Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions (28456 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Igala People: Identify Urself's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by tausi(f): 8:21pm On Jan 02, 2011
Hmmm where do I start. I know there are other kenyans floating around in this forum, so please add to anything I say or correct me if I am wrong.

The largest tribe in kenya is the Kikuyus(Bantus who are thought to have originally migrated from central/west africa). I am a mixture of tribes. My dad is half luo(tribe from western kenya near lake Victoria) and half Kamba(tribe from eastern kenya) My mum was half Taita( from the coastal regions of kenya) and half Kikuyu(tribe from central Kenya). According to the Kenyan Culture(like most other african ones) I should really say I am Luo because you are supposed to take up your dads tribe and since my granddad was a pure luo then I should be just Luo! But as I said before I am a modern Kenyan, tribe isn't too much of a big deal.

The Maasai are the most famous in Kenya as you have noted because they are still very traditional. They are normads. One of my uncles who worked for the government once told me that they are the most resilient people to change and modernisation! There was a project aimed to modernise the Maasai and to settle them that apparently failed completely. They were offered large sums of money to sell there cows and build houses to live in but they refused. Having loads of cows is like a sign of might/wealth. They can be a menace though because during dry seasons they drive there herds to greener pastures which brings them to the city sometimes. I was told a story of how once during a drought they came to Nairobi and destroyed  a multi million golf course!!! It is also known that you can get yourself killed if you touch a Maasai's cow. Apparently they are fearless too and that is why in nairobi until recently most watchmen were Maasai(things are changing because criminals now have upgraded themselves from stones to guns).

The Maasai as far as I know generally are the only tribe in Kenya that still dress in their traditional attire at all times. Most tribes have adopted the western dressing style ( only dressing traditionally during special events like weddings) and I remember a few months back when I was in nairobi, I was queing in a bank with a maasai on the same line. You can also tell a Maasai from their ears. They normally have a big hole that can fit a cup in it. This is how they dress and look like:

Their dancing style is also unique in that it requires the men to jump as high as they can, and trust me they do jump really high! Due to their simplistic diet of meat, blood and milk they are generally really thin and tall. I guess thats why they are that springy/bouncy.  wink

You are all very welcome to visit Kenya. Come see the Maasai and enjoy a Safari and afterwards relax on the fine Mombasa beaches. grin

Question for Nigerians: Do you have Safari parks where you can see the big five in their natural habitat? I know not all African countries have this.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 12:06am On Jan 03, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Hello again.

Emofine, I would be very thankful if you please are so kind as to tell me how to quote from other postings.

Sure wink When you press the reply tab, you should be able to see a box where you insert your text. When you scroll down past the box you will see previous comments, and on the top right of each comment there's a little underlined tab reading 'insert quote'. You scroll down and click this tab depending on which particular comment you want to quote from - I hope that helped smiley

Alcofrybas:

1) About the Yoruba in Venezuela and the Americas: They practice their religion, known as Santería. Unfortunately, there are some not too enlightened folks who believe that the Yoruba people from the Americas are strange, evil, and that they even practice harmful witchcraft. In a few words, people who have the horrible habit of speaking too much about things of which they have no idea. I loathe such prejudices.

On the other hand, the great salsero Cheo Feliciano dedicated a hommage song to the Latin Americans of Yoruba ancestry. They listen to Afro-Cuban or Bazilian Music, along with their own traditional music, which they frequently play at parties and ceremonies. They are very peaceful persons.

Well even some 'enlightened' Nigerians label their own heritage 'witchcraft' or juju - it's a even a greater shame when people who are descendants of such great history disown it in the name of witchcraft.

I have heard of  Santeria in Cuba and Brazil and even Puerto Rico but never Venezuela - there should be more cultural exchange between Nigerians and South American particularly the Yorubas, that's if there isn't already.

I never knew Afro-Cuban music have links to Yoruba despite the Bata drummings thats  cool. You should post some if you can.

Alcofrybas:

2) About the drums: I like the Djembe, I own one, and yes, it's a great sounding drum. But honestly, I would rather play my Bougarabou any time. It's a cone shaped drum from Senegal, not too different in sound from the Nigerian Ashiko. It has a rich, fat, deep bass sound. When I play it near a Window, the glass trembles. Seriously it's a very powerful instrument. I love to play the bass tone with the left hand, while striking an Agogo with a drumstick in my right hand. Super duper combiation!.
The bata drums surely come from Nigeria, because they are played almost exclusively by american Yoruba people; each one has a particular name: Okonkolo, Itotele and Iya.

Those names do not sound too Spanish or Portuguese to me  grin
The talking drum is just fantastic. I really love to get so many different tones from a single drum. And apparently many people do so. No wonder why it is played everywhere from Nigeria to Senegal. Certainly the Djembe is the most popular African drum outside Africa, but perhaps the talking drum is the most popular drum in West Africa. Unfortunately there are no instructional DVD's for it. I try to mimic the drummers who play it in Youtube, but I'm afraid I am terribly bad at it. It's a very difficult drum to play. But I like it anyway.
And finally there's the Udu drum , ah, those magnificent "liquid" sounds. Fortunately, there are instructional DVD's for it.

I'm not too versed on music  embarassed but have you played a drum that looks like a calabash that has been turned upside down. Kinda like a bowl with the bottom facing the musician. The calabash looking drum is placed inside water so it floats on top of the water. I believe the Fulanis play this well I'm not to sure but I've seen Habib Koite or is it Baaba Maal play this beautiful instrument.
By the way I have never heard of some of these drums until now lol.

Alcofrybas:

3) I am working on finding African Percussion Teachers. As I said before, there are plenty of good instructional DVD's around, but there's nothing like a master drummer. I agree with you: Africans, and surely the Yoruba people, are the best percussionists and dancers in the world. You are born with rhythm. As far as I know, drums are the toys that African children get, if they ever get toys at all. A similar relationship is forged between Andalusian Gypsies and guitars. That's why they are the best guitar players in the world. I'll surely search for all the material I can in this website.

@ bolded yeah you have a point there have you seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g753Sv9sUM&feature=related

Alcofrybas:

4) About blunt bloggers: they are everywhere, in any country. They are the 21st century plague!. It's too easy to insult people behind a nick through the Internet. Shameful.
And finally, it's been very pleasing chatting with you. Your comments are very welcome anytime.
Kind regards.

True the internet transforms a mouse into a lion lol.

1 Like

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 12:17am On Jan 03, 2011
tausi:

Hmmm where do I start. I know there are other kenyans floating around in this forum, so please add to anything I say or correct me if I am wrong.

The largest tribe in kenya is the Kikuyus(Bantus who are thought to have originally migrated from central/west africa). I am a mixture of tribes. My dad is half luo(tribe from western kenya near lake Victoria) and half Kamba(tribe from eastern kenya) My mum was half Taita( from the coastal regions of kenya) and half Kikuyu(tribe from central Kenya). According to the Kenyan Culture(like most other african ones) I should really say I am Luo because you are supposed to take up your dads tribe and since my granddad was a pure luo then I should be just Luo! But as I said before I am a modern Kenyan, tribe isn't too much of a big deal.

That's good that means you are a FULL blooded Kenyan and you can't take sides since you have an encompassing heritage wink I think all Nigerians should mix until we filter 250+ ethnic groups into a single ethnic - lol I'm joking, I kinda get the feeling I'm asking for a whole torrent of abuse now tongue

tausi:

The Maasai are the most famous in Kenya as you have noted because they are still very traditional. They are normads. One of my uncles who worked for the government once told me that they are the most resilient people to change and modernisation! There was a project aimed to modernise the Maasai and to settle them that apparently failed completely. They were offered large sums of money to sell there cows and build houses to live in but they refused. Having loads of cows is like a sign of might/wealth. They can be a menace though because during dry seasons they drive there herds to greener pastures which brings them to the city sometimes. I was told a story of how once during a drought they came to Nairobi and destroyed  a multi million golf course!!! It is also known that you can get yourself killed if you touch a Maasai's cow. Apparently they are fearless too and that is why in nairobi until recently most watchmen were Maasai(things are changing because criminals now have upgraded themselves from stones to guns).

The Maasai as far as I know generally are the only tribe in Kenya that still dress in their traditional attire at all times. Most tribes have adopted the western dressing style ( only dressing traditionally during special events like weddings) and I remember a few months back when I was in nairobi, I was queing in a bank with a maasai on the same line. You can also tell a Maasai from their ears. They normally have a big hole that can fit a cup in it. This is how they dress and look like:

I would like to see some pics of how other Kenyans dress like smiley I don't believe I'm too familiar with how Kenyans dress minus the Maasais. LOL yeah you really can fit a cup through their ears, when I was younger I used to see these geography channels about the standard of beauty in Africa alot as if we're supposed to feel and say eeeww yuck - well I kinda feel that's how it was narrated and documented sometimes unless I was just being paranoid. The funny thing now is that many and I mean many young guys I see today bore a gigantic hole in their ear (not as big as the Maasis though wink )

These nomads are fearless, the way you have described the Maasais if you take away their name this is how Nigerians talk of the Fulanis - whom are also nomads. There seems to be friction with the pastorials and the people in urban societies as well but hopefully we will all live peacefully together one day smiley

tausi:

Their dancing style is also unique in that it requires the men to jump as high as they can, and trust me they do jump really high! Due to their simplistic diet of meat, blood and milk they are generally really thin and tall. I guess thats why they are that springy/bouncy.  wink
You are all very welcome to visit Kenya. Come see the Maasai and enjoy a Safari and afterwards relax on the fine Mombasa beaches. grin
Question for Nigerians: Do you have Safari parks where you can see the big five in their natural habitat? I know not all African countries have this.

The dance practices of the Maasai reminds me of a sub group of Fulanis the Wodaabes where beauty is central to their clan. The men hold beauty pagents - lucky girls  grin and they have to perform a special type of dance for hours and they are very tall and beautiful. They have a dairy diet also but they rarely eat meat unless they must or on special occasions as the cattles are their livelihood.

Oh are you residing in Kenya, if so what part?

You know I just researched the Big 5s now and I came up with: Lions, Leapords, Black Rhino, Elephant and Cape buffalo grin

I believe we have most if not all of those mentioned animals the thing with Nigeria or shall I say Nigerians is that we do not know how to maintain our resources. Nigeria actually has a blessed geography which encompasses the Deltas, tropics, jungles, Savannah, Sahel and Sahara Desert. Most people think Nigeria is all bush or either half sand half jungle lol.
There are many sites which could be used to open a safari but the most famous safari we have in Nigeria I believe is the Yankari game reserve. This is in Northern Nigeria which is blessed with many animals and large landscape but even Yankari is not maintained well.
Did you know that the biggest population of butterflies found in the world is in Eastern Nigeria, Calabar? It's such an unusal strange fact for such a troubled nation lol We also have some rare widelife that is only found in Nigeria or Cameroon like the drill monkey.

But I hope other Nigerians feel free to correct me I don't believe I'm the best expert in all things pertaining to Nigeria.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by tausi(f): 12:54am On Jan 03, 2011
emofine, I will get back to you tomorrow with more detail but no am currently not in Kenya. Lets just say that I am an Europian Nomad at the moment. I travel yearly to Kenya though, smiley  Its bedtime these sides so more tomorrow,  wink love the thread, cheesy learn so much,  cool ati (kenyan expression! Untranslatable) drill monkey? grin
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by mediatrix8(f): 2:52pm On Jan 03, 2011
lallafati:

I have been an avid reader on here for over a year now. I am originally from Congo but I was raised with a very open mind and with friends from all over the africa so truly most people can never guess until I tell them. I am panafricanist at heart and consider myself african before anything else (and more then specifically coming from a particular country).

My cultural contributions today, Lingala is the language mostly used in congo, its used as a venacular language for communication purposes (at the market etc etc) and is a watered-down and "frenchized" version of the original Lingala spoken Bangala people in the north of the country. There are over 400 dialects in kongo with 5 main tribes. My family is from the
Kongo or Bakongo (who speak kikongo) tribe which gaves its name to the country. We also belong to a smaller tribe inside the bigger kongo tribe, called the bayombe (and they speak kiyombe). Because we were first colonized by the portguguese alot of words derived or similar to portuguese words are part of lingala, kikongo and kiyombe.
Examples: In lingala we say mesa = table portuguese is mesa
sapatu = shoes sapato
kopo= cup/glass copo/copa
and some english, we say miliki for milk.

I'll come back with the bakongo/kongo tribe influences on brazilian culture and music as 40% of the slaves that entered brazil were kikongo speakers.

Happy New Year!!!

Wow , this is great,

FILIPINO Language "TAGALOG" has also some similarities with SPANISH LANGUAGE, take a look at some words I listed down:

Due to Spain's colonial rule of the Philippines, many words from Spanish were incorporated into the Tagalog language.

English Spanish Tagalog
automatic automatico awtomatiko
model modelo modelo
product producto produkto
presence presencia presensya
market mercado merkado
technology tecnologia teknolohiya
service servicio serbisyo
inventor inventor imbentor
generation generacion henerasyon
company compania kumpanya
apple manzana mansanas
sugar azucar asucal
pineapple pina pinya
pears pera peras
butter mantequilla mantequilya
meat carne karne
onion cebolla sibuyas
kitchen cocina kusina
window ventana bintana
garage garaje garahe
bed cama kama
telephone telefono telepono
bathroom bano banyo
radio radio radyo
television television telibisyon
cup taza tasa
knife cuchillo cuchilyo
spoon cuchara cuchara
glass vaso vaso
plate plato plato
lemon limon limon
ham jamon hamon
duck pato pato
margarine margarina margarina
chocolate chocolate chocolate
cantaloupe melon milon
avocado avocado abocado
saucer platito platito
blue azul asol
well bueno bueno
green verde berde
for para para sa
tiger tigre tigre
lion leon lion
horse caballo cabayo
traveler viajero biyahero
world mundo mundo
space espacio ispasiyo
place lugar lugar
distance distancia distansya
sure seguro sigurado
beer cerveza cerbesa
work trabajo trabaho
lucky suerte suwerte
handsome guapo gwapo
book libro libro
diary diario diyaryo
too much demasiado masyado
page pagina pahina
information informacion impormasyon
dangerous peligroso pelegroso
donation donacion donasyon
accident accidente aksidente
like (to like something) gustar (verb) gusto
reason razon rason
understand entender intindihan
teacher maestro/a maestro/a
politician politico politiko
member miembro membro
jealous celoso celos
gossiper chismoso/a chismoso/a
dictionary diccionario diksiyonaryo
student estudiante estudyante
age edad edad
church iglesia iglesya
itinerary itinerario itinerario
favorite favorito paborito
garden jardin hardin
corn mais mais
alcohol alcohol alkohol
hotel hotel otel
tobacco tabaco tabako
passport pasaporte pasaporte
ventilator ventilador bentilador
piano piano piyano
party fiesta piesta
\class clase klase
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by mediatrix8(f): 2:58pm On Jan 03, 2011
lallafati:

I have been an avid reader on here for over a year now. I am originally from Congo but I was raised with a very open mind and with friends from all over the africa so truly most people can never guess until I tell them. I am panafricanist at heart and consider myself african before anything else (and more then specifically coming from a particular country).

My cultural contributions today, Lingala is the language mostly used in congo, its used as a venacular language for communication purposes (at the market etc etc) and is a watered-down and "frenchized" version of the original Lingala spoken Bangala people in the north of the country. There are over 400 dialects in kongo with 5 main tribes. My family is from the
Kongo or Bakongo (who speak kikongo) tribe which gaves its name to the country. We also belong to a smaller tribe inside the bigger kongo tribe, called the bayombe (and they speak kiyombe). Because we were first colonized by the portguguese alot of words derived or similar to portuguese words are part of lingala, kikongo and kiyombe.
Examples: In lingala we say mesa = table portuguese is mesa
sapatu = shoes sapato
kopo= cup/glass copo/copa
and some english, we say miliki for milk.

I'll come back with the bakongo/kongo tribe influences on brazilian culture and music as 40% of the slaves that entered brazil were kikongo speakers.

Happy New Year!!!

we also say lamesa=Table
Sapatos=Shoes

hmnmm.good to know some language are similar, as I understand and speak some Spanish and understand Portuguese and Italian Language.If I will hear Lingala language in Congo I can probably understand some, hmmmm really good to know.Thanks for creating this thread.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by base11(f): 5:07pm On Jan 03, 2011
MzJamoGal:

Gee thanks!

Now for the words. I am too lazy to type them LOL plus I was banned on my MzDarkSkin i.d. for "spam like posts", so I am kind of weary about making long posts. Instead I have links for you to check out when you get the chance.

*Wikipedia is not always correct however I check out the words that they say we Jamaicans use, and they are correct for the most part, only we don't use "mumu" much. They also forgot to add "Labalaba" which for us is used to express "drama or over exaggeration".

EX: "Mi nuh inna di labalaba sinting/sitten" or "I am not into the drama".

One word they didn't explain is that fufu which is food for Africans for us is "foolish or dumb"

for example: "Mi nuh wa da fufu sitten deh!" or "I dont want that dumb thing." (fufu is sometimes written as "fool fool" in patois).

One Yoruba word I know for sure is "Bosi", for us it's "Boasy" which means "brag/boast/show off"  wink

"Di man dem boasy yu see?" or "See, those guys are show offs!"

*Somewhere down the line we used the same words but changed the meanings (fufu and labalaba for ex). The origins as listed on Wikipedia maybe questionable tho.  undecided

My sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_words_in_Jamaican_Patois

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34293.0.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Jamaican#Proverbs Igbo vs. Jamaican proverbs (INTERESTING!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people (see the regions with significant populations box  cheesy)

MORE TO COME. If you guys want to we can even exchange "lessons" lol in pidgin and patois! If you want to that is! In the meantime check those out!

@MzJamogurl, thanks a bunch, m so checking out hose links right now, its so nice to get one's knowledge expanded esp in such an interesting thread.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Alcofrybas(m): 11:45pm On Jan 03, 2011
Edit:

Dear fellow bloggers:

I'm afraid I wrote too many things not related to this topic, including certain details that I would rather keep to myself.

I hope you understand the reasons  for this modification.

Nothing personal. Seriously. You have been very kind to me.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by obenda(m): 1:14pm On Jan 04, 2011
Hello, I'm italian, male.

What do you want to know about Italy?
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 04, 2011
tausi:

Hmmm where do I start. I know there are other Kenyans floating around in this forum,  so please add to anything I say or correct me if I am wrong.

My dad is half Luo (tribe from western Kenya near lake Victoria) and half Kamba (tribe from eastern Kenya) My mum was half Taita (from the coastal regions of Kenya) and half Kikuyu( tribe from central Kenya). According to the Kenyan Culture (like most other African ones) I should really say I am Luo because you are supposed to take up your dads tribe and since my granddad was a pure Luo then I should be just Luo! But as I said before I am a modern Kenyan, tribe isn't too much of a big deal.

Hi Tausi, am a Kenyan nairalander damu. You sure are one hell of a Kenyan - Luo, Kamba, Taita and Kikuyu mixture??

About Swahili words such as "Meza" to mean "Table"; if I remember my history lessons too well, some Swahili words were coined from some Portuguese, some native Mijikenda and some Arabic words.
The following are some Swahili words that were coined from the Portuguese language:-
- "Askari" - Policeman
- "Sabuni" - Soap
- "Bafu"- Bathroom
- "Pesa" - Money
- "Leso" - Wrapper
- "Nanasi" - Pineapple
- "Kamisi" - Camisole

About Kenya, I'll be back, prepared with info on Kenya. Any questions?
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by sunch(m): 6:19pm On Jan 04, 2011
I've been outta town for the festival. I was amazed with the level of interractions and discussions, which has been very educative.
I've really missed tho.
I want to thank every one and those yet and contemplating coming up here, u just far too kind.
Pls feel free to bare ur mind on what u think we ought knw 'bout ur peops. Also we welcome all forms of questions directd to us Nigerians.
Love y' all
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Alcofrybas(m): 12:24am On Jan 05, 2011
Edit:

Dear fellow bloggers:

I'm afraid I wrote too many things not related to this topic, including certain details that I would rather keep to myself.

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 3:43am On Jan 05, 2011
Alcofrybas:

We like Afican music, particularly South African Music, which is internationally known and appreciated. Myriam Makeba and Hugh Masekela are famous worldwide. South African music has inspired many artists, from Juan Luis Guerra (Dominican Republic) to the legenday singer-songwriter Paul Simon, who recorded and entire album with Ladysmith Black Mambazo and other musicians from RSA in the mid-eighties.

Senegal's Youssou N'Dour is also crossing continental barriers.

Babatunde Olatunji is the most Famous Nigerian artist, at least among those who love jazz.

¿Could any one please be so kind as to recommend me other great Nigerian artists I could listen to?.

I love South African music but my favourite African music are from Senegal and Mali - so melodic and tranquil.

I haven't even heard of Babatunde Olatunji but I believe the most famous and possibly most known African musician was Fela Kuti - the pioneer of Afrobeat.

A few other Nigerian artist that might interest you are: King Sunny Ade, Mike Okri, Onyeka Onwenu (sp), Prince Mbarga (he's half Cameroonian) Femi kuti, Asa, Nneka, Sammy Okposo, Sunny okosun, Oliver de coque - I mentioned these specifically as most if not all of them have music influenced by their roots.

Another good artist - you probably are aware of her but she's from Ivory Coast not Nigeria. Her name is Dobet Gnahore.

P.S. I'm really tired so I could only give a quick reply I'll respond more in detail tomorrow

EDIT: I forgot to add Lagbaja as a list of Nigerian artists, oh silly me.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 05, 2011
emofine:

Another good artist - you probably are aware of her but she's from Ivory Coast not Nigeria. Her name is Dobet Gnahore.

Oh yes! You can say it again Emofine. I LOVE Dobet Gnahoré! kiss kiss Ever watched any of her live performances? SHE IS ELECTRIFYING! She came to Nairobi in 2008 to perform in a concert organized by Alliance Française de Nairobi. My favourite amongst her songs is "Abiani". Ever watched her dance to that song? Man! That girl can dance! She winds her waist like no man's business!

Long Live Dobet!
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by ajalio(f): 10:53am On Jan 05, 2011
Quote from: okooyinbo on December 28, 2010, 09:20 PM
@Iya JD
If I jamm (Germ) you, I will show you my Yoruba and Hessian German culture. Oder hast du noch nicht davon gehört, dass wir Hessen keinen Erbarmen kennen? LOL

I AM YORUBA BY BIRTH
GERMAN BY JAMMING

Sugbon sha, o so otito die nipa "law & order" ni Jamania. Carry go maami JD.;-)))

Übrigens: Wo biste beheimatet? Wenn in der Nähe von Kassel, dann würde ich dich zu einer Runde von perfektem Dinner mit "obe egunsi" und "eba" einladen. Ich kann auch alternativerweise Sauerkraut aus der Dose mit Pumpernickel servieren. Und Jemand behauptet wir hätten käne Kultur? LOL

Soll niemand sagen wir Deutschen hätten keinen Humor oder ist es der Yoruba in dir? LOL. . . .   No one should say we Germans have no humor or is it the Yoruba in you?

Quote from: MamaJD on December 28, 2010, 09:29 AM
@topic am from germany.we dont really have
culture we have rules and laws
Lol.

Kultur ist Sprache, Dichtung, Architektur, Musik, Theater und davon haben wir jede Menge.
Aber auch Dorffeste, Tanzgruppen, Trachten usw. die von Region zu Region variieren. Obwohl, dies ist so langsam am aussterben.
Religiöse Feste, heidnische Bräuche, auch das ist Kultur.

Culture is the language, poetry, architecture, music, theater and we have a lot of it.
But also village festivals, traditional dance groups, tradtional costumes etc. which vary from region to region, though
this is dwindling slowly.
Religious celebrations, pagan customs, also this is culture.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Iyineda(m): 6:16pm On Jan 05, 2011
Some great reads. Good to see people taking this thread seriously. smiley

As for me, well, I'm not sure if I qualify as a Nigerian or a non-Nigerian. I left my home country, Nigeria, before I turned 11. I've been living in France ever since. I am half British but have never lived in the UK. Some Nigerians tell me I'm too French and not Nigerian enough. The French think I am well integrated but I don't feel (entirely) French. Quite confusing really. undecided
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by ajalio(f): 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2011
@Toaskarity

I think what always saves us from deeper crisises is hour strong export sector. German goods, cars,
agricultural equipment, medical equipment and other machines are welcome everywhere.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 7:56pm On Jan 05, 2011
Good Girl:

Oh yes! You can say it again Emofine. I LOVE Dobet Gnahoré! kiss kiss Ever watched any of her live performances? SHE IS ELECTRIFYING! She came to Nairobi in 2008 to perform in a concert organized by Alliance Française de Nairobi. My favourite amongst her songs is "Abiani". Ever watched her dance to that song? Man! That girl can dance! She winds her waist like no man's business!

Long Live Dobet!

Yeah she is absolutely beautiful with a voice to match. At first I thought she was from Mali but I've never seen Malians dance like that they're a bit conservative - well the ones I know. And yep she can really dance as well as sing, I agree her voice is hypnotising. My sister said that her voice sounds like the waves of an ocean. I've never heard of 'Abiani' but I'm definately gonna check that out. I haven't seen her live unfortunately but her presence still rises from the screen whenever I watch her.
Ivory Coast is lucky to have her smiley
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Alcofrybas(m): 11:16pm On Jan 05, 2011
Edit:

Dear fellow bloggers:

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 1:49am On Jan 06, 2011
Alcofrybas:

P.S. If you don't mind my asking, I would like to know the meaning of "emofine". It's an intriguing nick.

It kinda sounds like I'm vain or I'm biggin' myself up embarassed I really wish I thought twice before employing it. Well you see I wasn't that imaginative and used an acronym of my name - don't guess it please I don't want people to suss me out on here grin - I thus used the first acronym that I thought of and it just so happened to have 'fine' as the last few words or maybe it's just a message from the gods or orishas grin

P.S. I already know of Santana he's one of my sister's favourite musicians smiley
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Alcofrybas(m): 2:36am On Jan 06, 2011
Edit:

Dear fellow bloggers:

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by drrionelli(m): 4:52am On Jan 06, 2011
@emofine:
Please forgive my failing to thank you, in a timely manner, for your translation of a previous post. Indeed, it is much appreciated, and you're very gracious to provide it for me!

In the time I've spent here, I've encountered a few delightful people who have helped me when it comes to translating the tongues of Nigeria to those with which I'm more familiar. Even though they are truly euphonious, my lack of familiarity with them leaves me unaware of what is meant by their marvelous manifestations of mellifluity.

Again, I thank you. Feel free to post in Pidgin if you wish--just remember to provide those of us who are less fortunate a translation!
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 7:00pm On Jan 06, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Great video!. Maybe you will like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0h6AJt0YI&feature=related

That child is so adorable kiss

Alcofrybas:

Now, I would like to share something with you.

Here's the original:

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhFyF8dvU4

And here's the cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACw2RIVZvZw&feature=related

I'm a terrible dancer grin , No seriously, I am kind of a two legged table grin , but I when listen to either one, I move cheesy!!!

Please tell me your opinion about these tracks.

P.S. Is there any translation for "Jin-Go-Lo-Ba"?

I loved this I couldn't stop playing this today. I find it funny and strange that while he resided in the States all that while he still remained faithful to his roots via his music. Even some Nigerian artists that have never left their backyards are mimicing a foreign tune.
I love both versions thanks for sharing smiley

Unfortunately I don't know what "Jin-Go-Lo-Ba" means - I'm not Yoruba.

P.S. Drrionelli, no problem wink
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 06, 2011
Igbo West Indians:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5vpDF2dUHc?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

Someone here is from Congo  cheesy, we have Congolese ancestry too as some of our ancestors who fought back the most were Angolan/Congolese. They were the most feared of all of the Africans brought to the Caribbean and South America. I will see if I can find out some info to share with you guys!  smiley
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Alcofrybas(m): 11:17pm On Jan 06, 2011
Edit:

Dear fellow bloggers:

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 5:43am On Jan 08, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Sure he is. He's quite a performer now  smiley

Now, here's a performance by a MASTER DRUMMER:

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYY4WhdlS2c&feature=related

He's 70!. Did you like the clip?.

I have seen another clip of the same man before and I am stll amazed by his skills despite his age and no matter how many times I replay it.

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed this this song. It's soooo catchy and contagious!.
You're right. He remained true to his roots, indeed. Master drummer, recording artist, and teacher, he had his own center of African Culture in N.Y., and some of the best jazz artists ever admired him very, very much.

Sorry grin. My mistake. I'll ask the meaning in a Youruba thread  smiley

My apologies for the delay sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkRGPDryo8

Amazing synchronization!. ¿Did you also like it this clip?. Very spontaneous  smiley.

P.S. If you have interesting links to share, please be so kind as to post them. I would be glad to share links that you might be interested in (there are many "hidden" treasures, and too little time to check them out!).

No my apologies for the delay sir sad How have you been?

I loved that clip, I feel as if I'm learning more about Nigeria from you than me teaching you about Nigeria - I suck at teaching tongue

I've already given you some artists to look up so Im not sure if you have heard or were able to find their music so I'll post a few of their classic work here:

Niger Delta
Mike Okri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lf3U4LSErM
Mike Okri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_rjT6IDC_w
Nneka Egbuna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6q9BMzaZQ
Nneka is a little more modern

Eastern Nigeria
Onyeka Onwenu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpLMnnbvb7E
Prince Nico Mbarga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mecNrIaWOA

Western Nigeria
Fela Kuti:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgewcFh-cg
Fela Kuti:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoAI8IrGpKk

I'm not sure if you have heard of these two songs above but I believe that they are probably he's most famous

King Sunny Ade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPi4pf0NGAI
Lagbaja:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpOzwVAQ7M8

Yoruba music is the most famous outside Nigeria smiley

Northern Nigeria
Jeremiah Gyang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrAwXW8KEQ

unfortunately Northern Nigerias music or the region altogether is not the most known.

If you want me to translate the pidgin I'll gladly do so but unfortunately I don't understand the other languages.

By the way,

¿Would you like to hear folk music from other ethnic groups in Nigeria?.
¿Would you like to talk about subjects other than music?. I think I've written too much about it.
Finally, have you posted a forum in which I could also chat?. This one is slowing down way too fast!.

Sorry for the zillion questions.  undecided I hope I'm not making you feel too uncomfortable.  embarassed

Kind regards

hehe it's ok I ask so many question myself wink

1) I don't mind talking about folk music from another ethnic group if you have some interesting information because as it is now I believe you are the teacher smiley

2)I would also like to talk about South America or where you have travelled to and how prominent the Yoruba culture is there and if they have any cultural exchange with eachother

3)Do you mean a thread or another forum - If it's a thread then I believe I created a thread a while back called 'catalogue of diversity' so we can discuss there or do you mean discuss certain matters privately because I don't know how to pm - remember I'm a technophobe.cheesy Or do you mean to discuss in another site because this one is loading slowly?

P.S. It's always a pleasure to talk to you so I'm not uncomfortable smiley

Bit in red.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Stocker123(m): 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2011
YOU GUYS CANNOT HELP IT, IT MUST BE IN YOUR BLOOD

Please correct me if I am wrong. I have had many Nigerian friends over the years, and I only met one who was a honest man. Not because it was his personality, just because he was too scared of GOD. He was one of those born again christians

Anyways back to my story,

I am american (white) but I live in Europe. I have had 2 very close (many years) Nigerian friends who both fuked me.

I gave one of your BROTHERS the chance of a lifetime to do a car export thing from the EU. Everything went fine the first 2 times. Now the stories have started, in the end, he ran with 20,000usd of my hard earned money. He might think everything is fine but I am in contact with a very good lawyer in Lagos and I will find of where he lives since I have all of his real information. I will sue him in Nigerian court. I know i will probably not get my money back, but I will be happy knowing that his family will suffer for the rest of their lives. I will make him go to court every week if I must. Money is of no problem on my side. He will soon find out that 20,000 will not last forever. I hope his wife, mother, children, and grandchildren have to suffer.

I will also do everything in my power to get his Shengen Visa revoked. He is a convicted drug smuggler in Switzerland but his Visa country (greece) does not know about it. I will even have lawyers send all of his info to INTERPOL so they can keep an eye on him.

If any of you know some badboys that want to get paid to do some work, let me know. HAHA but no money up front, to Nigeria. Just when the job is done.

This should be a lesson to any scammer motherfukers on this board. Not all white boys are pussies like you think. You can do these thing and run home, but I guarantee if I got my hands on him, he would never see his kids again, or mayb i'll send him home as a cripple.

YOU people should be ashamed of BROTHERS like this. THIS IS THE REASON YOU WILL ALWAYS BE 2ND CLASS CITIZENS. NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING BLACK. JUST BEING NIGERIAN IS ENOUGH.

omerta60 (at) hotmail. com
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Alcofrybas(m): 1:30am On Jan 09, 2011
Edit:

Dear fellow bloggers:

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 3:23am On Jan 09, 2011
Alcofrybas:

Jeje grin I tried to insert quotes from your las post but it doesn't work. So I'll use the old-school, copy-paste method, if you don't mind  grin

LOL I think we both might be quite old-fashioned but I don't mind. I think from now on I will just quote you directly so it will be easier for you to quote me also wink

Alcofrybas:

No need to apologize.  cheesy. I've been fine, thank you. How about you?. Well, I hope.

Yeah I've been fine thanks smiley

Alcofrybas:

I' so sorry  undecided. I've been a bit busy. Thank you very much for the links.

My first impressions:
!Wow!. I hear many similarities between this music and Afro-Caribbean music.
Prince Nico Mbarga's melodies and guitar playing are beautiful.
And I can only wonder how big is Fela Kuti's impact on what is now called "World Music".   
King Sunny Ade: Pure Abandon!. Where do they get all that energy from?.

Please Don't think that I din't like the other artists because I did not write about them.  cheesy

These are just my first impressions.

It's so interesting that you said you can hear some similarites with Prince Mbarga and Afro-Caribbean music as Prince is from Eastern Nigeria and Cameroun. I believe he learnt how to strum the guitar from Central Africa; Cameroun and Congo. Congo is famous for their guitar plucking also you might like  to check out their music I think you might also hear some similarites with Cuban music. That song by Prince was the most sucessful African song to date and yep the melody is beautiful as he is singing about mothers.

Now on Fela kuti, you are right this guy made an impact on World Music. Afrobeat in the last few years has had a reinaissance and many people are purchasing the full collection of Fela's work. Many people may not know that this guy has been sampled beyond belief because his music is so dense that an artist may opt to take just the horn section or another may strip off the drum section etc. He has so many layers to his music you can keep on unpeeling them forever. Fela has been the top single artist to be sampled for the past 50 years the other artist that might have topped that was the Beatles but they're a band. He has certainly been sampled by many hip hop and indie artist for example. It's funny because I heard in Brazil there is a 'Fela Kuti' day where they pay tribute to him, I know that they do that here in London.

King Sunny Ade has been doing music for years and I believe he is getting stronger each year. The yorubas are famous for playing music from morning to night and they don't seem to get tired. I believe you would have enjoyed being present at one of Fela's concert I heard it was pretty advanced for it's time (70s) and was vey energetic. Your first impressions are spot on wink

Alcofrybas:

Am I wrong, or Africans dance and make music just for pure fun?. Just for the sake of having a great time?.

¿In which region of Nigeria is this langage spoken, if you don't mind my asking?

Well many Africans have been using music as a means of communication for a long time so I suppose that's why it's natural to us; for example during events such as wrestling or war there will be drums played either for the adrenaline or to immerse us into the mood, atmosphere and event.

We are also joyous people so we celebrate things like yam festivals or the rain and such and some of us pay hommage to our own gods or kings and of course there is always music to accompany our million festivals lol.
Music is very intricate in our make up - I suppose we were blessed like that smiley However one thing that many people forget is that music originally was not meant for entertainment but was employed as a force that's why when we hear some music we are so moved we cry.

Pidgin english is spoken all over Nigeria and other coastal Anglophone West African countries. Pidgin is more frequent and dense in the Niger Delta, in fact they can be considered the champions of pidgin it's because of them that many Nigerians know how to speak it but many of us don't even understand them when they talk lol.

Alcofrybas:

Sure. Ask any question you want. Please be so kind as to allow me some time if I need to do some research  smiley. I cant post many links. I'm trying to figure out where to start.

Yes that's what I meant. I will try to make some contribution to your thread ,  as soon as I find something nice  smiley. I would also be grateful I you can tell me about other threads and forums where I can make some contributions  smiley.

Oh I am very sorry embarassed. I wish I could take back those words. Silly me!. My sincere apologies to the user who started this forum. I don't want to spoil your party  embarassed. Sorry for being rude. I Love this forum. I'm sorry that I got in so late. What can be done to get more people involved in it?.

First of all I am curious which countries you have visited and if you are indeed a musician?

Yeah that would be great if you can contribute to that thread so we don't completely hijack this one tongue

I'm not too aware of other forums but on this site there is a music section, you might want to also contribute and gain from there.

Alcofrybas:

Thank you very much. It's also a great pleasure to talk to you.
smiley

Alcofrybas:

P.S Please be so kind as to tell me what does "Bit in red" mean?.

I'm apprehensive about forums, because unspeakable utterances are posted in them.

My "Internet English" is way too basic  grin

hehe when I said 'bit in red' I meant read what I have highlighted in red lol grin

My internet english is not the most broad either so it's okay we're both still learning wink
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Alcofrybas(m): 8:03pm On Jan 09, 2011
Edit:

Dear fellow bloggers:

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by delicious1(m): 1:03pm On Jan 11, 2011
Interest thread. Learning a lot from on here about different cultures. Nice job guys.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by koolchicco: 9:35pm On Jan 13, 2011
Been reading a lot frm here - Nice thread!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria's Pidgin English Dictionary / Who Is A Jew Man? / Igbo Women And Social Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.