Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant (46531 Views)

Recycling Plant And Recycling Company Needed To Buy Waste Plastic Bottle / How To Start A Waste Management And Recycling Company / Aluminium Recycling Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Seun(m): 5:52am On May 17, 2007
abelix: How do I start a waste management and waste recycling plant in Nigeria? Who has an idea?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Waxxy(m): 7:24pm On May 20, 2007
i like the idea of a waste mgt plant. Good thinking.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by DisGuy: 7:44pm On May 20, 2007
the recyling bit will be difficult

It usually goes with collecting(supply),Sorting, distributing(selling) and then recycling orselling the products

-You can make arrangements with Nite clubs,sport club,schools,churches,banks and offices for collection of recycleable products [glass,bottles,paper and plastic stachets]

-If can arrange to go to clubs,banks and offices everyday and maybe twice a week to schools and churches for collection.

-if the products are not gathered separately, then you will need a warehouse where people will be employed to sort the products- paper(white,brown, mixed paper),plastic(PET, rolled plastic)glass(according to colour or those you are selling to) and so on

-package it then sell it to coca-cola,breweries, paper mills, and so on .Some local goverment buy the products/metric tonnes  wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by sexychica: 1:11am On May 21, 2007
very interesting coz im actually doing a case study on exportation of waste paper to asia since we do not have waste recycling plants here.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by naijacutee(f): 2:42am On May 21, 2007
I've thought about this for years. . . The more you think about it, the more you spot intricacies you might not have otherwise have thought of before - and which you cannot ignore. For example, to collect waste, you need to have a plan of how to effectively eliminate it without doing more harm than good enviromentally. For petty kitchen waste, animal waste etc, compost is a good idea if properly packaged and resold to farmers. This would be cheaper for them, and more beneficial to the end consumer as organic food contains less harmful toxins. But again, we can't be too sure about that unless you can find out an effective way to carry out tests for toxicity on every waste sample. These ae the sort of challenges I have spotted so far but let's see what everyone comes up with.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by zhia2000(f): 10:22am On May 21, 2007
very good idea. i'm interested if you want a partner or a technical adviser. i've been working in this sector in the UK for 2yrs+.

I have also written waste management strategy plans for local authorities in the UK.

if you're interested i can send you a draft plan- this can give you an idea of how to plan, collect, sort and manage waste which is the first step.

2ndly, you need to know the nature and size of the waste you would process (in terms of tonnage,volume per day) then you can think of baling, sorting, compacting and grinding equipment.

Composting is relatively easy especially in the 9jan climate and temperature. but for large scale u need a large area and make sure it's outside towns/cities. the smell is horrendous.

and i also have excerpts of duty-of-care legislations (english) by my understanding it's quite similar to the 9ja one.

8 Likes

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abelix(m): 10:31am On May 21, 2007
thanks ma name is tunji and i hope to start the business in abuja pls mail the stufs to ma e mail addy ajaolode@yahoo.com,
i really appreciate it .
actually i posted this question but the obantala deleted it wit bad belle ,
ta

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by iyewuna(f): 5:24pm On May 21, 2007
zhia2000:

very good idea. i'm interested if you want a partner or a technical adviser. i've been working in this sector in the UK for 2yrs+.

I have also written waste management strategy plans for local authorities in the UK.

if you're interested i can send you a draft plan- this can give you an idea of how to plan, collect, sort and manage waste which is the first step.

2ndly, you need to know the nature and size of the waste you would process (in terms of tonnage,volume per day) then you can think of baling, sorting, compacting and grinding equipment.

Composting is relatively easy especially in the 9jan climate and temperature. but for large scale u need a large area and make sure it's outside towns/cities. the smell is horrendous.

and i also have excerpts of duty-of-care legislations (english) by my understanding it's quite similar to the Nigeria one.

hi zhia my friend and i want 2 start up dis same biz in benue state. pls i wld really appreciate it if u can send me the draft plan cos we r confused abt starting my e mail addy is estheriyalla@yahoo.com. tanxs lot
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Waxxy(m): 5:52pm On May 21, 2007
@Disguy,
i dont think it would be as difficult as it seems. Collection is a tricky issue as u cannot get Nigerians to sort out waste as we do here, even some of us are forced to do so by threats from borough officials

But remember that labour is cheap in Nigeria compared to the UK so employing people to do all the work would not be much of a hassle.

my main worry is the machinery to carry out the project. If i am correct, a cardboard compactor/ bailer alone cost my firm about £250,000 (about 63 million Naira), and you would probably still need a  polythene bailing machine etc

@Zhia2000,
could you please elucidate on your research on local recycling strategies, will it be functional in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by DisGuy: 5:59pm On May 21, 2007
I understand that, what i meant was actually the part where you produce new products from the old ones.That part where you collected and sort it is quite straightforward and relatively cheap considering labour cost.

The manufacturing bit is the problem. huge amount of money can be made from selling the sorted materials to companies or lg govt if there are arrangements for that.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abelix(m): 9:25am On May 22, 2007
actually ,waste recycling is possible in naija if you can just start with the not to hard stuffs like paper vegetable peels et al, you would realise that this are easy items to recycle and compost ,but the problem is how to evecuate the refuse in lagos they use this rickety vehicles that would probably pollute the enviroment the more and spill most of the refuse before they get to the destination ,
what i am looking at is how to get cheap vehicles that can fit naija roads and get the job done
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abelix(m): 9:27am On May 22, 2007
also who has anything on incinerators and how workable is the construction in naija ,pls you guys abroad should be explicit about this
thanks
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abelix(m): 9:30am On May 22, 2007
zhia2000
i need a partner and if you are intrested pls let me know
ta
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by osereka(m): 11:12am On May 22, 2007
seun
  something good must come out of this discussion u can see that everybody is interested  home and abroad so what can we really do to make waste management  a labour employer in naija? it will help to take care of a very large number of un employed nigerians
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by AlRaheem(m): 8:09pm On May 22, 2007
ok
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by ibdikko: 3:14pm On May 23, 2007
ZHIA2000 lps i wld like to start d biz in gombe. pls can u mail d stuff to me?y mail address is talktoibom@yahoo.com thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Rlst84sale(m): 8:32pm On May 23, 2007
I think all of us that are in business should pull funds together and embark on a project like this and execute it nationawide in Naija. I strongly believe it can be successful. There is a problem I just notice there right now, that selfish greed attitude of everyone saying I want to start it send me your draft. Why can't all of us come together make it a big project and execute it?. There will be enough for everybody we can create big employment.

4 Likes

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abelix(m): 7:46pm On May 24, 2007
okay
since this is your idea i e pooling rsources together let me work out a frame for whoever is interested and we can start from there ,
kaduna is like a pig sty and we are seriously looking into something that the government would like soo if you want hall abelix ajaolode@yahoo.com
it is impotant that is why you are seeing it
ta
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by meetgiwa: 9:02pm On May 24, 2007
its would be good business bros
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by skybaba(m): 1:39pm On May 25, 2007
Hmmm, sounds really cool.

Waste is something that both the rich and the poor generate, so with proper planning I believe you can do something really great!.
Good luck to you guys!!!!
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by finnyrolls(m): 7:20am On May 26, 2007
nice stuff, just browsing through lag d other day and tot of d amt of waste lying around and wat could b done with it. it's bound to yield some good stuff, just do ur homework well, like u seem to be doing. keep it up
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by fashigiggs(m): 10:03am On May 26, 2007
Dis is to ZHIA2000 hello please i'm also intrested in starting such. Please send me the stuffs also as time goes on i will introduce you to my parthners and wil talk to them on making you our technical adviser. Wil be expecting your mail mine is (exponencial2002@yahoo.Com)[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by fashigiggs(m): 10:05am On May 26, 2007
Dis is to ZHIA2000 hello pls i'm also intrested in starting such. Pls send me the stuffs also as time goes on i will introduce you to my parthners and wil talk to them on making you our technical adviser. Wil be expecting ur mail mine is (exponencial2002@yahoo.Com)
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by kinks(f): 8:38am On May 27, 2007
Hi all, i am also very interested in the above topic, and am interested in partnering on the project.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by kinks(f): 8:49am On May 27, 2007
Hi all, i am also very interested in the above topic, and am interested in partnering on the project. my e-mail  address for further correspondence is bukinks@yahoo.com Thanks
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by wokiri(f): 2:43pm On May 27, 2007
hi zhia2000
i'd like to have a copy of your work on waste management too
you can send it to wokiri385@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by wokiri(f): 4:21pm On May 27, 2007
hi nairalanders
farmland required in of Abuja or Nasarawa state suitable for crops & animal Husbandry

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by wokiri(f): 4:30pm On May 27, 2007
hi nairalanders
Are You a forester, Horticulturist, agriculturist, or has knowledge of land use and cash crops? Then contact me on wokiri385@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by Rufme(m): 3:43am On May 28, 2007
Hi, Zhia2000.
Good to know that you already have experience on this.

I'm doing my masters degree on Environmental Engineering after which will be going into big time practise but I need people with experience to partner with.

Can you send me a your e-mail at: etidorufus@yahoo.com, let's talk.

Your e-mail is hidden.
Hope to hear from you.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abelix(m): 11:52am On May 28, 2007
suddenly everybody is interested in waste management projects pls only serious people should post message here i need the how not people who suddenly have a brain wave of money to be made from waste , pls i am serious about this .
thanks

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by fashigiggs(m): 7:41pm On May 28, 2007
HELLO, does anyone know any recycling company that is registered here in nigeria?
i need it urgently thanks.
Re: Starting A Waste Management And Recycling Plant by abelix(m): 9:15am On May 29, 2007
yes dia is one in aba abia state, i could get the addy for you if your are really interested
call me on 08069074334

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Men In Africa At The Start Of 2024 / Uche Ogah's Industrial Estate In Uturu, Abia (Photos) / Mayowa Olukehinde Of Breach Menders Unreachable After Collecting ₦50 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.