Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? (7599 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / 5 Types Of People You Meet At A Typical Nigerian Buka (mama Put) / What Can I Cook For My Igbo Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Jasiel(f): 9:12am On Oct 22, 2010
i hate the fact that i have to eat mama put simply because of the way they cook their stew. but if u guys are familiar with that particular stew, then u probably know what i'm talking 'bout. i've tried so many different combinations while trying to cook that stew that i'm so confused. can somebody help me out?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by babyme1(f): 11:57am On Oct 22, 2010
Try using rotten tomatoes, rotten pepper, tatashi and the rest. Go for the cheapest part of meat. Then cook the stew as if you are cooking for 500 pple or more.

I hope u enjoy your mama put stew.
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Jasiel(f): 3:38pm On Oct 22, 2010
u've got to be joking lipsrsealed. that sounds so gross shocked
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Fhemmmy: 5:04pm On Oct 22, 2010
Just ask mama put for the recipe . . simple
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Jasiel(f): 5:20pm On Oct 22, 2010
unfortunately, its not that easy to ask for the recipe when you're on a queue and there are like 5 impatient others behinyou. except if you're looking to get lynched. nigerians no dey take mama put play o wink
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Fhemmmy: 7:46pm On Oct 22, 2010
Jasiel:

unfortunately, its not that easy to ask for the recipe when you're on a queue and there are like 5 impatient others behinyou. except if you're looking to get lynched. nigerians no dey take mama put play o wink

Go there when Mama Put is closing and go on your kneels to plead to get the recipe

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by dominique(f): 11:39am On Oct 25, 2010
Lmao @ baby.me cheesy
poster, in addition to that suggestion, make sure you cook it with bleached oil that has been used several times n add plenty of tomato paste to make the stew thick.
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by gozzilla(m): 11:44am On Oct 25, 2010
Seems to me like a good question.

It is just like asking how do you get your jollof rice to test like the ones in party. We all know the smoke from the firewood is a big factor. So for this mama put stew, maybe the variety of meat, and smoke particularly play a huge role in determining the taste. I sense it is beyond a recipe, because all mama put stew almost taste the same just like all party rice taste same
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:46am On Oct 25, 2010
@ OP

Ajino-moto or A1 seasoning!! wink
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by babyme1(f): 3:45pm On Oct 25, 2010
LMAO. I just spoke with a friend who asked me the exact question. I told her to hold on so i can check with ma peeps. Brb!
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by tpia5: 4:03pm On Oct 25, 2010
the mama puts have lots of cooking experience, hence the quality of their food.,

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Rocktation(f): 12:51pm On Oct 27, 2010
Simple. Just cook your conventional stew and then add water that you've used in rinsing your 'nyash', if you understand the dub. Then you'll get that exact flavor of mama put that you're after.
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Fhemmmy: 3:08pm On Oct 27, 2010
Rocktation:

Simple. Just cook your conventional stew and then add water that you've used in rinsing your 'nyash', if you understand the dub. Then you'll get that exact flavor of mama put that you're after.

Disgusting

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Rocktation(f): 9:22am On Oct 28, 2010
^^^Exactly! This is Africa and i want the thread starter to understand that these mama put people are 'jazz' compliant. That's if he doesn't already.
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by envee(f): 4:07pm On Nov 05, 2010
dominique:

Lmao @ baby.me cheesy
poster, in addition to that suggestion, make sure you cook it with bleached oil that has been used several times n add plenty of tomato paste to make the stew thick.

that's true, bleached oil would do the trick.
Only that you'd loose the nutrients in the (bleached) palm oil as my momma says.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by GeorgeD1(m): 5:15pm On Nov 05, 2010
jasiel,
if you really want to know how to cook the mama put stew maybe you need to consider serving under one of them for at least a week. you could help wash/cut the tomatoes, pepper, mop the floor, etc while spying on the mama doing her thing.
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Nobody: 5:15am On Nov 18, 2010
I sense a lot of jealousy from these ajebota girls here with their fancy recipes that taste nowhere near as GREAT as MAMA PUT servings.

On another thread some guy asked for original peppery jollof recipe, and one of these ajebota, club girls started typing ''add garlic, add cinnamon, add parsley'' and such nonsense.

Tomorrow they'll be yapping Mama Put. And NO they do NOT use ''rotten tomatoes''. I've SEEN THEM FIRST HAND COOKING and they use 100% FRESH INGREDIENTS.

They're just BETTER at their job than YOU.

When they were young they spent time learning in the KITCHEN, while you were out CLUBBING and doing RUNS.

So please lay off Mama Put joints. It's not their fault you're pathetic in the kitchen!!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by tpia5: 6:09am On Nov 18, 2010
^^true talk for the most part but your delivery was very harsh.

though the mamaputs were really maligned sha- i have no idea why.

and fresh ingredients do taste better.

also, garlic is ok in jollof rice.
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Nobody: 6:30am On Nov 18, 2010
My delivery was harsh exactly because of the callous manner these people came on here and started attacking and insulting Mama Put for no reason.  Are Mama put not Nigerian? Or because they didn't attend university and speak 'Queen's English', people think they can just insult and dismiss them anyhow? No way.

Those women have been an absolute life saver for millions of working Nigerians and must be accorded respect.

Oh, and garlic isn't too bad in making authentic jollof I guess, so long as you leave out all the ''parsley, coriander, cinnamon, mushroom'' stuff.  smiley
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:17pm On Nov 18, 2010
rossike,
you could still make your point without neccessarily being so antagonistic.
the way your posting makes me wonder if you grew up eating 'mama put'
rice! grin
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by Phate07(m): 12:14pm On Nov 19, 2010
baby.me:

Try using rotten tomatoes, rotten pepper, tatashi and the rest. Go for the cheapest part of meat. Then cook the stew as if you are cooking for 500 pple or more.

I hope u enjoy your mama put stew.
grin grin grin
Most apt description ever. cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by cookie27: 12:16am On Nov 24, 2010
The secret is bleached oil. But they also use dried bell peppers (tatase) and chilli peppers (shombo) both of which have to be soaked and rinsed thoroughly before grinding to remove their characteristic taste. Only the tomatoes and onions are fresh. Be careful to bleach the oil until it is just black (not 'white' as you would for ofada stew).
And of course firewood smoke give it that universal taste.
Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:25am On Nov 24, 2010
firewood smoke! ha! grin
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by tpia5: 4:23pm On Nov 24, 2010
^^ yes, smoke gives meat especially, a good flavour.
Re: How Do I Cook Mama Put Stew? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:09pm On Nov 25, 2010
ha! na wao! i'm hearing this for the first time! grin

(1) (Reply)

vs / What I Saw In The Nutri-milk I Bought Today (pix) / How Often Do You Eat With Cutlery??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.