Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,687 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. (3411 Views)

Martin Onovo On Sunrisedailynow: Presenters Taken To The Cleaners / Taken 3 Free Movie Download Online / Fztvseries Taken Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by AloyEmeka5: 2:48am On Oct 13, 2010
Nollywood Courses at Arcadia University
October 10, 2010 # 12:19 pm # Nollywood News # No Comment

I came across this development today and was so excited to read about it and so I am posting it as I think that you guys will find it interesting. Nollywood is gaining an foothold in the world of academia. Arcadia University, based in Pennsylvania, USA starting in the Spring semester of 2011, will be offering undergraduate credit units on 3 African Film courses as undergraduate credits at its College of Global Studies at its Center for East African Studies in Arusha, Tanzania. Two of these courses are pertaining strictly to Nollywood.

The tutor for these courses is Mr Akpor Otebele. Please see his blog entry about this development below:
[b]
Nollywood Film Studies Curriculum At Arcadia Universit[/b]y
Have a look at the films that the students will be required to watch:

2009 Crazy like a Fox – Tony Abulu (USA/Nigeria)
2009 A Kiss from a Rose – Osita Okoli (Nigeria)
2009 Runaway Prince – Nonso Ekene Okonkwo (Nigeria)
2007 Welcome To Nollywood – JamieMeltzer (USA)
2007 This is Nollywood – Franco Sacchi (USA)
2007 The Amazing Grace – Jeta Amata (Nigeria)
2007 Danger Signal – Teco Benson (Nigeria)
2007 Mama Africa – A collection of shorts by African women directors:
“Uno’s World” – Bridget Pickering (Namibia); “Hang time” – Ngozi Onwurah
(Nigeria); “Raya” (Sated with….) – Zulfah Otto‐Sallies (South Africa)
2007 Love My Way – Ikechukwu Onyeka (Nigeria)
2006 Letter to a Stranger – Fred Amata (Nigeria)
2006 This America – Bethels Agomouh (USA/Nigeria)
2005 The Wooden Camera – Ntshavheni Wa Luruli South Africa)
2004 Critical assignment – Jason Xenopoulos (Various)
2003 Osuofia in London – Kingsley Ogoro (Nigeria)

http://nollywoodforever.com/nollywood-film-courses-at-arcadia-university/
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by semid4lyfe(m): 5:37am On Oct 13, 2010
Nice! grin grin
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by Afam4eva(m): 11:38am On Oct 13, 2010
Great and i like the choice of the movies and directors.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by semid4lyfe(m): 12:03pm On Oct 13, 2010
afam4eva:

Great and i like the choice of the movies and directors.
Not bad but at least a Tunde Kelani movie ought to be on the list.

His movies are cultural and deeply rooted in tradition. He also tackles a lot of traditional beliefs and customs in his movies. The students would have gained a lot from movies like Saworide, Ti Oluwa ni Ile, Thunderbolt (Magun) etc.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by fredoooooo: 12:19pm On Oct 13, 2010
semid4lyfe:

His movies are cultural and deeply rooted in tradition. He also tackles a lot of traditional beliefs and customs in his movies. The students would have gained a lot from movies like Saworide, Ti Oluwa ni Ile, Thunderbolt (Magun) etc.

AGREED WITH YOU 100%
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by Afam4eva(m): 12:32pm On Oct 13, 2010
I agree with you guys but the directors ther are not bad at all. I also think someone like Izu Ojukwu should have been on that list.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by LAX89(m): 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Typical Nigerian, always thinking you have a better idea. Yet your country is a mess. Do you think the faculty of the university just roled off the bed and chose the movies they did, or perhaps you know better than them what their curricullum should be. Have you first, wondered about why they chose the movies they did, or what thier prime objective is. I think not, but yet you want to tell them which movies they should include in their subject matter. Nigeria, too many chiefs but not enough indians.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by MsBS(f): 12:57pm On Oct 13, 2010
Izu Ojukwu would have been good,  Who knows how the list was put together? Are Tunde Kelani's movies in yoruba? If so then I can understand why they wouldn't put him there as when people say NOLLYWOOD they are referring to the English Market Genre. They do have Amaka Igwe on the African Cinema course.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by etaurus(m): 1:03pm On Oct 13, 2010
[size=15pt]FANTASTIC[/size]
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by namfav(m): 1:35pm On Oct 13, 2010
the course probably shows how not to make movies aswell
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by oludashmi(f): 3:26pm On Oct 13, 2010
LAX89:

Typical Nigerian, always thinking you have a better idea. Yet your country is a mess. Do you think the faculty of the university just roled off the bed and chose the movies they did, or perhaps you know better than them what their curricullum should be. Have you first, wondered about why they chose the movies they did, or what thier prime objective is. I think not, but yet you want to tell them which movies they should include in their subject matter. Nigeria, too many chiefs but not enough indians.

He made some sense but you didnt

namfav:

the course probably shows how not to make movies aswell
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by tkb417(m): 3:29pm On Oct 13, 2010
semid4lyfe:

im sure the yoruba content must be the reason they didnt pick those films
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by bawomolo(m): 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2010
they should be made to watch lagos na wa cheesy
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by tpiah: 3:42pm On Oct 13, 2010
offering undergraduate credit units on 3  African Film courses as undergraduate credits at its College of Global Studies at its Center for East African Studies in Arusha, Tanzania

and must we painstakingly follow every little bit of everything.

quite counterproductive and energy zapping.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by Emmyk(m): 3:46pm On Oct 13, 2010
Thank God for that ARCHIEVEMENT
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by semid4lyfe(m): 3:47pm On Oct 13, 2010
tkb417:

im sure the yoruba content must be the reason they didnt pick those films
Maybe but even the English "nollywood" movies on the list have Igbo content and promote Igbo culture? Osuofia in London for example.

Oh and before someone comes here and labels me a tribalist, I'm not even Yoruba.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by tpiah: 3:51pm On Oct 13, 2010
Emmyk:

Thank God for that ARCHIEVEMENT

can you also add to your[b] own [/b] achievements by deciding to improve your english?

no offence.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by sledge406: 4:16pm On Oct 13, 2010
^^^

What makes you think he did not spell it incorrectly on purpose? Sometimes, learn to see the humour in things before picking on someone 'cos I can bet if he's to come hard insulting you, he'll be the bad one forgetting you quoted him in the first place hence buying his trouble.

Afterall it was placed in BOLD.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by MsBS(f): 5:07pm On Oct 13, 2010
tpiah:

and must we painstakingly follow every little bit of everything.

quite counterproductive and energy zapping.

I don't get what you are trying to say
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by tpiah: 5:15pm On Oct 13, 2010
sledge406:

^^^

What makes you think he did not spell it incorrectly on purpose? Sometimes, learn to see the humour in things before picking on someone 'cos I can bet if he's to come hard insulting you, he'll be the bad one forgetting you quoted him in the first place hence buying his trouble.

Afterall it was placed in BOLD.

when he gets support from people like you, why would he see any value in not being subpar.

if you found it funny, then kudos.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by apoti(m): 7:14pm On Oct 13, 2010
Great development,
At least we have something to show to d world
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by tpiah: 7:19pm On Oct 13, 2010
abi.

more faces for school notebooks.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by sledge406: 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2010
tpiah:

when he gets support from people like you, why would he see any value in not being subpar.

if you found it funny, then kudos.

Your type go like quarrel pass fight. I don notice am. Abeg shift!
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 13, 2010
can you also add to your own achievements by deciding to improve your english?

no offence

Kindly ignore this poster. She/he has a known case of mental illness. An attention seeker suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by tpiah: 8:41pm On Oct 13, 2010
sledge406:

Your type go like quarrel pass fight. I don notice am. Abeg shift!

in that case, is it by force to reply?

people like you and the other dolt who just posted, are the reason why nigeria doesnt progress.

celebrating mediocrity and saluting corruption.

imagine- you could at least keep your mouth shut while i'm doing what needs to be done. Not everyone can be an arse kisser like you.

"humor" indeed.

try another explanation.

95% [or whatever] fail rate and you're still running mouth anyhow.

what a great shame.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by SisiKill1: 8:46pm On Oct 13, 2010
Fantastic Idea teaching upcoming movies makers something about Nollywood. Now we can be rest assured the next generation will learn the following. . .

1) A long sentences like the beautiful village princess and her courageous, handsome but poor beau. or silly one like[b]The Avenging walking Stick[/b] . . Do NOT a movie title make.

2) How not to ruin a movie (hint: Never have the sound track tell the entire story. . . Five mins into the movie)

3) Students will learn the importance of scripts after watching Jim Iyke trying to wing it and Stella Damascus staring at him in confusion because she has no idea what to say next.

4) They will understand the importance of casting after seeing RMD try to act his 15yrs old self by donning a face cap and dungarees, RMD playing his 20yrs old self by moving the face cap to the side and wearing a jeans shorts, RMD playing his 30yrs old self by wearing a facecap to the back and long jeans, RMD playing his 60yrs old self with white chalk on his hair.

5) Students will learn how important scouting for good location is after watching Nollywood movies where the background noise is louder than the actors voices.

6) Editing Lessons - After taking the Nollywood Film courses, students are sure to walk away knowing how vital editing so they won't have movies where the actor flubs his line and camera continues to roll.

7) In short, after this course all aspiring movie makers will walk away with the knowledge of How not to ever. . .ever . . . EVER not even if your life depended on it. . . EVER make a movie.

PS
Watching a Stuffed Ini Edo in a school uniform acting 12 is the surest way to ensure students know how important movie making courses are.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by Kilode1: 9:16pm On Oct 13, 2010
tkb417:

im sure the yoruba content must be the reason they didn't pick those films

Yes, you are probably right, and maybe because Nigeria identifies generally as an English speaking country,  BUT still

I'm curious as to why a Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa Movie that is well edited and clearly subtitled in English(or can be subtitled/translated) will not qualify as a feature in a study of Nollywood Movies(those are Nigerian Nollywood movies too right?).

For a course seeking to study or discuss African Movies, It might shortchange itself and the students if it totally ignore Nollywood Movies made in ethnic Nigerian Languages.  The same way a course on French or German Movies might shortchange students if it ignore movies made in French or German (even those that are well subtitled/translated).

I will like to know why the course designers picked only "English speaking" movies for a course that in their words is a;

"full-fledged curriculum on the Nigerian video film industry. The first of its kind, anywhere in the world.” <---That is a wide claim to be focusing on just English Nollywood movies IMO

By the way, I think this is a great development.

I will be mildly shocked though if Nigerian Universities and their Drama and Theater Depts do not offer courses on the Nigerian film industry  wink --->directed at the claim "first of it's kind"
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 13, 2010
Archievement [/b]or [b]Achievement, all na Achievementwink wink wink

Mama-gee, Tpiah abi Timaya.

Those two are dreaded insane female English lecturers!
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by sledge406: 12:04am On Oct 14, 2010
tpiah:

in that case, is it by force to reply?

people like you and the other dolt who just posted, are the reason why nigeria doesnt progress.

celebrating mediocrity and saluting corruption.

imagine- you could at least keep your mouth shut while i'm doing what needs to be done. Not everyone can be an arse kisser like you.

"humor" indeed.

try another explanation.

95% [or whatever] fail rate and you're still running mouth anyhow.

what a great shame.
Little wonder 2 peeps have commented after I did to confirm your online personality. They've summarised you already. . .too bad (a newbie on first read on your posts can authoritatively say this and that about you and be very much on point).

Just so you know about the bolded above, I just wikipedia-ed Nigeria problem. Lo and behold all your details appeared as you are synonymous with Naija's problem. Try dieing and see if things will not change for the better in my beloved country.

Bring your [i]y[/i]ansh over here lemme kiss since I sabi kiss arse and tell me if you won't have your head driven into a wall.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by AloyEmeka5: 3:23am On Oct 14, 2010
sledge406:

Bring your [i]y[/i]ansh over here lemme kiss since I sabi kiss arse and tell me if you won't have your head driven into a wall.

You fit drill tpia to oblivion. Taaaa, you no fit. The old woman will surely put you on a rose garden. wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by oyinda3(f): 9:23am On Oct 14, 2010
semid4lyfe:

you know what? I actually agree with you.  Oleku should be on the list!!!!
someone gotta send an email to that professor. But I commend him/ her for creating the course though.
Re: Nollywood Courses Taken At Us University. by oyinda3(f): 9:26am On Oct 14, 2010
The tutor for these courses is Mr Akpor Otebele.

excuse my ignorance guys but is this name Nigerian? If so, what ethnic group? lol

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re-scan Your TSTV ..more Channels Added. / Orissa, Golden Emperor, Trinity, And Bluey Vuitton Magic Mushroom Strains review / Top 10 Movies Of All Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.