Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,014 members, 7,806,969 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

How long do you code a day(Hours) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How long do you code a day(Hours) (9468 Views)

[source Code] A Program That Solves A Transportation Problem - By Frank UMEADI / How To Code A Basic Twitter Clone With PHP / How To Code A Script That Can Send Email? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 24, 2010
Share the time spent on your system coding/developing an application on daily basis!
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by LouisThoro: 9:04pm On Oct 24, 2010
its not how much but how well.

These days, you dont need to sit down coding, you all have it all packaged in the various applications, e.g. dot net.

Anyone who claims he or she spends the whole day coding is telling you lies or is not a good programmer,

LOL.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 24, 2010
@LouisThoro u are right on that but unlike some languages .NET comes with a lot of components which basically does the job for you quickly but languages like PHP where you have to code every single aspect even the use of frameworks requiring coding but less. i think spending less time on coding is better, the only time you spend the whole day coding is unless you are creating a reusable library for future projects that will make sense. so less is better.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 24, 2010
True Sis.

As much as i like coding i like doing other things.

One fact about me is that i can't remember when last i spent 4 hours debugging!

Ask why? When Donpuzo has a bug that has defied attempts by over 2 hours, he leaves it for another day!

When next i come, it tends to be easier. My Javaplus teacher Emmanuel Iyagwoya once told use that there is Spiritual heights in coding!

But on a scale i spend 6 hours a day coding! And the other chilling and reading Ebooks!

You?? At least a time?
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2010
Ha, PC. You are online.

Guess you got my mail! Please treat as urgent, i was lucky the client was smiling at the design and forgot the time spent on that work!

I would not be able to explain with "Sir, i have been multithreading" by sunday.

His reply will be. Multithreading on my ***,*** Naira

Biko ohhh!
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 24, 2010
True that i do that a lot spent the whole looking for bugs when i use to work only for me to discover error_reporting was off the next day taking a break is essential that way u relax ur mind.

@donpuzo am coming online now
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 9:40pm On Oct 24, 2010
was reading my C# book, but am working on the first one now,
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2010
I don reply you,

Thanks!
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by LouisThoro: 9:46pm On Oct 24, 2010
nice.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by lojik(m): 10:21pm On Oct 24, 2010
Maybe u guys are coding static websites or just coding login forms or u probably have very few jobs at hand.

I spend about 12-18hrs coding daily except on sundays where i spend about 6 hrs. Coding is my main business and i dont joke with my business at all.

I do enterprise applications from scratch with or without framework, it still requires time.

I'm coding an sms reseller component for joomla that will turn joomla into an sms reseller website and i cant think of any short cut than to code everything.
Even in dot.net, when u reach levels where you need to code two way sms servers or some mobile phone applications for enterprise, u will learn to code all day.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by ogzille(m): 10:23pm On Oct 24, 2010
I code nothing less than 10 hours daily, i work saturdays and sundays too cry cry
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by LouisThoro: 10:27pm On Oct 24, 2010
yeah right.

I can spend 18 hours coding and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it, whereas someone can code 6 hours daily and have loads to show for it.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by ogzille(m): 10:40pm On Oct 24, 2010
@LouisThoro, yeah thats you now; u can code for 18 hours (thats if u can), and you will not have anything to show for it; other can do same and have loads to show for it.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by LouisThoro: 10:41pm On Oct 24, 2010
LOL

Ogzille don dey vex.

Code ko, code ni. Lets see the 18 hrs code. Even Bill Gates go to sleep
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by ogzille(m): 10:46pm On Oct 24, 2010
As a programmer coding should be ur work and part of your hobby.

The timing varies, depending on workload and schedule.

Some dudes can code forgetting breakfast and lunch,
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by LouisThoro: 10:50pm On Oct 24, 2010
Ogzille

I went through your website and your portfolio and then viewed the sources of a few of the pages. I will not spend 18 hours coding.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by yawatide(f): 10:55pm On Oct 24, 2010
60+ hours a week. In fact, I am taking a break from coding right now tongue
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by LouisThoro: 10:57pm On Oct 24, 2010
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by ogzille(m): 12:12am On Oct 25, 2010
LouisThoro:

Ogzille

I went through your website and your portfolio and then viewed the sources of a few of the pages. I will not spend 18 hours coding.

I dont understand what u re trying to say
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by LouisThoro: 12:34am On Oct 25, 2010
Answer this if you are great in programming and coding:

1=3, 2=3, 3=5, 4=4, 5=4, 6=3, 7=5, 8=5, 9=4, 10=3, 11=?, 12=?
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by ogzille(m): 12:40am On Oct 25, 2010
@ LouisThoro, pls answer this so i can be sure u are good in asking questions

1.867 = 6.897, 7.4545=8.8766, 0.78666=4.65567, 6.0002 = ?  tongue

Which day did webmasters section turn into question and answer section for great programmers?  grin
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 25, 2010
Interestingly enough .NET seem to be loads faster than php. Though i am still yet to do any project with asp.net, but these dayz since i had to go back to programming with vb.net, i just though it might be a great idea to take a look at asp.net - and its fun too.
Coding daylight hours is not a really good way to describe efficiency. Generally, the actual hours of coding i work these dayz is not up to 5 hours again per day.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 25, 2010
@lojik yeah enterprise applications obviously requires more level of codes, am just trying to illustrate the point that few codes in less time and could generate a good result but 18hours is alright some code the whole day.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 25, 2010
Lojik, don't conclude that we that spend few hours(Maximum 7 Hours) don't know what we are doing.

Let me point a fact to you. I spend over 14 Hours online. Researching patterns for applications i build, ahead of the next day. So when i code, i actually spend less.

Maybe you stay off research and spend like 3 hours analyzing systems! I also do analysis of pattern. That's obviously on the go. Or while eating in a fast food. It works like magic! Rather than analyze while looking at codes and call it part of my coding hours.

Those who call my line during the 7 hours, know i am offline! Absolutely. So my 7 hours maximum may be much more comprehensive than your 18 hours where you chat and code at the same time calling it "Multithreading"

@DHTML. Gbam!
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by DualCore1: 10:24am On Oct 25, 2010
I dont time myself when working so I'll just drop a bit of info on how I work. I am not really disciplined with work so I cant sit myself down anywhere to do anything for so so so number of hours. I just do the thing. . . sometimes for even more hours than I woulda imagined.

Waking hours (from 3am)
Face carried over bugs, if any.
Arrange my todo list using Windows 7's Sticky Notes.

Morning:
Face the most tasking jobs for the day.
Draw up storyboards, UMLs and do other planning.

Mid Day:
Face the coding jobs with lighter need for brain power

Afternoon:
Face the coding jobs with little or no brain power required.

Evening:
Time to CSS. I draw up my layout (css, xhtml, php) and mail the graphics pro (ogzille) dimensions for my banners.

Night: Time to take one babe out to the movies  grin. Different babes for different movie nights out. smiley

Mid Night:
Server admin mode - Linux (time to do penguins).  cool

This pretty much describes my daily cycle. Its not very strict however. Some days I could break down and be so out of sync with work.

From experience I have seen that bugs I hit at night with no seeming way around them are grilled with relative ease once I wake up the next morning. There are however some bugs that you just can't leave for sleep because they will torment you in your sleep.

P.S: Thinking aloud: LoiusThoru removed his/her gender, 

Lojik, your wife suppose don disconnect something or super glue something for your machine! Bro I see you online even at 2am shocked tongue
I see Quadrillo at such weird hours too.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Youngichou(m): 11:47am On Oct 25, 2010
6HOURS DAILY PHP/ MySQL data base
saturday and sunday css/html reviews
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:17pm On Oct 25, 2010
u guys must be vibrantly young grin I guess i must be getting old, I only code (software/web apps) on request and it must involve a lot of money (at least over N500k) and it must be sell-able to hundreds of Nigerians for an affordable (quarterly subscription) cost. the rest of my time is spent, learning the guitar and sequencing loops on FL or studying reusable components in .NET rather than facing the rigor of implementing the feature from scratch. in all at least 2hrs in one week grin
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by DualCore1: 12:39pm On Oct 25, 2010
^^ I want to be like you when I'm grown  grin grin
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by ohaechesi(m): 12:52pm On Oct 25, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

u guys must be vibrantly young grin I guess i must be getting old, I only code (software/web apps) on request and it must involve a lot of money (at least over N500k) and it must be sell-able to hundreds of Nigerians for an affordable (quarterly subscription) cost. the rest of my time is spent, learning the guitar and sequencing loops on FL or studying reusable components in .NET rather than facing the rigor of implementing the feature from scratch. in all at least 2hrs in one week grin

you are very correct grin
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by holydante(m): 1:03pm On Oct 25, 2010
geez, like i stepped into a genie factory . grin grin ;Dam just consulting online encarta to really understand all these. its fascinating tho grin
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by ginowine: 1:35pm On Oct 25, 2010
wow its cool to know that we have such great numbers of hard coders in naija. Listen developed worlds, we are coming right at yah backs and we are coming fast.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by gozzilla(m): 2:16pm On Oct 25, 2010
If the guys that built this library you use that make you code for less hour do code for less hour like your all, the internet will still be in the 90's. Make no mistake about it, long hours of coding does not equate efficiency, but it certainly equates innovation.

Its a great attribute of a programmer, laziness, but it is also the signs of a dying programmer. Contradictons you might say.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Steps To Creating A Database Using Wampserver / Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? / Zoom Initiates Real-time Translation For 12 Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.