Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,133 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Developing An Effective Personality - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Developing An Effective Personality (3214 Views)

Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control / 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist By Buda / 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Developing An Effective Personality by Joagbaje(m): 7:31am On Oct 25, 2010
Acts 1:8
But you shall receive power (ability, efficiency, and might) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, ( AMP).

Often, people ask how they can become more effective in their work or in life generally; they want to know how to develop an effective personality. Well, irrespective of the job you do, God wants you to be an effective person, not just at your job, or in restricted areas of your life but all-round. If you’re an effective person, you’ll be effective in anything. That’s why you have to develop an effective personality.

The Holy Spirit living in you already gives you the advantage, for we read in our opening verse that “…you shall receive power (ability, efficiency (or effectiveness), and might) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you…” It’s one thing to have or receive something, but another thing to recognize, cultivate it and put it to work. So how then do you develop yourself into an effective personality, having received the Holy Spirit? Firstly, be focused. Maintain a clear focus on the goal, target or task at hand. If it’s your job, an assignment or special project, whatever it is, have a clear focus.

Secondly, have a good understanding of the subject matter; understand the job definition and requirements for the project or task and everything that has to do with your expectations. In other words, know what needs to be done, and the results expected. Then thirdly, have a clear determination for the real success – lasting success. You’ve got to be determined, motivated, challenged and driven by the joy of success.

Then, fourthly, corresponding action; you’ve got to act. You can’t lazy away and expect things to work; you must take the necessary action. Those who win in life in any field are those who take action, so take the necessary action. Then finally, be consistent and diligent! Stick with the task at hand. Stay on the job till it’s done; don’t make or accept excuses for failure. Refuse mundanity and choose to be absolutely proficient. And then of course, recognize and take advantage of the wisdom of God that’s available to you in Christ Jesus. If you’d put all these to work, you’ll be effective and successful in what you do.

Confession
Christ is my wisdom therefore I’m wise, I have the wisdom to do whatever I need to do. I function today at my best potentials because the wisdom of God works in me, talking through me, leading me, guiding and causing me to be effective and productive in everything I lay my hands to do, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Further Study
John 15:8
Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

John 15:16
Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Daily Scripture Reading
1 Year Bible            2 Timothy 1
Reading plan            Isaiah 64-66

2 Year Bible            Hebrews 12:14-29
Reading Plan           Ezekiel 24

Rhapsody of Realities Pastor Chris Oyakhilome
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Jenwitemi(m): 3:04pm On Oct 25, 2010
How can anyone have an "effective personality" when they have no belief in one's own self and abilities. It is quite bizarre to hear a adherent and proponent of a religion whose doctrines and goal is to strip man of all his self-belief in order for it to stay relevant, talk about developing effective personalities in human beings. What a fraud!
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by KunleOshob(m): 4:42pm On Oct 25, 2010
Jenwitemi:

How can anyone have an "effective personality" when they have no belief in one's own self and abilities. It is quite bizarre to hear a adherent and proponent of a religion whose doctrines and goal is to strip man of all his self-belief in order for it to stay relevant, talk about developing effective personalities in human beings. What a fraud!

Pastor joe needs his congregation customers to develop themselves so they can increase their ability to make money thereby enusring that his church enjoys an increased income of tithes, offerings, seed sowing and first fruits.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by debosky(m): 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2010
Jenwitemi:

Did you bother to even read the post before going off half cocked?

You don't need to believe in your own abilities before you can have an 'effective personality'.

I might feel confident and bold because I know my dad's wealth is more than sufficient to meet my needs, without having any special abilities myself.

To denounce something as a fraud without examining the details of the post shows a lack of reasoning capability.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Jenwitemi(m): 11:51pm On Oct 25, 2010
debosky:

Yes, i did, and it is completely bollucks. Which was why i made the comment.

debosky:

You don't need to believe in your own abilities before you can have an 'effective personality'.
No kidding! What exactly do you need?

debosky:

I might feel confident and bold because I know my dad's wealth is more than sufficient to meet my needs, without having any special abilities myself.
Hmmm! What can i say about this statement? I am totally speechless, gobsmacked! shocked No wonder you are a christian. Yoruba adage, "Agbojulogun fira e foshi ta"

debosky:

To denounce something as a fraud without examining the details of the post shows a lack of reasoning capability.
I did, and that was why i declared it as a total FRAUD. And i still do.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Joagbaje(m): 7:35am On Oct 26, 2010
@ debosky
debosky:

Thanks o, I'm surprise why some people are just hasty to post something before they read .
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Zikkyy(m): 10:32am On Oct 26, 2010
Joagbaje:

So how then do you develop yourself into an effective personality, having received the Holy Spirit? Firstly, be focused. Maintain a clear focus on the goal, target or task at hand. If it’s your job, an assignment or special project, whatever it is, have a clear focus.

What has HS got to do with focus in the workplace? Please explain. A lot of people achieved desired focus without the Holy Spirit. By this I mean non Christians. So what’s the message here?

Joagbaje:

Secondly, have a good understanding of the subject matter; understand the job definition and requirements for the project or task and everything that has to do with your expectations. In other words, know what needs to be done, and the results expected.

Once again, I like to ask, what has HS got to do with understanding your job function?

Joagbaje:

Then thirdly, have a clear determination for the real success – lasting success. You’ve got to be determined, motivated, challenged and driven by the joy of success.

Then, fourthly, corresponding action; you’ve got to act. You can’t lazy away and expect things to work; you must take the necessary action. Those who win in life in any field are those who take action, so take the necessary action.

Are you trying to sell the HS as a form of performance enhancer? If you are, i think your approach is all wrong.

Jo, I advise that you stick to fleecing the flock. That’s one area I know you can excel. BTW I am still waiting for your thread on finance, I believe that will be more interesting.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Enigma(m): 10:42am On Oct 26, 2010
Zikkyy:
. . .
Jo, I advise that you stick to fleecing the flock. That’s one area I know you can excel. BTW I am still waiting for your thread on finance, I believe that will be more interesting.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Wicked! Totally funny!
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by debosky(m): 11:01am On Oct 26, 2010
Zikkyy:

What has HS got to do with focus in the workplace? Please explain. A lot of people achieved desired focus without the Holy Spirit. By this I mean non Christians. So what’s the message here?

First of all I need to ask - are you a Christian or not? If not, then ignore the rest of my post.

People have achieved all sorts of things without the Holy Spirit alright, but that does not in any way negate the power given to Christians by the Holy Spirit to excel.

Once again, I like to ask, what has HS got to do with understanding your job function?

Going back to the old testament, we have accounts of Daniel being bestowed with an 'excellent spirit' and this resulting in excellence at his 'job function'.

Daniel 6:3 Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit [was] in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm

Are you trying to sell the HS as a form of performance enhancer? If you are, i think your approach is all wrong.

The Holy Spirit gives power - Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Power by definition is The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively. So if the Holy Spirit gives you power, he enables you to perform effectively.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by KunleOshob(m): 12:02pm On Oct 26, 2010
I advise that you stick to fleecing the flock. That’s one area I know you can excel. BTW I am still waiting for your thread on finance, I believe that will be more interesting.

@zikky
This is actually a thread on finance, pastor joe is talking about personal development here with the aim of "empowering" people to develop themselvesand increase their output which would translate to increased finance. It is part of the strategies of properity gospel pimps.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Zikkyy(m): 12:35pm On Oct 26, 2010
Don’t get me wrong Debosky, I am not trying to do way with the impact of the Almighty in our everyday living. I believe having a job in the first instance cannot just be attributed to my ability. It just that I believe we must be careful in the message we pass across when we preach because of varying interpretations.

debosky:

Power by definition is The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.

I don’t know where you got the 'effectively' bit from. But that’s not my concern at this time.

debosky:

People have achieved all sorts of things without the Holy Spirit alright, but that does not in any way negate the power given to Christians by the Holy Spirit to excel.

Excel in what? How? Its good you define what you mean by excel. My concern here is how you link your quote from Acts 1:8 to activities at the workplace.

debosky:

Going back to the old testament, we have accounts of Daniel being bestowed with an 'excellent spirit' and this resulting in excellence at his 'job function'.

Daniel 6:3 Then this Daniel was preferred above the presidents and princes, because an excellent spirit [was] in him; and the king thought to set him over the whole realm

I don’t know what Daniel’s job function was, but let me ask this; As an Accountant, what is it that tells me I have to issue a cheque payment after (30days) for supplies already consumed by the company? I thought my education and detailed job description when I got the job provided that info? I believe that by being filled with the spirit I know I should not collect egunje from the supplier before releasing his cheque?
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by debosky(m): 1:50pm On Oct 26, 2010
Zikkyy:

Don’t get me wrong Debosky, I am not trying to do way with the impact of the Almighty in our everyday living. I believe having a job in the first instance cannot just be attributed to my ability. It just that I believe we must be careful in the message we pass across when we preach because of varying interpretations.

I agree completely - I don't propose doing away with personal responsibility, but recognising the power of the Spirit in our daily lives.

I don’t know where you got the 'effectively' bit from. But that’s not my concern at this time.

What I quoted was the standard definition of power - I didn't invent it.

Excel in what? How? Its good you define what you mean by excel. My concern here is how you link your quote from Acts 1:8 to activities at the workplace.

I did not do a direct linkage - the Spirit provides power - ability to act effectively, i.e. to achieve/exceed the set goal in a particular endeavour. I do not believe this power is limited only to 'spiritual' affairs.

I don’t know what Daniel’s job function was,

He was an administrator in the government of the Persians - it was a wholly secular job and not a 'spiritual' activity.

but let me ask this; As an Accountant, what is it that tells me I have to issue a cheque payment after (30days) for supplies already consumed by the company? I thought my education and detailed job description when I got the job provided that info? I believe that by being filled with the spirit I know I should not collect egunje from the supplier before releasing his cheque?

Collecting bribes is against the will of God - if you have the Spirit in you, He will help you resist the urge to sin.

Beyond your example, Daniel's account shows us how the power of the Spirit can take us beyond the ordinary levels of achievement and I believe that is what the original poster was getting at.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Zikkyy(m): 2:54pm On Oct 26, 2010
debosky:

Collecting bribes is against the will of God - if you have the Spirit in you, He will help you resist the urge to sin.

Thank you sir, now that will be the power of the holy spirit at work.

debosky:

Beyond your example, Daniel's account shows us how the power of the Spirit can take us beyond the ordinary levels of achievement

I knew Daniel was an administrator, what I don’t know is what the administrative function entails. Daniel could have been successful because he has the fear of God in him, because he was fair in his decisions, because he conducted his activities in a manner that was pleasing in the sight of the Almighty. I just don’t know. I made my initial statement so as to avoid talking about Daniel. But I will say in response to your post above that the focus of our message should be how the power of the spirit takes us beyond the ordinary levels of achievement. Jo’s sermon/motivational talk did not go beyond the ordinary, and that was why I told him to stick to what he does best.

debosky:

I believe that is what the original poster was getting at.

It was a weak attempt. It’s not compulsory that pastors be motivational speakers as well (especially in the areas of business). Taking one of the generally accepted approach to personal effectiveness (already being practiced by Christians, moslems, hindu, sango worshippers, e.t.c), then attempt weaving in a spiritual angle is a no brainer if you ask me.  If you must do motivational talks, please do so, and if you must preach the gospel, it’s still fine. If you must mix both, you need to have the right ingredients.

Oga Jo, no vex, I had to ‘hit’ you on this one. With your manipulation skillz, I believe you can do better  angry I don’t see how you could have ‘confused’ a ram with the poor quality of your opening post  grin So now that we are good, kindly confirm this is not the thread on finance.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by debosky(m): 3:26pm On Oct 26, 2010
^^ If you have other issues with the poster feel free to deal with them.

I was simply looking at the content of his post and voicing my opinion, not on any preconceived ideas (rightly or wrongly) about the OP.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Joagbaje(m): 8:42am On Oct 27, 2010
debosky:

First of all I need to ask - are you a Christian or not? If not, then ignore the rest of my post.

The Holy Spirit gives power - Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Power by definition is The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively. So if the Holy Spirit gives you power, he enables you to perform effectively. 

This should be clear enough for a Christian . I think the problem is spiritual blindness. If a person hasn't received the holy spirit , he can't understand spiritual things.

1 Corinthians 2:14
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know[ them], because they are spiritually discerned. 

@zikky
Zikkyy:

Why don't you just humble yourself and do a study on the holy spirit. He makes a man excel beyond natural abilities .
Supernaturan knowledge, supernatural strength, supernatural wealth.( MONEEEEY)! . Supernatural wisdom etc. Read about men of old.

Psalms 18:29-34
29 For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall. .

33 He maketh my feet like hinds'[ feet], and setteth me upon my high places.

34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

Psalms 119:98-100
98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they[ are] ever with me.

99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies[ are] my meditation.

100 I understand more than the ancients( old men) because I keep thy precepts.

The strength of Samson was by the holyspirit, he was not a macho man or a giant as portrayed in some children bible. Without the holyspirit , you are a natural human being.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Zikkyy(m): 9:50am On Oct 27, 2010
Joagbaje:

@zikky
Why don't you just humble yourself and do a study on the holy spirit. He makes a man excel beyond natural abilities .

Debosky got the gist, it was never about what the spirit can or cannot do for you, but I can see you are still having difficulty understanding this. For your status, the quality of your sermon was just not good enough. Motivational talk is not for you Jo.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by nuclearboy(m): 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2010
Joagbaje:

This should be clear enough for a Christian . I think the problem is spiritual blindness. If a person hasn't received the holy spirit , he can't understand spiritual things.

1 Corinthians 2:14
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know[ them], because they are spiritually discerned.

@zikky
Supernaturan knowledge, supernatural strength, supernatural wealth.( MONEEEEY)! . Supernatural wisdom etc. Read about men of old.

Psalms 18:29-34
29 For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall. .

33 He maketh my feet like hinds'[ feet], and setteth me upon my high places.

34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

Psalms 119:98-100
98 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they[ are] ever with me.

99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies[ are] my meditation.

100 I understand more than the ancients( old men) because I keep thy precepts.

The strength of Samson was by the holyspirit, he was not a macho man or a giant as portrayed in some children bible. Without the holyspirit , you are a natural human being.

Thats the bottom line, abi? lipsrsealed

So why didn't you just spare us all the hullabaloo above and go straight to the point. You start to seem desperate. Why not just launch an appeal fund towards whatever your desire is for now angry
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Joagbaje(m): 7:59am On Oct 29, 2010
nuclearboy:

Thats the bottom line, abi? lipsrsealed

So why didn't you just spare us all the hullabaloo above and go straight to the point. You start to seem desperate. Why not just launch an appeal fund towards whatever your desire is for now angry

What has your post got to do with developing effective personality or the holyspirit?
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by debosky(m): 10:44am On Oct 29, 2010
As a general comment, I find this 'witch hunt' practice distasteful. I know people have issues with Joeagbaje's beliefs in certain areas, but that doesn't mean personalities should be continuously attacked while ignoring the crux of the current message.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming a person is wrong all of the time because you've disagreed on previous issues. There is merit in letting people know that the Holy Spirit can provide the ability to be effective at what they do - don't let your previous clashes distract from that message.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by nuclearboy(m): 2:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
@Debosky:

Lets break down the above -

[1] Decide what you want
[2] Focus on it
[3] Concentrate
[4] Work

Did you ever read Norman Vincent Pearle? Did you ever take an exam? Did you ever decide to lose weight? Did you ever make up your mind to go after the darling of your heart? So please tell me - whats the difference between what you did and whats above? Or was it the HS when you were in high school (before becoming Christian)? Or the HS that helped you lose weight etc?

You're right I've had issues with Jo in the past. But you're wrong that this is a witch-hunt. Often when you post, one can see the wisdom of God in what you write. It is YOU writing. Jo is not like that - he is a pen in the hands of another person. That is the first problem. Then comes the issue of motive. The above is a sale, a means of getting acolytes/customers. He is selling CE. But church ought not be sold. Then comes the meat of the post itself.

When God empowers, He does it for a reason and He can allow the gift to be dormant for a season. That is wisdom. And it is because He sees the end. I am positive such has occured to you. It is called "Thy will be done on earth". When the time/season comes, it will manifest. The above pushes us in another direction. With it, we're not looking at God's sovereign plan/design but rather at what we wish. But it is couched in "Chritianese". This is just the power of positive thinking, not HS empowerment.

HS empowerment comes from simply realising you have divine support and trusting in that, rather than trusting in the ability supposedly now INNATE in you and using such for whatever you desire.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by PastorAIO: 2:09pm On Oct 29, 2010
debosky:

As a general comment, I find this 'witch hunt' practice distasteful. I know people have issues with Joeagbaje's beliefs in certain areas, but that doesn't mean personalities should be continuously attacked while ignoring the crux of the current message.

Don't fall into the trap of assuming a person is wrong all of the time because you've disagreed on previous issues. There is merit in letting people know that the Holy Spirit can provide the ability to be effective at what they do - don't let your previous clashes distract from that message.

yes o! I totally agree. Focus on the issues.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by debosky(m): 2:14pm On Oct 29, 2010
@ nuclearboy

I see your point, however I have to add a note of caution - the Holy Spirit can still empower and help, even in the so called mundane tasks such as passing exams and the like. Yes we have to work, God has said we should work, but there is an ability beyond your work that the HS can bestow.

Back to Joe, I personally don't see any 'church marketing' in this particular post, or maybe I'm just being naive. You do have a point that this ability from the Holy Spirit is to achieve God's purposes first and foremost, not just a means to get what I want. That distinction needs to be made to prevent Christianity becoming just another 'method' for having a good life.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by nuclearboy(m): 2:31pm On Oct 29, 2010
@debosky:

I am certain of having received such help of the Spirit of God myself and so have no issues with what you just stated.

It is the insidiousness and gentle shift from God's Will to Your will that first struck me here. Then the credits - Anita Oyakilome which has now been changed to Chris Oyakilome. So tell me why the change (not of the words but of the author)? So who's the brilliant preacher? And what would that brilliance suggest if not his "glorification" and a sale? Seemingly condemnatory words but, ,

One last thing - The Apostles had the empowerment of the Spirit and used it to develop the Kingdom of God, not acquire cash. When you read the above, do you get ANY sense of applicability to the spiritual? Did not Christ say His kingdom was not of this world? I repeat - do you get the faintest slightest inkling when reading the above of its applicability to the Kingdom of God? Motive/intent are in my estimation, what makes things right or wrong.
Re: Developing An Effective Personality by Joagbaje(m): 4:11am On Oct 31, 2010
nuclearboy:

@debosky:

I am certain of having received such help of the Spirit of God myself and so have no issues with what you just stated.

It is the insidiousness and gentle shift from God's Will to Your will that first struck me here. Then the credits - Anita Oyakilome which has now been changed to Chris Oyakilome. So tell me why the change (not of the words but of the author)? So who's the brilliant preacher? And what would that brilliance suggest if not his "glorification" and a sale? Seemingly condemnatory words but, ,

One last thing - The Apostles had the empowerment of the Spirit and used it to develop the Kingdom of God, not acquire cash. When you read the above, do you get ANY sense of applicability to the spiritual? Did not Christ say His kingdom was not of this world? I repeat - do you get the faintest slightest inkling when reading the above of its applicability to the Kingdom of God? Motive/intent are in my estimation, what makes things right or wrong.

So what's your point.

(1) (Reply)

Christ Embassy Launches Yookos 2.1 / Celestial Church Of Christ- Orin Emi / Shocking! Popular Pastor Anselm Madubuko Confesses Adultery With K-solos Ex Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.