Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan (15302 Views)

See The Grammatical Blunder Of The Nigerian Police Force / Mother Of Mrs Jonathan, Sese Dies In Autocrash / Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by olo2gbenga(m): 2:56am On Oct 20, 2010
So what're you guys tryinf to say? Are you advocating for a second first lady? Make una leave the woman alone. With time, she'll overcome it.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Nobody: 3:49am On Oct 20, 2010
[size=15pt]BUNCH OF FOOLS, IS ENGLISH NIGERIA'S LANGUAGE, HAVE HEARD GERMAN CHANCELLOR MAKE A WHOLE LOADS OF ERROR AND EVEN FRANCE FIRST LADY[/size] FOOLISH TOPIC angry angry
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Omolulu(m): 3:58am On Oct 20, 2010
jayon:

[size=15pt]BUNCH OF FOOLS, IS ENGLISH NIGERIA'S LANGUAGE,  HAVE HEARD GERMAN CHANCELLOR MAKE A WHOLE LOADS OF ERROR AND EVEN  FRANCE FIRST LADY[/size] FOOLISH TOPIC angry angry

Bigger fool!! Is English the first language of these ladies you mentioned? or should she be speaking Ijaw or whatever dialect because it's her mother tongue? Bolo!!

She would get polished over time. Period!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by akings100: 9:33am On Oct 20, 2010
Pls bare with her at least she get small english cry cry cryidea
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by bejeria101(m): 1:00pm On Oct 20, 2010
well guys on one hand you wont blame her the idiots that surround her because of wat they will eat dont know any better, this woman does not have the carriage of a first lady!!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by papabaks(m): 1:57pm On Oct 20, 2010
THE WOMAN IS A FIRST LADY, WHAT HAVE YOU ACHIEVED IN YOUR LIFE.? SHE HAVE REACHED THE PINNACLES OF STANDARD AS FAR AS THIS COUNTRY IS CONSIGNED.

CAN YOU EVER GET TO THAT LEVEL IN YOUR LIFE? ALL YOU BUNCH OF JACKS,

Messi, C Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Kanu and so many of them that are grate stars in this world can not speak a correct English, not to now talk of a woman that can speak but with a few mistakes.

MADAM PRESIDENT SPEAK ANY HOW YOU LIKE YOU ARE IN CHARGE. grin
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by crackhouse(m): 2:01pm On Oct 20, 2010
@poster, this topic is not worth commenting on but i am commenting on it cos i want u to know that English language is a white man's language and it cannot be use to measure somebody's level of intelligence. Do u know that, there are presidents of some countries that doesn't know how to speak English lang, will u say those presidents are not educated?. A Nigerian Speaking English is similar to an igbo or yoruba man speaking hausa or an hausa man speaking yoruba. This is one of the problems we have in this country. We tend to respect and regard those that speak English well than those that don't, and that's why our politicians loot public funds cos they can stand up and speak English for hours, even without an idea, plans or good policy on how to make Nigeria good and despite that, people will clap for them due to their well spoken English and at the end of the day they will end up doing nothing cos they lack the required ideas and plans on how to implement. So, free Mrs. jonathan jor.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by osifred(m): 2:19pm On Oct 20, 2010
of what essence is dis article. To make a mockery of our 1st lady on an international playground. By d way it wil be gud if she can speak simple correct english but it shouldnt be a tin of mockery if she can.We r watch
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Meristem: 3:24pm On Oct 20, 2010
I don't know why 9jarians find it difficult to be objective-especially when our person is involved. I don't see any ounce of substance in the argument that all she needs to do is to "communicate" no matter how bad her grammar is. SHE IS THE PRESIDENT'S WIFE guys! and that is not a PRIVATE affair. Mrs Jonathan is a PUBLIC FIGURE and hate it or love it, one of the burdens of the position is PUBLIC SCRUTINY.She NEEDS to communicate in well polished language. Someone even said English Language is not her first language. So what bros? maybe you will tell GEJ to address Nigerians in Kalabari language on NTA one day. For the records, I have absolutely nothing against President Jonathan or his wife, but a situation in which the First Lady's grammar embarrasses Nigerians is not ideal. It has to be improved upon - urgently!!!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by ninobere(m): 4:20pm On Oct 20, 2010
One thing I have observed about our so-called 'big' men or women is that they think they have 'arrived' and so, cannot be talked to or corrected. Her husband has been a public figure for a while now and she has had enough time to brush up on her english, but has chosen not to. So why not ridicule her? Maybe it will get her to have a re-think then drop her pride and take correction. She represents the whole of Nigerian women and women should look up to her. She should be an example, as must all our leaders.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by jaybee(f): 4:38pm On Oct 20, 2010

The woman should simply hire an interpreter so that she can speak in Izon while the interpreter explains it in English. shikena.

But , meanwhile, her husband has lost my vote for marrying an illiterate woman.

She no fit polish herself grammatically right from when her husband be deputy director for OMPADEC, deputy Guvnor for Bayelsa, Guvnor for Bayelsa, Vice presido for Naija & now Presido. Haba Hajia, 

This s one of the few sensible posts on this thread.

its only in nigeria that the mediocrity of "rulers" MUST be celebrated, and not criticized even constructively.

what is the achievement in being first lady? what has she achieved any way? SHE HAVE REACHED THE PINNACLES OF STANDARD AS FAR AS THIS COUNTRY IS CONSIGNED which pinnacle? which standard? which country?

i thought any woman with a "hole in between her legs can be a first lady? what's the big deal? is it not an honor that needs to be protected with the right carriage and poise? is she too big to be schooled? what are you guys excusing her laziness for?  

what do you mean by [b]"she has made it"?[/b]from wife of teacher, Local government Chairman, deputy governor, governor, vice president and now president she can not construct a simple sentence; and somebody is crying foul for an observation made.

instead of burying your heads in shame you are busy attacking courageous people that are helping her to reform and take the correct shape of a first lady.

don't you know there is a difference between a fish seller and first lady?

haba; if she is not english why speak english in the first place? those that love her should contact her and advise her appropriately instead of aimlessly and fruitlessly attacking progress seeking citizens here.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Ranoscky(m): 4:57pm On Oct 20, 2010
I taya for som pipu o! shocked which kain Amebo topic be dis ? undecided

Op, wetin concern u even if she speak broken ? undecided if sombody go baff for baff-room com out, e go make front page for Nairaland. If Emeka chop meat, Kayode chop kpomo, e go make front page for Nairaland, which one be una own sef ? undecided Shey dem tell u say na English 'Hu jin tao' (chinese president) dey speak for Obama if dem dey conference meetin ? All the so called literates wey dey for power for the past decades, wetin gud dem don do for us ?

Na handwork u no get b'cos, if u get somtyn doin, u no go even get tym watch tv talkless of bringin up dis topic !!!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by holydante(m): 5:19pm On Oct 20, 2010
Guys,its not a question of letting the woman be,since Nigeria has decided to tow the american line of 1st ladyship office,efforts should be made to scrutinise her public and private speech and discourse.how much will it cost to get an english language groomer for her?besides so many grads are looking for teaching employment. Come to fink of it,her husband is an acadenician (I hope I got it right) lol. Go patience!!!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by kokoletz(m): 5:20pm On Oct 20, 2010
D bros dt started dis topic needs 2 b beaten. Pls wat does d blunder take away 4rm her? I tink u need a knock.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Hpkins: 5:27pm On Oct 20, 2010
This isn't an emotional issue. It's a basic one. In 2010, our first lady should be able to speak proper English. Its not about envy or jealousy whichever you prefer. It also has absolutely nothing to do with facing a TV camera. You don't forget the basic rudiments of a language just because you are facing a camera and I am in a splendid position to say this because I have faced TV cameras many times. It's also not enough to use George Bush's gaffes as an excuse. The former American President put his foot in his mouth many times and his people did not let him off lightly. I can't count the number of times I read hilarious stories about him on the net. English is the language of business and if you are in a very public position like the first lady, it will be very tragic to make such basic mistakes in syntax and grammar. She is Nigeria's first lady. She needs to get a tutor very quickly. It's bad enough that we have many "Amos Adamus" amongst us. They have given us a bad name already. The first lady should not be added to the baggage we have to carry because we are Nigerians. It's that simple.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by real4jesus: 5:57pm On Oct 20, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin not only children, wat of childs and childrenses grin grin grin grin grin
LWKMD
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 20, 2010
papabaks:

THE WOMAN IS A FIRST LADY, WHAT HAVE YOU ACHIEVED IN YOUR LIFE.? SHE HAVE REACHED THE PINNACLES OF STANDARD AS FAR AS THIS COUNTRY IS CONSIGNED.

CAN YOU EVER GET TO THAT LEVEL IN YOUR LIFE? ALL YOU BUNCH OF JACKS,

Messi, C Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Kanu and so many of them that are grate stars in this world can not speak a correct English, not to now talk of a woman that can speak but with a few mistakes.

MADAM PRESIDENT SPEAK ANY HOW YOU LIKE YOU ARE IN CHARGE. grin

Ode listen to your self. The fact that you don't have a life doesn't apply to everyone else, Work harder you will earn one.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by obillyj(f): 9:35pm On Oct 20, 2010
Hahahahehehohohoa,"were once a children" i no tlk o cos it's nt ha fault aftall na oyibo man language
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Newnikolas(m): 11:10pm On Oct 20, 2010
She shouldn't be ridiculed simply because she couldn't speak good English. After all no one is perfect and there can't be perfection without trials and errors. Gbam
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Olumogun: 12:03am On Oct 21, 2010
She no fit polish herself grammatically right from when her husband be deputy director for OMPADEC, deputy Guvnor for Bayelsa, Guvnor for Bayelsa, Vice presido for Naija & now Presido. Haba Hajia,

Why are we in hurry for her to improve her spoken English? It is really too EARLY to do that.
Let us wait till after her husband's tenure. grin grin grin

To those who sees nothing wrong in her self public show of shame, and to those who are already politicizing or polarizing this issue, shame on you.

I think the Presidency should quickly vote a token of N10 billion to get English teacher for her.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 21, 2010
This is my take on this issue:

A lot of people on here are being loyal / patriotic to the point of blindness. This is one of the issues affecting Nigeria today, and why 50 years on, she's still in the same sad state. An inability to accept criticism, and correct the most basic of errors means no progress will ever be made. Once any criticism's made, the typical Nigerian reaction is to hurl verbal abuse, or say those criticising are jealous, envious, jobless etc. What's there to be jealous about, someone makes a public spectacle of themselves is something to aspire to?

And as for using the "English isn't our first language", that excuse is well and truly worn out. Because for the vast majority of Nigerians, English is our first language, regardless of what ethnic group we belong to. It's a common language to all Nigerians, and taught in every school. Some Nigerians just refuse to learn. How can anyone who's been through the educational system not be fluent in English, all the way from nursery school to university? Isn't this the case with Nigeria's First Lady? We're not talking the odd error here, we're talking about a woman that comes across as a stark illiterate when speaking in public. The wife of a country's President should be able to communicate in clear, concise English. As for blaming her PR officers, for not preparing her speeches, that's not even an issue. If they did prepare her speeches, what are the guarantees Patience Jonathan could even read these speeches as they're written?

Nigeria's First Lady has a lot to learn, and lets assume her husband was in office for the next 30 years, that wouldn't be enough time for her to change the way she addresses the nation, or the world. Some have it in them to learn and become proficient, some don't. If she hasn't grasped the use of basic English in 40-odd years, then she never will, which is a shame!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 21, 2010
If you like, tie rope with a big stone around your neck and jump into the lagoon just because of your first lady's incorrect spoken English ; she is the first lady and your shouting all over nairaland won't do anything near changing that. Can't you criticise someone with out raining abuses? Some of you wrote English as english, some discuss as discourse all in the name of criticising. Your hatred, jealousy, envy wont and cant change anything. Go get a life and let others live! Jobless people, its not your fault sha, na government's fault. If you want to see 2011, just dont dare insult or try to quote my post for criticism! To be fore-warned, is to be fore-harmed. I've written!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by fredaxgil: 9:51am On Oct 21, 2010
oyibo grammatical. pls leave my first lady alone,are you a professor of English?
then shame on you. don't you have a mother tongue? go and specialize there. English is borrowed,use to pass information and that's exactly what she did and am glad you got the message.When a white man says A seven man committee we say its modern , so, whats wrong with'A children'.maybe you should check the latest English dictionary before you loose your certificate.
OUR FIRST LADY IS A NIGERIAN AND SHOULD ONLY BE ASSESS ON HER PROPER USE OF HER MOTHER TONGUE-IGBO
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by ahmedoo(m): 12:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
Abeg make una allow our 1st lady enjoy her tenure jare, afterrall she is new in d game,she will improve wit time and even if she doesnt nutin spoil.by nw we supose don legalise pidgin english 4 9ja.proudly 9ja
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by goldboy(m): 1:13pm On Oct 21, 2010
We in Nija publicise unnecessary things so much that we ignore/forget the basics and the most important.

Did she pass any message accross Thats what we should be asking, and not just grammer.

U know what, many of us "holier than thou" people speak worse english or grammer and we are here claiming righteousness more than her, haba!!! Is that the most important thing to look out for??

While i dont support mediocrity, i really believe every one even she can still improve.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Ranoscky(m): 1:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
stevetboy9:

If you like, tie rope with a big stone around your neck and jump into the lagoon just because of your first lady's incorrect spoken English ; she is the first lady and your shouting all over nairaland won't do anything near changing that. Can't you criticise someone with out raining abuses? Some of you wrote English as english, some discuss as discourse all in the name of criticising. Your hatred, jealousy, envy wont and cant change anything. Go get a life and let others live! Jobless people, its not your fault sha, na government's fault. If you want to see 2011, just dont dare insult or try to quote my post for criticism! To be fore-warned, is to be fore-harmed. I've written!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
U gat me laffin $ in2 my bank account !!! grin

fredax gil:

oyibo grammatical. pls leave my first lady alone,are you a professor of English?
then shame on you. don't you have a mother tongue? go and specialize there. English is borrowed,use to pass information and that's exactly what she did and am glad you got the message.When a white man says A seven man committee we say its modern , so, whats wrong with'A children'.maybe you should check the latest English dictionary before you loose your certificate.
OUR FIRST LADY IS A NIGERIAN AND SHOULD ONLY BE ASSESS ON HER PROPER USE OF HER MOTHER TONGUE-IGBO

'A' seven man committee, instead of 'Seven man committee' .

Exactly my broda, you'r damn fukkin ryt (my mind no even go dia sef O!) shocked

ahmedoo:

Abeg make una allow our 1st lady enjoy her tenure jare, afterrall she is new in d game,she will improve wit time and even if she doesnt nutin spoil.by nw we supose don legalise pidgin english 4 9ja.proudly 9ja

I taya o, my broda. Even 'Hu jin tao' (Chinese president and a former biz man that was born and brought up in US) speaks his native language even when speakin to Obama in a conference meetin.

Some of us are the cause of it when any little arguement with som1, they'll start callin the other Iliterate as if they themselve knows it all (when even Obama himself knows not all about Education).
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Kaybee14(m): 3:28pm On Oct 21, 2010
Well? i'm not surprised at all.Let her continue 2 make d grammatical blunders.More power 2 her elbow.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by TRACK: 4:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
Some women speak very well but they cannot make good home talkless of marrying their husbands to attain good heights in career. this poster go and sit down. Respect ur leaders and pray for them.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Tregyl: 7:57pm On Oct 21, 2010
Please there is no need over flogging the issue. She just inherited the position. I guess with PATIENCE, the GOODLUCK will come and she will then comport and compose herself for better grammar. But come to think of it , I can bet you what she actually wanted to say was " Goodluck was once a CHILDREN and the senators were once a CHILD" hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Vindy: 8:17pm On Oct 21, 2010
Some of us in 9ja has mothers that can not read or write, does it mean that if our dad is in a public office we will like him to marry a younger and educated woman? Let's stop insulting out first lady.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Mustay(m): 7:32am On Oct 22, 2010
It's kinda weird seeing: "Leave her alone", "Una dey 'jhealous', u na never reach TV", "GEJ still loves her", "bad belle, what have you done to affect Nigerians". . .

@topic statements that we should leave her alone et al her all symptons of myopic intellectualism. C'mon, she's done something wrong especially for a so-called NCE holder! What would she be teaching our children?

ENGLISH remains this country's LIGUA FRANCA. Therefore, save us the excuse of "no be her mother tongue". Even late Babs Fafunwa who promoted Nigerian languages did not murder English neither did he stop speaking the language just because he's yoruba.

Do the right thing and stop the personal attacks. She's better off using the likes of Remi Oyo as PR instead of insulting our sensibilities.
Re: Grammatical Blunders Made By Mrs. Jonathan by Nixo: 2:33pm On Oct 22, 2010
This is appalling, shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Is it not enough for us to bare with her slow english reading style Do we also need to wear Grammer-Proofs as well? grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Happened To Christmas Cards? / Wealth Management Services - Do You Really Need Them / Ticket To Oil And Gas Gala Night Goes For N10M, And N300M For Table.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.