Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,359 members, 7,780,981 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:50 AM

Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin (24610 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Can A Christian Marry More Than One Wife? / Is Fornication Really A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Emade(m): 4:19pm On Oct 31, 2010
marrying more than one wife a sin.if yes were is it writing in de bible.god help us.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by KunleOshob(m): 4:36pm On Oct 31, 2010
No biblical evidence to support the notion that it is a sin, on the contrary several men of God in the bible had more than one wife.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Rhino4dm: 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2010
You have re-affirmed the respect i have for you .
Wait until oliver the twist is here. . . . . . . . I like the truth even if i dont believe in it.

KunleOshob:

No biblical evidence to support the notion that it is a sin, on the contrary several men of God in the bible had more than one wife.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Sweetnecta: 5:12pm On Oct 31, 2010
why is it forbidden and against many laws of nations where christianity dominates?

By the way this is a good Video on Youtube, Titled 'Israel Secret Weapon part 2'
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by yommyuk: 5:36pm On Oct 31, 2010
not a sin, but should not be encouraged cool
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by chyz1: 6:15pm On Oct 31, 2010
Sweetnecta:

why is it forbidden and against many laws of nations where christianity dominates?

By the way this is a good Video on Youtube, Titled 'Israel Secret Weapon part 2'

Because europeans have indirectly instilled their cultural beliefs in into christianity as the arabs did Islam. There is alot of this both christians and muslims do which they say is of their religion;however, the Boble and Quran never permitted it.

1 Like

Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by e36991: 6:55pm On Oct 31, 2010
Emade:

Marrying more than one wife a sin. If yes were is it writing in de bible. God help us.

KunleOshob:

@^^^

grin grin grin I laugh in Aramaic  grin grin

Sin is the transgression of the law . . .

most importantly it must be recognised that sin, before the law, had been.

This implies that it is possible to commit sin without violating the law (i.e. 10 commandments)

- All unrighteousness is sin. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin etc etc

grin grin grin No biblical evidence?  grin grin

There are countless wrongs that the law does not address in the bible (i.e. silent about or over)

Just because there are no biblical evidence, doesn't mean this or that is right or agrees with God

Sin in a simplest form is breaking God's perfect standard or given command.

Just like the several men of God in the old testament that married more than one, you have the power and opportunity.

Is it a sin or not?

Well the judgement call is yours. Your cross to bear wink
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by KunleOshob(m): 7:15pm On Oct 31, 2010
@e3691
Hope you know it is actually a sin to add or remove from the laws of God, going by that it is actually those who are making unbiblical claims that it is a sin that are actually sinning.

Ps: kindly note that I am not advocating for polygamous marriage neither do I endorse it, but truth must be told.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by e36991: 8:31pm On Oct 31, 2010
KunleOshob:

@e3691

Hope you know it is actually a sin to add or remove from the laws of God,

going by that it is actually those who are making unbiblical claims that it is a sin that are actually sinning.

Ps: kindly note that I am not advocating for polygamous marriage neither do I endorse it, but truth must be told.

@my amiable KunleOshob

I know your stance and do know you were as usual just been pragmatic 

". . . sin to add or remove from the laws of God?" Am curious. What is that about?

Are you referring to the 10 commandments (i.e. the Mosaic law) or to the spoken or written word of the King (i.e. these are laws too)

Anyways the fact still remains, just because it aint in the Bible doesnt make the relevant right

Let's flip the coin, shall we . . .

Marrying more than one husband is a sin. If yes, where is it written in the bible. God help us.

We are not under the law

We are at liberty now, isnt it.

Free to do anything but whats the point, not all things are profitable, it's not right so we pass on it.

Forget about theological scholarship and the bible for a sec

Consider if one has the prompting out of the personal relationship one has with God to go for extras

Whats stopping having more than one wife then if one did clearly hear from God

At the end of the day, its a personal judgement call.

Only you can decide to cross that bridge when you get there

No one is going to point out where it is written in the bible if it is a sin or not

Bottom line,

1) Is it the Right thing to do

2) Is it the Right time to do

3) Is one Right with God doing it (i.e. is one on God's right hand side doing it)

If the above three are ticked, concurrently, then one's on a roll for a harem . . .  grin
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by poweredcom(m): 11:41pm On Oct 31, 2010
hahaha Marry is you take care of them, After all na human being write the bible, that made it contradictory
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2010
Surprising! So no one can prove his point biblically?Pls christians let us put more effort in reading our bible.Now lets start;If you're not a christian,you are free to live how you like but as far as christianity is involved,it is a sin.My point goes like this:1 corinthian 7vs2 ''Since there is much immorality,each man should have his own wife and each woman his own husband''.The bible did not say ''each man his own wives''.Again,Titus 1vs6 ''An elder must be blameless,the husband of but one wife''.If it is not a sin,a deacon or elder should have been allowed to take more than one wife.Take note of the word ''blameless'', if you are not blameless,then you are blameworthy and if you marry more than a wife,you are then blameworthy. that is you are a sinner.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 7:53pm On Nov 06, 2010
[b]

Quoted from: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-504821.0.html

Hint 1: Adam + Eve; not Adam + Eve + Margaret + Jane

Hint 2: Genesis 2 vs 24 'Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Note that it does not say 'wives' here; it says 'wife'.

Hint 3: Jesus clarifies in Matthew 19 vs 9 'And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.'

I will infer from this scripture that marrying/joining yourself to/ having intimate relations with 'another' besides your 'wife' is adultery.

Lastly, ask yourself this question. What is your motive for marrying a second wife, bearing in mind that God looks at the heart?

Is it because you are lusting after that new woman? Sinful.
Is it because you are bored with your wife (putting her away, would like to try some 'Pounded yam' because you've been having 'Jollof Rice' all these years)? Sinful - Only death is supposed to do you apart, not her 'no longer firm bosoms', your lust for some or plenty of 'Pounded yam' or her ageing.
Is it because you just want to escape from the Covenant of marriage? Sinful - God hates Divorce (It is a form of covenant breaking).

I hope this helps!

Please answer these two questions with as many answers as you can possibly give:

Does a man marry a second wife out of 'love' for his wife?
What are the possible motives for marrying a second woman that do not go against the principles of true love, commitment and faithfulness? I can think of lack of contentment, lust, and sexual incontinence. These certainly go against those principles! Please I'd like your answers so I can look at where you are coming from.

MOTIVE, MOTIVE, MOTIVE!

When you become one with your wife, and then go on to join another person, you cannot become 'one' with the new person because you have already been 'merged into one' with your 'wife'.  Jesus said 'not all can accept this saying' when he explained adultery and divorce. If you still don't get it; If your partner is unfaithful to you (adultery), you can leave them on that basis; Marrying the 'other woman' does not rule it out as adultery against your 'wife'. You are committing adultery against your spouse if you have another 'besides him/her'.

The relationship between a man and 'his wife' is supposed to be like that of Christ and 'his bride' - the Church. The Lord Jesus is faithful to us. Men are commanded to love their wives as Christ loves the church. Jesus has just one bride; a man should have just one wife! God hates unfaithfulness. Unfaithfulness breaks the heart of your spouse - whether male or female!

Lastly, don't take my understanding of this matter for it; ask the Holy Spirit to explain to you, after all he is the one who convicts us of sin. He will surely guide us in the right path!
[/b]
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Rhino4dm: 8:11pm On Nov 06, 2010
^^^ lame analogy. Yes if i add another wife we can still be one i.e trinity three -in- one, Sounds funny ehn? Lets assume you have five children how can you love them equally? And can the whole family be one? Waiting for response as usual. . . .
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by KunleOshob(m): 8:50pm On Nov 06, 2010
@seyibrown
Sins are clearly stated in the bible NOT hinted. Your concept of hints allows men to force their opinions into scriptures. Else christians could use the examples of Abraham, Jacob, Moses, David, Solomon. Who were all great men of God and had multiple wives as "hints" it is ok to have more than one wife.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 2:39am On Nov 07, 2010
[b]Some people hide under the 'excuse' of 'the bible does not expressly say it is a sin to marry more than one wife, hence my using hints. They conveniently push 'thou shalt not commit adultery' away. They try to water it down to their 'tastes'. They conveniently forget that you commit adultery against 'your spouse' when you enter another relationship another person besides your spouse (whether you marry the new person or not) while you are still bound to your wife (in accordance with commandments).

If scriptures are too difficult for them to understand, they can take hints. I only tried to explain better with hints; and the answers as quoted were really in the context of an ongoing discourse on the thread referenced to it might help to look at that thread.

Jesus himself said' the one who created them in the beginning made them male and female'. He reffered the disciples back to the original and straightforward plan. I was doing similar by pointing to the fact that it was Adam + Eve and not Adam + Jane + Ifeoma + Labake + Kudirat.

It is expressly commanded in Malachi not to deal treacherously with the wife of one's youth:

Malachi 2:14-16 (Amplified Bible)

14Yet you ask, Why does He reject it? Because the Lord was witness [to the covenant made at your marriage] between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously and to whom you were faithless. Yet she is your companion and the wife of your covenant [made by your marriage vows].
15And did not God make [you and your wife] one [flesh]? Did not One make you and preserve your spirit alive? And why [did God make you two] one? Because He sought a godly offspring [from your union]. Therefore take heed to yourselves, and let no one deal treacherously and be faithless to the wife of his youth.
16For the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I hate divorce and marital separation and him who covers his garment [his wife] with violence. Therefore keep a watch upon your spirit [that it may be controlled by My Spirit], that you deal not treacherously and faithlessly [with your marriage mate].

Committing adultery against the wife of your youth is dealing treacherously with her. A Yoruba adage says: Orisa je n pe meji Obirin o si! No woman wants to share her husband with any other. [/b]
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by KunleOshob(m): 6:49am On Nov 07, 2010
@seyibrown
According to the Strong's bible concordance which translates the bible from the original hebrew/greek text adultery is defined as "when a woman breaks wedlock" and not when either of the couples break it. Adultery only happens when a married woman is involved and that is why men of God in the bible could have more than one wife and in some cases even concubines. The truth is that what holds for the woman is not what holds for the man biblical. The man is seen as the owner of the wife and the man could decide to stick to one wife or acquire more.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by bashydemy(m): 8:47am On Nov 07, 2010
Well as far as you can take care of them and also be equal to both of them, @seyirbown are you saying this cos your a lady right?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 2:44pm On Nov 07, 2010
KunleOshob:

@seyibrown
According to the Strong's bible concordance which translates the bible from the original hebrew/greek text adultery is defined as "when a woman breaks wedlock" and not when either of the couples break it. Adultery only happens when a married woman is involved and that is why men of God in the bible could have more than one wife and in some cases even concubines. The truth is that what holds for the woman is not what holds for the man biblical. The man is seen as the owner of the wife and the man could decide to stick to one wife or acquire more.

[b]1 Corinthians 7:4 (King James Version)

4The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.

The Woman has the same authority to over what her husband does with his body as the the man has over her. If he requires that she should keep herself from other men; she can require him to keep himself from other women.
Sleeping with another woman apart from your spouse is you committing adultery against her and breaking the covenant of marriage  that you made. The man is supposed to love his wife as Christ loved the church which is to the extent that he laid his lfie down. A man who loves his wife will not consider another woman(concubine or 'new unlawful wife') at all. Adultery is not a woman only sin. It applies to both men and women and stems from uncontentment with what you already have and lust. A man who truly loves his wife will lay his life down rather than betray her(expose her to life-long rivalry and STDs).[/b]
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Nobody: 4:02pm On Nov 07, 2010
I believe it's a sin
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by KunleOshob(m): 6:13pm On Nov 07, 2010
@seyibrown
I don't believe in marrying more than one wife but there nowhere in the bible that it is described as a sin. I would live it at that.

1 Like

Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 12:24am On Nov 08, 2010
KunleOshob:

@seyibrown
I don't believe in marrying more than one wife but there nowhere in the bible that it is described as a sin. I would live it at that.

Neither does the Bible say it is a sin to 'hack' into your friends computer  . . . . . . . I'll leave it at that too! grin
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by mamagee3(f): 12:29am On Nov 08, 2010
Yes, it's highly immoral. . .

According to the bible, one man should be married to only one wife and one woman should marry only one husband.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 7:37am On Nov 08, 2010
Emade:

marrying more than one wife a sin.if yes were is it writing in de bible.god help us.

Polygamy is not a good thing. It creates atmosphere of evil, divisions, party,war, distrust, children grow up in strife and division. Tension and distraction. Favoouritism and bitterness and so on. That's why Paul says a polygamist should not be accepted in leadership.

But is it a sin ? No! It's a matter of being spared from trouble. Polygamy is trouble .

1 Like

Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 3:52pm On Nov 09, 2010
@Joagbaje

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

If Jesus equated looking at a woman lustfully to committing adultery, bearing in mind that only a 'married person' can commit adultery, how can that 'married man' now go beyond lusting in his heart, actually sleep with someone else(whether he 'unlawfully maries them or keeps them as a mistress) and it is not equal to adultery?
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 3:56pm On Nov 09, 2010
seyibrown:

@Joagbaje

Matthew 5:28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

If Jesus equated looking at a woman lustfully to committing adultery, bearing in mind that only a 'married person' can commit adultery, how can that 'married man' now go beyond lusting in his heart, actually sleep with someone else(whether he 'unlawfully maries them or keeps them as a mistress) and it is not equal to adultery?

If he marries her legally , it's not adultery. It's polygamy. Mind you I'm not recommending it o.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 4:00pm On Nov 09, 2010
I disagree, Joagbaje. A man who goes outside the covenant of Marriage with his wife commits adultery. As a child of God, how can your marriage vows say ' to the exclusion of all others' and you still go and bring an 'other' into your life? My using the word 'unlawful' was in reference to the marriage vows given that 'all other men or women are to be excluded'.

How can you say before God and man that you will stick to your wife only and then you go bring somebody else in? That is treachery and covenant-breaking (Malachi as quoted earlier)!

Numbers 30:2

If a man vow a vow unto the LORD,
or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond;
he shall not break his word,
he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.

Lev 27:9-10
And if it be a beast, whereof men bring an offering
unto the LORD, all that any man giveth of such unto the LORD shall be holy.
He shall not alter it, nor change it, a good for a bad, or a bad for a good

Psalms 25:20-21
O keep my soul, and deliver me:
let me not be ashamed;
for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me;
for I wait on thee.

Proverbs 12:22
Lying lips are abomination to the LORD:
but they that deal truly are his delight.

We are obliged to perform any vows we make before the Lord, we cannot change 'those vows', hence when you vow that you will exclude all others from your marriage covenant, YOU SHOULD PERFORM IT!! We are advised not to be hasty in making our vows. God hates lying lips!
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Joagbaje(m): 5:10pm On Nov 09, 2010
I agree with you. If it's stated in their vows like that . It depends on what vow they made.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by JeSoul(f): 5:42pm On Nov 09, 2010
Joagbaje, if you're willing, I'd like to do an "interview" thread on you, asking various questions. Would you mind? I'd like to understand you better. Thanks.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 6:15pm On Nov 09, 2010
Joagbaje, will you agree that 'the exclusion of all others' is an implied term where you do not expressly tell your wife-to-be that 'I am marrying you on the condition that you will let me marry more other wives while we are still together'? Whether you get married under a rock and stay mute throughout the ceremony, children of God still have a marriage covenant that is like that of ADAM and EVE before God.
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by Tonyet1(m): 6:46pm On Nov 09, 2010
I strongly believe 'something' could be 'wrong' yet not be a 'sin'. Therefore in assertion. . .I'll say marrying more than one can be wrong even though not a sin.

How?

Jesus when asked about the validities of divorce within the law of moses said: Yes, divorce under the law should stand, but FROM THE BEGINNING it wasnt so (matt.19:8. . .), therefore one should ponder: "If marrying two wives was good by design, maybe God would have paraded another 'eve' as second wife for Adam since afterall the first Eve misbehaved (bad wife). . .goes to tell us that FROM THE BEGINNING God expects us to keep to one wife whether she turns out as good or evil  grin

1 Like

Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by seyibrown(f): 9:03pm On Nov 09, 2010
.goes to tell us that FROM THE BEGINNING God expects us to keep to one wife whether she turns out as good or evil!

[b]
This part of your post actually brings me to Jesus saying that the only grounds for divorce was 'fornication' which many of us (me included) misinterpret as 'adultery'. Given that a married woman cannot commit fornication, there are no grounds for divorcing one's wife. Looking at the Jewish marriage customs, the man gives the wife-to-be's family any 'bride price' and he goes away for a period of time and comes back 'unannounced' to take his wife (Just like Jesus' second coming). If during the period of the groom's absence, the wife-to-be commits fornication and it becomes known after the wedding, that will be grounds to divorce her. It is similar to our waiting for the Lord, we ought to remain faithful till he comes and not fornicate with the world because he will arrive unannounced. Anything else the wife does during the marriage does not give grounds for divorce. Hosea was commanded to take his wife back despite her adultery, and God forgave and made a new covenant with Israel despite their 'adultery' with other gods.[/b]
Re: Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin by bashydemy(m): 11:20pm On Nov 09, 2010
am marrying my second wife soon grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ten Characteristics Of A Church Choir / Nigerian Abroad Sees A Black Cat, Prays: 'Aunty Nkechi I Rebuke You' / Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.