Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,762 members, 7,798,551 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

As Musician, I Was Equated With A Prostitute -onyeka Onwenu - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / As Musician, I Was Equated With A Prostitute -onyeka Onwenu (976 Views)

Phyno And Onyeka Onwenu Collaborate On A New Track / Onyeka Onwenu Celebrates Her 64th Birthday Today / Stunning Throwback Picture Of Onyeka Onwenu Performing On Stage Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

As Musician, I Was Equated With A Prostitute -onyeka Onwenu by AloyEmeka5: 11:17pm On Nov 02, 2010
[size=14pt]As Musician, I Was Equated With A Prostitute -Onyeka Onwenu[/size]

Font size: Published 02/11/2010 10:06:00 ADUNOLA FASUYI

Onyeka Onwenu could best be described as a woman of many parts. She is a broadcaster, actress, musician and lately, a politician. She has really come a long way and this much is seen in this interview with ADUNOLA FASUYI.

How long have you been in the music business professionally?
Next year will make it 30 years. I had my first professional work in 1981. So, I’m three decades in the business so to speak.

That is a long time. How would you describe the journey so far? The challenges and achievements?
Well, the journey has been awesome, God has manifested His hand in my calling. I will just say its been beautiful and I give God the glory. Of course, there were bad times and good times, which every business also experiences but by and large, I thank God. The greatest challenge was at the early stage, way back when being a female musician was almost equated to being a prostitute.

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=News-images/Onyeka_Onwenu_1_293769432.gif&size=article_small[/img]
Onyeka Onwenu

Operating in a male dominated profession then was hell, they see you as a prostitute, they feel they could talk and treat you anyhow. Oh, it was terrible! I always pay tribute to Christy Essien-Igbokwe, she is a great woman.

I met her in the industry and what we experienced then was hell. You can’t imagine what we went through and the media was not helping matters. In fact, they were a tool for those out to oppress and devastate us, but we were dogged, resolute and resilient.

Then piracy was not helping matters, so the bad stories written about me were an avenues for publicity for me. I didn’t care, but because for my children’s sake, I resorted to court to fight the character assassinations coming from the press. And to God’s glory, I won all. So, they left me and allowed me be.

We fought the struggle for women emancipation, acceptance and respect in the music industry. I was also part of those who fought for better pay and charges for the Nigerian artistes, especially when playing alongside the foreign ones.

The present artistes are enjoying the fruits of our struggle but I’m happy about that and that is one of my achievements. In my career, my major achievement is that I have been a major influence in the growth of Nigerian music industry. In my life generally, my major achievement is my children and I can give up anything for them! Then the beauty of knowing God.

At what point in life did you discover the talent in you?
I have been singing since I was three years. I think it’s more in the blood too because my mum sings and my maternal grandfather was a singer too.

As a child, I was referred to as the family entertainer, because I would sing and dance and excite everybody. In fact, I remember my grandma enjoyed my music and dance steps so much that she usually bribed me with oranges and bananas to entertain her.

So, I have been singing since I was three. And I have passion for it, I enjoy doing it, I have come to realise it’s my calling to touch lives positively and I thank God for He has been very good to me.

You have really gone a long way. How many albums have you released so far?
Now I have nine. I take my time on my works because they are inspirational, meant to impact positively and must be thoroughly done because I love perfection. Producing them all was very challenging but all came out beautifully.

Can you tell us more about your musical tour of the country?
Yes, we began a nationwide tour aimed at publicising my latest musical works; Legends, Nigeria @ 50 and Inspiration For Change, all of which were released three months ago. The tour is tagged; Inspiration For Change Tour and is part of the massive publicity strategy I am doing.

It will take me and my crew round the six geo-political zones of the country. The idea of the tour is to tell Nigerians about the need for attitudinal change; Inspiration for Change Tour is to further educate my fans and Nigerians in general on the essence of one man, one vote. It is about change in all facets of our nationhood. It is receiving massive acceptance.

The Run Goodluck Run album you did, you have said you produced it free of charge. Do you expect any money in return?
I did not do the album for money. It was an inspiration from God and let us say my contribution to national development. I produced it free of charge. People have been asking and some insinuating that I was given millions to do the album.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/top-stories/72888-Musician-Was-Equated-With-Prostitute--Onyeka-Onwenu.html
Re: As Musician, I Was Equated With A Prostitute -onyeka Onwenu by softgirl1: 11:55am On Nov 03, 2010
Did she eva got married who are the fether of her Boy"s
Re: As Musician, I Was Equated With A Prostitute -onyeka Onwenu by AloyEmeka5: 2:26pm On Nov 03, 2010
soft girl:

Did she eva got married who are the fether of her Boy"s

Their father is Yoruba but that was all she said about him. No name, no pictures.

(1) (Reply)

Must Watch! Lmaooooo / Beckham Slips Up In An Interview With Vogue / Apple Ceo Steve Jobs Has Just Six Weeks To Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.