Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Which Other Sports Could Nigeria Have Won Medals At Commonwealth Games - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Other Sports Could Nigeria Have Won Medals At Commonwealth Games (854 Views)

BBC Disrespects Nigeria And Blessing Okagbare At Commonwealth Game / Blessing Okagbare Wins 100m gold at Commonwealth Games in 10.85s (video) / Second Nigerian Tests Positive At Commonwealth Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Which Other Sports Could Nigeria Have Won Medals At Commonwealth Games by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 14, 2010
Fellow Nairalanders, having been following the commonwealth games in India it has been interesting to see that team Nigeria have not done too badly in terms of medals won. However when you look at the medals table and see teams like Australia, England, Canada and even India the hosts winning twice or even thrice the medals Nigeria have won I began to wonder if Nigeria could have done better.

I saw that these countries won a lot of medals in sports which we in Nigeria wouldn't see as sports per se. The most notable "sports" with squillions of medals on offer were shooting and archery. In archery there were men and women team or individual  recurve and compound medals on offer while over different distances. In shooting you had men and women individual and team medals in pistol and small bore singles skeet, standard pistol and clay target.

I honestly have no idea what all these mean but I know that those countries mentioned above won loads of medals in these "sports" and Nigeria could have done the same if only we can harness our natural talents in these "sports". Everyday in Nigeria you read about armed robbers engaged in gun fights with police, kidnappers and militants in shoot outs.I am sure that some of these armed robbers, militants and policemen would be good shots and with the right equipment and training will do Nigeria proud. Also they would all be on the same team, police and armed robbers will divert their shooting talents to more positive uses and the problems of militancy, armed robbery and unlawful police killing will be solved chike na.  grin

On archery which is essentially a bow and arrows "sport" the boko haram insurgents can be world beaters. Imagine the havoc they wreak with their crude bows and arrows lol. I magine what they can do with proper space age bows and arrows in their hands. These guys could hit a moving target five miles away so competing with proper equipment and coaching will be a piece of cake abi. The problems of religious insurgency and riots will be solve pata pata. smiley

Fellow Nairalanders let me know what una think and in which other sports do you think we have talent but have not been harnessed.
Re: Which Other Sports Could Nigeria Have Won Medals At Commonwealth Games by folem: 1:41pm On Oct 14, 2010
afrokarma:

Fellow Nairalanders, having been following the commonwealth games in India it has been interesting to see that team Nigeria have not done too badly in terms of medals won. However when you look at the medals table and see teams like Australia, England, Canada and even India the hosts winning twice or even thrice the medals Nigeria have won I began to wonder if Nigeria could have done better.

I saw that these countries won a lot of medals in sports which we in Nigeria wouldn't see as sports per se. The most notable "sports" with squillions of medals on offer were shooting and archery. In archery there were men and women team or individual  recurve and compound medals on offer while over different distances. In shooting you had men and women individual and team medals in pistol and small bore singles skeet, standard pistol and clay target.

I honestly have no idea what all these mean but I know that those countries mentioned above won loads of medals in these "sports" and Nigeria could have done the same if only we can harness our natural talents in these "sports". Everyday in Nigeria you read about armed robbers engaged in gun fights with police, kidnappers and militants in shoot outs.I am sure that some of these armed robbers, militants and policemen would be good shots and with the right equipment and training will do Nigeria proud. Also they would all be on the same team, police and armed robbers will divert their shooting talents to more positive uses and the problems of militancy, armed robbery and unlawful police killing will be solved chike na.  grin

On archery which is essentially a bow and arrows "sport" the boko haram insurgents can be world beaters. Imagine the havoc they wreak with their crude bows and arrows lol. I magine what they can do with proper space age bows and arrows in their hands. These guys could hit a moving target five miles away so competing with proper equipment and coaching will be a piece of cake abi. The problems of religious insurgency and riots will be solve pata pata. smiley

Fellow Nairalanders let me know what una think and in which other sports do you think we have talent but have not been harnessed.

Professional sport is a lot more developed and complicated than what you wrote up there. If Taekwondo was in the Commonwealth Games we will get some more medals.

2010 Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010

Aquatics - 56
Archery - 8
Athletics - 52
Badminton - 6
Boxing - 10
Cycling - 18
Gymnastics - 20
Hockey - 2
Lawn bowls - 6
Netball - 1
Rugby sevens - 1
Shooting - 36
Squash - 5
Table tennis- 8
Tennis - 5
Weightlifting - 17
Wrestling - 21

Total Gold Medals -272

(1) (Reply)

Npl Players Who Left In 2009/10 / Nigerian Cadet Side Begin Camping In Calabar / Black Stars 4- Tunisia 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.