Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:01 PM

Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees (2716 Views)

Oil Tycoon Gives $100,000 Christmas Bonus To Each Of His 1,400 Employees!!! / Tips To Hire Your First Employees (for First Time Entreprenuers / Anyone Interested In Managing Trucks‏? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees by Nobody: 12:47am On May 19, 2007
Hi Marylanders,

I need an idea of how to manage illiterate employees in a transportation company, I just joined a joined my family business as the managing director after a few years abroad, but am finding it hard to manage the illiterate staffs in the company, they seems not be going by the rules and regulations of the company and this is affecting my contributions to the growth of the company. The employees are up to 100 in number.

Please I need your advice.

thank you.
Re: Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees by DisGuy: 1:04am On May 19, 2007
Managing Change very good book
have you had any management experience/training at all or you were just giving the position?
Re: Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees by mrofficial(m): 2:02am On May 19, 2007
illiterates? na wa hooo
Having illiterates as employees, Mr if the job is not good for illiterates, you know what to do. And also, it depends on amount your company is paying, if you think the salary is ok for literate ones, then go fix it.
Re: Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees by Seun(m): 9:06am On May 19, 2007
Do you realise that the problem might be with you and not with them? Afterall, they have been doing their jobs just fine for years before they joined the company. You need to try to appreciate and respect their contributions to the business instead of thinking of them as "illiterates". You are the underdog, and they have a lot to teach you!
Re: Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees by dafidixone(m): 3:34pm On May 19, 2007
Do you need training on People /Team Mangement? or you need professional advice with hand out on group mangement? call 08033979979 or mail globalvilkoncept@yahoo.com.
Re: Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees by feelgood(m): 7:04pm On May 20, 2007
How would you like to be managed if you were the 'illiterate' employee? Go thou and do likewise.
Seun, that was spot on
Re: Advice Needed In Managing Illiterate Employees by DisGuy: 7:28pm On May 20, 2007
not neccessarily,

Seun:

Do you realise that the problem might be with you and not with them? Afterall, they have been doing their jobs just fine for years before they joined the company. You need to try to appreciate and respect their contributions to the business instead of thinking of them as "illiterates". You are the underdog, and they have a lot to teach you!

someone that is getting 50% can be said to be doing just fine, what if 'just fine' is not good enough anymore?

1) Have a clear strategic Vision of the organisations new strategy and of the shared values and behaviour needed to make it work. this is the purpose and direction for cultural change.

2) Top management commitment. cultural change must be managed from the top of the organisation. Senior managers and admin need to be strongly commited to the new values and need to creaste constant presure for change.

3)Symbolic leadership. Senior management/executives must communicate the new culture through their own actions.your behaviour need to symbolise the kind of values and behaviours being sought.

4) change must be accompanied by supporting modification in organisational change

5) Organisational membership.one of the most effective methods of cultural change is to change the organisational membership. People can be selected in terms of their fit with the new culture, and provided with an induction clearly indicating desired attitudes and behaviour. Existing staff who cannot adapt to the new ways may have their employement terminated through early retirement schemes. this is especially important in key leadership positions,where peoples actions can significantly promote or hinder new values and behaviours.

Simply adopting the above to change an organisation culture without understanding the nature of its existing culture and how this is sustained is not likely to be successful.

As you can see i'm on holiday typing straight from my handouts anyway sha wheres my money for the consultation grin

six sigma black belt

(1) (Reply)

Is There Really Anything Like Blood Money? / Is MMM Networking Real Or Fake? -an Analysis Of The MMM Social Financial Network / The MMM Stupidity: Why We Must All Join Hands To Kill It!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.