Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:36 AM

What Does Mysql Database Means? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Does Mysql Database Means? (6496 Views)

How To Upload An Image Into Mysql Database / Import Excel Sheet To Mysql Database / How To Upload Mysql Database To Server (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 10:41pm On Oct 21, 2010
I want answer to the above question please.

I am planning to start a forum and
someone gave me a quote stating
MySQL Database cost N180k so I
want to know what it means and another
web master says he will do the work for
me at 40k,

Same thing so let me just know what
it means. I want my forum to function
like Nairaland but with more security!

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
shocked shocked shocked No Comment 180k
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by LouisThoru(f): 10:56pm On Oct 21, 2010
no be shalom you for dey say, na MUGUN.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Poster. MySql is a Database, a database like the name implies is where datas are saved in. Images, users account, and datas can be saved in the database which will be used for sites and applications.

It is worthwhile to note that Mysql is open source(Free of charge).

As for the billing. I would have billed more than that to develop such a site, though i honestly haven't developed a site like Nairaland.

In my opiniion, it depends on the method the 180 thousand guy intends to imploy. He may not be using SMF which i feel the 40k dude will use.

What you should do is check past works of this two developers and see how credible they are. The 40,000 Naira guy may have never developed any site. And vice Versa.

In this web business, prices differ greatly. I have been contacted to develop site, and when i billed 800,000 Naira, the client shouted that he can get it done cheaper. That was over 8 Months ago. Till date, he has not developed that site, at least not to the standard i proffered. Its in a horrible state!
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Donpuzo sorry my messenger is acting up i have uploaded the site now,am now looking for tutorials that will make sense to write there but am writing on articles on IT no longer introduction to web design since u have a school for that already i can reference your school on the blog anyway how's work the Site is http://forgetdbigwords.com though, The Propagation is not complete moving away from web to foucs on my C# class,
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 11:19pm On Oct 21, 2010
LouisThoru:

no be shalom you for dey say, na MUGUN.

Tnx for that! I sent you a mail b4 asking
this question and with other comments
i think you are right with the charge but
you just loose a customer!

Learn how to close your dirty stinking moth!
Asshole

Donpuzo:

@Poster. MySql is a Database, a database like the name implies is where datas are saved in. Images, users account, and datas can be saved in the database which will be used for sites and applications.

It is worthwhile to note that Mysql is open source(Free of charge).

As for the billing. I would have billed more than that to develop such a site, though i honestly haven't developed a site like Nairaland.

In my opiniion, it depends on the method the 180 thousand guy intends to imploy. He may not be using SMF which i feel the 40k dude will use.

What you should do is check past works of this two developers and see how credible they are. The 40,000 Naira guy may have never developed any site. And vice Versa.

In this web business, prices differ greatly. I have been contacted to develop site, and when i billed 800,000 Naira, the client shouted that he can get it done cheaper. That was over 8 Months ago. Till date, he has not developed that site, at least not to the standard i proffered. Its in a horrible state!

Thanks bro

I am sure asking a question is not
a crime!

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 21, 2010
@suxe donpuzo is right to charge a bill for 180k to Mysql is questionable but i want to believe that quota was meant to be The Site with Mysql database various price vary some quack developers will tell u 5k and design rubbish for u while those with quality will give you a standard quota that fits the requirement for your job but for forums, Forums require Higher bandwidth than regular sites and are dynamic hence the price is much more than static web pages so i advise to explore more developers and look at previous works and most importantly also look at how fast they communicate with you that is very essential some developers will just disappear and become incommunicado for some time, i hope that helps
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 21, 2010
Not at all. It's good to know what you are paying for.

If Louis is the developer, that charged 180k, i must confess she lacks professional ethics!
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
@PC. Just checked it. Abeg i go love real time online tutorial. My school is very expensive. Only Big men pickin dey come. I started out and learned the hard way, so i will like a balance where poor man pickin wey get dream of learning can get help from an experienced developer like you.

You may make reference to my school! I will appreciate that  wink

But please put say babes get discount in price. But males no pricing, i no dey sell fish!

You just mentioned something i love. It's terrible workig with a developer that lacks communication. We that stay online for at least 12 hours, are not f.o.o.ls na. It's great knowing you have support. Even my students will testify that i even assist them solve issues when they mess up codes while trying to update their site, after graduating for months.

It's cause i no be chop money and run away guy!
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 21, 2010
Real Time Online tutorial, no this is just for Articles and write ups on Web development and trends tutorials will be just on stuffs like Designs Patterns, Libraries,Framework not Learning HTML/PHP in a minute that's why i need to reference people to schools you can mail me details of your school so i will write an article on that, i would like to visit your school one of these days and pls introduce me to fine babe student if not i go dey diss u for here grin
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Pc Guru. You are great! I read that A Guide to web development. And wished i read that before entering the game. Would have changed a lot! And made me a better developer.

I should be the Guest Speaker in a Seminar on web development, on Saturday. And reading that has given me inspiration on what to talk about and things.

Keep it up!
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Donpuzo Awesome thanks a lot you don't know how that makes me feel cuz at a point i was thinking maybe nobody will read it and its a waste of time thanks a lot now i feel encouraged,
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
You are welcome. Keep it up ohh. Don't be discouraged at all.

Ever since i learned Java and PHP the former from an organisaton like mine and the later myself, with help from Dual Core and beginner class from Segun Mustapha.

I loved teaching and also coding. That i see codes as my meal. So i started training peeps. My school is not an organized setting. I train them who have their Laptops, just in a room in my 3 bedroom house. I give accommodation to students who come from other states, in a hostel around. And we get to eat in E-Center every sunday under my pay!

I just love helping. But it comes with the price. The price is not for my teaching. But for my time, cause i am dead busy learning or developing something!

Planning on a grand class next year or this december, with the owner of one of the top three largest sites. If that clicks, i will close my school down, and make the Grand Class a once in a year thing! Cause i am loosing hold of time.

How is your C class going. Imagine Karoks Marketer dey give me hand bill to come learn from them school. I was nearly laughing. Me too bring out Complementary card tell am make he call me for PHP class in my parlor. I was quick to tell him the price. The guy tear race. grin grin grin
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 12:18am On Oct 22, 2010
Donpuzo:

You are welcome. Keep it up ohh. Don't be discouraged at all.

Ever since i learned Java and PHP the former from an organisaton like mine and the later myself, with help from Dual Core and beginner class from Segun Mustapha.

I loved teaching and also coding. That i see codes as my meal. So i started training peeps. My school is not an organized setting. I train them who have their Laptops, just in a room in my 3 bedroom house. I give accommodation to students who come from other states, in a hostel around. And we get to eat in E-Center every sunday under my pay!

I just love helping. But it comes with the price. The price is not for my teaching. But for my time, cause i am dead busy learning or developing something!

Planning on a grand class next year or this december, with the owner of one of the top three largest sites. If that clicks, i will close my school down, and make the Grand Class a once in a year thing! Cause i am loosing hold of time.

How is your C class going. Imagine Karoks Marketer dey give me hand bill to come learn from them school. I was nearly laughing. Me too bring out Complementary card tell am make he call me for PHP class in my parlor. I was quick to tell him the price. The guy tear race. grin grin grin

Shey na leg u dey take waka ni? where
em c u dey give u dat kind thiin? lol

Donpuzo:

Not at all. It's good to know what you are paying for.

If Louis is the developer, that charged 180k, i must confess she lacks professional ethics!

She lacks ordinary ethics let alone
profesional ethics! Na she

@Don: hw much is ur class?
maybe make i learn instead ofspendin
much abi wat u fink?

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 12:25am On Oct 22, 2010
See this Bros dey take style yab me. Them get office opposite Zain Office for Adeniran Ogunsanya. Went there to recover my Sim Card. Na so the Bros catch me on leg ohhh grin grin Those who ply that road, know it has been on construction since. So i no dey drive near that zone. Or even anywhere where hold up go hook me. Cause i dey too busy to dey wait one spot. I be mobile dude.

Class is currently off section. Not been admitting students since this month started.

Na woman Loius be na.

Ofe fi owo e ra makeup ati gbo gbo kini awon obiren lo. dabaru ori orkunri!
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 12:42am On Oct 22, 2010
Donpuzo:

See this Bros dey take style yab me. Them get office opposite Zain Office for Adeniran Ogunsanya. Went there to recover my Sim Card. Na so the Bros catch me on leg ohhh grin grin Those who ply that road, know it has been on construction since. So i no dey drive near that zone. Or even anywhere where hold up go hook me. Cause i dey too busy to dey wait one spot. I be mobile dude.

Class is currently off section. Not been admitting students since this month started.

Na woman Loius be na.

Ofe fi owo e ra makeup ati gbo gbo kini awon obiren lo. dabaru ori orkunri!

ko le ri owo mi mehn. i don run

kk just kiddin bro

SHALOM
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Seun(m): 1:40am On Oct 23, 2010
MySQL database is free. Most forum scripts are free.

The only things that are not free: getting a unique theme for your forum and hosting
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by becomrich13: 3:20am On Oct 23, 2010
I can buy nairaland database and domain name for N180k . if he want to sell it. Igbo government are the one funding nairaland. I assume

But to be honest with you. It takes million of naira to run a website.

It goes beyoud just settingup a website.  You have to hire people to sit down 24 hours and moderate it.   You need at least 9 people. And another 10th person for technical support.  At least you need 10 people.  And you have to pay them monthly.

you need to pay for facilities too. You need a supercomputer. They are very expensive.

If you are federal or state government. I would charge you millions because I know what output the govt would be looking for.

I use to work for a website company a long time ago. And they had 1800 staff. So you can see what it takes.

It is more than just a website. There is technology involve. You need people with skill, young men who can write code.

That is google office

Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by seyibrown(f): 4:17am On Oct 23, 2010
You can get an SMF forum for free and install with very little knowledge. There are also web hosting packages available from £1.99 a month with auto-installer (fantastico/softaculous)for various scripts and your database is part of the package. Best to go with an expert if you have no idea what it's all about, sha!
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by becomrich13: 5:19am On Oct 23, 2010
google.com

He want it for business. Nobody would notice your website if you do that.
see google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5tXNcg8HN0
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 23, 2010
Seun:

The only things that are not free: getting a unique theme for your forum and hosting

I partially agree. While hosting is definitely not free, getting a unique theme for your forum can actually be free if, of course, you are good with PHP, CSS, Javascript and HTML. The primary disadvantage is that it is time consuming, and not really advisable if you are have not invested hundreds of hours mastering the aforementioned tools.

Seun, I have read lots of your posts and you are, no doubt, a very intelligent and perceptive individual, so it really amazed me that you used SMF to build this site instead of hand-coding the site; had you done that, I believe that NL would have had a unique look and feel, instead of the ubiquitous SMF's look and feel. Or maybe you thought that most people would find it easy to navigate since lots of forums look like this?
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by lactemps(m): 8:27am On Oct 23, 2010
There is always a mentality factor that comes with doing business in Niaja.
Why put up Mysql Database separately in a bill to develop a site (forum). It makes me laugh most times when i see such "ignorance" in the part of so called "Mega Developers".

Come to think of it: If the guys that developed phpbb3, SMF etc charged people for it, I don't think lots of people with forums would be able to afford it. and to think that after burning the midnight oil, these guys released these services as "Open source" software and even go ahead to ask people to further develop their Original ideas, but keep it within the OPEN SOURCE "Family" makes me wonder if ever a "BLACK Man" vis a' vis Nigerian could do same.

It has become a trend to use technical terms to get more money from unsuspecting customers, so am not surprised on seeing the price for Just MySQL, which FREELY comes with a web hosting package.

Lets rethink the way we want to make sharp sharp pepper and think about the future, what legacies are we leaving for the Nigerian cyberspace.

I will advice anyone who is afraid of being billed 180K for a database thats is included in a webspace to do more googling and also ask for more quotes from different sources.

I wonder how much someone will take to include SEO package in such forum (where SEO and other Mods are completely free) God help us all
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 23, 2010
Seun:

MySQL database is free. Most forum scripts are free.

Seun, you didnt mention if you would do it free for the guy grin
Even if the scripts are all over the web for download and tweaking, I wouldnt do it free for no one.
180k isnt bad. I guess?
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by bigfat: 8:53am On Oct 23, 2010
for programmers only
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Amalaaba: 9:05am On Oct 23, 2010
Hi SUXE 2005 ,
Since nobody has given you the meaning of MySQL i thought i should help! MySQL means My Structured Query Language. It is used by developers to save information of any kind in a manner that would be easy for access by developer(s) and user(s). Some versions are free while others require some form of registration. This is off course way cheaper than ORACLE. You may learn how to use ms ACCESS first before MySQL as it does the same thing with less capacity.

My experience with floating websites is that, i recommend you do it yourself if you can get the chance; no matter what you pay most developers around are touts and the good ones are too busy to upgrade and update for you as you choose. It is frustrating! Find time from no time.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by JUO(m): 9:46am On Oct 23, 2010
the amount is not bad. if the guy can do a good work
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by powerblaze(m): 10:11am On Oct 23, 2010
ive done a hotel site for 450k before, and it entailed an online reservation system and stuff. ive done a nafdac site for 1.5m. i study the customer before i place the bill.
there are web programmers allover, but few know the real thing. those few gotta be well compensated uno? cool
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Afam4eva(m): 10:29am On Oct 23, 2010
@ OP

I don't what you're saying. Are you saying yu were charged 180k for just the database or with the website as a whole because they are two different things. And it's imperative that you know that people don't pay for MySQL because it's open source but you pay a developer to create a database using SQL(Structured Query language) which is the propietry language for most database application like MySQL, SQL server, Oracle etc.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 23, 2010
@suxes2005

both webmasters are thieves. every thing about mysql is free and easy to work around with.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by yawatide(f): 11:40am On Oct 23, 2010
It's called capitalism folks. It is also about choice. Just like I have a choice to charge someone N1m for a 5-page site, the consumer also has a choice (and owes it to him/herself too actually) to shop around for lower prices. I might have my reasons for choosing to charge N1m, for the same reason ferraris are only custom-made and takes months to manufacture. Maybe I want to service a certain class of clientele. Granted there are frauds everywhere, that shouldn't take away from the fact that we should have a basic knowledge of what we are interested in. Are you aware that there is an enterprise version of MySQL which you have to pay for and maybe that is what the guy wanted to use? I am not defending the guy, am just saying.

Look at it this way, if you own a computer, how much do you think it cost to make it in china? I can't speak for that but I know for a fact that Nike shoes that folks by for $100+ in the US cost only about $5 to make in China. So should Nike be called a thief? Maybe but guess what? People still buy the shoes. Why? A combination of good marketing and quality of the product.

Folks, let capitalism be. The invisible hand works in mysterious ways. At the end of the day, the strong survive and the weak bite the dust. That's just plain natural law.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by lactemps(m): 1:27pm On Oct 23, 2010
My Message got censored and I dont know why am still getting updates on this topic.

I used my time 2 write a constructive response, but "vooooooom" it went under scrutiny!!! now I cant get the stuffs back from my head, cos as soon as I saw the price quote for MySQL, I lost the data tables in my brains database.

Kia,  I hope they will allow this one come up jare!!!.
Re: What Does Mysql Database Means? by suxes2005(m): 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2010
Thanks to everyone for the reply.

@Seun, would like to talk to u online
since we are from same state, lol

@all, 180k is just for d
mysql as she claimed and other
charges are there also getting to 240k
for a start. Dont think Seun spent dat much
when he started this forum.

I am targeting a particular niche in Africa and
I guess google has started something like
that but mine is gonna be a forum.

I want it to work like NL cos its easy to navigate
and i also want to add ip tracker and good security
so that u dont register 10 accts on same email or
ip.

More inputs are welcomed and I am also looking
to pick peeps here as MODs so as to work together
for the betterment of the forum.

You know one head cant do it all and all we need
in this life to succeed is just an idea. We also need
pple who will support the idea as well.

More infos are welcome

SHALOM

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Google Adsense Rejected On The Ground Of Scraped Content / 12 Things You Need To Know Before You Even Start A Blog / 6 Awesome Actions That'll Get You Fresh and Accurate Blog Post Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.