Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba (1556 Views)

38 People Dead: Boko Haram On The Run, Chadian Forces In Pursuit / Chief Of Army Staff Doing Push Ups With Soldiers(photo) / Graphic Photos Of Kidnappers Shot Dead By Security Operatives In Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by Beaf: 2:14am On Oct 16, 2010
[size=14pt]Six hours with soldiers in pursuit of kidnappers in Aba[/size]
Crime Guard Oct 16, 2010 By Anayo Okoli

Military task force guys

THURSDAY, October 14, 2010 was a memorable day for a group of journalists, including this reporter, who elected to join the military task force operating in Abia state to flush criminals elements,   that   had held the state hostage   paralysing Aba, the commercial capital of the city.

The journalists had assembled at the Ngwa High School Camp of the soldiers for   the eye-witness account of the operation of the task force.

The journalists had assembled at the Camp by 10am and waited till about 12pm when the Assistant Director of Army Public Relations, 82 Division, Enugu, Lt. Col. Kabir Musa, who led the journalists to the bush arrived from the Asa High School Military Base. However, while we were waiting for Musa, it was observed that there were some suspected kidnappers already arrested who were being screened at the Camp.

They were led out from where they were kept for screening by the officers in charge.

At about 12.15pm, herding the journalists   in   four of the military trucks recently given to the task force by Governor Theodore Orji for the operation, with some soldiers joining in each of the truck, the journey into the kidnappers den began. Led by an Armoured Personnel Carrier [APC], the convoy moved to the admiration of Aba residents, who were happy that life was returning    to the bubbling city that was until two weeks ago virtually a ghost town  as residents left  the city in droves  and kidnappers ruled

Surprisingly, while the soldiers were busy restoring life and order to the city, policemen in the city were busy collecting money from motorists and tricycle operators. In fact as the convoy moved from one town to another passing the  Obingwa area, which was our first port of call, some residents shouted that policemen should   be removed from the city and replaced with soldiers.

From Aba the convoy moved through the bad road   between thick forests to Ogbuala village Mgboko. As the  convoy moved from village to village, the few people we saw were downcast  . Unlike the people of Aba city who were cheering the soldiers, there was no sign of joy in them, an indication that the soldiers had come to destroy their business.

Through pa th  ways, which all look alike, we arrived at the house of a native doctor who prepared charms for the kidnappers. A moderate modern house, with a sign post “Ugochinyere Trado Clinic”, the man was said to have abandoned the house when the task force entered the village.

According to Lt. Col. Musa, the kidnappers divided Abia state into groups with each group   led by kidnapping kingpin, Obioma Nwankwo [Osisikankwu] who has been declared wanted by the police as the overall leader.

The Aba-Port Harcourt axis very notorious for the activities of kidnappers was under the control of a kingpin known as SUSU who was said to be very dangerous and ruthless.

So from the native doctor’s house, the convoy moved to Susu’s Camp, in Umuezi, few kilometers from the native doctor’s house. It was of great interest that as we passed from village to village in this Mgboko, it was like a ghost town as it was said that the inhabitants had all fled, both old and young when the soldiers invaded them.

As you approached  Susu’s Camp, which shared a  wall with St. Michael’s Catholic Church, and opposite a primary school, which from indications, had been abandoned due to the activities of these hoodlums, we saw  expended shell of ammunitions scattered both inside the classrooms and on the field.

There were empty bottles of choice wines, canned  beer of various brands, used packets of condom, empty packets of different  bands of cigarettes, scattered both inside the class rooms and on the field. From what was observed around the house, it was certain that the hoodlums lived flamboyantly , perhaps from proceeds of the lucrative business where millions of Naria were being paid by victims as ransom.

Inside Susu’s house a very modern house with expensive POP ceiling, which served as his Camp headquarters, and has been  destroyed by the task force, empty cases of expended ammunitions were scattered both inside and outside the house.

Described as a very dangerous bank armed robber, a big bank save was discovered where it was buried in a shallow hole at the back of the house   bordered   a very thick forest. The save was believed to have been brought there by Susu and his group perhaps in one their numerous bank attacks in Aba. A rifle was also recovered in the house by the soldiers.

It is very interesting to note that at the point of entry to Susu’s Camp, is a check-point, well fortified with sand bags, which was being manned by some members of the hoodlums. They mounted a sign-post at the check-point with which they used to deceive people. It read:”Welcome to the Amnesty Camp, Abia state. Let peace reign”. This was a deceit and ploy to lure unsuspecting persons.

However, quite surprising and embarrassing was the suspected connivance of the pastor in charge of the Catholic church which shared a  wall with the Camp. From the closeness of the church and the camp and juxtaposing it with illegal point mounted by the hoodlum’s right in front of the church, the task force suspected that the pastor could not claim ignorance of the activities of the hoodlums.

On account of this, the soldiers   searched    the pastor’s house and they were said to have recovered five expended cases of ammunition in a car   parked in his house located at the back of the church. Of course the pastor whose name Musa did not recollect has been arrested and handed over to security agencies for interrogation.

The task force believed that it was “either that the pastor was  with them or aiding them”. The kidnappers were also believed to be using the pastor’s only source of water which he made available through a tap extended outside by his wall.

It was clear evidence that Mgboko village was deep into kidnapping business as through out the period we stayed in the Susu Camp and around we did not see any human being. We only saw dogs and cows mowing on the primary school field in front the church and opposite the Camp, which is a stone throw from the major road.

From there we drove again through the thick forests surrounding the villages back to Aba and on to Asa High School, on the Port Harcourt-Aba Express way. As we passed    the centre of Aba, the residents jubilated.

At the camp, we saw 21 different of vehicles, including jeeps, and other exotic cars as well as buses which were either snatched by the hoodlums or belonged to kidnapped victims, some of who may have died.

They were recovered from the various bushes already combed by the soldiers.
Motorists on the hitherto dangerous Aba-Port Harcourt road now ply the road with confidence. Their only problem remains the extortion by the numerous police check-points mounted at almost every two poles on the road.

With the on-going operation, it is hoped that in a couple of weeks all those that fled Aba will all return with their families and some good natives of the notorious Ngwa villages will return

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/six-hours-with-soldiers-in-pursuit-of-kidnappers-in-aba/
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by Beaf: 2:16am On Oct 16, 2010
The mere sight of those soldiers na die! shocked
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by Nobody: 2:24am On Oct 16, 2010
Beaf:

The mere sight of those soldiers na die! shocked
should i call this a fallacy or classic hypothesis ? Was it not you that was against the deployment of soldiers to Aba in the height of the kidnapping crisis there ? And here you are praising the soldiers !
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by Beaf: 2:28am On Oct 16, 2010
~Bluetooth:

should i call this a fallacy or classic hypothesis ? Was it not you that was against the deployment of soldiers to Aba in the height of the kidnapping crisis there ? And here you are praising the soldiers !

Shut up dude! Where have I praised any soldier or are you fcking blind?
Get a life!
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by Nobody: 2:31am On Oct 16, 2010
Beaf:

The mere sight of those soldiers[b] na die![/b] shocked
Comot there.you think say na only sabi WAFI ? What does the bolded expression means ? since you are not blind.
Beaf:

Shut up dude! Where have I praised any soldier or are you fcking blind?
Get a life!
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by Beaf: 2:40am On Oct 16, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Comot there.you think say na only sabi WAFI ? What does the bolded expression means ? since you are not blind.

Yeah, I grew up in Wafi, so? If you don't understand something, ask.
Something tells me you just wanted to carry on argument that has no business on this thread; thats just fcking childish and damn annoying.
The mere sight of the soldiers is what I referred to, and its quite obvious.
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by hakanai(m): 2:52pm On Oct 18, 2010
@beaf
Would i get your support, if i called for the reduction of police salary and increase of Army salary ?i mean they defend the country and police the country with fewer personnel and while the dead organisation called Police is there wasting valuble resources angry.left for me if one does the maths we better consider paying people for there efforts as they contribute it undecided.I will not pay a lazy staff,a dine while a hard working one starves cool shocked!
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by netotse(m): 3:19pm On Oct 18, 2010
@beaf
those aren't the task force soldiers, those are army special forces on parade for the 50th anniversary. . .
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by monkeyleg: 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2010
what a joke. This country doesnt cease to amaze, so the sight of this in a practicing democracy doesnt worry anyone?
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by Beaf: 4:35pm On Oct 18, 2010
haka_nai:

@beaf
Would i get your support, if i called for the reduction of police salary and increase of Army salary ?i mean they defend the country and police the country with fewer personnel and while the dead organisation called Police is there wasting valuble resources angry.left for me if one does the maths we better consider paying people for there efforts as they contribute it undecided.I will not pay a lazy staff,a dine while a hard working one starves cool shocked!

Yes, you get my support 100%. I hold the opinion that Nigerian police directly cause, as well as oil the wheels of crime. If our entire police force was to vanish in a single moment, nobody would feel anything amiss, rather life would go on much smoother than it did and crime levels would drop drastically.
Behind every successful armed robber, there is a police man; behind every road block, there is a "roger" taker; behind every armed brigand, there is a police rifle etc.

We don't need our police force; in other countries, 90% of them should be in jail.

I will add one last thing though, the police problem is just a single manifestation of Nigeria's structural malaise. There is so much for us to fix to get the place moving like an oiled machine. In a truly federal state, we would not have such a problem, in fact there would be no NPF as currently exists. Each state would have its own police that would deal with all local issues and report to the federal level. With such an arrangement, it would be difficult to polute all state forces from the federal level as currently occurs.
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by netotse(m): 5:01pm On Oct 18, 2010
Beaf:

[b]Yes, you get my support 100%. I hold the opinion that Nigerian police directly cause, as well as oil the wheels of crime. If our entire police force was to vanish in a single moment, nobody would feel anything amiss, rather life would go on much smoother than it did and crime levels would drop drastically.
[/b]Behind every successful armed robber, there is a police man; behind every road block, there is a "roger" taker; behind every armed brigand, there is a police rifle etc.

We don't need our police force; in other countries, 90% of them should be in jail.

I will add one last thing though, the police problem is just a single manifestation of Nigeria's structural malaise. There is so much for us to fix to get the place moving like an oiled machine. In a truly federal state, we would not have such a problem, in fact there would be no NPF as currently exists. Each state would have its own police that would deal with all local issues and report to the federal level. With such an arrangement, it would be difficult to polute all state forces from the federal level as currently occurs.
. . .i hope all is well?
Re: Six Hours With Soldiers In Pursuit Of Kidnappers In Aba by DanWaziri(m): 5:52pm On Oct 18, 2010
Haha. I like how these sojas dey show equipment o. The two dudes on the right dey use night vision goggles for afternoon. na wa o!

(1) (Reply)

Inec Orders Re Run In Imo State / Western Regime Change Strategy For Mineral Resources I.e. Oil, Gas, Gold Etc. / Muslim Youths Guard Churches In Minna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.