Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,530 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:19 PM

2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition (4404 Views)

PDP Members Who Sabotaged Jonathan’s Ambition Will Be Exposed / Nigeria: Jonathan's Ambition, A Threat To Igbo Presidency - Udenta O. Udenta / Akpabio Meets Obasanjo Over Jonathan’s Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 25, 2010
2011: Fresh row over Jonathan’s ambition
Font size: Our Reporter 25/10/2010 02:45:00
Ciroma
A former Minister of Information Chief Edwin Clark yesterday condemned a Co-Convener of the Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF) Mallam Adamu Ciroma for mobilising the North against President Goodluck Jonathan.

He also described Ciroma as a political lightweight whose influence is no threat to President Goodluck Jonathan’s ambition.

Clark asked Nigerians to give Jonathan a chance in 2011 as he would only spend a single term of four years in office.

Clark, who made his views known in an open letter to Ciroma in Abuja , said the utterances of the ex-Minister of Finance were capable of causing the disintegration of the country.

He asked the NPLF to drop its selfish agitations for the emergence of a Northerner as President in 2011.

Ciroma and members of the NPLF are currently consulting and mobilising key Northerners on the need for the presentation of a consensus candidate in 2011 against Jonathan.

But Clark described Ciroma and other leaders’ shuttle as “unwarranted, purposeless and selfish.”

He said: “From all that I have said, it is apparent that you cannot really claim that you are fighting for the Northern interest. You are rather using Northern sentiments to create a problem as you did in the past when you were a leader of the Kaduna Mafia

“My dear friend, I appeal to you to place Nigeria first and not to promote your personal interests, at the expense of a strong, united country in which all sections or political zones are treated equally.

“What decent and true patriotic Nigerians are asking for is a single term of four years for Jonathan in order to complete the eight-year term of the joint ticket of the late President Umaru Yar’Adua and himself.

He pleaded with Ciroma to have a rethink and drop his ethnic agitations.

Clark added: “I plead with you again as I have done in the recent past, both at your residence and at the Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Centre, Abuja to drop these unwarranted, purposeless and selfish agitations and participate in the building of a new progressive, all-inclusive Nigeria.

“Finally, I repeat, I sincerely appeal to you as an Elder statesman to join hands with other Nigerians to build a strong and united Nigeria free from political, religious and tribal discrimination.”

The ex-Minister said the Southsouth is still ready for discussion and negotiation with the North on 2011 poll.

He said: “The South-South Elders, who met with your group at the Shehu Yar’Adua Centre on Thursday 16th September, 2010 are still ready to discuss with you in the interest of unity and stability of our great country.”

Notwithstanding, Clark said he is seeking rapprochement with Ciroma as a matter of courtesy and in the interest of the country because Ciroma is a “political lightweight.”

Clark reminded Ciroma that he had not added value to the electoral fortunes of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) since 1999.

He added: “I want to also remind you, my dear friend, that in 1999 when Chief Olusegun Obasanjo became the President, the whole of North-West except Kano and Kaduna States voted against the PDP.

“Also recall that Kebbi, Sokoto, Jigawa and Zamfara states voted for ANPP, while your own North-East zone including Yobe State and your own town, Potiskum, voted for the opposition ANPP like Borno State.

“It was the South-South, the Middle Belt and the South-East that voted for PDP. Yet, you were appointed Minister of Finance without contributing to the election of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo.

“With or without your vote, other well-meaning progressive Northerners who contributed largely to Jonathan becoming Acting President, and eventually President, will definitely vote for him.

On Ciroma’s comments on October 1 bomb explosions, Clark said: “I had always regarded you as an intelligent, mature statesman but your statement on the bomb blast exposes you as an empty, narrow-minded and self-centred bigot, with no restraint in viscous outbursts.

“Hence you could attempt to convert a major national calamity into political comedy.

Clark listed six major crises which the nation witnessed during the administrations of ex-President Shehu Shagari; ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo; and ex-President Umaru Yar’Adua.

“As an unrepentant ethnic chauvinist, you went insulting Mr. President, calling him all sorts of names in your unprincipled pretence at defending the North. I know, for a fact, that you are not the leader of the North.”

Clark said contrary to Ciroma’s call, Jonathan won’t resign.

He said: “My dear friend, I find it most difficult to believe that you callously, with disrespect called on Mr. President to resign on the phantom claim that Nigerians have lost confidence in him. Also your threat to mobilise northern legislators to impeach Mr. President if he does not resign has received more than expected ire from Nigerians. “Sadly enough, even those you thought you can persuade to commence impeachment proceedings treated your contemptuous statement with disdain. Your demonstration of ignorance of parliamentary procedure was palpable since you have never won elections in your life.

“I need to let you know that President Goodluck Jonathan does not discriminate against the North. His primary concern is delivering the dividends of democracy to all parts of the country as well as protecting the lives and properties of very citizen.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by asha80(m): 5:27pm On Oct 25, 2010
It seems there would soon be a political clash between so called 'northern elites' and 'south south elites'.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 25, 2010
It is better to end the slavery ones and for all joo
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by TORDOO(m): 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2010
Who is talking rubish,clark is the one,as you are supporting gej now,why cant u allow ciroma to support who he want,or is clark afraid of ciroma;clark should know that kingmakers in nigerian politics are from the north,he should ask obj and mko/babagana kingibe
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2010
TORDOO:

Who is talking rubish,clark is the one,as you are supporting gej now,why cant u allow ciroma to support who he want,or is clark afraid of ciroma;clark should know that kingmakers in nigerian politics are from the north,he should ask obj and mko/babagana kingibe

it is time to end the nonsense you are talking about,the best brains are in the south,we need the best people to lead,not blind people,They could not tranform anything for many years
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Abagworo(m): 5:55pm On Oct 25, 2010
Clarke has no moral justification to comment on this issue because his track record displays the worst of ethnic bigotry.He fought so hard to prevent Odili from becoming President just because he is Igbo.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by chosen04(f): 5:57pm On Oct 25, 2010
olas2u:

Clark, who made his views known in an open letter to Ciroma in Abuja , said the utterances of the ex-Minister of Finance were capable of causing the disintegration of the country.

If the utterances of ONE MAN is capable of causing the disintegration of Nigeria, Then its becoming obvious to every one that the actual disintegration is not far of.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by TORDOO(m): 9:26pm On Oct 25, 2010
Try to understand between best brain and political kingmakers;i no dat d south professors dat contribute nothing 2 dis country,they cant even produce a common razor blade,i do not understand the best brain u are talking about pls,
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by excanny: 10:25pm On Oct 25, 2010
Let's just sit, relax and watch as the Battle of the SS/Northern Titans begins.

This political clash is getting interesting as the days go by.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2010
I do not support zoning
I also do not like ethnic groups picking consensus candidates before elections
Because what ciroma is looking for may not be what the rest of us want
So I disapprove of what chroma is doing

But Edwin Clarke is one of the most ridiculous persons u can ever know
Please who is it up to to determine whose ambition is selfish and whose is not
Are we saying if yaradua were alive nobody will run against him in 2011?
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by MaiSuya(m): 11:47pm On Oct 25, 2010
olas2u:

He said: “My dear friend, I find it most difficult to believe that you callously, with disrespect called on Mr. President to resign on the phantom claim that Nigerians have lost confidence in him. Also your threat to mobilise northern legislators to impeach Mr. President if he does not resign has received more than expected ire from Nigerians. “Sadly enough, even those you thought you can persuade to commence impeachment proceedings treated your contemptuous statement with disdain. Your demonstration of ignorance of parliamentary procedure was palpable since you have never won elections in your life. 

On Ciroma’s comments on October 1 bomb explosions, Clark said: “I had always regarded you as an intelligent, mature statesman but your statement on the bomb blast exposes you as an empty, narrow-minded and self-centred bigot, with no restraint in viscous outbursts.

He said: “From all that I have said, it is apparent that you cannot really claim that you are fighting for the Northern interest. You are rather using Northern sentiments to create a problem as you did in the past when you were a leader of the Kaduna Mafia
  shocked shocked

Kai!!  See yabis! Typical NL bashing fashion. . .who knows, he may have picked a line or two from here. . .
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Osama10(m): 11:50pm On Oct 25, 2010
I wonder why all these arguments of Northern Candidate versus Southern Candidates, why cant we just split up so that the North can rule themselves well and the South the same thing.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by mensdept: 12:04am On Oct 26, 2010
Well we obviously dont need a monster by the name of Edwin Clark to tell us what we already know. In fact he prob was reading Nairaland comments on that Ciroma Says thread.

If I were to give him an inch of credit, it would be that he at least is standing up to not just a political lightweight, but a bigtime Northern politician. This is at least a good change because it is those same Northerners that made him and who he has over the years been happily married to at the expense of his Southern brethren.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by olafolarin(m): 12:47am On Oct 26, 2010
In as mi h as I don't. Personally like Edwin Clark for his anti-Igbo stance,he did he right thing by putting Ciroma in his rightful place-DUSTBIN.
Ciroma Is a recycled sycophant who lives fat on our purse.
Let the North produce a concensus candidate and let's see how that will
transform to winning votes in SE,SS,SW,NC and North East.
The entire Yar'Adua clan are now supporting GEJ.
May God purnish Ciroma and that his brown "goro" teeth.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Osama10(m): 1:01am On Oct 26, 2010
olafolarin:

In as mi h as I don't. Personally like Edwin Clark for his anti-Igbo stance,he did he right thing by putting Ciroma in his rightful place-DUSTBIN.
Ciroma Is a recycled sycophant who lives fat on our purse.
Let the North produce a concensus candidate and let's see how that will
transform to winning votes in SE,SS,SW,NC and North East.
The entire Yar'Adua clan are now supporting GEJ.
May God purnish Ciroma and that his brown "goro" teeth.

I laugh in Spanish. grin
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by TORDOO(m): 9:10am On Oct 26, 2010
Dirty,uneducated,recycle sychophant,blind people,we the north rule since independent,while you guys were busy producing unproductive professors,how does that concern us,i still maintain that,when it come to politics leave that to northern political gladiators;gej cannot even win an election into bayelsa state govt house,u guys should wake up
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by monkeyleg: 2:18pm On Oct 26, 2010
Whilst I am no support of GEJ. Adamu should go and rest. He has hung around politics like a bad smell, and it is time he find any honour left and go and rest.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2010
Well said Chief Clark
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by kettykin: 9:42pm On Oct 26, 2010
In as much as I don't think the SS is a match for the north in the event the politics continues in the battle field, but what really can the north do except use inflated population to influence politics and also invite Arabs and north africans in the event of war.

The result of sudan referendum will ultimately determine nigeria's future.

Something tells me the CIA knew this long ago.

The north should make its hays while the sun is shining , your time is running out. Invest in human capital, dredge river niger, make friends with neighbouring tribes because the inevitable is not so far off.

If soviet union can disintegrate , roman and ottoman empire dis membered then no force will save nigeria.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by reubeno(m): 12:03pm On Oct 27, 2010
Clark and adamu are both disillusioned elites, they should please leave the scene of politics for the young breed.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by OCCULTIST(m): 12:04pm On Oct 27, 2010
when is the war between north and south south going to start grin grin grin grin grin grin we are watching with keen interest
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by udokpuenyi(m): 12:13pm On Oct 27, 2010
Why not we end  the palaver of this Nigeria once and for all, let the north and south go their different ways and let each rule itself without much problem. Our co-existence has continued to be our greatest burden and yet we deceptively kept on carrying it to the detriment of our development and advancement as a nation. Why not we let go our problem  and be happy
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Abuse: 12:27pm On Oct 27, 2010
Edwin Clarke seats down in delta state and be harassing Northern elders on the pages of the news media's.I have learnt to stop listening to some bunch of elders because they are got free education and they cannot think better than does who payed school fees. He might end up ruining GEJ.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by bisiaet: 12:47pm On Oct 27, 2010
I dont really see much to this face-of or flying of words between the two of them or whoever because this issue is settled since when Gej was given the ticket to contest and so be it. All other things should be left till primary election that's all. Talking today till tomorrow or exchanging fierce words would not stop anybody from contesting the election so I just see all these rantS, shout and cry as a wasting of ones time.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Ericology(m): 12:49pm On Oct 27, 2010
Abuse:

Edwin Clarke seats down in delta state and be harassing Northern elders on the pages of the news media's.I have learnt to stop listening to some bunch of elders because they are got free education and they cannot think better than does who payed school fees. He might end up ruining GEJ.

Exactly, Clark is definitely not the right person to comment on ethnic politics, hes a champion of that,
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by chakula: 1:07pm On Oct 27, 2010
Another complete disorder and cunfusion post.
OCCULTIST:

when is the war between north and south south going to start grin grin grin grin grin grin we are watching with keen interest
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by zionic(m): 1:15pm On Oct 27, 2010
Ciroma dey waste time, soon EFCC will catch up with him, is 9ja all about nothern leaders?, cant a minority rule anymore?, if na to break up then so be it, i tire self !
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by daroz(m): 1:22pm On Oct 27, 2010
OCCULTIST:

the war is definately inevitable. Infact, the earlier the better. Let the our Militant get ready, and the Boko harrams be get set. Lets see the ones with the most sophisticated weapons cool
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Guyman02: 1:23pm On Oct 27, 2010
reubeno:

Clark and adamu are both disillusioned elites, they should please leave the scene of politics for the young breed.
We want to hear from the Fasholas and Chimes not this recycled bigots. In short make we organise boxing match for the two of them with only one rule (No one comes out from the ring alive) grin grin grin so that they can go to their early already late grave.

Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Abagworo(m): 1:34pm On Oct 27, 2010
zionic:

Ciroma dey waste time, soon EFCC will catch up with him, is 9ja all about nothern leaders?, cant a minority rule anymore?, if na to break up then so be it, i tire self !

You are one of those who do not know that Gowon,IBB and Abacha are from minority ethnic groups.Visit your library first before coming to make baseless comments.
Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by Guyman02: 1:55pm On Oct 27, 2010
Federal govt can make more money from a fight like this than that being planned for old man Bash Ali. The title of the bout should be 'Clark vs Ciroma - Kill and Die, Thriller in Jonathan' grin grin grin

Re: 2011: Fresh Row Over Jonathan’s Ambition by tolu001: 2:21pm On Oct 27, 2010
@ post Look at two mad men telling each other "you are mad"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Major Gen. Isa Army Director Of Public Relations On Containing Boko Haram - Live / Aba To Shut Down As Ojukwu’s Body Arrives Feb 28 / Are Nigerians Cannibal? Even In The 21st Century?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.