him a favour by retiring him when he was unjustly treated in the first place. Just because he let him back into the country doesn't mean he shouldn't be told when he's wrong! What he did wasn't a favour, but the right thing to do.

If they think he committed a crime, they should try him according to the law and give him the punishment he deserves.

But for every sitting President to treat him as he pleases, to further his own personal agenda, is just crazy  . . . .  and typical of Nigerian Politics!  undecided
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Beaf: 10:11am On Oct 12, 2010
Ujujoan:

The man has a point!

Jonathat keeps acting like he did him a favour by retiring him when he was unjustly treated in the first place. Just because he let him back into the country doesn't mean he shouldn't be told when he's wrong! What he did wasn't a favour, but the right thing to do.

If they think he committed a crime, they should try him according to the law and give him the punishment he deserves.

But for every sitting President to treat him as he pleases, to further his own personal agenda, is just crazy . . . . and typical of Nigerian Politics! undecided

Wild accusation.
When, how and where did the bolded ever happen?
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 12, 2010
Beaf:

Wild accusation.
When, how and where did the bolded ever happen?

He acted that way by implication! Why did he retire him? What's his reason? And yet he expects Ribadu to be grateful . . what nonsense!
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Beaf: 10:48am On Oct 12, 2010
Ujujoan:

He acted that way by implication! Why did he retire him? What's his reason? And yet he expects Ribadu to be grateful . . what nonsense!

Are you saying GEJ should have reinstated him back to active duty? What do you think that would have done to all the promotions that occured after he left, what do you think would have been the implications for the force structure?

The problem is really with Ribadu ever giving that interview. The whole thing was a stack failure that gave the impression of a man fighting to deserve more than his due. That interview is going to be his undoing, because there are several things which should never have been said. And it is sad, because, Ribadu's real error is in striving for a position for which he has not yet got the full qualities. He desperately needs some civilian experience, but maybe its too late and he's shot himself in the foot already. Newspaper headline after newspaper headline will come out of that interview and it will have a very negative impact on the man.
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by SHEAU(m): 10:59am On Oct 12, 2010
Mr. Ribadu is now a full blooded politician with presidential aspiraton, his utterrances must be that of an opposition who wants change so im not surprised with this political statement
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Ourturn(m): 11:18am On Oct 12, 2010
SHEAU:

Mr. Ribadu is now a full blooded politician with presidential aspiraton, his utterrances must be that of an opposition who wants change so im not surprised with this political statement

He needs to be very careful, because some of these statements do come back to hunt one later in his political career.
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 12, 2010
Beaf:

Are you saying GEJ should have reinstated him back to active duty? What do you think that would have done to all the promotions that occured after he left, what do you think would have been the implications for the force structure?

The problem is really with Ribadu ever giving that interview. The whole thing was a stack failure that gave the impression of a man fighting to deserve more than his due. That interview is going to be his undoing, because there are several things which should never have been said. And it is sad, because, Ribadu's real error is in striving for a position for which he has not yet got the full qualities. He desperately needs some civilian experience, but maybe its too late and he's shot himself in the foot already. Newspaper headline after newspaper headline will come out of that interview and it will have a very negative impact on the man.

I'm saying that due process should have been followed in his case. He should be charged for his crimes (if any) and prosecuted for it. Instead of being given a presidential pardon he didn't need.

If he was wrongfully terminated, he should have been reinstated irrespective of who was prometed in his absence. That is afterall the 'fair' thing to do. undecided
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by houvest: 1:00pm On Oct 12, 2010
I actually thought that GEJ had plans for Ribadu either in the anti-corruption war or NP or power or works ministry. Just any where that Nigeria needed to plug a hole. Why bring him back for nothing(?) Or is there something he is using him for surreptitiously? If not, it is waste of a human material.
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 12, 2010
Oh he had plans for him, he wanted to make himself appear saintly  undecided
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Hardtalk: 6:45am On Oct 13, 2010
Ujujoan:

Oh he had plans for him, he wanted to make himself appear saintly  undecided

I thought this Ribadu's noise have died down.
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by damas11111(m): 2:02pm On Oct 13, 2010
orangemen:

@5columnist,
in the first line above, can you briefly define the work u mentioned there. are u talking about the work of been the dog of obasanjo or the work of going to the tvs and radios on daily basis? how many politicians went to jail under ribadu and how many fraudulent contracts were recorded under ribadu? waziri with less noise is able to jail bode george one of the untouchables and now cecilia ibru a big fish and all these guys were there under the noisy and toothless bulldog(ribadu).
tell nigerians that ribadu was right in attacking just the abacha family among other past presidents in nigeria. tell nigerians why IBB was not arrested by your hero. tell nigerians how many govs were jailed by your mentor. tell nigerians why atiku after indictment in 2007 is still a free man till date.
if you know the meaning of being a police man, u will not come here to say all these thrash u said here. how can a man be above an institution that he was working for? ribadu was above the law and above the constitution of the institution that employed him(police). he was sacked and charged to court but instead of appearing before our law court as a law abiding citizen, he decided to act fugitive and went on exile. jonathan was only a dictector when he overturned the decission of the nigerian police and changed his dismissal into a retirement and this was just to please the frudualent master(obasanjo). iyabo obasanjo had an issue that was financially criminal under ribadu and how far did he go with that.
under ribadu, us$16b was spent on electricity contracts and till date nothing and nobody can account for that and our electricity instead take a negative turn. under this same ribadu, a reconstruction contract was given to the tone of N300b for ibadan-benin expressways and the man behind this is the current chairman of nigerian ports authority, my brother what is great about this your hero?
it is on record that under ribadu/obasanjo, corruption and embezzlement of public funds took a record height. harllibutton scandal and siemens scandal and everyother societal scandals between 1999 till date have obasanjo's name in them and u will agree with me that nothing and nobody has been arrested over same till now. with these issues hanging here and there, do u see nigeria moving forward to any good thing development wise.
under your saint ribadu, we saw many multi - national companies leave nigeria for ghana. where is our hope even with your purpet goodluck jonathan?

100% supported but beleive me Ribadu is still far better than GEJ. At least he comes by as a more intelligent chap than the DUMB.
Re: Ribadu Criticises Jonathan Over Retirement From Police, Despite All Jonathan Did by Hardtalk: 6:00pm On Oct 13, 2010
damas11111:

100% supported but beleive me Ribadu is still far better than GEJ. At least he comes by as a more intelligent chap than the DUMB.

shocked shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan Offers $50,000 'Gift' to Pastor Bakare's SNG / Efcc Investigations Outline How Uduaghan Diverted Billions In Delta State Funds / South Africa Invited To Join BRIC; “BRIC” To Henceforth Be Called “BRICS”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.