Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Help, I'm An Alcoholic! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help, I'm An Alcoholic! (31888 Views)

Help! I'm Feeling Guilty Of Ruining Someone's Marriage / Her Family Says I Can't Marry Her Because I'm An SSCE Holder / Help I'm Pregnant For A Married Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 22, 2019
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by sisisioge: 6:07am On Jul 22, 2019
Chai! This is hard o...I don't think we have AA groups or assessable rehabs here. Your best bet is to go home, tell your parents what's happening, let them lock you indoor for 4 weeks without any exposure. You would go through a lot before becoming sober. Afterwards, you've got to make conscious efforts to stop!

Your liver,kidney and general wellbeing is on the line right now maami. Good luck.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by frozen70(f): 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:
Hello everyone. Please, I'm not a newbie on NL. I opened this account to protect my identity.

I never thought I'd use this word to ever describe myself. Sadly, I am an alcoholic. It has taken me a great deal of embarrassment and pain to finally come to this conclusion.

I'm a female in my early 20's. One of the first things people comment on when we have a conversation is how intelligent I am. Good enough, I fair well academically and have done so for as long as I can remember. There is this dark side of me however. I am an alcohol addict.

I've read about my condition, especially at times when I swear I would never indulge in excessive drinking anymore. A person like me is called a functioning alcoholic. I started drinking as a way to forget some emotional and troubles but as I see, this in no way helps especially longterm.

I drink everything from wine, spirits to liquor. I go out with friends that drink. I go out to drink alone. I buy some alcohol to drink at home. I go from laying on the bed to walking out to buy alcohol. I just drink, drink and drink. I'm very ashamed of this. Sincerely, I want to stop. I want to make more meaningful decisions and relationships.

Please, how do I go about this? What can I do? Is there someone/a Group that helps with this kind of condition? Please help me.

Lalasticlala please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

Happiness is supposed to come free not with a price

Have you asked yourself what makes you depressed ❓

Is it relationship,
work stress,
failure in life,
family rejection or family problems
Bad friends or bad companies

You are too young to find yourself where you are

Talk to yourself

If you don't take time, you will start smoking all kinds of stuff because it goes together with drinks

Meet anyone you respect so much or considered a mentor to mentor you

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by tofolo(m): 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2019
Good move, you have accepted the fact that you have an issue with alcohol.. have you heard of AA(Alcohol Anonymous)?

12 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2019

You have taken the very first step to stop this very bad habit sis.
In general, women are more prone to alcoholism compared to men based on their body compositions. Because women tend to weigh less than men and alcohol remains in body water.
An average woman can consume the same amount of alcohol as an average man but be impacted/intoxicated the more.

How to accomplish your goals
After you’ve set your goals as you have done,
write down some ideas on how you can help yourself accomplish these goals.

For example:
Get rid of temptations. Remove all alcohol bottles or plastics
and other alcohol-related paraphernalia from your home.

Announce your goal.
Let friends, family members, and co-workers know that you’re trying to stop drinking.
If they drink, ask them to support your recovery by not doing so in front of you.

Be upfront as from now on.
Make it clear that drinking will not be allowed in your home and that you may not be able to attend events where alcohol is being served.

Avoid bad influences/friends.
Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking, especially your so called drinking paddies.
This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections.

Learn from the past.
Reflect on previous attempts to stop or reduce your drinking. What worked? What didn’t? What can you do differently this time to avoid pitfalls?

Knowing your addiction triggers and avoid them when possible.
Again, Avoiding associates and past friends who encourage your addictive behaviours.

Now let us outline some of the possible benefits you will gain by not drinking alcohol:

Your family life will improve.
You will feel more energetic and mentally aware.
You will have more time to invest in other activities that promote good health and finances.
You will avoid drinking-related depression and anxiety.
Your job or school performance will improve.

We really do hope this little tips help you sis.
All of us @ wish you all the very best.

In 3 months from now, BGG, we will invite you to come have some plates of chicken and fish barbecue with us, to be washed down with some glasses of Non-Alcoholic Fruit Wine!

This too shall pass.
It will end in praise!
kiss kiss

gracegrace668:
Thank you so much. I appreciate. I'm definitely taking the outlined steps into action.
So good to read this from you.
YES, we believe you can do this.
All the very best dearie.

109 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Jchi9876: 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
Come my house I go cure that alcoholism

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by omooba969(m): 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
Not pretty for ladies to binge. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Bustincole(m): 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
Go to Redeem camp for deliverance

Oh Lord pls deliver from dis

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by kekakuz(m): 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
there is nothing wrong with you, you are just jobless
get busy

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by victorazyvictor(m): 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

Please help me move this to the permanent site. I'll be reading for suggestions.

Inbox me
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by meobizy(f): 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
OP is in luck: I’m also a newbie here who opened this account to respond.

There is no amount of advice I can give which will make her stop.
It is a habit she built from time and will take maybe more to break.
As opposed to drinking to forget sorrows I will recommend weed instead, the herb cured an episode I had with depression.
The herb is also non-addictive so she can quit at any time.

Let me drop the same advice I will to any close friend even though I know it will fall on deaf ears:
1. Start running daily or at least buy a jump rope.
2. Drink only water, plenty of it.
3. Avoid your drinking buddies.
Coming across them will only make you crave drinks or put you in a vulnerable position.
4. Look for a sport and focus your mind to learning it.
The time you spend learning the skill will kill any thoughts of an alcoholic nature.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by MyGeneration(m): 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
you are lucky its just alcoholism. i was once addicted to alcohol, weed and sex.

if u really want to stop it u have to avoid situations that make u have access to it.

example dont walk around with your atm. if u know that once u get home the money in your house is enough to buy the next shot, since the urge hasnt come take that money to pos people and deposit it there. make up ur mind that u will only drink in occasions and not regularly.

apart from that keep ur mind orself busy after i discovered say no to cultisms thread on cultism, full 66 pages i devoted myself to reading it. My mind was occupied for a few days

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Skepticus: 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2019
cool

OP, I've been there and getting out gradually.

Alcohol is pleasurably addictive but harmful to your vital organs and general well-being. After the euphoria, you are back to your previous fûcked up state and even worse, this time, because alcohol is a depressant.

I'll suggest that you start engaging with people who are non alcoholics and find an engaging and psychological activity to replace alcohol when in private. For example, sports.

The fight to drop that bottle of liquor isn't going to be easy but I believe you'll achieve it.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Kingluqman(m): 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
Brewery

grin
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
We all are.

Try your best to avoid bars for the main time, if it could help.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by labusinessguide: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
My thoughts

Drinking is not a problem

Abusing it is a problem that will affect your health most importantly.

As you may have noticed, alcohol have a negative impact on the body.

Now, here are some quick facts

Alcohol is fermented sugar

Much intake of alcohol will definitely make your insulin work double as hard to remain in check

Alcohol affects kidney and liver

Anything taken in excess will always have a negative impact on the kidney and liver.

This is exactly why drunkards speak in tongues until the system excretes the alcohol.

So even if you don't want to quit alcoholic beverages, reconsider for the sake of your health and wellness.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by TechCapon(m): 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
Lol, I like alcohol too and my girl likes it even more than myself. Thing is to do things that keep you busy and before you know it you'll stay one whole week without even a sip of alcoholic drink

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Inbox me
Kindly share whatever you have for her here sir.
You may help other people addicted to alcohol also.
Thanks in addy!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by hopexter(m): 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
Enjoy it auntie, we are all addicted to something, God doesn't need the body anyways, it's the Soul he wants. grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Lekanbery: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
Clean iphone 6s Plus 128GB for sale. Call or whatsapp 0906853565two. Lagos/ Ikotun
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
Kingluqman:
Brewery
grin
Please, kindly shut up if you have no contributions to make on the topic.
This thread is not for under 15....okay?!
Be guided!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by TheFacelessMan: 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2019
cry

My own addiction is energy drinks....

Don't know when to stop!

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Blue3k(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2019
Go to rehab. Check if there's Alcoholics Anonymous or similar program.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by deavicky(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2019
It's difficult to stop, but it is not impossible. All u need do is try to control the urge for it. Anytime u feel like taking alcohol go and drink cold water in large quantity feel up ur stomach. Try to say away from those friends of urs. Caution urself too on it. Try it for sometimes it will definitely work for you. And also don't forget that men can take advantage of u when you are drunk, I'm sure u won't like that. So just think about that and help urself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by greggng: 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2019
gracegrace668:

All you need is a good boy friend like me ...I know how to handle issues of this nature....do you eat bitterleaf?
Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Longcucumber(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2019
People no just get problem for this life.so for ur mind u get problem.aunty if drink hungry u drink abeg life is too short and something must kill a woman.

10 Likes

Re: Help, I'm An Alcoholic! by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2019
grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reasons Why Bride Is Happier Than Groom During Wedding Ceremony / What Are The Weirdest Things You've Seen Your Kids Do? / Army Colonel And Wife Welcome Twins After 12 Years Of Marriage (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.