Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

Please Teach Me How To Cook. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please Teach Me How To Cook. (1872 Views)

Someone Should Please Teach Me How To Prepare Ofada Rice / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg / Please, Teach Me How To Make Toast Bread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Teach Me How To Cook. by TRUSTEDGUY: 3:48pm On Oct 16, 2010
PLEASE! PLEASE!
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by Odunnu: 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2010
What do you want to cook?
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2010
Fried Rice the greenish type.
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by Odunnu: 8:55pm On Oct 16, 2010
How and how much are you going to pay for the tuition?
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by Odunnu: 8:55pm On Oct 16, 2010
How and how much are you going to pay for the tuition?
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by TRUSTEDGUY: 9:25pm On Oct 16, 2010
Help me now I want to be a good guy.
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by cathrinne: 12:50pm On Oct 19, 2010
Okay , Can you tell me please that what you want to cook?My mother's cooking is best and I always take her help for it .
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2010
Fried rice the greenish type.
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by NiaLong(f): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2010
I was hopin sum one was goin to offer to help u. Anyway luk thru any of d older threads u should get help if not i could help lata .
Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by mplusp(f): 12:57am On Oct 24, 2010
I wonder which one you are refering to as the greenish type. But here is how to prepare fried rice.

Ingredients
•Rice - 3 cigar cups | 750g
•Vegetable Oil
•Chicken (whole chicken or chicken drumsticks)
•Cow Liver (100g)
•Plain Yellow Curry Powder – no chilli (1 tablespoon)
•Green Beans (a handful)
•5 medium sized carrots
•Salt (to taste)
•Onions - 3 medium sized bulbs
•Seasoning – 3 Maggi/Knorr cubes & Thyme (1 teaspoon)
Before you cook the Fried Rice
Cut the vegetables

Wash all the vegetables to be used in cooking the fried rice. Scrape and cut the carrots into tiny cubes. Cut the green beans into small pieces of about 0.7cm long. Soak these 2 vegetables separately in hot water for about 5 minutes and drain. Cut 1 bulb of onion. Set all these aside.

Prepare the liver and chicken
Steam the cow liver and cut into tiny pieces.

Cut the whole chicken into pieces and cook with 1 teaspoon of thyme and 2 bulbs of chopped onions. When the chicken is almost done, add 3 cubes of Maggi / Knorr seasoning and a small amount of salt. Remember to add water sparingly. Cook till tender. Put the pieces of chicken in a sieve to drain, then fry with vegetable oil. It can also be grilled in an oven till it is golden. This gives it a glowing look which is more presentable especially when you are entertaining guests.

Cooking Directions
1.Parboil the rice. Wash the parboiled rice and put in a sieve so all the water drains out.

2.Pour the chicken stock into a sieve to remove all traces of onions, thyme etc used in cooking the chicken. Pour the stock into a pot and set to boil. Once the water boils, add the parboiled rice. Also, add 1 tablespoon of plain yellow curry powder, then add salt and pepper to taste. The plain yellow curry powder is merely for colouring so should not contain chilli.

3.The water level should be slightly less than the level of the rice; at most it should be at the same level as the rice. This is to ensure that all the water dries up by the time the rice is cooked. Stir the contents; cover the pot and leave to cook on medium heat. This way the rice does not burn before the water dries up.

4.Once the water has dried up, check that the rice is cooked. Perfect fried rice is one that the grains are separated from one another, resistant to the bite but not hard.

5.Now, transfer the rice to a casserole dish or another pot to help cool it down quickly. This is essential to keep the grains from sticking to each other. If left in the original hot pot, the rice will continue to cook and eventually stick together.

Why it is called fried rice
At this point, it is advisable to divide the vegetables into say 4, 5 or even 6 equal parts. The rice will be fried in batches so this number depends on the quantity of rice you can comfortably fry in the pan or pot. Also, divide the cooked rice and the diced cow liver into the same number of equal parts.

6.Now pour a small amount of vegetable oil into a frying pan. This quantity of oil should be such that it would be absorbed by 1 part of the cooked rice and 1 part each of the vegetables. When the oil is hot, add 1 part of diced onions and stir for 10 seconds, followed by 1 part of diced cow liver, one part each of the diced vegetables, then 1 part of cooked rice.

7.Add more salt if necessary. More curry powder may also be added at this stage if you need to touch up on the colour. Stir till all the ingredients have mixed well and transfer to a dry pot. Repeat this for the remaining batches of the ingredients.

Culled from: http://www.allnigerianrecipes.com/rice/nigerian-fried-rice.html

Re: Please Teach Me How To Cook. by TRUSTEDGUY: 11:49pm On Oct 27, 2010
thanks a lot mplusp

(1) (Reply)

This big snake was killed in my neighbourhood / Itoro Food Stuff -oron Crayfish - Prawns - Snails - Palm Oil - Bonga Fish Supply / Are Pepper Leaves Edible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.