Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Gas Cooker Fire - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Gas Cooker Fire (2024 Views)

Brand New Ignis Gas Cooker model ACF 003 for Sale @ #26,000. / Pls How Do I Use My Gas Cooker Oven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gas Cooker Fire by oweniwe(m): 3:26pm On Oct 17, 2010
Hi every body. My pop's wife bought a gas cooker (those ones sold for 6k) to the just completed village house. While she was cooking with it last night, the cooker caught fire. Rather than try to put it out, the yeye woman (she's like those over painted lazy city women) ran upstairs to call my pop. By the time, the fire was burning brightly in the kitchen with gas reeking everywhere. My pop calmly used a plank to push the cooker out through the back door. We were lucky it didn't explode. There was no fire extinguisher in the house. Now i'v stopped using my gas cooker coz i de fear fire o. WHAT DOES ONE DO IF GAS COOKER CAUGHT FIRE? Pls i need urgent answers
Re: Gas Cooker Fire by snthesis(m): 4:54pm On Oct 17, 2010
For safety reasons it is usually advised that the gas cylinder is located out side d house and den u run a hose from the cylinder to the cooker,check periodically for worn out hoses, u shud change d hose like twice a year, gas used for cookin is general mixed wit a perfume,dis is to alert folks abt d presence of a leak. Always check 4 d expiry dates of d cylinder
Re: Gas Cooker Fire by oweniwe(m): 1:50pm On Oct 18, 2010
Thanks for the info dear. But if a gas cooker caught fire, what do i do? I hear pouring water on it would make it flare. Is it true?
Re: Gas Cooker Fire by luap: 7:13pm On Oct 18, 2010
Not sure what a gas cooker is? Is it a gas operated four burner range? Is so, there might be a gas cut off valve somewehre? I'd figure out where the gas valve is, train everyone in the home where it is and how to turn it off. Good thing to know in case you ever get a gas leak in your home. Don't turn on the light when there is a gas leak cause you might blow up your home. Just turn off the main valve and open the windows.
Re: Gas Cooker Fire by Rocktation(f): 8:48pm On Oct 18, 2010
It depends on how fast you can get to sand. Loads of sand will do the magic anyday.
Re: Gas Cooker Fire by xxcarolxx(f): 1:18am On Oct 27, 2010
Use a fire blanket, If not get damp towels and throw them over the flames,
Re: Gas Cooker Fire by clemcykul(f): 3:44pm On Nov 08, 2010
simply get a fire extinguisher, or stick to stove or electric cooker
Re: Gas Cooker Fire by JeSoul(f): 5:29pm On Nov 08, 2010
luap:

Not sure what a gas cooker is? Is it a gas operated four burner range? Is so, there might be a gas cut off valve somewehre? I'd figure out where the gas valve is, train everyone in the home where it is and how to turn it off. Good thing to know in case you ever get a gas leak in your home. Don't turn on the light when there is a gas leak cause you might blow up your home. Just turn off the main valve and open the windows.
Right on. The first thing to do is to cut off whatever is fueling the fire - in this case it is the gas supply. You should shut off the knob or valve. Then open the windows to ventilate the room and get rid of the gas. Water will certainly do you no good if its a gas-fueled fire.

I was about 14 or so when there was a fire in our kitchen and I instinctively shut off the gas supply instead of running for the extinguisher and the fire went out quickly thank God. If the fire has spread, then a wet blanket or towel will be a quick solution to stopping it. Also note that there are different types of fire extinguishers depending on the 'type' of fire - electrical, gas etc . . .

(1) (Reply)

Students Win $1M For Insect Farming Project / Left Over Onions Are Poisonous / How To Make Perfect Bacon In The Oven (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.