Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Tinting Car Windows - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tinting Car Windows (18156 Views)

Is it a big issue if I tint my car windows? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinting Car Windows by atilla(m): 6:13pm On May 12, 2007
Hi guys I have a toyota corolla gli 1.6 1993.

I'm thinking of tinting the windows to my car. I was wondering what exactly are the rules for tinting cars. Someone said as long as you can see inside the car from outside then you don't need a police permit for tinting the windows.
Where is the best place to get the tinting done and about how much would it be to do all the windows plus front and back windscreens.
Re: Tinting Car Windows by rilla64: 6:16pm On May 17, 2007
dunno but will find out
Re: Tinting Car Windows by umarguy(m): 6:35pm On May 17, 2007
sry to say bt d police will harass you. they'll tell you every tinted car must get a permit from the IG'S office. where's urs??
Re: Tinting Car Windows by thegame(m): 3:16pm On Jun 04, 2007
It's not even only the police that will harass you. THE FRSC will impound your sao called toyota. Unless you driving a car worth arounf 20 million. That's when tinting even comes standard and they will have no choice but believe you.
I hope this helps
Re: Tinting Car Windows by sultaan(m): 6:08am On Jun 05, 2007
Naija wants 8 yrs old cars, and most of the SUVs and Vans have rear tinted windows standard. Will the IG(?) give permit for those type of tints?
Re: Tinting Car Windows by atilla(m): 2:28pm On Jun 17, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I wont do any tinting unless I can get permit first.

Do you guys know where I can get the police permit from and abouts how much would it cost
Re: Tinting Car Windows by mrofficial(m): 11:00am On Jun 18, 2007
Wooo, your head go hot, them go ask you say who you be wey you dey tint your ride, no try am hooo
Re: Tinting Car Windows by otoidea(m): 2:09pm On Jun 18, 2007
the kind sun wey dey up there tintin iz needed oooo
no be by personality, tint + oye b4 u can ride ok
Re: Tinting Car Windows by babasin(m): 2:18pm On Jun 18, 2007
you need police permit and it cost N500

tell them you have genetic disease that makes you go crazy when expose to sun at 37degree

grin cheesy grin
Re: Tinting Car Windows by atilla(m): 3:46pm On Jun 18, 2007
I just got a mail from one other nairaland member that got police permit. He said it cost like 70gs from force headquarters in Lagos.

WOw i was really shocked. I will send one of my police friends to find out. If its that expensive I will forget it oh.

no be by force abi
Re: Tinting Car Windows by sultaan(m): 5:33pm On Jun 18, 2007
70Gs for something you can buy and install yourself for 3Gs!

Get the sunshade and stick them on your car

http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/photos/AUTO-40804-2T.jpg
Re: Tinting Car Windows by thegame(m): 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2007
atilla:

I just got a mail from one other nairaland member that got police permit. He said it cost like 70gs from force headquarters in Lagos.

WOw i was really shocked. I will send one of my police friends to find out. If its that expensive I will forget it oh.

no be by force abi
I was told you will have to get to IG's office now.

babasin:

you need police permit and it cost N500

tell them you have genetic disease that makes you go crazy when expose to sun at 37degree

grin cheesy grin
This is really funny
Re: Tinting Car Windows by babasin(m): 4:52pm On Jun 22, 2007
@thegame,

It works.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Tinting Car Windows by thegame(m): 12:07pm On Jun 23, 2007
babasin. that's somehow cool but you think it's gonna work all the time?
Re: Tinting Car Windows by atilla(m): 2:30pm On Jul 01, 2007
I dont think the 500 all the time will work. the day i dont have money nko

A police man went to city hall onikan for me and found that it is about 20,000 with proof of ownership and driver license. I will wait till i have money before i do the tinting.

it onlly remains where I can find someone that will do a good job for me??
Re: Tinting Car Windows by Shentz(f): 8:56pm On Jul 01, 2007
Hmmm,
Re: Tinting Car Windows by Albert09(m): 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2007
S.1 of the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of tinted glass) Act, CAP M21,  Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 provides:

Execpt with the permission of the appropriate authority designated for
      the purposes of this Act and for such good case may be determined from
      time to time by the appropriate authority, no person shall cause any glass
      fitted on a motor vehicle to be-
       a)  tinted; or
       b)  shaded; or
       c)   coloured lightly or thickly; or
       d)  darkened; or
       e)  treated in any other way,
   so that the persons or objects in the Motor vehicle are rendered obscure or invisible.
It goes on to define 'good cause' as health or security reasons. Penalty for defaulters is N 2000.00 or 6 months in prisonment or both upon conviction

It has been rightly stated that the appropriate authority to grant permission for any person to tint the glass of a motor vehicle is the IG of police or any person or authority authorised by him. So, if you desire to tint the glass of your car, it is better to pay the appropriate fees. I am sure that the statutory fees will be affordable but you know you have to grease the palms of our POLICEMEN.
Re: Tinting Car Windows by Guse: 9:09pm On Jul 06, 2007
My guy! Find your way to Ladipo Mushin lagos. Tinting costs 1500. You have to be smart if you want a reduction. This is niger, with or without licence police go chop!
Re: Tinting Car Windows by Jakumo(m): 11:42am On Jul 07, 2007
Albert09:

S.1 of the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of tinted glass) Act, CAP M21, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 provides:

, " no person shall cause any glass
fitted on a motor vehicle to be-
a) tinted; or
b) shaded,
, " Penalty for defaulters is N 2000.00 or 6 months in prisonment or both upon conviction"

Very authoritative answer, Albert, but as someone pointed out earlier in this post, most SUV's come standard with factory-tinted windows.

Since the drivers of vehicles that came stock with tinted windows cannot be said to have "caused" such car windows to be tinted, as specified by wording of the statute above, can we therefore presume there exists a loophole in this law which exempts tinted-window SUV drivers in Nigeria from all liabilities excluding of course the traditional police road-side "donations" ?
Re: Tinting Car Windows by rowlandwhy: 3:31pm On Jul 07, 2007
@poster ,

what are your reasons for tinting your car before i give my suggestion?
Re: Tinting Car Windows by romeo(m): 4:22pm On Jul 07, 2007
rowlandwhy:

@poster ,

what are your reasons for tinting your car before i give my suggestion?

what a question!!!

go and ask mercedes benz and lexus, bmw,volkwagen makers why they tint their glasses before selling to the public

@topic
you can only do the license in Abuja and as of last december it was around 25-30 k depending on the person u met
Re: Tinting Car Windows by rowlandwhy: 4:44pm On Jul 07, 2007
romeo:

what a question!!!

go and ask mercedes benz and lexus, bmw,volkwagen makers why they tint their glasses before selling to the public

Why didnt he go for the already made mercedes and bmw tinted glass cars?

MAN, don't be faster or smarter than your shadow OK!
The reason of my question is best known to me.
Re: Tinting Car Windows by BlackMamba(m): 5:47pm On Jul 07, 2007

Since the drivers of vehicles that came stock with tinted windows cannot be said to have "caused" such car windows to be tinted, as specified by wording of the statute above, can we therefore presume there exists a loophole in this law which exempts tinted-window SUV drivers in Nigeria from all liabilities excluding of course the traditional police road-side donations" ?

Save a definite interpretation by the Court on this issue, it's my opinion that if you knowingly purchased a vehicle already fitted with glasses that contravene the statute, you legally "caused" the windows to be so fitted.
Re: Tinting Car Windows by Seun(m): 5:49pm On Jul 07, 2007
Blackmamba, that makes no sense. It's like saying, "if you marry a blind man you caused him to be blind".

2 Likes

Re: Tinting Car Windows by choco4life(m): 6:13pm On Jul 07, 2007
; ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Tinting Car Windows by Caradona(f): 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2007
I don't even know why anyone would want to tint his/her car.
please buy sunglasses and avoid the harassment by the police tongue
Me and my friend almost got shot by Mobile Police,
they thought we were the daughters of Armed Robbers shocked
Re: Tinting Car Windows by romeo(m): 7:37pm On Jul 07, 2007
may u looked like and dressed like those armed robbers kids
Re: Tinting Car Windows by kaynoJah(m): 10:03pm On Jul 07, 2007
Guys, permit for tinted glass of motor vehicles come from the IGP's (or his designate's, usually a DC or CP) office. And must either be for security or health reason. The former, if you are an executive government/public office holder and the later, if you have a proven chronic ailment that escalates by exposure to sun. In this case, a certified and duly-registered physician working in a government hospital MUST issue you with a medical report giving details of your malady.
Armed with this letter and ownership evidence of the vehicle, you then write an application requesting for a permit to use tinted glass on the vehicle.
There is no specified amount, to be regarded as official fee, to the best of my knowledge, when I did mine. It however, becomes imperative, one pays the 'right' fee and get a genuine permit, otherwise, you might get scammed trying to save a little dough and falling into a booby trap. What I imply here is that it will be tantamount to criminal offence to carry a phoney permit for tinted glass with a forged CP's or IG's signature! Those guys 'on black' will skin you alive before getting you to a court of law for procedural trial for forgery. Can you beat that? It is one thing paying the right fee and a whole different bit getting the right permit.
Please, be guided if you must tint your car glass.
Re: Tinting Car Windows by BlackMamba(m): 11:16pm On Jul 07, 2007

Blackmamba, that makes no sense. It's like saying, "if you marry a blind man you caused him to be blind".

Confusing analogy.

You had an option to buy a vehicle with tinted or clear windows. Inconvenient option in Naija, but still an option. Bottom line is that until the statute is amended or interpreted to recognize that tinted windows has become standard, you're still liable if you choose a vehicle with tinted windows when there are clear window options available in the market.
Re: Tinting Car Windows by Jakumo(m): 10:11am On Jul 08, 2007
Ok then Mamba, if the legal definition of "causing" car windows to be tinted is broadened to encompass the act of purchasing a vehicle with factory-tinted windows, then the question that springs to mind relates to the inherent legality of openly marketed cars that come equipped with tinted windows, which are purchased and then successfully registered and licensed for public road useage in Nigeria.

In short,  if it is NOT legal in Nigeria to own a vehicle with tinted windows unless for very specific medical reasons or if one is a high-ranking government official , how come all such vehicles are not impounded at car sale lots all over Nigeria, or even at the point of import entry, by government customs agents ?   Is the potential car customer not entitled to conclude that any vehicle purchased with valid import documentation and then registered by Nigerian authorities is 100% street legal by definition ?

Someone suggested earlier that for travel on Nigerian roads, sunglasses make a good substitute for tinted windows, with the great advantage of one being able to remove those glasses to put trigger-happy cops at ease, a luxury not available to motorists sitting behind tinted car windows   I'll raise a toast to that wisdom.
Re: Tinting Car Windows by bodsibobo(m): 3:47pm On Jul 08, 2007
o pari!

deadi boodi geeti assident, yeeeparipa,

confusion breaki boone, yeeeparipa,

double wahala for deadi boodi, and the owner of deadi boodi.
  (courtesy fela anikulapo kuti a.k.a baba 70)

Trust Nairaland users, this guy just asked a simple question regarding tinting of his Toyota, by the time this thread gets to page 23 we would all be talking about the spiritual implications and otherwise of the inventor of the constituents of the tinting material, the first person to use it and maybe also the legality of the nigerian constitution on tinting of vehicle wind screens!

2 Likes

Re: Tinting Car Windows by Jakumo(m): 7:32pm On Jul 08, 2007
Hey, what can I say, Bodsmon ?     I want to be an attorney when I grow up. 

Talk about coincidence.   I was just putting finishing touches to a 20-page dissertation on the social, psychological, moral, geo-political and yes, SPIRITUAL ramifications of driving around in a vehicle with tinted windows.    I take it you won't be reading that paper in its entirety, but I trust your apathy to this crucial discussion will change with time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What To Do When Your Brakes Fail? / Innoson Motors To Manufacture Nigerian Army Vehicles / 2016 Toyota Avalon Flooded, (non Starter) Needs Repair. Solved page 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.