Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,690 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:40 PM

How long do you code a day(Hours) - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How long do you code a day(Hours) (9453 Views)

[source Code] A Program That Solves A Transportation Problem - By Frank UMEADI / How To Code A Basic Twitter Clone With PHP / How To Code A Script That Can Send Email? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 25, 2010
@Largerback abi largerwhenindoubt,

Two hours. God that made me laugh out loud, Your a genius then!

@Dual. You are dead right. Quadri na withcraft coder. The guy no get time schedule! You can't say when he will be online! I bet him dey take break for Abuja, that's why he is currently not seeing this! grin grin grin

@Gozilla. True!
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by javalove(m): 3:08pm On Oct 25, 2010
Those saying if you code the whole day means you are not a good programmer are talking rubbish!!!!!

Coding for me is a job, a hobby and it makes me feel happy. . .

I don't calculate hours of code, I calculate hours I spend on Modules or project. . .

Maybe the title of the thread is a bit misleading. . .

It depends on what kind of project you are working on. . .If the project requires you to code all day, so be it. . .

I don't set how many hours I should spend coding in a day, I set what and what modules of my project I need yo finish before a given period of time. .

Sometimes, I don't even feel like coding at all!!!!!. . .I might not code for up to 3 or 4 days. . .It just happens. , and I spend those times either at the cinemas, bowling alleys or if i'm in naija hang out around the hood with my friends. . .

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by fxmaxony(m): 3:54pm On Oct 25, 2010
though, I am not Idle but i have little doing but when I have something, I discovered most projects scripts abound free/shareware somewhere on line.

Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by quadrillio(m): 3:57pm On Oct 25, 2010
Depending on how the week is and what project am handling.

Normal week 30+ hours per week. (even without any project)

Weeks with many deadlines to meet. 60+ hours. (currently time)

When am on BREAK, 10+ hours weekly. (no mind me, d thing be like food for me nio)

- SAFE
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by rukatech: 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2010
@Posters,
If you are based in the east coast (MD, VA, DC, DE, PA, NJ) of US and you are interested in a
development project as a partner or freelancer, please leave your contact information. Not a web-based project.
Experience in C#, vb.net, and MS SQL required. You must know how to integrate voice recording
and play black for hand-held device and/or desktop applications.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Mobinga: 4:11pm On Oct 25, 2010
It depends on what you are working on.
Sometimes I code all day and sometimes I just sit back and play Modern Warfare 2 cool
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by quadrillio(m): 4:17pm On Oct 25, 2010
Dual Core:

I see Quadrillo at such weird hours too.

WEIRD? I call that normal business time for a coder LOL  grin  grin  grin, no interuption of any kind (since I don't pick night calls, I always tell her that I make enough money in d night so I could call her in d day  grin )

Donpuzo:

@Dual. You are dead right. Quadri na withcraft coder. The guy no get time schedule! You can't say when he will be online! I bet him dey take break for Abuja, that's why he is currently not seeing this!  grin grin grin

ACTUALLY, I was redesigning my website. No break till December.  grin  grin  grin

- SAFE
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Crysallis(m): 4:23pm On Oct 25, 2010
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 25, 2010
Does anyone here know how to run scripts? I had someone who gave me a bad ass script on demand, just in a few minutes. Anyone here know how's to work that, cos i don't believe in coding anymore.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by DualCore1: 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2010
rotffl
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by shockreaction(m): 5:33pm On Oct 25, 2010
Some days, 3 hours. Some days, 12. Some days, 16. It all depends on how much work I feel like doing in a particular day. Obviously, I take breaks during marathon sessions, but all I think about during those breaks is the code I'm working on.

However, marathon sessions result in headaches which make me unable to solve simple math problems until after I sleep. :/
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by bomly(f): 6:09pm On Oct 25, 2010
I do a little coding, ah hour daily and then I fall asleep
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by buzugee(m): 6:11pm On Oct 25, 2010
what is coding ? and how easy is it for a layman like me to code ? and do you guys get paid alot for this coding ? how much does coding pay ?

i have always respected guys in IT. i tried to get into it but i couldnt hack it so i went back to the medical field. i tried getting into oracle database. sql plus, plsql, and etc etc. nearly blew my brain apart. i believe special people are made to be programmers. tis not for everyone.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 25, 2010
@Bomny. Under what platform?? I mean language?
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Phate07(m): 7:20pm On Oct 25, 2010

This reminds me of a little fun project i did while in school. I wrote a simple but powerful virus in vbscript. I placed it in my flash drive and created an Autorun file pointing to it through wscript.exe.
I'll then give the drive out to 'friends'. And the little monster will ofcourse do its work. Then they come to me to set their systems right, for a fee. grin
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Sprumbaba: 7:38pm On Oct 25, 2010
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by frisavic(m): 8:33pm On Oct 25, 2010
u guyz have greatly inspired me, im a young programmer who is still learnin vb.net and asp.net, i tend to b lazy wif d fing but nw oooo i dnt fink i will be nymore knowin pplw code for 6 hours and abve,
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2010
young programmer, you are most welcome. I am becoming an old programmer by the day. . . .or is it called older?
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by atampakoeg(f): 10:24pm On Oct 25, 2010
how can someone say they code in html? or write html codes?
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 25, 2010
atampakoeg:

What is a code?
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by DualCore1: 10:42pm On Oct 25, 2010
atampakoeg:

What should they say? They design html? All these dreamweaver spoiled pipz angry
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by atampakoeg(f): 10:45pm On Oct 25, 2010
Code HTML? Bill Gates will be worried. Either you dont know what you are doing or you dont know what is available. Abeg, no bully me, say your own, i say my own. tongue
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by DualCore1: 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2010
Don't worry bro, you are not to be blamed. I blame it on the fact that this is on NL's frontpage so we should expect to see a lot of really weird things in here.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 25, 2010
atampakoeg:

Code HTML? Bill Gates will be worried. Either you dont know what you are doing or you dont know what is available. Abeg, no bully me, say your own, i say my own. tongue

My brother. Ur moving off topic.

Google code. Among the result you will see HTML there. Why because HTML is regarded as code! Though it should be called Tags!

The matter is standard is declining! Some years back, code was strict to hard languages in bytes and shits like that!
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by atampakoeg(f): 11:26pm On Oct 25, 2010
Na so.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 25, 2010
Someone just had a sex change. So what's the 411??
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by fallguy(m): 5:48am On Oct 26, 2010
i code in bouts.

given a programming problem.
i'd spend say -- 50 percent of time - doing idle browsing. ebooks,articles etc.
(this is a distraction i can't shake off)

>> writing test codes -- testing concepts. (the main research aspect is done here)

>> time away from the computer - thinking on the problem.
(cracking the logic ) this is the fun but abstract part.
i find it far easier to code a solution if i've cracked the logic to it.
write out the logic sequence - i don't use uml or flowcharts - just
english and my own diagrams.

>> debugging -- this is the pain in the arse -- debugging makes actual
coding time seem like peanuts.

>> skivving - going for days /weeks without coding again.
[wanna break this habit too ]

given 10hrs of electricity.

coding (test codes,debugging,integrating) -- 4hours
idle browse -- 4 - 5hours
thinking -- 1hr
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by birdman(m): 7:12am On Oct 26, 2010
If you use .NET, you really aren't a programmer, at least not in the traditional sense. You really are a "bare-metal" web designer. The guys designing the .NET libraries would be called programmers. They would have to worry about memory leaks, speed, code reusability and refactoring and a ton of other issues you ccare little about. They might even right portions of the graphics libraries in assembly for performance. That how you spend 8-16 hours a day programming.
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by xoxogg(f): 8:07am On Oct 26, 2010
birdman:

If you use .NET, you really aren't a programmer, at least not in the traditional sense. You really are a "bare-metal" web designer.  The guys designing the .NET libraries would be called programmers. They would have to worry about memory leaks, speed, code reusability and refactoring and a ton of other issues you ccare little about.  They might even right portions of the graphics libraries in assembly for performance. That how you spend 8-16 hours a day programming.

I use .net , infact i'm a core microsoft(Asp.net, vb.net, sqlserver) person, though i am now working on my first php/mysql  project. Think of it this way, i'm working with a deadline and really the most important aspect to me is meeting the requirements on time, i don't wanna waste time rewriting codes which may eventually be bug ridden n have some loopholes that would take you a 12-18hours dailywhile to clear up already available in the .net library. My policy as a programmer is to reuse as much as i can. .Net helps you reduce the coding but doesn't really do the job for you because we also write codes. Really the most important thing to me is delivery of the correct software on time, so i use .net and write my codes also. Albeit i average 3-4 hours coding and limitless amount of time debugging.  About the bold, NO i use .net but i write codes, i stay awake @nite trying to find solutions for my logic problems, i dream of my codes.

http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/2008/08/31/DevelopersUsingLibrariesIsNotASignOfWeakness.aspx

I am new on NL n very happy to have older programmers to interact with. Now i have an additional place to discuss whenever those bugs refuse to die
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by DualCore1: 8:52am On Oct 26, 2010
Donpuzo, thanks for the thread. If you dunno what I mean, don't ask grin
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 26, 2010
I know Mr Dual grin grin grin

My friend. The bible says where a prophet work na him e go chop!

@xoxo . I was about learning .net but with birdman's points and you also making reference to my PHP, i am thinking of learning something else!

So how good is this .net?

@Dual [size=1pt]Don't try me, i could be a terrorist at times! My Grand Father is from Bayelsa, a word is enough for a wise coder![/size]
Re: How long do you code a day(Hours) by atampakoeg(f): 9:03am On Oct 26, 2010
fake programmers. 16 hours coding, 15 hours on NairaLand.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Steps To Creating A Database Using Wampserver / Zoom Initiates Real-time Translation For 12 Languages / How To Post To Your Blog From A Java Phone Or Blackberry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.