Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader (9713 Views)

Traders Celebrating After Receiving Trader Moni In Ibadan (Photos) / Osinbajo Launches Trader Moni In Calabar (Photos) / Trader Moni: Two Million Nigerians To Get Collateral Free Loans In Buhari's Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Oluwabash(m): 3:54am On Sep 18, 2019
According to the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN) the number of MSMEs in Nigeria is at 37 million, employing 59 million persons contributing over 70% of the active labor force. That means over a quarter of our population are involved in small and medium scale businesses. And they are mostly artisans, petty traders and the likes. Of this large number, 43% fail due to lack of funds for daily sustenance or consistent sales and 38% do not grow beyond their initial start-up level. A major challenge of these businesses is they cannot meet the basic requirement of obtaining loans at commercial banks, and even when they do, they do not possess sufficient collateral for these loans. Research shows that the availability of microcredit facilities is one key step to boosting economies of developing countries like Nigeria. Yet this has not been the case, as credit facilities have in most instances been channelled to the high and mighty businesses.

Nigeria’s Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo is oft heard saying that one the objectives of his administration is to invest in the lives of its people, especially those at the bottom of the pyramid. The visible and rigorous efforts of the initiatives of the National Social Investment Programmes are telling of this intent. The Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme (GEEP) is one of the schemes of the Social Investment Programmes. Through its sub-schemes, TraderMoni and MarketMoni, financial support is provided through micro lending to micro scale traders. These schemes seek to promote financial inclusion at the grassroots, assisting petty traders with the financial support to conduct their respective businesses. They serve a dual purpose: an economic intervention to drive economic advancement at the grassroots, as well as a social impact project. The implication of this is that these schemes are set to improve the nation’s economy by first improving the daily living conditions its beneficiaries.

Two commonplace errors I have often come across when conversations on Trader Moni come about: one, the notion that 10,000 Naira can barely make an impact in a person’s life, let alone a household or a business and secondly, the possibility of the scheme to have significant impact on a national or global scale especially in the long term.

These notions are evince that the divide between Nigeria’s poor and rich is palpable; that while to some a loan of 10,000 may seem as paltry sum and even useless, to a large number - a silent majority - it may seem synonymous with oxygen. The imbalance in the conversation flows from the fact that those who control the spaces of conversations, those who write history and shape narratives are the elite minority who cannot fathom the logic of the impact of 10,000 Naira to a small business. To them this money would function to simply cater for petrol or recharge card.

The beneficiaries of the scheme mostly do not have a voice. They are not on social media. They do not have smart phones to explain their stories - and even when they do, they are not literate to tell it. They are not invited to the TV stations to comment on the effects of these loans - their best chances at having their voices known is when the Vice President takes a tour to assess the programme in markets. They cannot write opinion pieces on newspapers or blogs. Yet these are the men and women who form the majority - the silent majority.

Whether they have a voice or not, it does not take away their reality. Take for instance Mrs Agbo Mnenna Mercy who heartily shared her growth story of selling basins of corn to trading in bags; to Mrs Anyor Doshima, a petty trader in Wurunkum market, Benue State, who through Trader Moni was able to make an increase in the number of livestock she owned from 50 to 70; to Solomon Ogunwale a trader in Oja Oba market, Oyo State, who has expanded his blending business and has now employed a new staff.

These seemingly little changes in their businesses have culminated in increase in their purchasing power as well as improvements in their living standards, and even nutrition. The enormity of Nigerians in this economic demography is one of the reasons why it is detrimental for this vast number to remain underfunded or unassisted. The scheme addresses a pertinent challenge of citizens in this demography; accessing capital without the added pain of high interest rates and rigid collateral demands which before now, has prevented them from expanding their businesses and employing more labour. The ripple effect of the seemingly little, stretches as far as improving productivity among the disadvantaged population, decrease in inequality as more women are empowered financially, and the improvement in living standards triggering more economic activities across the nation.

The thousands of petty traders who have benefitted from these schemes are proof that they are working. And impacting on the socio-economic lives of its beneficiaries. They are paying back these loans too - to access higher loans to continue the expansion of their businesses. It is not a quick-fix that would end poverty in Nigeria overnight. Like many great initiatives consistency and diligence are needed to ensure that the schemes do not lose track.

It was Confucius who said that he who intends to move a mountain must first start by carrying little stones. The little impact of each loan given to a family adds to the greater impact that Nigeria needs to end poverty, no matter how slowly. With over two million loans disbursed so far, this lifelines have done more for the economy than many can ever fathom.

Akinloye James is the President of the Initiative to Save Democracy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by CodeTemplar: 4:04am On Sep 18, 2019
Vote buying scheme.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 18, 2019
Better than nothing.
Any profit is profit.
muderkid:
A lot of people condemning the 10k tradermoni smh, while the number of people begging for 1k giveaway keep skyrocketing. Truth is, the scheme is a good one if the money is disbursed to those who needs it.

Some people don't even need upto this amount to stay afloat.
True.
mercyvivv:
The fact that stands clear is that, those who believe #10,000 is too little a sum to make impact in the small business of a Nigerian trader, are not average Nigerians, no; they are above the poverty ladder, comfortable and quite dissociated from the events in the daily life of a typical Nigerian struggling trader. I personally know people who took the loan and invested I'm Ugu vegetable farming, today they are smiling to the bank.

Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and other resource. Check my signature for details.
So true.

10 Likes

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 18, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Vote buying scheme.
Keep wailing.
Wailers prefer the thieves they worship to rather use the money to buy jewelries worth $40 MILLION DOLLARS and ships worth BILLION of Naira along with houses worth BILLION of dollars in foreign land than the money being use to support small scale businesses.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by orunmila144: 6:28am On Sep 18, 2019
wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by generationz(f): 6:28am On Sep 18, 2019
angry
Take for instance Mrs Agbo Mnenna Mercy who heartily shared her growth story of selling basins of corn to trading in bags;

These people should lie small small na.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by XaintJoel20: 6:28am On Sep 18, 2019
The only department where Osinbajo is now relevant.

1 Like

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by 08064978510(m): 6:30am On Sep 18, 2019
A for
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Nobody: 6:30am On Sep 18, 2019
XaintJoel20:
Can you tell me ONE, just ONE department where your whatever sambo was relevant for the 6 years he was the VP of the ineffectual buffon?
He was so irrelevant that nobody even remember his first name anymore!

I am 1 million percent sure you have no reply to this.
Unscrupulous wailer.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by solmusdesigns: 6:32am On Sep 18, 2019
cool
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Ibrahim9090: 6:32am On Sep 18, 2019
Noted
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Qadaffi2idiamin: 6:33am On Sep 18, 2019
XaintJoel20:

The Fulani cow lord relieved him of his duty grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by chinchum(m): 6:34am On Sep 18, 2019
Well written. Most educated people are sadly disconnected with the reality of the massive bottom of the pyramid situation. How can someone who doesn't understand the dynamics of poverty reduce poverty? They are so out of touch and can't see beyond their noses.

I sincerely want to see the trader moni scheme succeed. It is a great scheme that can uplift millions out of poverty.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by iPrevail(m): 6:35am On Sep 18, 2019
Some of the people condemning this scheme are millionaires who won't loan you even #500. Traders need all the help they can get. Small? Yes.. but as a trader you never wish to get stuck or out of goods.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Vulcanheph(m): 6:36am On Sep 18, 2019
10k that Can't last someone up to one week.....
What can 10 k really buy in This Awful economy...Any body that wants to Quote me should please tell me What difference the money can make to a business now?......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by BarrElChapo(m): 6:36am On Sep 18, 2019
Bullcrap pure & simple !

1 Like

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Nobody: 6:36am On Sep 18, 2019
I don't understand how you people do calculations but if out of 36states only 100k traders got results from the scheme then it's still a failure..... Trust me... Is like saying unemployment in Nigeria is low because of Npower program.... Which is a lie

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 18, 2019
wailers condemning this scheme no go ever die better lailai.
They want it to be business as usual for the politicians to steal and loot this monies too, like the time when stealing was not corruption.
una no go die better, na me talk am

2 Likes

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by ikombe: 6:37am On Sep 18, 2019
Tokunbo treadmill and Ps4 Pro 1TB for sale

Location - Lagos, I can waybill outside lagos.

WhatsApp or call for more info
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Omojudy: 6:38am On Sep 18, 2019
One day I spoke to the petty trader in front of my house and asked her what she will add to her shop if she had someone borrow her 10k without interest to be pay N500 back every few days till she paid finish and if no issues it could be raised monthly. Well she names a few more food stuffs. I then offered her that loan. You need to see how happy she was. And she never failed payments willingly. I increased the amount monthly till I left that neighborhood. The sad thing is that the money never even made her stabilize. She was still back to her empty shop the last time I was in her neighborhood.

https://astrongnigerianwoman.com/2019/08/30/child-sexual-abuse-and-incest/

6 Likes

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Sonoyom(m): 6:38am On Sep 18, 2019
How many people have benefited from this scheme after the election?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by kehinde1588(m): 6:39am On Sep 18, 2019
Some people are just bitter and sad to see Osinbanjo doing well as Nigerian vice president.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by mercyvivv(f): 6:40am On Sep 18, 2019
The fact that stands clear is that, those who believe #10,000 is too little a sum to make impact in the small business of a Nigerian trader, are not average Nigerians, no; they are above the poverty ladder, comfortable and quite dissociated from the events in the daily life of a typical Nigerian struggling trader. I personally know people who took the loan and invested I'm Ugu vegetable farming, today they are smiling to the bank.

Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and other resource. Check my signature for details.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Vulcanheph(m): 6:41am On Sep 18, 2019
Sonoyom:
How many people have benefited from this scheme after the election?
Thats a very good question....
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Abalado(f): 6:41am On Sep 18, 2019
Deceit government, even the so called pastor Osunbade too has turned himself to lie Mohamed brother, he has forgotten what he do preached before he got to presidency
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Royalfurnitures: 6:44am On Sep 18, 2019
They give traders 10k as lifeline But feed their dogs with thousands. Wicked people

Check out my signature for quality and durable furniture for your homes and offices

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by amazon14: 6:44am On Sep 18, 2019
thariodamaniac:
I don't understand how you people do calculations but if out of 36states only 100k traders got results from the scheme then it's still a failure..... Trust me... Is like saying unemployment in Nigeria is low because of Npower program.... Which is a lie

That's what they are good at, lying. They believe we are without senses

1 Like

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by amazon14: 6:45am On Sep 18, 2019
thariodamaniac:

That's what they are good at, lying. They believe we are without senses.

Good morning

1 Like

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by munex007(m): 6:48am On Sep 18, 2019
I still don't understand why this administration cancel YouWin Program.

Its better you give an existing Business 10,000,000 naira than giving 1000 businesses 10,000 naira.. The former will have more effect in economy value chain and GDP.

Buhari communist ideology is anti business and killing the economy.

Buhari is a kind of leader you give him one bag of 50kg of flour, he won't return you bread,he won't return you Egg roll,He won't return you pizza

He will return you 40kg of same bag flour and will still be proud that he only lost 10kg due to flour theft not "living within their means".

He doesn't understand the psychology and principle of value and multiplicity .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Vulcanheph(m): 6:51am On Sep 18, 2019
mercyvivv:

Stop Lying
For You to Comfortably start up a small Petty trade in Nigeria You need nothing less than 30k and i'm not counting other small expenses like tax, Levies, transport etc.......so please try and remember that.
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 18, 2019
lorry load of trash!

can this satanic, insincere pastor give
his daughter #10k for biscuits, how much more start up capital /business? ..... hell no!

the shithole is doomed with diabolic /self serving rulers.
Re: TRADER MONI: Too Little To You. The Lifeline Of A Trader by Nggs121: 6:53am On Sep 18, 2019
Vulcanheph:

Stop Lying
For You to Comfortably start up a small Petty trade in Nigeria You need nothing less than 30k and i'm not counting other small expenses like tax, Levies, transport etc.......so please try and remember that.

Oga this is bullsh8 how does this little amount change anybody's life?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo Attack: Such Attitude Can Lead To Insurgency, Says Lawan / Importers Of Off-spec Petrol Must Be Held Accountable - Buhari / Photos From Service Of Songs For Yakowa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.