Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,784 members, 7,806,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Most Outstanding African Presidents - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Most Outstanding African Presidents (16797 Views)

The Seven Forgotten United State Presidents / 5 Best Presidents in African History / What Is Wrong With African Presidents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Outstanding African Presidents by larger20(m): 3:57am On Jan 19, 2006
The most outstanding presidents of the african nation

- Nelson Mandela of South africa (retired)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe of Nigeria (retired and dead)
- Agyekum Kufuor of ghana (Current)
- President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf of liberia (current)

Who do you think is the most outstanding african president
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by rikkyjen(m): 6:10am On Jan 19, 2006
Whats ur indices and analysis for measuring the outstandingness of those people you mentioned!!!! shocked

the only person who fit as outstanding is nelson mandela...Sorry to say,Great Zik was a mere shadow figure-head just like queen elizabeth in britain now!!!...D man was a mere ceremonial head of state.Though Zik made his marks In Nigeria,Journalism,independence of d country but i wont put him as africa outstanding!!!...Tafawa balewa was d one ruling just as tony blair is doin d yeo-mans job in Britain!!!!!

Kuffour my black-ass shocked...ol boy u dey follow ghana politics at all...Ghana is worst than when rawlings was there....their cedis just dey wor-wor every day,messed up economy!!!

what makes ellen-johnson outstandingis it her gender? or is it because she is a harvard trained world bank economist..or pherhaps because she defeated george weah at the polls.

Have you heard about Emperor haille-selaisse of Ethiopia,Kenneth kaunda of Zambia,Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana,...d list goes on................
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by issacboro: 5:06pm On Jan 21, 2006
me grin
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Chxta(m): 11:36pm On Jan 23, 2006
How can we say who the most outstanding is when we haven't first defined the indices for arriving at such a conclusion? I'd say Idi Amin was the most outsanding, depending on how you want to view it.

The point is this: what are the criteria we are using to judge?
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by rikkyjen(m): 5:33am On Jan 24, 2006
The indices is so simple!!!!...people who fought for pan-africanism and african unity should be called outstanding african presidents....emperor haille sellaisse and kwame Nkrumah fought for african unity[b]...patrice lumumba [/b] was another die-hard pan-africanist,his independence speech was a venom on d belgian crown which eventually lead to his death...You and i know who and what role mandela played and is still playing in africa

1 Like

Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Free(f): 1:01am On Feb 13, 2006
nelson mandela
kwame nkrumah yes, even though the ghanaian people overthrew him
i believe his intension was good for africa
Agyekum kuffour the current ghana president i dont know bout him undecided undecided
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2006
I think the indices should be defined this way,e.g,
In terms of fighting against racism I think Pres. Mandela should be the man.
In terms of making powerful unity speechs,late Pres.Nkruma is the man.
In terms of actual sacrificing of human blood and scarce resources in peace keeping missions to keep a united Africa I think one of the Nigerian presidents should be the man.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by larger20(m): 11:34pm On Feb 13, 2006
uchrik:

In terms of actual sacrificing of human blood and scarce resources in peace keeping missions to keep a united Africa I think one of the Nigerian presidents should be the man.

I will give it to obasanjo and no, he is not giving me any more. I think he has done a lot to keep liberia and sudan in peace
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by topisdo: 1:51pm On Mar 29, 2007
O NIgerians, where is thy foresight?
Mandela was a great freedom fighter, never a great president.
Others that you mentioned are just not worth debating.
I would mention Obasanjo for the consideration of right thinking minds here.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Bankole01(m): 2:01pm On Mar 29, 2007
I am surprised no one mentioned Julius Nyerere (Mualimu) the gentleman teacher helped his nation attain independence promised to serve only one term and kept his promise. He retire peacefully to the country side. Now that is a rear trait in African sit-tight desports. Who put Obsanjo's name on this list? don't make me vex o. Obasanjo is a modern day bandit, one of the worst scoundrels on the face of Africa, trailing Robert Mugabe.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Razorr(f): 2:11pm On Mar 29, 2007
It's General Babangida!

No kill me o! grin
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by BigB11(m): 2:17pm On Mar 29, 2007
I do not know what it is, but I truly admire the first president of Ghana, Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah.

He was an outstanding leader; he was very tough, knowledgeable, focused and had a clear vision.

I'm still move today by his incredible powerful speech delivered at the United Nations in 1960.  

He was the man, a great communicator who couldn't be manipulated by any entity.

1 Like

Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by BigB11(m): 2:19pm On Mar 29, 2007
Posted by Razorr:
It's General Babangida!

Hey Razorr,
I have no comment, but I feel you.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by 4Play(m): 2:03am On Mar 31, 2007
@Big B1

I'm not too keen on your effusive hagiography on Kwame Nkrumah who for all his eloquence and idealism was essentialy a despot.

A more deserving person should be Sir Seretse Khama of Botswana whose inspiring and unique leadership,for an African country,has helped that country maintain what is said to be the world's fastest economic growth rate over 3 decades .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seretse_Khama
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Ndipe(m): 3:22am On Mar 31, 2007
4play, thank you. Nkrumah was a despot who plunged the country into financial quagmire, with his huge elephant projects. Why was he overthrown if he was a good man? When he was deposed, Ghanians were so happy, that there was jubilation in certain parts of the country. He does not deserve the honor bestowed on him, simply because he was instrumental in the independence of Ghana. Nope, don't care for him, one bit. He was a dictator. Moreso, there was this cult of personality that he had developed, in Ghana, along with the likes of Sellaise and Kaunda, so they were bad news.

The person that I admired the most was the late Burkinabe leader, Thomas Sankara. He had the qualities of a true leader. May his soul rest in peace, in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen. He advocated for the rights of women, by banning female circumcision. Shunning luxury, he was squired/or drove in his Renault car.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Seun(m): 4:46am On Mar 31, 2007
Idi Amin was outstandingly bad. I can't think of any outstandingly good presidents. Even Mandela is no saint. wink
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by betantee(m): 10:10am On Mar 31, 2007
i duff my hat for Nelson Mandela and Nwalimu Nyerere,they are simply the greatest in Africa
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Crownvilla(m): 11:12pm On Apr 11, 2007
Thomas Sankara all the way!
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by Ka: 11:57pm On Apr 11, 2007
I nominate the late Seewoosagur Ramgoolam of Mauritius - the independence leader of one of the few African countries that has a functioning democracy and is reasonably prosperous.

I'll also add Seretse Khama of Botswana as well.

As for those noisemakers who preached African unity but delivered little prosperity, well. . .
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by mpalana: 5:13pm On Feb 15, 2008
Dr H Kamuzu the late is the one, the former president of republic of Malawi.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by bawomolo(m): 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2008
I nominate the late Seewoosagur Ramgoolam of Mauritius - the independence leader of one of the few African countries that has a functioning democracy and is reasonably prosperous.

u do realize there is still slavery in mauritania. not all that glitters is gold.

i would say the current president of botswana is good. patrice lumumba was the most charistmatic but his marxist leanings were a bit off
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by folahann(m): 9:04pm On Feb 15, 2008
With just less than a month in ofiice, Mr Umaru Yar'adua has being outstanding for being dull
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by mystikal(m): 10:24pm On Feb 15, 2008
Mandela was a great freedom fighter and a great president.
Maybe Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso, also this president from Botswana(forgotten his name)
Abacha from Nigeria was outstanding, in fact we've been blessed with outstanding presidents: IBB, Obasanjo, now Yar'Adua
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by doyin13(m): 10:26pm On Feb 15, 2008
There should be only one test to be honest. . .

Those who left office on time
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by darfur(m): 10:57pm On Feb 15, 2008
mandela
mandela
mandela
mandela
mandela and only mandela
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by bibiking1(m): 10:45am On Feb 16, 2008
Some of you just stop short of saying Shaka Zulu or some other brutals!

whatever happened to Chissano?
we are in very short supply of good leaders in Africa, they cant be more than 5
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by pcicero(m): 10:58am On Feb 16, 2008
@ Bibiking1:
Joachim Chissano for winning Mo Ibrahim's leadership prize? what do we really know about him? anyway i agree with you that we are in short supply of good leaders in Africa!

@Mpalana:
Kamuzu Banda? that hypocritical bastard who even had the gut to insert his symbol into the country's currency while still being president? A dictator of several decades?

I suggest Nyerere too, quiet, unassuming and less dictatorial but the economy of tanzania was not so fantastic while he was president. infact he had no answer to the economic problems of the country not to talk of Africa.
one might be tempted to think that the problems they confront are always so overwhelming, even beclouding their good intentions. No, it is sheer lack of WILL.

Africans, we are truly ignorant. Now Professor Watson was right, ignoramus we are and that is what we shall remain!

Oh God please help us!
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by vikiviko(m): 12:45pm On Feb 16, 2008
Nelson Mandela personifies struggle. He is still leading the fight against apartheid with extraordinary vigour and resilience after spending nearly three decades of his life behind bars. He has sacrificed his private life and his youth for his people, and remains South Africa's best known and loved hero.

Mandela has honorary degrees from more than 50 international universities and is chancellor of the University of the North
He was inaugurated as the first democratically elected State President of South Africa on 10 May 1994 - June 1999

Nelson Mandela retired from Public life in June 1999. He currently resides in his birth place - Qunu, Transkei.

He remains Africa's finest and best.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by vikiviko(m): 12:48pm On Feb 16, 2008
Nelson Mandela personifies struggle. He is still leading the fight against apartheid with extraordinary vigour and resilience after spending nearly three decades of his life behind bars. He has sacrificed his private life and his youth for his people, and remains South Africa's best known and loved hero.

Mandela has honorary degrees from more than 50 international universities and is chancellor of the University of the North
He was inaugurated as the first democratically elected State President of South Africa on 10 May 1994 - June 1999

Nelson Mandela retired from Public life in June 1999. He currently resides in his birth place - Qunu, Transkei.

He remains Africa's finest and best.

Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by 4peace(m): 5:35am On Feb 17, 2008
pre-independence in africa we have leaders but post-independence what we have are dealers who want to died on thrown even if not for health wise Mandela will still be SA president.
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by vowiski(m): 7:03am On Feb 17, 2008
just one
BABA!
Re: Most Outstanding African Presidents by rookie(m): 5:50pm On Feb 19, 2008
None

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ben Roberts Resigns As Gambia's Finance Minister (photo) / Germany Faces Genocide Case Over Israel Weapon Sales / Rising Fuel And Food Costs Push US Inflation To 7.9%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.