Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,740 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! (38475 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 4:15am On Nov 03, 2010
Yorùbá culture is also known as Orisa culture.

90 million people in Argentina, Benin Republic, Brazil, Cuba, France, Germany, Ghana, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, UK, USA, Venezuela, and other places, practice this culture.

I'll be posting what I know, so stay tuned to learn about one of the lovely and fabulous cultures/traditions of one of the largest group in Nigeria, situated in the SW part of Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by oludashmi(f): 12:25pm On Nov 04, 2010
Ileke-Idi, ba wo ni o . . .se gbogbo e n se jom jom?

Post yours and some us to will join you . . .I wish the lady (bammkake) that said she is related to yoruba in the tribalism/racism section would come in and learn. brb.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Obiagu1(m): 3:29pm On Nov 04, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yorùbá culture is also known as Orisa culture.

90 million people in Argentina, Benin Republic, Brazil, Cuba, France, Germany, Ghana, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, UK, USA, Venezuela, and other places, practice this culture.

I'll be posting what I know, so stay tuned to learn about one of the lovely and fabulous cultures/traditions of one of the largest group in Nigeria, situated in the SW part of Nigeria!

90 million people Na u biko!
Na now I know say u be coconut head.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 4:03am On Nov 05, 2010
Obiagu1:

90 million people Na u biko!
Na now I know say u be coconut head.

You do know that I am not only talking abt Yorubas as in Nigeria, right? Did you see those countries listed? Okay.
So if you have nothing else to add, move on.

oludashmi:

Ileke-Idi, ba wo ni o . . .se gbogbo e n se jom jom?

Post yours and some us to will join you . . .I wish the lady (bammkake) that said she is related to yoruba in the tribalism/racism section would come in and learn. brb.

ahh mo wa jare. o kan re mi die die na ni.

I will post am this weekend, def. Lol if she reads it, o daa na, sugbon emi kan fe test nkan ti mo moh nipa awon Yoruba ni.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Obiagu1(m): 2:05am On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You do know that I am not only talking abt Yorubas as in Nigeria, right? Did you see those countries listed? Okay.
So if you have nothing else to add, move on.

That even makes you a bigger coconut head.
How could there be more Yoruba outside Yorubaland when they didn’t colonize any country and moved there in droves
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 06, 2010
Obiagu1:

That even makes you a bigger coconut head.
How could there be more Yoruba outside Yorubaland when they didn’t colonize any country and moved there in droves

Dude you're @&$&wink.

Did the yorubas colonize UK? Are there not large group of yorubas there? Like WTF?

Am out. . . Will be back to post info jare

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Obiagu1(m): 2:43am On Nov 06, 2010
. . . and that makes you a very very big coconut head.

Yorubas in Nigeria, < 30 million; Yorubas outside Nigeria, > 60 million, like WTF!
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 06, 2010
[size=18pt]A nation of 90 million STRONG, the Yoruba ppl of West Africa Presents. . . .
[/size]

[size=18pt]EXPOSURE TO ONE OF AFRICA'S MOST WELL PRESERVED CULTURE.[/size]
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 06, 2010
The name "Yoruba" is of more recent origin than the concept. It was originally the Hausa name for the Oyo kingdom , meaning "the people of the state of Oyo", and was given a wider use by missionaries only in the 1840s. Oyo was the pre-eminent city-state of the Yoruba between the 16th and 18th centuries, but it was not the only one. The people of the City of Benin speak a closely related language. They also trace the ancestry of the institution of kingship to Ife.

Yorubaland is not a country, although the number of people now calling themselves Yoruba is greater than the population of many with a seat in the United Nations. No one really knows how many Yoruba there are [Could be more or less than 90 millions]. There may be as many as 20 million speaking a dialect of the Yoruba language.

The vast majority live in the south west of Nigeria, but a considerable number make up one of the major cultural groups in the neighbouring Republic of Benin (not to be confused with the City of Benin). There are also enclaves in Togo, particularly around the town of Atakpame. A considerable number of people around the world can also claim Yoruba ancestry.

WHERE ARE YORUBA PPL FOUND?

Map showing the greatest concentrations of Yoruba around the globe
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 06, 2010
Subgroups of the Yoruba in Nigeria include the Awori, the Ijesha, the Oyo, the Ife, the Egba, the Egbado, the Ketu, the Ijebu, the Ondo, the Ekiti     kiss kiss, the Yagba, and the Igbomina. These subgroups have been described as belonging to a distinct cultural category because of such binding factors as a generally intelligible language, myth of common origin, and basically similar political structures.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Nov 06, 2010
Yoruba marriage forms have been influenced by Christian and Muslim marriage practices in all the three phases even as the steps to Yoruba marriage project a decidedly traditional outer form. In marriages in contemporary Yoruba society, the modernized Yoruba cling tenaciously to this outer form as a proof of loyalty to the original culture. Traditional Yoruba courtship and marriage must be understood in the context of the impact of the precolonial, colonial, and post-colonial periods.

The family is the most sacred and significant institution to the Yoruba, who are child-centered, ruled by the elderly, and controlled by adults. The family is an effective unit of political control, religious affiliation, resource allocation, and assurance of safety. It is also the most effective agent of socialization. The family teaches the first lessons in  discipline, personal gratitude, and affection.

The family is where young people are exposed to their first preferences and prejudices. In the family, the lessons in honor and shame are learned, just as are the first lessons in dissembling to avoid the truth that may injure the well-being of the community. More poignantly, it is in and through the copious lessons in religious symbolism learned in the family that one comes to understand the cyclical and connected way of life in the here and now, the future, and the hereafter. Many Yoruba proverbs reiterate the view that the dead gave birth to the living, and the living ought to give birth to and nurture the children who represent the future.

BEAUTIFUL BRIDE.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 06, 2010
Respect is so embedded in our culture, that in every move we make, we must not neglect is. During a wedding, Respect is a must!
During the ceremony, both the bride and the groom must acknowledge the family they're marrying into. Respect for an in-law's blessing is such an important aspect of our culture that we cherish it on our wedding day.

Below are the pictures of bride and groom prostrating to receive their in-law's blessing. The bride's parent bless their children goodbye because from them on, she must cleave on to her new family [husband's family]. No, it does not mean she must neglect her own family, just means that she now has a new family she must treat as her own. She is expected to respect her in-laws, she's expected to treat them as their own.

HUSBAND and his men greeting the bride's parents and receiving their blessing.

BRIDE and mother In-Law [If happiness and respect can be achieved between the two, the marriage will flourish without war wink]

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 06, 2010
What is significant about a yoruba bride putting on the fila [hat] on her man?

Same as saying "I Do, I Will".

It's not a must tho

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 06, 2010
The study of the Yoruba marriage is verse and deeply cultural.
Yorubas do not just bring home any man/woman and just expect to get married.

Traditional marriage consists of two parts. The Introduction & The Engagement. It is now common for these two to flow into each other as they are held on the same day while the wedding ceremony for a Christian couple takes place the following day in the church. This is akin to the practice in the Biblical times when a bride is betrothed to her husband but the wedding celebration is at a future time.

The Introduction [/b]is the part of the ceremony where the groom’s family introduces themselves to the bride’s family and also makes known their intention to ask for the hand of the bride (from the bride’s family) in marriage to their son. This is done through the help of a spokesperson on both sides of the families. The spokesperson on the groom’s side is referred to as The Standing Chairman (“alaga iduro” in the Yoruba language). The spokesperson on the bride’s side is referred to as The Sitting Chairman (“alaga ijoko” in the Yoruba language). Most of the exchanges will be between The Standing Chairman and The Sitting Chairman.
A proposal letter written by the groom is presented to the bride’s family and in return, an acceptance letter is given to the groom’s family and the engagement follows.

[b]The Engagement
is the part where the groom’s family is expected to bring the items listed in the engagement list given to them. This list is often agreed upon ahead of time and may include some of the following items: yams, honey, salt, fish, drinks, a suitcase of clothes for the bride, The Bible, an engagement ring, etc. Each of these items has its own significant symbolism which serves as the spring board for prayers during the ceremony. The groom will present the bride with her engagement ring. Both the bride and groom are then prayed for by the heads of both families including their parents and others appointed on each family’s behalf.
After prayers, families and friends of the bride and groom are invited to eat and dance.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 06, 2010
As you all know, dancing is a VERY VERY important part of the Yoruba culture [ lol my mom is always chiding me when I refuse to dance  tongue tongue].
So dancing is an important factor in our wedding ceremony, especially when the bride is being "danced" down the aisle lol.
Some prefer to walk, others prefer to dance. Makes it more joyous

COMPARE THESE PIXS. Which one is more joyous, dance or without the dance  tongue tongue

DANCING THE BRIDE TO THE WEDDING CEREMONY ---> In the Yoruba culture, it is usually expected to dance the bride from her house to the wedding location [if the distance is not that far]. This is to showcase to the people of that location that she is getting married, and to also showcase her beauty  wink
During this, the people amongst her will dance and sing.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 8:31pm On Nov 06, 2010
Very beautiful pictures Ileke-Idi!
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 8:32pm On Nov 06, 2010
And very beautiful Yoruba women. Lord have mercy! shocked
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Very beautiful pictures Ileke-Idi!
EzeUche0:

And very beautiful Yoruba women. Lord have mercy! shocked

awww, thanks.

@post
will be back for more Yoruba culture.
Oluwadashmi, I expect some info from you.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 06, 2010
A Lil Story:

Yoruba sayings goes like this "It takes a village to raise a child" and " Two eyes gave birth to a child, but 200 eyes will raise the child". These sayings emphasize how important RESPECT is regarded in our culture. With every move we make and every breath we take, one's elder must be respected.
Even in our language, the words we use to address our mates MUST NOT be used to address our elders. If a child misbehaves outside, a Yoruba elder can correct the child. The parent of the child will thank the elder in shame and ofcourse punish the child at home.

For example;
When we greet our mates good morning, we say " kaaro". When we greet our elders, we prostrate and say "E Kaaro" The "E" signifies respect and acknowledgment of age difference. This does not only apply to children, but also to adults greeting their elders.

It's not uncommon for a sibling to use the prefixes "uncle" and "aunty" while mentioning her elder sibling's name.

We prostrate for our elders when we greet them, we smile and greet enthusiastically. Below illustrates how we greet our elders in YORUBALAND.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_eRjmzo0kME8/Swa8XIQ2UlI/AAAAAAAABhY/Ux4AzbWaux4/s640/DOBALE%25202.jpg[/img]
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 9:07pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

awww, thanks.

@post
will be back for more Yoruba culture.

Your welcome. cheesy

Yoruba culture is so beautiful!

From the clothing and cultural practices. Wonderful indeed.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Your welcome. cheesy

Yoruba culture is so beautiful!

From the clothing and cultural practices. Wonderful indeed.

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 06, 2010
MORE ON RESPECT

When I was younger, I've been beaten by my neighbors for misbehaving. As I grew up, it became clear to me that the more an outsider corrects my action, the more shame I bring unto my parents. Anytime I go to a family or neighbor's house, when asked to eat, I'd often respond with "No". I look unto my parent's face to decide my answers. If my grandma winks her nose or move her lips somehow, it means she wants me to say "no". Sometime when I get in trouble in the midst of a crowd, I'd be secretly pinched right away to let me know I'm in trouble.

Every move I made was not only a reflection on my character, but also on my HOUSE [How we were disciplined]. Even till now, when I greet, I knee down on BOTH of my knees.

In Yorubaland, the best achievement for a parent is to hear another person commend them on how well they've trained their children. Therefore, we spend most of our time being harsh on our children to train them up. So a child who was not trained at home will be trained outside of the home.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 9:42pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

kiss kiss kiss

Maybe you can teach me personally some aspects about your culture and I can do the same. wink
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

Maybe you can teach me personally some aspects about your culture and I can do the same. wink
My dear, no problem.
But I'd need ya to tell your crush [bk.babe97y] to step off my back wink
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 9:56pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

My dear, no problem.
But I'd need ya to tell your crush [bk.babe97y] to step off my back wink

I thought he was your crush? shocked Handle the wayward Yoruba boy. He only wants to fit in.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

I thought he was your crush? shocked Handle the wayward Yoruba boy. He only wants to fit in.
You thought wrong, homie.
Ask him why he always mentions your name then come back and gimme me the answer.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 10:14pm On Nov 06, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

You thought wrong, homie.
Ask him why he always mentions your name then come back and gimme me the answer.

You always mention my name as well cutie.  wink

E bu ndum, ifunanyam and akarakam. smiley
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 06, 2010
EzeUche0:

You always mention my name as well cutie.  wink

E bu ndum, ifunanyam and akarakam. smiley
I do? Oh really.

Translate.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 12:44am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I do? Oh really.

Translate.

I am actually speaking sweeting nothing. Feeling a little lovey dovey. Just keep on uploading those beautiful Yoruba pictures.
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 1:12am On Nov 07, 2010
hmmmm
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by EzeUche0(m): 2:43am On Nov 07, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

hmmmm

Cute face. . .

Cute lips. . .

Voluptuous body! Hmmmm cheesy
Re: Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! by Nobody: 2:46am On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

Cute face. . .

Cute lips. . .

Voluptuous body! Hmmmm cheesy

Yes, those women are beautiful lol. But they're married.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Visits 8-Month-Old Baby Raped By Her Mum's Friend's Husband / Hausa Durbar In Pictures / Sweet Egun Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.