Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? (1814 Views)

GEJ Wasn't Cursed But Blessed By Yoruba Obas (Photo) / Why Is Nigeria So Blessed With Poverty? / Why Is America So Blessed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by knotty(m): 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2010
i doubt if there are 5 countries in world that can match Nigeria, resource for resource, blessing for blessing, riches for riches!

lawlessness has blinded us from our true wealth and there is nothing to reverse that yet.
so, we remain poor amidst so much wealth.

is it arable farmland? Niger state alone will feed West Africa with rice. Benue will supply all the yam need of the world conveniently until such a time the world comes up with industrial needs for yam.

palm oil port is enough to make us self reliant. Ground nut is just an icing on the cake.

this year alone, my biz enterprise has exported more than 1000 containers of solid mineral to various destinations around the world.

So, what is our problem? leadership failure? no. it is more than that.

debauched value system? maybe, yes. but largely, we remain poor because, we chose to remain poor!

America does not have what we have! but, we do not have what they have. not even 20% of it.

shame!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by Mobinga: 11:31pm On Oct 13, 2010
palm oil port is enough to make us self reliant.
Awww Port Harcourt Palms Make Me Proud cry cry
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 14, 2010
I saw Tafawa Balewa's black and white pics in nta umuahia today i realised why naija is still stunted, cuz the guys face is not what u start a nation with
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by egift(m): 1:08am On Oct 14, 2010
Our problem in Nigeria - is Leadership (intelligence is wasting away in this country). Nigeria have the capacity to become anything she wants.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by Nobody: 1:38am On Oct 14, 2010
Only three replies. Well damn.

Even the "great" debaters no dey show face.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 14, 2010
knotty:

i[b] doubt if there are 5 countries in world that can match Nigeria, resource for resource, blessing for blessing, riches for riches! [/b]

lawlessness has blinded us from our true wealth and there is nothing to reverse that yet.
so, we remain poor amidst so much wealth.

is it arable farmland? Niger state alone will feed West Africa with rice. Benue will supply all the yam need of the world conveniently until such a time the world comes up with industrial needs for yam.

palm oil port is enough to make us self reliant. Ground nut is just an icing on the cake.

this year alone, my biz enterprise has exported more than 1000 containers of solid mineral to various destinations around the world.

So, what is our problem? leadership failure? no. it is more than that.

debauched value system? maybe, yes. but largely, we remain poor because, we chose to remain poor!

America does not have what we have! but, we do not have what they have. not even 20% of it.

shame!

@Poster

Your statement is very ambivalent but I will give you 16 countries that match and beat Nigeria in the criteria you have set. That is taking everything into context including potential and blessings as you call them

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. Japan
5. UK
6. Australia
7. South Africa
8. UAE
9. Saudi Arabia
10. South Korea
11. India
12. Brazil
13. Canada
14. Malaysia
15. France
16. Mexico
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by papas: 10:35am On Oct 14, 2010
bermuda1:

Your statement is very ambivalent but I will give you 16 countries that match and beat Nigeria in the criteria you have set. That is taking everything into context including potential and blessings as you call them

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. Japan
5. UK
6. Australia
7. South Africa
8.  UAE
9.  Saudi Arabia
10. South Korea
11. India
12. Brazil
13. Canada
14. Malaysia
15. France
16. Mexico

Most of these countries do not stack up against Nigeria when resources are taken into account. A few of them like (Russia) just narrowly might but most of them you have listed do not have the diverse array of resources Nigeria is fortunate to have.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 14, 2010
@Papas

Please use google, its there for a reason.

check in the list and see where Nigeria ranks in the list of Oil Producers. Don't just use OPEC list

You did not call USA and you are calling china? List the natural resources Nigeria has, then check the commercial value and production

Please don't buy the myth that Nigeria is a rich country, surely there is potential but not nearly as much as you think
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by spicyhoney(f): 11:02am On Oct 14, 2010
papas:

Most of these countries do not stack up against Nigeria when resources are taken into account. A few of them like (Russia) just narrowly might but most of them you have listed do not have the diverse array of resources Nigeria is fortunate to have.

Exactly, i bet bermuda was high on some cheap drugs when  he was writing cos i dnt see y he would compare Nigeria in terms of resources to the countries in bold. Nigeria is  rich in resources just unfortunate that we don't utilize them for our own good and all due to mis-management and poor leadership.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by seunmsg(m): 11:10am On Oct 14, 2010
@ Bermuda, the OP talked about natural resources and oil is just one of them. We have numerous of this resources in commercial quantities in Nigeria but the issue with them is that they remain untapped. Large expanse of arable land is also a big blessing to Nigeria and indeed, there are few countries among those on your list that have such arable land
Re: Why Is Nigeria So, So Blessed? by papas: 11:14am On Oct 14, 2010
bermuda1:

@Papas

Please use google, its there for a reason.

check in the list and see where Nigeria ranks in the list of Oil Producers. Don't just use OPEC list

You did not call USA and you are calling china? List the natural resources Nigeria has, then check the commercial value and production

Please don't buy the myth that Nigeria is a rich country, surely there is potential but not nearly as much as you think

It is generally well known that Nigeria's resource wealth far exceeds that of the countries I previously highlighted (South Africa, South Korea, Malaysia), and most of the countries you have listed (I stress resource wealth).

Have a look at this recent CIA table on the ranks of countries based on proven oil reserves.
1 Saudi Arabia   266,700,000,000
2 Canada   178,100,000,000
3 Iran   137,600,000,000
4 Iraq   115,000,000,000
5 Kuwait   104,000,000,000
6 Venezuela    99,380,000,000
7 United Arab Emirates    97,800,000,000
8 Russia    79,000,000,000
9 Libya    43,660,000,000
10 Nigeria    36,220,000,000
11 Kazakhstan    30,000,000,000
12 Qatar    27,190,000,000
13 United States    21,320,000,000
14 China    16,000,000,000
15 Brazil    12,620,000,000
16 Algeria    12,200,000,000
17 Mexico    10,500,000,000

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/rawdata_2178.text

You are right that when we look at current revenues being realised from resources, such as oil for instance, Nigeria is doing badly. This doesn't, however, mean Nigeria cannot get her act together in the future.

A lot of things just need to be put right first, which will happen eventually.

Nigeria has a lot of resource wealth my friend.

(1) (Reply)

Let Us Celebrate Hon Obahigbon By Speaking His Language On This Thread. / Sanusi 100m Gift Is In Line With Qu'ranic Teachings--sheik Sani Haliru / UPDATE!! Kaduna Governor, Patrick Yakowa COMFIRMED Dead In Helicopter Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.