Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,438 members, 7,808,570 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

What Screen Resolution Should One Target? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / What Screen Resolution Should One Target? (2480 Views)

Which Is Better For A Budgeted Target Nikon D40, D60 Or Nikon 3000? / Resolution-free Vector Sprites Enable For Fast Making Images That Can Be Transfo / Resolution-independent Vector Sprites Enable For Fast Making Pictures Which Can (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by bolaoni(m): 3:08pm On Jan 18, 2006
Which Screen Resolution Works Best?

Hi guys,

Just want to know what resolution you set your design for. At times I use 760px for my designs and at times set the table to 100% which seems to spread all over the page.

Suggestions please.

Bola
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by Seun(m): 3:26pm On Jan 18, 2006
I think it's smart to target a monitor resolution of 800x600 if your design is complicated. Else you should just make it flow to fit the width of the screen. So your current strategy makes sense.

Tables are so 1997, use CSS!
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by bolaoni(m): 5:26pm On Jan 18, 2006
Thanks Seun for you reply.

Do you mean I should use CSS alone? I use table and CSS combined.

I will send you a PM once I finish sending this.

Bola
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by Seun(m): 5:34pm On Jan 18, 2006
If possible, use CSS for your overall layout. The problem is that a page layout based on tables will not be rendered until the last byte is downloaded. If you use CSS, then the parts of your page that are downloaded first will be displayed first. A CSS-based layout will also be easier to adapt for printing or viewing on mobile phones.

The Nairaland Forum Theme is built using a table-based layout, which is regretable.
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by dejiolowe: 9:17pm On Jan 18, 2006
for liquid designs, 100% of screen is the way to go but the problem is you can't predict the way things could turn out. so i will advise you stick to 800X600 which is fast becoming universal minimum. but if you are targeting mobile screens, i guess it is another kettle of fish entirely.

css is the way to go. there are so many resources on using css and divs for layouts. but that in itself has skuls of thots. some use absolute position which breaks down absolutes when something happens to your style sheet. the most difficult and most elegant is the usage of floats. once you master it, knocking up a website is damn easy. check out places like a list apart for tips. please note that a css layout (if you know what you are doing) if faster than table layouts coz it uses less codes. and it could be so dynamic by just switching style sheets you could change the total outlook of the web page.

can u imagine that my website runs on tables too. bah! cry but that is coz of the blogging software.
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by timmy(m): 11:12am On Jan 19, 2006
well, personally i use the 800x600 screen resolution, and sometimes the 100% table width.. but when ever im using the 800x640 yadayada, i set my page borders to 0 (topmargin=0, leftmargin=0, bottommargin=0 and rightmargin=0) and my table width will then be 777px, this makes your pages fit perfectly into your browser.. i also use alot of css thank God for them..

@deji_olowe[i] (eku ewu omo tuntun, ire a kari gbogbo waa oo!!) wink[/i]
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by skima(m): 12:52pm On Jan 19, 2006
Ill advice u use 800*600 cos using 100% table will disorganise ur page wen browsing with a bigger screen.

well css is good cos it downloads faster dan table. If it gets to an old browser some of ur useful design layout may be flawed.
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by bolaoni(m): 1:35pm On Jan 19, 2006
Thanks guys for this reply. Deji, thanks for the list apart site. I'm on it now.

1ce again, thanks so much.

Bola
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by brushparke(m): 8:18pm On Jan 21, 2006
i think it is cooler to use the standard resolution of 800/600.But it does not appear
moderate on all browsers.So i now prefer to make the page moderate and centrally placed
.say 800/500-550.I think this appears better and looks simple even if you are developing
a complex site.
However, guy, i think you'll do better with CSS.It more flexible.
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by dejiolowe: 10:23am On Jan 24, 2006
remove the table mentality out of the picture. the only way to go is CSS. if u dont know it, then learn it.
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by bolaoni(m): 12:41pm On Jan 24, 2006
dejiolowe:

remove the table mentality out of the picture. the only way to go is CSS. if u don't know it, then learn it.

That is an advise I have to yield to. I sure know how to combine table with CSS, but CSS alone, I haven;t tried that before.
Re: What Screen Resolution Should One Target? by dejiolowe: 12:12am On Jan 27, 2006
css with divs, spans, etc

(1) (Reply)

Philippians 4:6 3d Animated Bible Scripture, Check It Out And Be Blessed. / Ummm, Anybody Interested In Another Wallpaper? Check This Out! / Beautiful String Art Portraits By A Talented Nigerian - Omotoyosi Ogunlende

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.