Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

What Was The Forbidden Fruit? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Was The Forbidden Fruit? (7981 Views)

Opinion: Women Preaching In The Church Is Not Biblical And Its Forbidden. / What Was Actually The Forbidden Fruit In The Garden Of Eden?fruit Or Fornication / If Adam Didn't Eat The Forbidden Fruit.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olunifemi(f): 9:59pm On May 14, 2007
Was arguing with someone the other day about the fruit from the tree of knowledge Adam and Eve ate. Meanwhile how did we come to the conclusion that the fruit was an apple? I couldn't find apple in the bible. No way, my friend is saying that the fruit meant that Adam and Eve had sex. I was saying that both of them literally ate the fruit. Was i sounding stupid? Does the forbidden fruit really represent sex?
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by maxpecas(m): 10:19pm On May 14, 2007
I may have to agree with your friend that the Forbidden Fruit meant, SEX. Although it is not explicity mentioned but how else will you explain Adam and Eve realising that they were both naked after eating the Forbidden Fruit. It is like they had sex and after their Climax they felt guilty about it. Typical of unauthorized sex, ain't it! you feel guilty after enjoying it.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olunifemi(f): 10:52pm On May 14, 2007
hhmmm
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by maxpecas(m): 11:12pm On May 14, 2007
@olunifemi

does that mean you agree? you know that from the Bible, you always had to decipher the codes- never really straight forward. that's why pastors and preachers are making a killing at interpreting what the bible means or does not mean.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by teddyface(m): 12:10am On May 15, 2007
i do not agree with the post
maxpecas:

I may have to agree with your friend that the Forbidden Fruit meant, SEX. Although it is not explicity mentioned but how else will you explain Adam and Eve realising that they were both naked after eating the Forbidden Fruit. It is like they had sex and after their Climax they felt guilty about it. Typical of unauthorized sex, ain't it! you feel guilty after enjoying it.
if you read the bible well it was written that Adam was lonely that was why God created Eve. And if you read on ,  you will see that they spent time together and from my understanding they had had sex before they eat the fruit,  Devil told her that they will know the different between Good and bad. lipsrsealed
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by maxpecas(m): 12:58am On May 15, 2007
@teddyface

it's my interpretation so as is yours. who knows? the tree of knowledge from which they ate probably opened their eyes to what they were doing, hence their realisation that they were naked. why was their nudity the first thing they realized? and the other question is what if Eve hadnt eaten  the fruit, would they have been living in their state of ignorance?

Mind you it wasnt until they were evicted from the garden that "Adam knew his wife". so it was after tasting the forbidden fruit that sex was brought to the foreground not before eating the fruit. I still think the forbidden fruit is a coding for Sex
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by thesilent1(m): 8:34am On May 15, 2007
but if God asked them to mutiply in the first place and to be fruitful, how were they supposed to without sex??!?!?

with regards to when they first had sex, i am of the opinion that it had to be while in the garden and not after. the story of them "knowing" eachother after the fall was not to focus on the sex but the fact that as a result of it they had a child.

the apple thing is just a tradition like so many other sacred cows that we seemingly can't live without but are NOwhere in the bible! i love some of these like closing your eyes when praying, all the "bishop" robes we see these cats wear, you have to give a certain amount of money, being slain in the spirit, etc so many things that do not even have any origin in the bible. heck, we still think Noah took 2 of all the animals into the ark!!! LOL or there were only 3 wise men!!! or the thief that died on the cross with jesus went straight to heaven that day!!

anyway, we are all entitled to our opinions i guess.

peace!
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by Gwaine(m): 9:03am On May 15, 2007
The 'fruit' that Eve ate and gave to her husband Adam is not 'sex' (Gen. 3:6).  cool

1. She first ate of the fruit - "she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat"

2. then next she gave to Adam - "and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat."

The fruit was not an 'apple', in so far as the Bible does not state it so. Even then, it's not a platform to launch one's ignorance about other issues.

For those who are seeing 'sex' in Genesis 3:6 where it does not exist, there's just one word of advise for you --

Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by lafile(m): 9:32am On May 15, 2007
@ Maxpecas.
Interesting theory, though filled with flaws.
1. Sex does not grow on trees.
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Gen 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

God went to such great lenght to clearly state that the forbidden fruit was on a tree. there is even a geographic description.

maxpecas:

It is like they had sex and after their Climax they felt guilty about it. Typical of unauthorized sex, ain't it! you feel guilty after enjoying it.
unauthorized sex between husband and wife?

maxpecas:

how else will you explain Adam and Eve realising that they were both naked after eating the Forbidden Fruit. It is like they had sex
maxpecas:

hence their realisation that they were naked. why was their nudity the first thing they realized?

What gave you the idea that this was the first time they knew they were naked?
Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

They were not blind.The only difference is that by eating the fruit they now had the knowledge of Good and evil, therefore unable to depend on God for discernment.

4. Reading Genesis 3 carefully, you'll notice they ate the fruit separately. You do not have sex separately. Notice also that the attributes of the tree (and by extension its fruit) do not allude to sex.
3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by maxpecas(m): 10:02am On May 15, 2007
grin i stand corrected. that's the whole purpose of this forum, aint it?

so back to the original question; what was the fruit they ate. However, you cannot say the name of the fruit was knowledge. What was the name of the fruit then, that made then realise that they were naked?

And what was God's purpose for not wanting them to eat of that fruit?
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by thesilent1(m): 10:43am On May 15, 2007
how do you assess someone's obedience if the opprotunity to disobey is not there?!?!?!

i am not aware of anywhere that states what the fruit actually was but i think the error here is focusing on the fruit itself instead of the act of disobedience. i guess it could have been "do not drink from that river", "do not walk by that path" etc but the lesson is still the same.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:14pm On May 16, 2007
@ maxpecas

so back to the original question; what was the fruit they ate. However, you cannot say the name of the fruit was knowledge. What was the name of the fruit then, that made then realise that they were naked?

That fruit was like any other fruit. The only difference about it was that it was used by God as a means of testing Adam's as well as Eve's loyalty. The fruit within itself had no power as such, but was a means to an end. In other words the act of disobeying God would have resulted in their knowing about evil as well, but not in the way God knew it. At the time before the fall only God had a perfect knowledge of both good and evil. Why else would He desire to keep us from evil if He didn't know about it's consequence? God didn't practise evil of course, but He knew about it, seeing He is omni-scient, and what it would lead to if humans or any of His intelligent creatures yielded to it.

And what was God's purpose for not wanting them to eat of that fruit?

I am glad you raised that question. That fruit stood as a test to see if they would obey God out of love and respect for Him. It brings into question the matter of trust. Lucifer the rebel angel had brought up this question of trusting God in heaven, and now on earth after he was expelled from heaven he was introducing the very same issue among Adam and Eve. This is what he said to the woman:

Genesis 3:4 “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

In other words God was not being fair. He was holding back their potential to be wiser, and greater. The very same argument he had put to the angels, a third of them, who sided and rebelled with him.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olutomiwa(m): 7:36pm On May 16, 2007
ol girl no put me for trouble o,that one na no go area,but come why you dey ask?abi you too wan chop the FORBIDDEN FRUIT?i fit act as adam why you go be Eve and TRANSCORPS HILTON HOTEL ABUJA go be our garden of Eden,ki na jiko.i mean you hear me?
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olunifemi(f): 12:54pm On May 17, 2007
olutomiwa:

ol girl no put me for trouble o,that one na no go area,but come why you dey ask?abi you too wan chop the FORBIDDEN FRUIT?i fit act as adam why you go be Eve and TRANSCORPS HILTON HOTEL ABUJA go be our garden of Eden,ki na jiko.i mean you hear me?
may god 4gv u ooo
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olunifemi(f): 12:57pm On May 17, 2007
lafile:

@ Maxpecas.
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Gen 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

God went to such great lenght to clearly state that the forbidden fruit was on a tree. there is even a geographic description.

2.unauthorized sex between husband and wife?

What gave you the idea that this was the first time they knew they were naked?
Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

They were not blind.The only difference is that by eating the fruit they now had the knowledge of Good and evil, therefore unable to depend on God for discernment.

4. Reading Genesis 3 carefully, you'll notice they ate the fruit separately. You do not have sex separately. Notice also that the attributes of the tree (and by extension its fruit) do not allude to sex.
3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olunifemi(f): 1:00pm On May 17, 2007
Bobbyaf:

@ maxpecas

That fruit was like any other fruit. The only difference about it was that it was used by God as a means of testing Adam's as well as Eve's loyalty. The fruit within itself had no power as such, but was a means to an end. In other words the act of disobeying God would have resulted in their knowing about evil as well, but not in the way God knew it. At the time before the fall only God had a perfect knowledge of both good and evil. Why else would He desire to keep us from evil if He didn't know about it's consequence? God didn't practise evil of course, but He knew about it, seeing He is omni-scient, and what it would lead to if humans or any of His intelligent creatures yielded to it.

I am glad you raised that question. That fruit stood as a test to see if they would obey God out of love and respect for Him. It brings into question the matter of trust. Lucifer the rebel angel had brought up this question of trusting God in heaven, and now on earth after he was expelled from heaven he was introducing the very same issue among Adam and Eve. This is what he said to the woman:

Genesis 3:4 “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

In other words God was not being fair. He was holding back their potential to be wiser, and greater. The very same argument he had put to the angels, a third of them, who sided and rebelled with him.
really?
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by Bobbyaf(m): 2:33pm On May 17, 2007
Yes really! grin
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olutomiwa(m): 8:48pm On May 17, 2007
olunifemi:

may god 4gv u ooo
Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen,but you stil av not ansad my question.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olunifemi(f): 2:29pm On May 18, 2007
im in grin
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by olutomiwa(m): 8:35pm On May 19, 2007
olunifemi:

im in grin
Ok,em,em,em,em, just a minute i dey come.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by ibrahim007: 4:34pm On May 23, 2007
sense really matters in every talk.If not you r equivalent to a mad person.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by TellyB(m): 4:36pm On May 23, 2007
Wetin happen, ibrahim007??
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by BraveGuy: 1:26pm On May 25, 2013
I was researching the Net last night and saw this post and the arguments. Quite interesting and I think I like all the points raised, however, I still can't get it that fruit means sex. I read a comprehensive argument from a website: Forbidden Fruit (Forbidden Fruit), the guy, Brother John (Brother John), argued brilliantly that the fruit was knowledge and that is what the Bible says. IMO, why would God be lying to us about what happened? If it was sex, why did he say they should be fruitful, multiply and increase? How would they have been able to reproduce without sex?

@maxpecas, I like your arguments, but God was not being unfair to them. God has never been unfair to humanity. God has put humanity at the very top of his creation, but as you know Satan lost his position and is always trying to accuse God; So, God permitted a fair match. If only Adam had stuck by God's command, I am sure we would be telling a different story now. That was what we see in the second Adam (Jesus Christ), he stuck by what God said; he did not accept the offer of Satan like Eve & Adam did.

Some arguments are sensible and others are totally illogical. I should think that many other parts of the Bible completely explain what happened in that Garden episode, for that, I agree with what the website, Brother John has put forward and his argument answers a lot of things.

Baba God no dey 4 partiality, de wa u lay your bed no be so you lie on top? Forbidden fruit no bi sex, na knowledge - devil knowledge, witchcraft knowledge, knowledge wey make mankind disobey God.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 25, 2013
some say...and i kid you not...that it was the v@gina. lipsrsealed
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 25, 2013
lafile: @ Maxpecas.

tree of life tho. grin undecided
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by BraveGuy: 2:18pm On May 25, 2013
*Kails*:

tree of life tho. grin undecided

smiley

@*Kails* God did not allow them (Adam & Eve) to gain access to the Tree of Life. So, sex becoming the tree of life is also a flawed argument.

.... How can it be v@gina? .... If God did not create v@gina, how would he expect them to reproduce? Even animals wey no sin get v@gina. No, my friend, no be v@gina.

1 Like

Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by okeyxyz(m): 2:27pm On May 25, 2013
The Forbidden fruit was not sex(though it is related to sex), nor was it knowledge/science

It was the Law of Moses. This was the law/mindset that began to call some of God's creation good and some evil, therefore requiring us to abstain from them. Whereas God himself has declared all that he created as Good. This is why the laws given to Moses was full of do's and don'ts(good and evil) and thou shalt not's... This Law became human nature from Adam choosing it over the other commandment which says: "Of every tree in the garden you may freely eat...", in other words; God has declared everything good and to be used for our purposes.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by BraveGuy: 2:42pm On May 25, 2013
okeyxyz: The Forbidden fruit was not sex(though it is related to sex), nor was it knowledge/science

It was the Law of Moses. This was the law/mindset that began to call some of God's creation good and some evil, therefore requiring us to abstain from them. Whereas God himself has declared all that he created as Good. This is why the laws given to Moses was full of do's and don'ts(good and evil) and thou shalt not's... This Law became human nature from Adam choosing it over the other commandment which says: "Of every tree in the garden you may freely eat...", in other words; God has declared everything good and to be used for our purposes.

Interesting argument, how did the TREE of KNOWLEDGE become the LAW of MOSES? Na wa oh! Up Naijiria!
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by KiKatanga: 3:07pm On May 25, 2013
Whatever it was, why are we all being punished for one woman's actions?
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by BraveGuy: 3:23pm On May 25, 2013
Somehow, I am enjoying this topic, maybe because I have read so much about different arguments on it smiley

Bro, do you know how many people that have suffered (or got punished) as a result of your choices? Good or bad? Or should I ask, do you know how many people that have BENEFITED as a result of your choices? Good or bad?

Eve & Adam put us into a big mess with a terrible future, but Jesus took us out and put us into a big message with a promising future. I think what has happened has happened, we should look more to the future not reside in the past. However, it's good to know where we are coming from so that we can make an informed decision as to where we will end up.

Ki-Katanga:
Whatever it was, why are we all being punished for one woman's actions?
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 25, 2013
BraveGuy:

smiley

@*Kails* God did not allow them (Adam & Eve) to gain access to the Tree of Life. So, sex becoming the tree of life is also a flawed argument.

.... How can it be v@gina? .... If God did not create v@gina, how would he expect them to reproduce? Even animals wey no sin get v@gina. No, my friend, no be v@gina.

i know dear.
ws just trolling. smiley smiley smiley

i stated earlier this week that i believe the story of adam and eve to be a metaphorical representation of human conscience and obedience.
Re: What Was The Forbidden Fruit? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:57pm On May 25, 2013
It pure fairy tale.

• THE STORY OF ADAM & EVE IS A MYTH SAYS CATHOLIC CARDINAL GEORGE PELL: http://consciouslifenews.com/catholic-cardinal-adam-eve-didnt-exist/1127457/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

An Ex- Muslim Nairalander Talks About Why She Now Calls Jesus Lord, And Master / The Trinity (true Or False). The Love Perspective. / THE THIRD EYE: The Unknown Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.