Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions (28450 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Igala People: Identify Urself's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by ladysteph: 7:56am On Jan 18, 2011
I am liberian in the states. I eat cassava leaf,jallof rice,fufu and soup and ect. I am of bassa and vai tribe.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by koolchicco: 10:50am On Jan 18, 2011
ladysteph:

I am liberian in the states. I eat cassava leaf,jallof rice,fufu and soup and ect. I am of bassa and vai tribe.

Good to knw and welcome mate.

May I ask: How do you prepare your Cassava leaf meals? undecided
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by mukina2: 6:06pm On Jan 24, 2011
^
the Liberian way or the Sierra Leonean way? cool grin
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by koolchicco: 8:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
mukina2:

^
the Liberian way or the Sierra Leonean way? cool grin

Umm, I'd rather ''have it' the Sierra Leonean way jare! wink grin
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 04, 2011
ladysteph:

Hey Ms.Liberia. I love your accents (the Bassa language is so smoothe smiley)! I am a HUGE Cassava leaf fan lol! We eat something similar in Jamaica we just put in a lot more meat lmao.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by koolchicco: 9:59pm On Feb 04, 2011
undecided undecided
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Nyarluo: 12:26am On Feb 14, 2011
Hello,

I am a Kenyan from the Luo tribe. Your thread is very fascinating. I am a junkie of all things cultural and love to learn all I can about different cultures. I came across something today and wanted to ask my Nigerian brothers what your opinion is:

DAVID O'GRADY
Is there an anthropological connection between the Luo of Kenya and the Igbo of Nigeria?
These are two major ethnic groups living thousands of miles apart.But surprising similarities exist in their norms,beliefs,values,names of people and places.Both Luo and Igbo are the first to admit the similarities but no one seems to have an explanation.Names such as Okoye,Akomo,Gombe,(Luo,Igbo)Okonkwo(Igbo… Okongo(Luo) mean the same thing in both languages.Akomo means born during a harvest.
10 months ago Report Abuse
Additional Details
an interesting observation is that Luo believed in a powerful sun god known as chieng' who was the source of all laws known as chik.compare this with the igbo fetish god chi.The Luo trace their ancestry to ancient egypt where they lived centuries ago before migrating southwards to sudan and east africa.interestingly,local folklorist claim 'some of their brothers migrated westwards'.No one knows what became of the group that migrated westwards."
10 months ago
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by lepasharon(f): 9:50pm On Nov 04, 2011
any Nigeriens in??
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Denise216(f): 11:16am On Nov 05, 2011
We nigerians are really having mad love for y'all for showing up here. We so much like your thougts and your contributions on some issues. Let us into your beliefs, cultures, traditions of your land. We can as well rub mind to discuss on how it's similar to ours. love y'all

What if its a really long post?
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine(f): 11:47am On Nov 05, 2011
Denise216:

What if its a really long post?

There's no limit, you are welcome to post as much as you wish smiley
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Denise216(f): 7:47am On Nov 06, 2011
There's no limit, you are welcome to post as much as you wish Smiley

Okay.

I'm African American/Black American, both sides.

I don't know how many AAs are really into their culture like I am but there are some distinctions that have to be made: the "old" culture and the "new" culture. Your parents' age will likely dictate which tradition you fall under. My parents are old and Southern.

Old:

Religion-the church was a political and social bedrock, usually Christian, protestant, and Southern Baptist or African Methodist. Most of your values would be reinforced through your faith. There was also a network between churches. You'd have clothes that were just for church. AND HATS! For women it was a symbol of wealth, style and womanhood (they don't really do that anymore). Young girls didn't have to wear hats and young boys didn't have to wear jackets but the Men did, no matter how hot it was. You'd use a fan, usually provided by the church, to keep yourself cool or calm the people who "caught the ghost". Church service was an all-day affair usually with a potluck break or dinner afterward. That was the time to catch up on gossip or politics. Call-n-response, sporadic cosigning, and the old lady in front would "catch it" every week, break out the fans.

All men were expected to be employed (or own a business or farm), own property/land, and be involved in the church. Most were ushers and elders and depending on status could be a deacon, associate pastor, or pastor (usually pasted from father to son or uncle to nephew). Tipping or removing your hat and standing was how men would address their elders or women. They were allowed to marry after they had accumulated all of the things in the first line. Being mechanically included or handy was seen as being virile < not a joke. If a black man was well off he might have a mistress or second family, usually the wives didn't complain unless she was being humiliated by it. The church would mediate these things. Back then an education wasn't as useful to men as it is now so boys were encouraged to save, learn a trade or agriculture, and by land. Being a married man came with status. Of course you were held in favor-again with the church and following God's law. Like a deen for Muslims. Being in the military was a big deal too.

Women were expected to marry or have an education, sometimes both but the education for them to be teachers or avoid having to take a job (live in usually) with a white family. Cooking and the needles arts were big mainly because it let them make money on the side as well as taking care of her family. If they married it was usually young. If not, never, or widowed they would become an "Auntie" or godmother to another family and help out with kids, cooking, sewing, or counseling. In church their position was a supportive role. Cooks, charity organizers, Sunday school teachers, etc. They were to be silent in the church but her home was her domain and respected by any man or woman or child, unless an elder was a guest. Flirting was an art but they man they liked very seldom was the man they married. Over time respect would turn into affection and friendship with their spouse.

Children were expected to be quiet, obedient, and active in the the household. Girls were pulled out of school to help at home and boys would stay in, get a job, or learn their father's trade. By the time they were teenagers they usually had enough experience to run a household and support a family. Most baby boys are circumcised regardless of their faith.

Folklore:
*Brer Rabbit and the Briar Patch: getting out of a bad situation
*The Woman's Keys: Why women take advantage of men
*Peter's Rock and the Breadloaf: Why there are so many different churches
*John Henry

Dancing and Music: That would take forever to breakdown. But I will say that the church had absolutely nothing to do with “getting on the good foot”. Drilling is precision based but has very formations are kept. Stepping can be precision (high school or community), informal (HB soro/frats), or dance (Chi-town and DC steppers are famous).

Funerals are still like church services accept more attention is paid to the departed. "Home going" ceremonies can really put a strain on you. People fall out, cry, rant, at that good stuff. Then the music will start, Amazing Grace and or Swing Low Sweet Chariot are the main songs but if the dead had a favorite hymn its will be included. Food, food, FOOD; for the guests, for the family while they mourn, and snacks for the children. Dressing in blacks is universal. If a pastor dies his wife is given the "place of honor" for 4 Sundays and his "heir" is introduced to the congregation.

Weddings are just like all the others accept the Jumping of the Broom after the bride and groom are presented.

The only thing significant difference about AA Weddings is the Jumping of the Broom once the bride and groom are announced as one. The reception is the same as other Americans too, just a lot more fun.

Food is usually the best way to define a culture and for us its more than fried chicken, chitterlings, and pork products. My favorites are listed below but it helps of the cook puts their “foot in it”:
Collards with yellow Squash and Cabbage
Hoppin John (Jamaican version is called Peas and Rice or the reversed)
Johnny Cakes and Biscuits
Fried Whiting, Snapper, or Orange Ruffy. I can't stand catfish though.
Salmon Croquettes
Grits
Okra and Tomato Salad
Sock-it-to-me Cake
Sweet Potato Pie ("smack yo mama" style-has Rum)
Ox Tail soup/stew

My father said times were simple and complex at the same time. Someone from South Africa could probably relate.

The "New culture came with some good stuff and some bad stuff which is still being debated. But what I do know is that when you're a minority that the majority doesn't like, everything you create or try to sustain is mocked and even made illegal. Sucks.

1 Like

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Katyetye: 10:12pm On Nov 19, 2011
I'm Zambian (I was raised in Canada). My father is Bemba. My mother's family is Bemba-speaking, since Bemba is a lingua francae in parts of Zambia, but her father was Lambya (I think her father's father's father's father's mother, the daughter of my namesake, was Tambo, I don't know, and I'm assuming her paternal grandmother was also Lambya but I don't know that either). My maternal grandmother was of mixed Lungu (her mother) and English (her father) descent.

The Bemba people are believed to have descended from mid-17th century Luba settlers who migrated from what is now the southern Democratic Republic of Congo into what are now the Northern and Luapula provinces of Zambia (there may also be some Bemba speakers in south-west Tanzania) but one online source claims that only a group of Luba warriors migrated into what is now Zambia and conquered the already existing Bemba (or Bemba speaking) people. That sounds more practical but I've only read of this from one source, all the others claim that the Bemba people descend from Luba immigrants and did not exist before the 17th century. I can't find much information about the Lambya, Lungu or Tambo people online, they all speak Bantu languages. The pro-Bantu speaking people are thought to have originated in what is now south east Nigeria/northern Cameroon around 4000 years ago before they gradually spread out into southern, central Africa and east Africa.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Sameee1uZ: 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

Hey Ms.Liberia. I love your accents (the Bassa language is so smoothe smiley)! I am a HUGE Cassava leaf fan lol! We eat something similar in Jamaica we just put in a lot more meat lmao.

Me too. I love the soup(Cassava leaf and the one called Palm butter) i have a Liberian friend and she always make me a bowl whenever she cooks it. Their accent is so different form all other Africans and i find it very interesting smiley
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by sunch(m): 12:29am On Jan 23, 2012
A year after, this thread is still going. I want to call in my Ghana brothers on board. There is dis question that's been on my mind; the woman own the child, and not the man. Why is it so?
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by kafefilter(f): 2:40am On Jan 31, 2012
This is a fun thread smiley Let me tell you a little bit about my country - Sweden!

Sweden is not a "new" country by any definition; the earliest settlers can be traced back around 10.000 years when the holocene-ice age withdrew. But the name and the actual country was defined around 1.000 AD and the first laws and regulations were written in the 13th century. "Sweden", or the swedish word "Sverige" means "Land of Svea", and Svea is basically a symbol of motherhood.

(Sweden marked with red)

Today, Sweden is a constitutional monarchy with a democratic parliament, which basically means we have a king but he holds no real political power. The government is split up in two, "Regering" and "Riksdag", led by minister of state Fredrik Reinfeldt (since 2010). The two largest political parties are the social democrats (Socialdemokraterna) and the moderates (Moderaternas).

Minister of state Fredrik Reinfeldt:

[img]http://www.qx.se/uploads/f4/42bdc8a075e22366fa1e99df34dc2e.jpg[/img]

Sweden has been a monarchy since it's birth. Usually the monarch was a king, but in some instaces also queens like Queen Margareta (1353-1412), Queen Kristina (1626-1689) and Queen Ulrika Eleonora (1688-1741). Sweden was a catholic country up until the 16th century, when king Gustav Vasa, backed up by the swedish people, banished the catholic church and seized all it's wealth in favor of a national, protestant state-church. But during the 18th century, Sweden expanded its boundaries by declaring war on other countries such as Norway, Finland, Denmark, Russia and Germany, which propelled the country into massive poverty and famine. In the early 19th century, the famine was so overwhelming it drove people to start immigrating to the United States. One third of the population immigrated to the US, in hopes of creating a better future for themselves. Because of neutrality during the second world war in 1940, the economy was improving and during the 1960's and 1970's the modern state of Sweden emerged.

Queen Kristina:

[img]http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18.10192751118fbc4c1380002241/GRH+samling+portr%C3%A4tt++0504+drottning+Kristina+1626-1689+av+Jacob+Heinrich+Elbfas.+Foto+Nationalmuseum.+500+bred.jpg[/img]

Today I guess we are known for being the "most equal country on earth" (that's what we want to think, anyway, ) but the thing about Sweden is that Equality. Is. A. Big. Deal. I'm not saying that 100% of Swedes think like this, but our constitution clearly states that equality between the sexes is fundemental, and is regulated by many laws. Women are not only allowed to work, they are expected to. Caring of the children and taking care of the home is in a modern swedish family divided between the man and the woman.

An advertisement from the 1970's promoting "pappaledighet" (Paternity leave)

[img]http://pareriksson.files./2011/02/pappaledig.jpg[/img]

Most swedish couples do not marry, neither in church or in court, before they have children. Many people are agnostic or atheist, but that does not mean they do not have faith. Faith for many swedish people something personal that you do not discuss. Some typical "swedish" traits is being moderate, independent and self-reliant. We do not have extended families in most cases, and most swedish people do not take care of their parents when they get old for example. 2 is the average number of children for a swedish couple.

Swedish food: The traditional swedish food largly derives from when Sweden was a very poor country, so the traditional food such as salt sill (salted herring) köttbullar med potatis (meat balls with potatoes) Knäckebröd (hard bread) is food that used to be very, very cheap to make. But I'd say fish in all forms is basic swedish, traditional food because of our many lakes.

Swedish Knäckebröd (hard bread):

Some good things about Sweden/Swedish people: We are very loyal, funny and open minded once you get to know us. Sweden has a high living standard and you have good social protection (such as tax-funded health care, schools (from kindergarten to university) and you get economical support from the government when you are sick, unemployed and when you have a child you get 80% of your pay for being at home and caring for your child for 18 months).

Some bad things about Sweden/Swedish people: We are very, very reserved. Do not be offended if nobody will speak to you on the bus! It takes a while to get to know us. Racism is still a major problem in the country, as is unemployment. Swedish weather (we have winter from around october/november to march/april). Hubris :/

Swedish traditional festive event called Midsommar (midsummer) when we celebrate the arrival of summer (the biggest event in Sweden after christmas):

[img]http://www.sweden.se/upload/Sweden_se/english/Theme%20sites/Celebrating_new/midsommardans.jpg[/img]

I think that's about it! Sweden has quite a large Nigerian population and we have many Igbo, Haussa and Yoruba communities in the various cities.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Araboy(m): 8:48am On Jan 31, 2012
Hmmmmm brb  attendez moi   une minute  s' il vous plait  Messieurs - Dames   grin
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by kafefilter(f): 12:43pm On Jan 31, 2012
This is a fun thread  Let me tell you a little bit about my country - Sweden!

Sweden is not a "new" country by any definition; the earliest settlers can be traced back around 10.000 years when the holocene-ice age withdrew. But the name and the actual country was defined around 1.000 AD and the first laws and regulations were written in the 13th century. "Sweden", or the swedish word "Sverige" means "Land of Svea", and Svea is basically a symbol of motherhood.

Today, Sweden is a constitutional monarchy with a democratic parliament, which basically means we have a king but he holds no real political power. The government is split up in two, "Regering" and "Riksdag", led by minister of state Fredrik Reinfeldt (since 2010). The two largest political parties are the social democrats (Socialdemokraterna) and the conservatives (Moderaterna).

History:
Sweden has been a monarchy since it's birth. Usually the monarch was a king, but in some instaces also queens like Queen Margareta (1353-1412),  Queen Kristina (1626-1689) and Queen Ulrika Eleonora (1688-1741) held the throne single-handedly. Sweden was a catholic country up until the 16th century, when king Gustav Vasa, backed up by the swedish people, banished the catholic church and seized all it's wealth in favor of a national, protestant state-church. During the 18th century, Sweden expanded its boundaries by declaring war on other countries such as Norway, Finland, Denmark, Russia and Germany, which propelled the country into massive poverty and famine. In the early 19th century, the famine was so overwhelming it drove people to start immigrating to the United States. One third of the population immigrated to the US, in hopes of creating a better future for themselves. Because of neutrality during the second world war in 1940, the economy began improving and during the 1960's and 1970's the modern state of Sweden emerged.

Views on men/women: Today I guess we are known for being the "most equal country on earth" (that's what we want to think, anyway, ) but the thing about Sweden is that Equality. Is. A. Big. Deal. I'm not saying that 100% of Swedes think like this, but our constitution clearly states that equality between the sexes is fundemental, and is regulated by many laws. Women are not only allowed to work, they are expected to. They are expected to care for themselves and support themselves financially at all times, even when married or in a relationship. The belief is that you can't have rights without obligations, so with hard work comes equal rights. Women have the exact same rights as men, which means that no-one, not even her husband or father, has any authority over her. A woman can abort a fetus legally up until the 18th week of pregnancy and has the right to divorce as many times as she wants to. 

Family: We do not have extended families in most cases, and most swedish people do not take care of their parents when they get old for example. This is because we have a strong feeling of independence in all ages, and many parents will not allow their children to care for them. We instead have retirement facilities provided by the government. Caring of the children and taking care of the home is in a modern swedish family divided between the man and the woman. Because most men and women work, daycare and kindergarden are a necessity and is provided by the government and is tax-funded, 2 is the average number of children for a swedish couple. Any form of physical punishment of children is illegal. Children (both male and female) are seen as adults when they turn 18, and are then allowed to vote, marry, get a driver's license and drink alcohol.

Religion: [/b]Most swedish couples do not marry, neither in church or in court, before they have children. Many people are agnostic or atheist, but that does not mean they do not have faith. Faith for many swedish people something personal that you do not discuss. The protestant church is still the largest church in Sweden, and is known for being very liberal. They for example allow same-sex weddings (since 2010).

[b]Typical ”swedishness”:
Some typical "swedish" traits is being moderate, independent and self-reliant. Also minding your own business and allowing people to care for themselves is very swedish. Showing off your wealth in any way is considered bad and people will judge you for it.

Swedish food: The traditional swedish food largly derives from when Sweden was a very poor country, so the traditional food such as salt sill (salted herring) köttbullar med potatis (meat balls with potatoes) Knäckebröd (hard bread) is food that used to be very, very cheap to make. But I'd say fish in all forms is basic swedish, traditional food because of our many lakes. We do on the other hand, eat a lot of food from other nationalities. Pizza is almost considered standard swedish food nowadays smiley

Some good things about Sweden/Swedish people: We are very loyal, funny and open minded once you get to know us. Sweden has a high living standard and you have good social protection (such as tax-funded health care and schools (from kindergarten to university) and you get economical support from the government when you are sick, unemployed and when you have a child you get 80% of your pay for being at home and caring for your child for 18 months).

[b]Some bad things about Sweden/Swedish people: [/b]We are very, very reserved. Do not be offended if nobody will speak to you on the bus! It takes a while to get to know us. Racism is still a major problem in the country, as is unemployment. Swedish weather (we have winter from around october/november to march/april). Hubris. We think that Sweden is the best place on earth, and we tend to see other nationalities and countries as sub-par.

Some swedish phrases (pronunciation in bracket) :

Thank you – Tack (Taak)
Hello, how are you? = Hej, hur mår du? (Hey, hur moor do?)
I am well = Jag mår bra (Yak moor braa)
I love you = Jag älskar dig (Yak elskar deey)
Good day = Goddag (Gouddaak)
Good evening = God kväll (Goud kvell)
Good night = Godnatt (Goud naat)

I think that's about it! Sweden has quite a large Nigerian population and we have many Igbo, Haussa and Yoruba communities in the various cities.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by omoharry(f): 3:29pm On May 11, 2012
SA Lady: Stage 2

This is when guy's uncles return to girs family to make full payment. I am told that a lot about these negotiations depends on the girl as she has the advantage of knowing her man's size of the pocket. So she can pull her uncles aside and ask them not to charge too much. So she can influence the pricing from that angle. A lot of girls dont use this opportunity and I dont know why, as everybody is aware that a lot of things can go horribly wrong during the pricing and the negotiations. A lot of people end up with no marriage or enter a marriage with lots of resentments because of the rediculous pricing.

On the day of the full payment this then becomes a full traditional celebration, there'll be a slaughter, its usually sheep/goat/cow depending on the tribal norm and these days its about what you can afford. There'll be an exchange of gifts the whole ceremony is called MATLHABISO, I know you wont get the pronounciation correct so please get a tsawna speaking person to read and pronounce the words for you.

This is pretty much wedding number one, its usually meant to be intimate with very few guests invited being the girl and guy's close
family members mainly. Today friends do get invited and it becames one hell of a traditional wedding, and everybody comes in thier traditional attire.

In this ceremony the couple is counselled by the elders its called GO LAYA Girl is told about her new man's right (which he's always had access to by the way LOL) and guy the same.  The saddest part about this go laya story is that, girl is told (this is for when they live together) never ever to question her man's where abouts, when is he coming home and if he has a certian someone she must just shut up as long as he pays for the home upkeep and that's it. With guy the strong message is that he should never raise a hand at his wife and would rather return the girl home if he no longer wants her.

At the end of the day all of guys uncles and their wives will get gifts in the form of clothes, blankets and a half potion of the goat/sheep/cow. Guys family will exchange the same or even more gifts with girls unties and uncles. The half potion of the sheep/goat/cow is called SETLHANA. Oh! I should have mentioned that parents to the pair are not allowed to speak to each other even indirectly. They will be introduced to each other on this particular day of celebration. However its not always practical especially when you have a traditional ceremony to put together and sometimes the reps are not always available as this is a lengthy process, some parents may already have met each other before.

Guys eldest uncle or may be his father's first male cousin will get the priviledge of getting the head of that slaughtered sheep/goat and its for his family alone this head is called THLOGO and uncle in this role is called MALOME MOJA THLOGO.

I also didnt mention that both families should visit their ancestors graves before and after the ceremony to inform them about the happenings. It would be very very careless if you dont do this part, as the whole idea about the ceremony is believed to get the ancestors to know each other and to protect the couple during their marriage. So its essentialy an ancestral ceremony and rituals will be performed.

Please dont ask me what actually happens when the rituals are performed I am clueless.

Very interesting, your wedding custom is similar to some practice here in Nigeria, Though diiferent in some aspect.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by omoharry(f): 3:34pm On May 11, 2012
sunch: @ajali,
Interesting piece tho! I was beginning 2b having appetite wit 'em.
My question goes thus, is it true dat u Jar-ma-ny(as Germany is being refer2 in nigeria, due 2their work, work,work) cant do without achohol, due 2bad water and all dat? Hope dat does not have any effect as a result of an excessive in take of achohol? Also do u think it doesnt have no religion implicatns?
Salivating, pls how do u prepare this?
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine2(f): 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
Wow....I have nostalgia...the best topic I've ever been apart of on this site...and to alcofrybas, I apologize because regrettably I cannot now edit my previous posts where I quoted you (I see you've edited them all and if my old account wasn't defunct I would have followed suit and edited my comments which quoted yours so as to protect your privacy)...
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by JallowBah(f): 7:03pm On Jul 13, 2012
I am Norwegian. Most norwegian grow up christian, but not many grown ups actually attend church, other than marriage/funeral/christmas, etc. The people who do, tend to be either JW, Smiths friends, catholics, or a little bit old. I gre up praying on my bed in the night-time, but when you grow up..not so much. I only know a few people who say they are definitively christians.
Because of the immigrations, we now also have many muslims, hindus and buddhists.

Not more than one month ago, the church got divided from the state.

When it comes to love/marriage: Most people can date who ever they want, no need to ask for you parents permission first. Sleeping together on the first date dont matter too much either, its a very liberal culture when it comes to sex. But, bringing someone home to your parents, means you are serious with them.
It takes everything from one to 10 years before people get married. Children often come before marriage.

We have our own cultural outfits, called "bunad". We have our own dances, one is called "hallingdal-dans".

we have native people, called the sami, they grow up speaking norwegian and their motherlanguage as well.

We invented the cheese-cutter wink

Norway is known as one of the richest country in the world, with high living-standards. But, the truth is, not many PEOPLE are rich, even though the country is. We have good welfare-systems, you are supposed to always get helpt with money for survival/house even if you dont work ( still, many norwegian living in the streets, families who go to pick up free food at the "poor-house" ), and we have the right for medical help, no matter what it is, and no matter how much it costs. ( Not like USA, where you can actually die if you dont have money for surgery. )
But, many people dont have too much money. If you want to buy a house in Norway, you need at least 15% yourself in savings, and you would have to borrow the rest. Most houses cost around 500 000 USD in Oslo/akershus.

Norwegian people are very different. You have rich people with 10 million USD in the bank, and you have farmers who barely survive, selling their milk and eggs.

I do love my country, but for me, people are too busy with material happiness here, and seem to forget that there is more to life than money.

Here is pictures of cultural clothes, and a video of cultural dancewink ( The "bunad"-dress is not the same in the districts. There are at least 20 different ones right now, depending on where in the country you are from. The first one is a traditional one, and many people choose to not wear the headwrap. The second is from a wedding in 1966. )

[img]http://bulow.no/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/trønderlag.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wq6If8MsFQ

So, there you gosmiley

1 Like

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine2(f): 7:17pm On Jul 13, 2012
Welcome JallowBah...I would have greeted you in Norwegian but I don't even know how to say "hello" in the language...so let me take this opportunity to ask: how does one greet in Norway?

In the first pic you posted the attire reminded me of a typical milk maid costume lol oh and just curious but why did some wear head wraps...was it's function meant to be similar to the hijab for example...

And how is the education system in Norway?

Once again...Welcome.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by JallowBah(f): 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
emöfine2: Welcome JallowBah...I would have greeted you in Norwegian but I don't even know how to say "hello" in the language...so let me take this opportunity to ask: how does one greet in Norway?

In the first pic you posted the attire reminded me of a typical milk maid costume lol oh and just curious but why did some wear head wraps...was it's function meant to be similar to the hijab for example...

And how is the education system in Norway?

Once again...Welcome.

Hei, går det bra? ( Hello, how are you/are you good? )
Ja, det går bra, med deg? ( Yes, I am fine, and you? )
smiley

That is probably because most of Norway was farmers and fishers in the old dayswink Women used to wear small scarfs on their head almost at all times, some for religious/cultural reasons ( in the old days, a woman always had to cover her head, scarf or hat, to enter the church ), and some only to keep the farm-smell out of the hair.
They looked like this:

[img]http://bildr.no/image/1228092.jpeg[/img]
This is from a school, teaching women to become good wifes ( ! ), how to cook, clean, make clothes, take care of the kids, etc. Usually one year after the first ten year of school. This was still going on until about 1970`s, when women started to get more and more rights in Norway, and was allowed to take the same classes as men.
They mostly weared the head-scarf like this picture, and yes, in some ways, you can relate it to the hijabsmiley Many europeans seem to forrget that.

Education is free in Norway. Every single child have the right to go to school, even the asylum-kids whos parents havent got a yes or nor to stay in Norway, have to go to school. You actually cant choose to keep your kid out of school, unless you have exams7test to prove home-schooling is taken care of. All books and material is free, but some trips might have to be payed. Many students collect money with selling cookies, tickets, etc.
After the first ten years, you have three more years that is free, but optional. Depending on where you live ( with/without parents ), and how much your parents made last year ( as in; can they pay for your books, materials, etc ? ), the goverment will pay you from 0,- up to 1000USD a month. The highest one includes a loan wich have to be payed back. They will only provide you with up to 500USD, and if you drop out/fail classes, you will have to pay the free money back, since you used them on other things than school.

Some choose to work instead ( I stayed for almost 2years after the first ten, realised I did not have any clue what I wanted to be, and decided to make money instead of borrowing for an education I wouldnt even use later on. ), and some go on to higher educations to become teachers, doctors, socialworkers, etc.

Anything more?smiley ( Not very often I get asked about my country and our ways, so it is fun for me to answer! )

1 Like

Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Ptolomeus(m): 9:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
Well, just see this thread ...
Since most of you know me. I was born and I live in Montevideo, Uruguay (South America). I spent years of my life studying various African traditions, particularly the Yoruba.
My intention in the forum is to exchange information, which enriches us all.
I do not speak English, I use a translator, so please excuse my mistakes you know writing.
I'm at your orders for everything they deem necessary.
My respectful greetings to all!
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine2(f): 4:12pm On Jul 14, 2012
JallowBah Hei cheesy

JallowBah:

Hei, går det bra? ( Hello, how are you/are you good? )
Ja, det går bra, med deg? ( Yes, I am fine, and you? )
smiley

Thanks. I love the Swedish and Norwegian alphabets lol...

That is probably because most of Norway was farmers and fishers in the old dayswink Women used to wear small scarfs on their head almost at all times, some for religious/cultural reasons ( in the old days, a woman always had to cover her head, scarf or hat, to enter the church ), and some only to keep the farm-smell out of the hair.

..... and yes, in some ways, you can relate it to the hijabsmiley Many europeans seem to forrget that.

Yep and I find that interesting...

Education is free in Norway. Every single child have the right to go to school, even the asylum-kids whos parents havent got a yes or nor to stay in Norway, have to go to school. You actually cant choose to keep your kid out of school, unless you have exams7test to prove home-schooling is taken care of. All books and material is free, but some trips might have to be payed. Many students collect money with selling cookies, tickets, etc.
After the first ten years, you have three more years that is free, but optional. Depending on where you live ( with/without parents ), and how much your parents made last year ( as in; can they pay for your books, materials, etc ? ), the goverment will pay you from 0,- up to 1000USD a month. The highest one includes a loan wich have to be payed back. They will only provide you with up to 500USD, and if you drop out/fail classes, you will have to pay the free money back, since you used them on other things than school.

Some choose to work instead ( I stayed for almost 2years after the first ten, realised I did not have any clue what I wanted to be, and decided to make money instead of borrowing for an education I wouldnt even use later on. ), and some go on to higher educations to become teachers, doctors, socialworkers, etc.

Interesting...I guess I assumed that Norwegian inhabitants will be quite well off because Norway seems to have managed their oil wealth well.

Anything more?smiley ( Not very often I get asked about my country and our ways, so it is fun for me to answer! )

I ask so many questions so I don't want to overwhelm you grin

Do you know anything about Norse mythology?
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by emofine2(f): 4:14pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ptolomeus: Well, just see this thread ...
Since most of you know me. I was born and I live in Montevideo, Uruguay (South America). I spent years of my life studying various African traditions, particularly the Yoruba.
My intention in the forum is to exchange information, which enriches us all.
I do not speak English, I use a translator, so please excuse my mistakes you know writing.
I'm at your orders for everything they deem necessary.
My respectful greetings to all!

Hola Ptolomeus smiley
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Fabulousb36(f): 6:38pm On Jul 14, 2012
[quote author=SA Lady]Stage 2

This is when guy's uncles return to girs family to make full payment. I am told that a lot about these negotiations depends on the girl as she has the advantage of knowing her man's size of the pocket. So she can pull her uncles aside and ask them not to charge too much. So she can influence the pricing from that angle. A lot of girls dont use this opportunity and I dont know why, as everybody is aware that a lot of things can go horribly wrong during the pricing and the negotiations. A lot of people end up with no marriage or enter a marriage with lots of resentments because of the rediculous pricing.

On the day of the full payment this then becomes a full traditional celebration, there'll be a slaughter, its usually sheep/goat/cow depending on the tribal norm and these days its about what you can afford. There'll be an exchange of gifts the whole ceremony is called MATLHABISO, I know you wont get the pronounciation correct so please get a tsawna speaking person to read and pronounce the words for you.

This is pretty much wedding number one, its usually meant to be intimate with very few guests invited being the girl and guy's close family members mainly. Today friends do get invited and it becames one hell of a traditional wedding, and everybody comes in thier traditional attire.

In this ceremony the couple is counselled by the elders its called GO LAYA Girl is told about her new man's right (which he's always had access to by the way LOL) and guy the same.  The saddest part about this go laya story is that, girl is told (this is for when they live together) never ever to question her man's where abouts, when is he coming home and if he has a certian someone she must just shut up as long as he pays for the home upkeep and that's it. With guy the strong message is that he should never raise a hand at his wife and would rather return the girl home if he no longer wants her.

At the end of the day all of guys uncles and their wives will get gifts in the form of clothes, blankets and a half potion of the goat/sheep/cow. Guys family will exchange the same or even more gifts with girls unties and uncles. The half potion of the sheep/goat/cow is called SETLHANA. Oh! I should have mentioned that parents to the pair are not allowed to speak to each other even indirectly. They will be introduced to each other on this particular day of celebration. However its not always practical especially when you have a traditional ceremony to put together and sometimes the reps are not always available as this is a lengthy process, some parents may already have met each other before.

Guys eldest uncle or may be his father's first male cousin will get the priviledge of getting the head of that slaughtered sheep/goat and its for his family alone this head is called THLOGO and uncle in this role is called MALOME MOJA THLOGO.

I also didnt mention that both families should visit their ancestors graves before and after the ceremony to inform them about the happenings. It would be very very careless if you dont do this part, as the whole idea about the ceremony is believed to get the ancestors to know each other and to protect the couple during their marriage. So its essentialy an ancestral ceremony and rituals will be performed.

Please dont ask me what actually happens when the rituals are performed I am clueless.
God! This is d longest procedure I have ever had of. All dis jst 4 d traditional marriage. Hw many yrs does it take to complete dis steps anyway. Tanks 4 sharin but its funny
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by Fabulousb36(f): 7:18pm On Jul 14, 2012
Hi jallowbah, tanks 4 sharin. Luv d norway educational system. ~Peace~
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by JallowBah(f): 7:30pm On Jul 14, 2012
emöfine2: JallowBah Hei cheesy
Thanks. I love the Swedish and Norwegian alphabets lol...
Yep and I find that interesting...
Interesting...I guess I assumed that Norwegian inhabitants will be quite well off because Norway seems to have managed their oil wealth well.
I ask so many questions so I don't want to overwhelm you grin
Do you know anything about Norse mythology?

We are the only ones with æ,ø,å..wink Many immigrants struggle with those letters, believe me! And where I am from, we use them even more then close to the capital city.

Many people assume that a rich country will have mainly rich people. When I travel to Gambia, of course I look rich, according to their income, and their prices. But a standard apartment in Oslo, the capital, cost at least 1500 USD if you want one bedrom and a livingroom.

Yes, I know about the mythology as wellsmiley Odin, Tor, Frøya, etc..
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by onila(f): 7:54pm On Aug 22, 2012
bump!
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by 740megawatts: 12:06pm On Aug 23, 2012
Nyarluo: Hello,

I am a Kenyan from the Luo tribe. Your thread is very fascinating. I am a junkie of all things cultural and love to learn all I can about different cultures. I came across something today and wanted to ask my Nigerian brothers what your opinion is:

DAVID O'GRADY
Is there an anthropological connection between the Luo of Kenya and the Igbo of Nigeria?
These are two major ethnic groups living thousands of miles apart.But surprising similarities exist in their norms,beliefs,values,names of people and places.Both Luo and Igbo are the first to admit the similarities but no one seems to have an explanation.Names such as Okoye,Akomo,Gombe,(Luo,Igbo)Okonkwo(Igbo… Okongo(Luo) mean the same thing in both languages.Akomo means born during a harvest.
Additional Details
an interesting observation is that Luo believed in a powerful sun god known as chieng' who was the source of all laws known as chik.compare this with the igbo fetish god chi.The Luo trace their ancestry to ancient egypt where they lived centuries ago before migrating southwards to sudan and east africa.interestingly,local folklorist claim 'some of their brothers migrated westwards'.No one knows what became of the group that migrated westwards."
10 months ago

Interesting research! Here was I thinking that the Luos and Yorubas are much more related. If indeed the Igbos have a much closer relationship to the Luos, then the Luos are the missing link to unravelling the relationship between Igbos and Yorubas.
Re: Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions by 740megawatts: 12:11pm On Aug 23, 2012
Nyarluo: Hello,

DAVID O'GRADY
Additional Details
10 months ago

Interesting research! Here was I thinking that the Luos and Yorubas are much more related. If indeed the Igbos have a much closer relationship to the Luos, then the Luos are the missing link to unravelling the relationship between Igbos and Yorubas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo Women And Social Status / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / Why Does Our Society Condemn Using Left Hand To Give And Receive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.