Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,942 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' (7552 Views)

Ex-Nigerian Ambassador To The UK Dr. Dalhatu Tafida Quits PDP - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Sacks Tafida, Bianca, Maduekwe, Farounbi, Others / 500 Nigerians In Uk Prisons – Tafida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 21, 2010
He is used to handing out the criticism. But today Lord Sugar was on the receiving end as Nigeria's High Commissioner in London accused him of insulting millions of his countrymen.

In a statement, His Excellency Dr Dalhatu Sarki Tafida accused the Apprentice boss of making “demeaning” and “spurious” comments about the African country on his hit BBC show The Apprentice.

His Excellency accuses the peer of smearing Nigeria's reputation with an “unprovoked” and “damaging” attack based on his sordid dealings with one individual.

It comes after Lord Sugar suggested that Nigerians could not be trusted over financial promises.

During the opening episode of The Apprentice, the peer asked contestant Stuart Baggs why he should not be “fired” from the show.

Mr Baggs said: “If you give me one hundred grand a year, I will deliver to you 10 times that and if I don't — take it all back. A money back guarantee, I'm that confident”.

Lord Sugar replied: “I had an offer like that from Nigeria once and funnily enough it didn't transpire.”

The peer gave no explanation as to whether his comment was based on a real event or a stereotyped view about Nigerians.

The BBC, which is often sensitive to such pejorative remarks, allowed the pre-recorded clip to be broadcast.

Today a statement issued on Dr Tafida's behalf said: “Lord Sugar's remark on Nigeria is preposterous and spurious for a number of reasons.

"It was an unprovoked, damaging remark on a sovereign and independent state of over 150 million people, based on his alleged sordid and isolated deal with a Nigerian individual. It is indeed demeaning and unfortunate.”

Nigeria has developed a reputation, however, as a base for “mass marketing” rackets in which organised criminals seek to cheat victims of their money by offering prizes or other incentives, which subsequently fail to materialise, in return for cash payments.

A report this year by the International Mass Marketing Fraud Working Group warned that the country continued “to serve as a base of operations for a wide range of mass-marketing activity.”

The 2001 census said there were nearly 90,000 Nigerian-born people living in the UK — just under 69,000 in London — and both numbers are believed to have increased significantly since.

The Hackney businessman versus the High Commissioner

Lord Sugar started in business selling electrical goods from a van after leaving school at 16, and is now worth about £730 million. He founded Amstrad, the electrical goods firm, which he sold in 2007, and was chairman of Tottenham Hotspur for several years. The Hackney-born entrepreneur was knighted for services to business in 2000 and was last year appointed Gordon Brown's Enterprise Champion and elevated to the Lords. He also supports charities including Great Ormond Street Hospital and Jewish Care.

His Excellency Dr Dalhutu Sarki Tafida was appointed Nigeria's High Commissioner in London in 2008 after a career in medicine which included studying in Newcastle, Liverpool and the US. He was appointed chief physician to the Nigerian president between 1980 and 1983 and later served as minister of health between 1993 and 1995. He was a member of the Nigerian senate between 2003 and 2007, including a period as the Senate majority leader. He is married with nine children and his interests include playing Scrabble and table tennis.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23890179-sir-alan-sugar-under-fire-over-nigeria-insult-in-the-apprentice.do

A BBC spokesman said: “It is clear Lord Sugar was just making a reference to a perception about email scams.

“I think that was what the remark was about and a person has chosen to make a comment on it.

“It is clear what he was referring to and I don’t think it can be seen as a comment against the whole Nigerian nation.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/the-apprentice/8078721/Lord-Sugar-in-row-over-Nigeria-comments.html
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 21, 2010
Alan Sugar should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. And to think i once adored him when he was chairman of my darling club.WTF?

am sure no Nigerian conned him.that man cant be conned.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:59pm On Oct 21, 2010
Why are they obsessing over one attempt at wit by some rich Brit when the reputation of Nigeria is less than shi.t and whining won't stop scammers one bit,

His snide remark wasn't too far from the truth, too many scams do come out of Nigeria, and taking all this time to condemn him is really just giving the comment far more power than it should really have. If you respect yourself, you can take a little mockery or derision. I know I make fun of Brits every now and then for the way they act, their supposedly glorious inglorious history, and their awful food, I doubt a Brit would get all up in arms if I did so, as they have a tendency towards sarcasm and would just fire back; then it would be a competition*(_+

1 Like

Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 21, 2010
PhysicsMHD:

Why are they obsessing over one attempt at wit by some rich Brit when the reputation of Nigeria is less than shi.t and whining won't stop scammers one bit,

His snide remark wasn't too far from the truth, too many scams do come out of Nigeria, and taking all this time to condemn him is really just giving the comment far more power than it should really have. If you respect yourself, you can take a little mockery or derision. I know I make fun of Brits every now and then for the way they act, their supposedly glorious inglorious history, and their awful food, I doubt a Brit would get all up in arms if I did so, as they have a tendency towards sarcasm and would just fire back; then it would be a competition*(_+

Corruption comes in various shapes and forms and while I deplore the shame that comes to the country as a result of these scams, Britain cannot talk because they have worse skeletons hidden in the cupboards.

Britain has been swindling other countries for centuries now, and the only reason for the slight reduction in their greed for resources belonging to others is that everybody is now getting more aware of the facts on the ground.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by texazzpete(m): 11:25pm On Oct 21, 2010
The Envoys don't get it; it's when you obsess over these things that it becomes bigger news. Why do our Envoys have to release all these cringe inducing, long winded letters whenever someone cracks the 'Nigeria' joke?

Like it or not, many many people have received hundreds of these 'Nigerian' emails. Fix this from the source. take decisive actions against these scammers first before you start being so damn self-righteous.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by redsun(m): 11:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
Nigerian reputation is damaged more by rogue leadership more than any other thing. Our leaders are criminals and no sane person will take a country run by crooks seriously. We need to get our acts right. I'm not a fan of that man but he hit d nail right.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 22, 2010
Make Tafida go siddon jo, The thing wey Alan Sugar talk na lie?
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by EzeUche0(m): 12:47am On Oct 22, 2010
The British have some nerve. After centuries of exploitation of developing nations, this British man has the nerve to talk. Britain would not be where it is if it did not exploit Africa, Asia and North America. Point blank. . .
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 1:08am On Oct 22, 2010
Why is this news, this happened over a week or two ago.

Like it isn't true sef.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by AloyEmeka5: 1:43am On Oct 22, 2010
texazzpete:

The Envoys don't get it; it's when you obsess over these things that it becomes bigger news. Why do our Envoys have to release all these cringe inducing, long winded letters whenever someone cracks the 'Nigeria' joke?

Like it or not, many many people have received hundreds of these 'Nigerian' emails. Fix this from the source. take decisive actions against these scammers first before you start being so damn self-righteous.

I agree. You can silence them for all I care but it wouldn't change their opinion about Nigeria.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Eziachi: 4:42am On Oct 22, 2010
What I had always say to Nigerians is that, if do not want bad publicity, do not reply to everything said about you with some sensitivity. I do not think I have watched the apprentice, since after the first series, so without high commissioner earning his crust over what was said in a reality show, I wouldn’t have known and sure, there are millions like me to that effect too.
That Nigeria and money or finance do not lie on the same bed with a good out come is not a news breaking anymore, I can’t imagine Italians jumping up defensively every time, something is mentioned about the Sicilian mafia or organised crime.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by redsun(m): 8:40am On Oct 22, 2010
Nigerian system is grossly irresponsible-a good recent example of d partetic state of nigeria is d toxic waste ship that left d port without due clearance.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by manmustwac(m): 10:52am On Oct 22, 2010
Alan Sugar is always cracking jokes on the appprentice and if the high commission was hurt by this one why can't they do something to improve the countrys name and image instead of complain?
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 22, 2010
The BBC as usual with their arrogance have referred to our High Commissioner as ' a person '. See below.

A BBC spokesman said: “It is clear Lord Sugar was just making a reference to a perception about email scams.

“I think that was what the remark was about and a person has chosen to make a comment on it.

“It is clear what he was referring to and I don’t think it can be seen as a comment against the whole Nigerian nation.”
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by LouisThoru(f): 11:14am On Oct 22, 2010
Thats what Nigerians like, when outsiders talk so badly against them and their family and everything they represent, they praise that person as a hero.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by beneli(m): 11:47am On Oct 22, 2010
What I think is disgraceful about this whole thing is that some Nigerians think it's actually okay for such a high profile person as Mr Alan Sugar to come out with such a 'demeaning' comment about Nigeria.

When the man stated; ' I had an offer like that from Nigeria once and funnily enough it didn't transpire . . .' he was not mindful enough to state that it was an offer from 'a Nigerian' . . .which as a respectable Nigerian I find very insulting.  

Though as Nigerians we like to complain about how things are wrong in our country - which by the way is not a trait peculiar to us alone - we don't need to be patronised by people like Alan Sugar and the BBC.  Nigeria is a soveriegn nation of 150 million people and while there are a few who go about tainting our image abroad by engaging in all sorts of inglorious activities, we are not all criminals. So it is highly contemptible to stereotype a whole nation as Alan Sugar has done.  I am sure that were the shoe on the other foot, the British High Commisioner to Nigeria would NOT have kept silent about it.

So, even if some Nigerians conclude that they themselves are not deserving of any respect from the International community, and as such have no qualms about every Tom, D .i. ck and Harry deriding them both privately and openly, his Excellency Dr Dalhatu Sarki Tafida and many other self-respecting Nigerians should take offence at Mr Sugars ignorant comments. . .
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by udennaa: 11:56am On Oct 22, 2010
the man talk true joo.even the deaf knows our name n image have been battered and is getting worse by the day.instead of the defence,we nigerians starting from the leaders should begin to do something about minimising corruption.untill that is done every effort at defending nigeria or nigerians will be futile.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 22, 2010
As always, the truth is a bitter pill. Do u guys know how many scam emails that are flying out of Naija now? 419 has been institutionalised in Naija, forget EFCC noise. Where are all the Billions that they have recovered? Can't FG use such funds to create meaningful employment? Can't the government start an Amnesty programme for the 419ers too, afterall that's d buzz word now
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2010
frosbel:

He is used to handing out the criticism. But today Lord Sugar was on the receiving end as Nigeria's High Commissioner in London accused him of insulting millions of his countrymen.

In a statement, His Excellency Dr Dalhatu Sarki Tafida accused the Apprentice boss of making “demeaning” and “spurious” comments about the African country on his hit BBC show The Apprentice.

His Excellency accuses the peer of smearing Nigeria's reputation with an “unprovoked” and “damaging” attack based on his sordid dealings with one individual.

It comes after Lord Sugar suggested that Nigerians could not be trusted over financial promises.

During the opening episode of The Apprentice, the peer asked contestant Stuart Baggs why he should not be “fired” from the show.

Mr Baggs said: “If you give me one hundred grand a year, I will deliver to you 10 times that and if I don't — take it all back. A money back guarantee, I'm that confident”.

Lord Sugar replied: “I had an offer like that from Nigeria once and funnily enough it didn't transpire.”

The peer gave no explanation as to whether his comment was based on a real event or a stereotyped view about Nigerians.

The BBC, which is often sensitive to such pejorative remarks, allowed the pre-recorded clip to be broadcast.

Today a statement issued on Dr Tafida's behalf said: “Lord Sugar's remark on Nigeria is preposterous and spurious for a number of reasons.

"It was an unprovoked, damaging remark on a sovereign and independent state of over 150 million people, based on his alleged sordid and isolated deal with a Nigerian individual. It is indeed demeaning and unfortunate.”

Nigeria has developed a reputation, however, as a base for “mass marketing” rackets in which organised criminals seek to cheat victims of their money by offering prizes or other incentives, which subsequently fail to materialise, in return for cash payments.

A report this year by the International Mass Marketing Fraud Working Group warned that the country continued “to serve as a base of operations for a wide range of mass-marketing activity.”

The 2001 census said there were nearly 90,000 Nigerian-born people living in the UK — just under 69,000 in London — and both numbers are believed to have increased significantly since.

The Hackney businessman versus the High Commissioner

Lord Sugar started in business selling electrical goods from a van after leaving school at 16, and is now worth about £730 million. He founded Amstrad, the electrical goods firm, which he sold in 2007, and was chairman of Tottenham Hotspur for several years. The Hackney-born entrepreneur was knighted for services to business in 2000 and was last year appointed Gordon Brown's Enterprise Champion and elevated to the Lords. He also supports charities including Great Ormond Street Hospital and Jewish Care.

His Excellency Dr Dalhutu Sarki Tafida was appointed Nigeria's High Commissioner in London in 2008 after a career in medicine which included studying in Newcastle, Liverpool and the US. He was appointed chief physician to the Nigerian president between 1980 and 1983 and later served as minister of health between 1993 and 1995. He was a member of the Nigerian senate between 2003 and 2007, including a period as the Senate majority leader. He is married with nine children and his interests include playing Scrabble and table tennis.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23890179-sir-alan-sugar-under-fire-over-nigeria-insult-in-the-apprentice.do

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/the-apprentice/8078721/Lord-Sugar-in-row-over-Nigeria-comments.html
This is always my problem with this british imperialists.It was in the news recently that channel 4 plans to show a film depicting the kidnap of prince Harry,you need to come and see how the british government and the army move against such.But this BBC is obsessed with Nigeria with their cheap propaganda through the media.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 22, 2010
So, even if some Nigerians conclude that they themselves are not deserving of any respect from the International community, and as such have no qualms about every Tom, D .i. ck and Harry deriding them both privately and openly, his Excellency Dr Dalhatu Sarki Tafida and many other self-respecting Nigerians should take offence at Mr Sugars ignorant comments. . .  

Best comment so far.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by texazzpete(m): 6:27pm On Oct 22, 2010
frosbel:

Best comment so far.

You mean the only comment you agree with.

You people are the ones making Nigeria an international joke! Instead of fixing your country you're here preaching of outrage and indignation. If you feel so strongly about this stigma, please go to Lagos cybercafes and throw out all the scammers you see there! or go picket MTN, Starcomms et al until they install better scam filters on their networks.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by tpia5: 6:36pm On Oct 22, 2010
obama said the same thing.

i think it's some kind of status symbol with them.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2010
texazzpete:

You mean the only comment you agree with.

You people are the ones making Nigeria an international joke! Instead of fixing your country you're here preaching of outrage and indignation. If you feel so strongly about this stigma, please go to Lagos cybercafes and throw out all the scammers you see there! or go picket MTN, Starcomms et al until they install better scam filters on their networks.

We can resolve the problems currently encumbering our country without the sarcastic jokes and hypocritical intervention of double faced nations and their elite.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by monkeyleg: 9:22pm On Oct 22, 2010
While I dont side with Mr Sugar on this and never will, I better remind us Nigerians that our reputation goes before us. Whether we like it or not we dont help ourselves. This is from the immense damage 419, corruption, bad leadership has done to us, and Nigeria as a country has not doesn anything to repair that damage.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:50am On Oct 23, 2010
tpia@:

obama said the same thing.

i think it's some kind of status symbol with them.

What did Obama say?
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by tpia5: 2:32am On Oct 23, 2010
exactly what Sir alan sugar said.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:00am On Oct 23, 2010
When & where? Just curious. He's not known for those kind of John McCain/Joe Biden type of statements. Seems too calculating and balanced.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by tpia5: 4:57am On Oct 23, 2010
while campaigning- during the election.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 23, 2010
The title of this thread on the homepage is wrong.
Lord Sugar is not a media boss.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by justwise(m): 3:45pm On Oct 23, 2010
There is nothing wrong with his comment, Dr Dalhatu Sarki Tafida should should stop making a fool of himself. Millions of pple have received those dodgy emails from some dubious Nigerians.

Lord Sugar's comment is a statement of fact.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by duduspace(m): 4:29pm On Oct 23, 2010
The Ambassador is only being silly, there is nothing offensive or derogatory about that statement at all. Would the american ambassador be making as much noise if he the statement was “I had an offer like that from America once and funnily enough it didn't transpire.”? It is a fact that most of such crimes are traced to Nigeria but he in no way suggested all Nigerians partake in it.
The government should clamp down on internet crime and fraud in Nigeria and then people will take the loud mouthed ambassador serious as things are now, he is just making noise.
Re: Sir Alan Sugar Under Fire Over 'NIGERIA Insult' - BBC call Dr.Tafida 'a Person ' by okeyxyz(m): 4:40pm On Oct 23, 2010
EzeUche0:

The British have some nerve. After centuries of exploitation of developing nations, this British man has the nerve to talk. Britain would not be where it is if it did not exploit Africa, Asia and North America. Point blank. . .
& wat r u doing sittin on ur a.s.s being exploited?
many of d so-called exploited nations of asia & north america have moved on, have become giants of industry, & we r still here moaning about nothing. we'd better get a life, put ourselves to meaningful work b4 demanding respect.
respect has to b earned, not a right. what sir alan suger said is simply statement of fact, & he'd readily produce d evidence from his email & there should b at least hundreds of these scam email in his inbox or spam box. not to mention millions of of ppl around d globe who r also bombarded daily wit our scam offers.
how can we ever do anything right if we can't admit a single fault & make efforts to turn it around.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ajimobi Sacks 3 Commissioners For Inefficiency / Nigeria Is The New Center For Pirate Attacks In The World / Riot Breaks Out In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.