Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport (8960 Views)

Anambra Approves N10.6bn For Road Projects. / Nddc Budgets N1.3bn For Fumigation / Kwankwaso Demanded N1.3bn For Own House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 1:52am On Oct 21, 2010
[size=18pt]FG approves N10.3bn for Enugu airport[/size]

Written by Leon Usigbe, Abuja Thursday, 21 October 2010

THE Federal Government has approved the sum of N10.3 billion for the upgrade of Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, which is now expected to begin day operations from December this year.

The approval followed the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan, at the State House, Abuja, on Wednesday.

According to the Minister of Information and Communications, Professor Dora Akunyili, who briefed State House correspondents at the end of the meeting, the council also approved contracts for  the renovation and replacement of Air Traffic Control (ATC) consoles and Very High Frequency (VHF) radios in 13 ATC Towers for the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), and the award of contract for direct procurement of seven Airport Fire Crash Tenders for the airports.

She said the council approved the revised sum of N10,33,078 for the upgrade of the airport for the augmentation of project cost, including completion of the upgrading (extension and resurfacing) of the runway including CAT II AFL.

Akunyili, who was at the press briefing with  the Minister of Aviation, Fidelia Njezeh, and the Minister of Women Affairs, Josephine Anenih, said the initial cost of the contract was reduced due to inadequate budgetary provision.

She said the contractor (Messrs PW Nigeria Ltd) had accepted to execute the project at the revised sum.

She recalled that the sum of N2.53 billion was appropriated in 2010 for the project and the sum of N2.794 billion has so far been paid on the project with the balance of N5.10 billion to be provided in the subsequent appropriations in 2011/2012.

According to her, “council ratified President Jonathan’s earlier approval for the upgrade of Enugu airport to international standard.

“Council also approved the award of contract for the renovation and replacement of Air Traffic Control (ATC) consoles and Very High Frequency (VHF) radios in 13 ATC Towers for the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), in favour of Messrs Banna Worldwide Solution, at the sum of N1,372,571,381.19, with a completion of period of 12 months.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/12423-fg-approves-n103bn-for-enugu-airport
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by mensdept: 1:59am On Oct 21, 2010
So what does all this mean? It sounds like traveling in circles
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 2:14am On Oct 21, 2010
mens dept:

So what does all this mean? It sounds like traveling in circles

Date of operation has now been set for December this year. There are a lot of changes going on since GEJ has entered office despite his blunders. There will be less crowding of the Lagos airport and also that revenue revenue of the airport will now be heading to Enugu. The state will be more self-sufficient. Also, Bayelsa is the first state on the road of true federalism;other state are now agitating for what bayelsa has been granted. This is big change indeed.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by mensdept: 2:24am On Oct 21, 2010
chyz:

Date of operation has now been set for December this year. There are a lot of changes going on since GEJ has entered office despite his blunders. There will be less crowding of the Lagos airport and also that revenue revenue of the airport will now be heading to Enugu. The state will be more self-sufficient. Also, Bayelsa is the first state on the road of true federalism;other state are now agitating for what bayelsa has been granted. This is big change indeed.

My dear let me first commend you for this gist.

However except for the opening in December, havnt we heard and reheard this Airport news over and over with no REAL end result? All they could tell us was in December there will be flights or is it "Operation".
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by babapupa: 2:28am On Oct 21, 2010
Brain Box indeed,
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 2:42am On Oct 21, 2010
mens dept:

My dear let me first commend you for this gist.

However except for the opening in December, havnt we heard and reheard this Airport news over and over with no REAL end result? All they could tell us was in December there will be flights or is it "Operation". 

True;however, the important thing is that a starting point was established.Now we all know that nigeria is never punctual so the actual affair may take place in december. Works has already began long before now. Enugwu is a place known for executing its projects so i'm sure its governor will be a pushing hand to make sure it is indeed carried out.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by adconline(m): 2:48am On Oct 21, 2010
babapupa or babasuwe, cant you use your brain for some other things instead of antagonizing anything that doesnt have your God's name -Fashola on it. You still wallow in ignorance and geographically bereft. Enugu is not Anambra , maybe Lagos would be called envy box when GEJ visits since it has way too many fools like you in it. CSI= Cant Stand Idiots
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by Freewilly(f): 2:58am On Oct 21, 2010
Does this mean that next year I can just fly from NYC direct to Enugu without going through that filthy Lagos shocked

Those huge mosquitoes in Lagos have sucked enough of my blood. Enugu here I come grin

adconline:

babapupa or babasuwe, cant you use your brain for some other things instead of antagonizing anything that doesnt have your God's name -Fashola on it. You still wallow in ignorance and geographically bereft. Enugu is not Anambra , maybe Lagos would be called envy box when GEJ visits since it has way too many fools like you in it. CSI= Cant Stand Idiots

Can't you see that it's jealousy that is worrying them ?
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by babapupa: 3:15am On Oct 21, 2010
adconline:

babapupa or babasuwe, cant you use your brain for some other things instead of antagonizing anything that doesnt have your God's name -Fashola on it. You still wallow in ignorance and geographically bereft. Enugu is not Anambra , maybe Lagos would be called envy box  when GEJ  visits since it has way  too many fools like you in it.  CSI= Cant Stand Idiots

Ode, Keep quiet, no be out of Anambra den dice Enugu out of or abi una no be the same people?

Abeg learn you history and geography for your own good.

And don't worry about Lagos State, we don't need Olodo like GEJ to stroke our ego and tell us what we already know. We are not insecure, we lead and the rest of the country waka behind us, That kind of talk is for shallow minds.

Wetin you get wey I won envy? Shey na kidnapping ni? abi na 419? or do you see Lagosians rushing to settle in some village back eatst? Are you mad ni?

Den condescend and sweet your bele for votes say you be brain box, but common Airport u no get for 2010. Y'all get mouth sha, I got to give y'all that.

Y'all be killing me I swear
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 3:18am On Oct 21, 2010
babapupa:

Ode, Keep quiet, no be out of Anambra den dice Enugu out of or abi una no be the same people?

Abeg learn you history and geography for your own good.

And don't worry about Lagos State, we don't need Olodo like GEJ to stroke our ego and tell us what we already know. We are not insecure, we lead and the rest of the country waka behind us, That kind of talk is for shallow minds.

Wetin you get wey I won envy? Shey na kidnapping ni? abi na 419? or do you see Lagosians rushing to settle in some village back eatst? Are you mad ni?

Den condescend and sweet your bele for votes say you be brain box, but common Airport u no get for 2010. Y'all get mouth sha, I got to give y'all that.

Y'all be killing me I swear

Well said. Now commot.bye bye grin
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by mensdept: 3:21am On Oct 21, 2010
@ babapupa

Make we hear word. Back to topic. SOOOOO,  I assume December we shall see the REAL DEAL? Thats the time many of us travel back home
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 3:26am On Oct 21, 2010
mens dept:

@ babapupa

Make we hear word. Back to topic. SOOOOO,  I assume December we shall see the REAL DEAL? Thats the time many of us travel back home

I'm doubt flight tickets from places like the US or Canada will be available for December time though, but who knows.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by EzeUche0(m): 3:35am On Oct 21, 2010
:d
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by Onlytruth(m): 3:36am On Oct 21, 2010
chyz:

I'm doubt flight tickets from places like the US or Canada will be available for December time though, but who knows.

That airport will be THE INTERNATIONAL AIR GATEWAY to Eastern Nigeria when it becomes fully operational. If Sullivan Chime is what I hear he is, it could become the main international airport later.
Jealous people are already dying.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by Freewilly(f): 3:42am On Oct 21, 2010
Is coal is mined in Enugu does anyone know? with an international Airport in Enugu maybe some international companies will start moving in.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 4:10am On Oct 21, 2010
Freewilly:

Is coal is mined in Enugu does anyone know? with an international Airport in Enugu maybe some international companies will start moving in.

The answer to you question is Yes. wink
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 4:16am On Oct 21, 2010
Onlytruth:

That airport will be THE INTERNATIONAL AIR GATEWAY to Eastern Nigeria when it becomes fully operational. If Sullivan Chime is what I hear he is, it could become the main international airport later.
Jealous people are already dying.

True that. P.H. Int'l airport is really congested. The new Enugwu airport would definitely be a blessing for both Rivers and Enugwu states. Labor will also be less strenuous on PH airport workers.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by LouisThoru(f): 8:58am On Oct 21, 2010
Why arent people saying this money is not necessary as it is mis placed priority and people will eat it all up?
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chiozor: 9:29am On Oct 21, 2010
i pray Yahoo-yahoo boys donot start air ticket racketing new this important assets to SE Nigeria lipsrsealed
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by hercules07: 9:42am On Oct 21, 2010
@chyz

What makes PH airport congested? I believe the Enugu Airport should be upgraded sha as it nothing more than a cow shed now, a case should be made for the Owerri airport too as it is needs more upgrades than the Enugu one, but beyond the upgrade, there is a need to make industries spring up along that axis, the coal mines should be brought to life.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by LouisThoru(f): 9:57am On Oct 21, 2010
This country has mis placed priorities. Why will a whole sum of 10.3bn Naira be spent on one airport while millions are dieing of hunger daily? How many poor people will benefit from this airport? Is it not common sense that the money could have been used in buying loads of luxurious buses for the people to travel in rather than spend it on one single airport?

In fact, this country is going to close down soon as we dont need airports in the east or anywhere, we need food on the table of many people, and we need employment.

Eastern people like to eat money, just watch how the airport will dis appear when they would have sold it bit by bit, first the gate, then the tarmac, the control tower and then 10.3bn Naira will all go in smoke just like that.

We dont need helicopters, we dont need airports, we dont need presidential fleet, we dont need roads, we dont need anything but food.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by otokx(m): 10:02am On Oct 21, 2010
This is just an attempt at gaining political points.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by Dandas: 10:40am On Oct 21, 2010
Igbo Kwenu!!,Kwezuo nu!!!. Jonathan Ekenedili gi.Obu gi ga achi anyi na afor(2011) na abia.Our votes goes to who?: IBB----Noooooooo,never.Atiku?----for where,absolute nonsense.Guasu?---Can never happen.Bukola---for what?,who is he?,then who else na?.He is Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan.Up youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by excanny: 11:51am On Oct 21, 2010
Freewilly:

In addition, Enugu needs a state of the art railway system for its coal industry to boom. The existing network should be expanded in such a way that it links the paper, iron and cement manufacturing industries located around the country and a new port different from Port Harcourt should be built for it's export.

Enugu stands alone as the only significant source of coal in the whole of West Africa. It's a shame that the Nigerian government is not taking advantage of this untapped wealth by exporting to industrialized countries countries where there's high demand for this product, but instead is concentrating only on crude oil.

Is it because it is located in a 'vanquished territory'?
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by hercules07: 12:06pm On Oct 21, 2010
@excanny

It is not because it is in a vanquished territory, it is because oil is already being tapped and our leaders are lazy do nothings who can not see 10 seconds into the future. It is even good for the east that it is not being mined yet, let your peeps in the house fight for good derivation formula before anything is mined in your area, else, your money will be spent in Abuja
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by jason12345: 1:20pm On Oct 21, 2010
smiley this is good news. Now let the east and west progress together!!! smiley smiley smiley grin grin grin
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by jason12345: 1:22pm On Oct 21, 2010
it only remains the north, but i know they will catch up!!! but not with ciroma and co.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by Afam4eva(m): 1:31pm On Oct 21, 2010
Another thing that should be looked into is dredging of the river niger. This will make many Igbo business that ship their goods to lagos to relocate it to the east.
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by jason12345: 3:04pm On Oct 21, 2010
afam4eva:

Another thing that should be looked into is dredging of the river niger. This will make many Igbo business that ship their goods to lagos to relocate it to the east.
why? ain't we in the same country
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by OmoTier1(m): 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2010
afam4eva:

FYI  the FG is currently sinking a whooping 64billion Naira in Phase 1 & 2 dredging of the river Niger. However, there was a report on NTA just two days ago where it is feared that the government may suffer similar fate as with the dredging of the costal waters of cross rivers with little of no patronage coming forth from vessel owners in the country despite the completion of a long stretch of the river niger dredging!

I am not frm the south east but one thing I know, south east have people who are rich enough to turn that zone into a wonderland, instead they are all running to lagos/Abuja!
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by jason12345: 7:09pm On Oct 21, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

FYI  the FG is currently sinking a whooping 64billion Naira in Phase 1 & 2 dredging of the river Niger. However, there was a report on NTA just two days ago where it is feared that the government may suffer similar fate as with the dredging of the costal waters of cross rivers with little of no patronage coming forth from vessel owners in the country despite the completion of a long stretch of the river niger dredging!

I am not frm the south east but one thing I know, south east have people who are rich enough to turn that zone into a wonderland, instead they are all running to lagos/Abuja!
hope their plans comes through.AMEN.
ALL THE BEST! cheesy
Re: Fg Approves N10.3bn For Enugu Airport by chyz(m): 7:15pm On Oct 21, 2010
hercules07:

@chyz

What makes PH airport congested? I believe the Enugu Airport should be upgraded sha as it nothing more than a cow shed now, a case should be made for the Owerri airport too as it is needs more upgrades than the Enugu one, but beyond the upgrade, there is a need to make industries spring up along that axis, the coal mines should be brought to life.

I guess you haven't been to the PH airport lately. Operations management is at a low rate. Airport too small for the amount of people that come in. After one flight comes in people are all over the place waiting for their luggage to unload and alot of other things.Also a couple minutes later another flight tends to come in which adds on to the unsettle people and those who just get off the plain cannot even enter the airport,instead wait outside for a long time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hausas And Nupes Occupied Onitsha Before The Igbo / Hunters Burn Down School In Saki, Oyo State / Give This Boy An Escape Plan!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.