Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta (11773 Views)

7-Year-Old Son Demands Iphone From His Father, And His Father Demands This. / Secondary School Girl Brings Her Entire Family To Beat Up Her Teacher / 11-year-old Boy Admitted To The University To Study Quantum Physics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Ndipe(m): 11:43pm On Oct 19, 2010
7 Year Old Nigerian Girl In Secondary School

At 7, this girl is in secondary school
From MOSHOOD ADEBAYO, Abeokuta
Wednesday, October 20, 2010

She is, without a doubt, a genius. At seven, when many of her peers are still in primary three, little Atiyatullahi Arike Lawal has already gained admission into the Junior Secondary School (JSS).

Many people agree that the brilliant girl has performed a rare feat.

When schools in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital resumed for the 2010/2011 academic session recently, Atiyatullahi was the cynosure of all eyes as she joined other students at the Ikija High School, Abeokuta, where she had been admitted for her junior secondary education.

The first of her parents’ three children, Atiyatullahi isn’t just an academic whiz kid; she’s also a devoted Muslim. By the time she turned five, she had actually completed the reading of the Holy Quoran. Right now, she’s studying Arabic literature books.

When Daily Sun ran into the brilliant girl, she was so confident of what she wants to be in life. “With God on my side and with prayers, which I believe in, I hope to make a career in law. I want to be a lawyer so that I can be of great help to my immediate community in particular as well as serve mankind in general,” she said.

The girl’s dad, Mr. Lawal, said Atiyatullahi began manifesting uncommon brilliance when she took interest in reciting many books offhand. At the time, he recalled, she was just four.

“We discovered her at four because she used to recite so many things offhand, including many of the things she learnt in school. Initially, we were worried about her academic development, but later we discovered that she could read and understand English very well.

“Ordinarily, it is difficult to believe that at her age, she is already in JSS I, but that is the reality. During her primary education, particularly when she was between classes 2 and 4, she had double promotion. At that time she was at the Baptist Day School. That was between 2008 and 2009. That was where she also completed her education.”

Atiyatullahi’s parents are both teachers, and she started her education at a very young age. According to her dad, she started kindergarten when she was just two. She attended Ayodele Akode Memorial Nursery/Primary School as well as Almubarak Nursery and Primary School.

And when she was asked what her favourite subjects were, the girl retorted innocently: “My favourite subjects? I like English Language and Mathematics, but I prefer English Language.”

The girl never attended an Islamic school, but on March 15, 2008, she celebrated her Wolimat Al Quoran (completion of reading of the Holy Quoran). Her father actually took her through the study of the Islamic holy book himself. He had mastered the holy book at 25.

“I introduced her to the reading of the holy book precisely on January 6, 2007, and miraculously, she completed the introductory reading within two days. We are surprised that about a week to her fifth birthday, on November 25, 2007, she completed the recitation. She then started another aspect, which is Jurisprudence.

Lawal’s extraordinary intellectual abilities and mastery of the Quoran as well as her admission into the JSS I at such a tender age is already causing ripples, with many wondering whether such is actually possible.

An educationist, Mr. Olayiwola Oyenekan, while reacting to Atiyatullahi’s feat, noted: “It is a rare achievement, but the great challenge is for her to sustain it. A genius like that has the tendency to rubbish her records if she is not well guided, especially by her parents.

“An adage in Yoruba says it is not the beginning that matters, but the ability to sustain the rare feat. Her parents must ensure that she does not derail along the way. I recommend that they monitor her studies and ensure that she gets to the Promise Land, I mean the university, between the ages of 13 and 14.’’

An Islamic cleric, Alhaji Mohammed Tajudeen who commented on the ingenuity of the girl advised that her parents should guide her in the ways of God.

“She should be guided and shown the way of God,” he said. “She must be taught the principles of God and they should allow her move closer to God. She needs fervent prayers to actualize her dreams in life,” he said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/20/national-20-10-2010-015.htm

1 Like

Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 19, 2010
Ndipe:

“With God on my side and with prayers, which I believe in, I hope to make a career in law. I want to be a lawyer so that I can be of great help to my immediate community in particular as well as serve mankind in general,”

If for real she made that speech, word by word, then she is really miles ahead her mates.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Dsense(m): 12:52am On Oct 20, 2010
Wow, I'm happy for her.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by ladygaga(f): 4:22am On Oct 20, 2010
whts the biggie had an eight yr old in my class back then, bunmi oloyede
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Nobody: 6:08am On Oct 20, 2010
Interesting! I pray jealous and envious people won't spoil her dream oh.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by sley4life(m): 5:09pm On Oct 25, 2010
lip sealed
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Odunnu: 8:12pm On Oct 25, 2010
Wow!
May God hear and grant her prayers, Amen.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by OboBoco(f): 1:20pm On Oct 26, 2010
wow, thats great
she just subtracted two years from mine in j.ss.1.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by kasmail(m): 1:29pm On Oct 26, 2010
may God be with her. Thats great ! Bad belle abeg leave her
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Donmeca(m): 1:44pm On Oct 26, 2010
“With God on my side and with prayers, which I believe in, I hope to make a career in law. I want to be a lawyer so that I can be of great help to my immediate community in particular as well as serve mankind in general,” she said.

I'm amazed! the girl is really brilliant but did she truly weave these complex sentences herself? In English or Yoruba? I fink Daily Sun has some answers to give here. . .Most of her peers would have said: "I want to be a lawyer." I'm not taking anything away from her anyway.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Olaolufred(m): 1:46pm On Oct 26, 2010
A great feat in Nigeria.

I think it corroborates what I heard on bbc yesterday of a the youngest professor ever.

A Korean who became Prof at 19.

Prof. joined University at 10.

Finished her Master at 14.

Doctorate at 17.

Prof at 19.

May be this Girl can beat the record.

It is a great feat.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by seun001(m): 1:48pm On Oct 26, 2010
michelin89:

If for real she made that speech, word by word, then she is really miles ahead her mates.

seconded.i believe a scholarship will be in order here.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 26, 2010
They are always nice until the boys started coming !
May God help this girl wella wella
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by seedord247(m): 2:00pm On Oct 26, 2010
stevetboy9:

Interesting! I pray jealous and envious people won't spoil her dream oh.

Amen oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Youngichou(m): 2:05pm On Oct 26, 2010
This not news at 7 i was also in JS1 infact entering JS2. I Graduated secondary school at 12 now i am 19 and will be thru studying Medcine this Year.
Fools some1 comes here to tell you rubbish and you belived it. Hisses
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by denony(m): 2:08pm On Oct 26, 2010
at 7 i was still eating eba and fufu at home
never know wat is school grin
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Engrdan(m): 2:10pm On Oct 26, 2010
wahoo genius.keep it up smiley
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by slap1(m): 2:16pm On Oct 26, 2010
Youngichou:

This not news at 7 i was also in JS1 infact entering JS2. I Graduated secondary school at 12 now i am 19 and will be thru studying Medcine this Year.
Fools some1 comes here to tell you rubbish and you belived it. Hisses
I don't know which part of the world you live in, but the rest of the world has moved on. Wake up!
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Ajike: 2:20pm On Oct 26, 2010
@Youngichou, Mr brilliant, sebi the names of the sch she attended was written there,her picture was even attached y dont u go and do you findings b4 u started spitting ur hatred. shioor!

Had it been is a negative things they write abut her now, you will be quick to beleive that, enemy of progress
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by kenkruse: 2:27pm On Oct 26, 2010
she should be guilded in academics, moral and domestic issues so that the saying that passing six is not passing sense wont apply here.

wish her good luck.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 26, 2010
Impressing, i must say!

May God keep her 2 fufil her destiny.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by jerryuzo(m): 2:29pm On Oct 26, 2010
wow .i really doubt this.this story is not factual 
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by babyme1(f): 2:30pm On Oct 26, 2010
Good.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by nanidee(f): 2:33pm On Oct 26, 2010
michelin89:

, i think so too.

Donmeca:

I'm amazed! the girl is really brilliant but did she truly weave these complex sentences herself? In English or Yoruba? I fink Daily Sun has some answers to give here. . .Most of her peers would have said: "I want to be a lawyer." I'm not taking anything away from her anyway.

ol, abi o. cheesy
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by miqos02(m): 2:36pm On Oct 26, 2010
i wish her the best of luck
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by fabj1(m): 2:41pm On Oct 26, 2010
mehn!!!!!!!!! am short of words. but it's possible.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Agbo2(m): 2:52pm On Oct 26, 2010
ladygaga:

whts the biggie had an eight yr old in my class back then, bunmi oloyede
Hi! who is this? I am Bunmi Oloyede
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by babaowo: 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2010
she was a gift
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by angelz(f): 2:56pm On Oct 26, 2010
Its good
we are surely goin to have our own prof. @ 18.
if truly she is the wiz that l jus read about,
then we should xpect the best for this country.
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by Exponental(m): 2:59pm On Oct 26, 2010
I dont really like d idea.
All is not about being a genius. Dont rush a child. Let her lead steady than follow Rushly. It has its psychological implications.

Best of Luck shaaa
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by COOLDK(m): 3:05pm On Oct 26, 2010
Absolutely genius! A year lesser than me. Finished Sec. Sch. @ 14
Re: 7 Year Old Girl Admitted To Secondary School In Abeokuta by oludashmi(f): 3:07pm On Oct 26, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
What kind of genius is this? Is she a real human being with all that is written up there. . . . .all the same, I wish her the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna Reinstates 1,288 Primary School Teachers –10 Months After Sack / Any Updates On The Ongoing ASUU Strike? What Is Happening? / Why Nigerians Don’t Trust JAMB By Niran Adedokun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.