Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,924 members, 7,806,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria (18935 Views)

Buratai Arrests Soldiers Involved In Benue Killings, Hands Them Over To NHRC / The Fiery Volcanic Speech By Israeli Prime Minister At The UN General Assembly / Campaign Bill Boards Of President Jonathan Destroyed In Benue(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by MaiSuya(m): 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2010
I doubt if there any such thing. I happen to be not too far from the where the volcano supposedly erupted, but didn't hear a thing. Don't know where vanguard got that story from  
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by yabadabado: 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2010
earthquake and volcanicity is prone to the circum pacific ring/zone on this planet  , and nigeria is not located in this area  but this is not entirely surprising  more will follow in the strangest places around the earth.
we must start to question our institutions /leaders/systems on how to  react to emergencies, this is what a proactive race/people/government would do.
flooding in a place like sokoto which usually does't get enough rain.

nigeria has not suffer a great many natural disaster{this i don't pray for in my beloved nigeria}  but it remains to be seen how we will react.  then we will know that it nonsense to talk about tribalism and zoning  muslim/christian divison etc some of these disaster has engender unity and brotherlyness in nation, it has also broken some nation like it almost did in katrina, but it sure did in the case of bangledish,
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by MaiSuya(m): 6:53pm On Nov 06, 2010
edoyad:

Pix of the eruption from mount otupko.

Bros who give you that fake photo? BTW Otukpo is miles away from the area of the alleged volcano.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Eretare(m): 6:55pm On Nov 06, 2010
This story is not credible. In what world does Benue state share a border with Cameroon.
Some journalists are just plain dumb.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by seyibrown(f): 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2010
All those blaming journalists for the unavailability of photos, let me ask you this in Nigerian speak: Una get Journalist brother wey we fit send go take the photos? Just in case another eruption occurs while he is taking the photos?  grin

Photos will surface soon!
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Beaf: 7:05pm On Nov 06, 2010
[size=14pt]Volcanic eruptions in Benue[/size]
• 1 killed, property destroyed
From ROSE EJEMBI, Makurdi
Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tragedy struck yesterday in Mkomon District, Kwande Local Government Area, Benue State, a border community to Cameroun, when volcanic eruptions on a mountain claimed the life of one person as well as destroyed property worth millions of naira.

Saturday Sun gathered that the tragedy occurred while residents of the community were attending the annual thanksgiving service of the local church. Terzungwer Iorhemen, a member of the community, told our correspondent that midway into the thanksgiving service, vibrations on the earth overwhelmed the area, located at the Cameroun boundary.

“While the thanksgiving service was going on, we suddenly noticed heavy vibrations in the mountain bordering the area with Cameroun Republic, which was followed by a sudden eruption from six points on the mountainous terrain,” he said.
He disclosed that the vibrations were followed by the eruption of lava from the mountain covering wells, streams, trees and houses in the area, leaving residents with no other option than to flee for their lives.

While people were scampering for safety, due to the effect of the vibrations and the lava eruption, it was gathered that a young boy, who wanted to have a feel of the lava, was killed. Villagers tried effortlessly to save the boy, but failed.
Sources said that many villagers of the Mkomon district are still on the run for fear of further volcanic emissions from the mountain.

Residents of the affected community have deserted their homes, as sources of potable water have been polluted by the heavy magma emitted from the eruption.
Saturday Sun gathered that the accident has been reported to the paramount ruler of the community, the Ter Kwande, Chief James Atzape and the local government council leadership, just as desperate moves were being made to evacuate the affected inhabitants to safety.
Attempts to reach the local government council chairman on phone for comments proved abortive. When our reporter called at the Benue State Emergency Management Agency, executive secretary of the agency, Adikpo Agbatse, was said to have led other officials

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/nov/06/national-06-11-2010-001.htm

Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Beaf: 7:12pm On Nov 06, 2010
[size=14pt]Possible eruption from the Oku Volcanic Field in Cameroon[/size]

Erik Klemetti on November 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
There are a couple brief articles that an eruption has occurred near the border region of Cameroon and Nigeria - in the state of Benue, which is midway along of the eastern border of the two countries. The report claims that "vibrations on the earth overwhelmed the area" and that then there was a "a sudden eruption from six points on the mountainous terrain", which then "lava from the mountain cover[ed] wells, streams, trees and houses in the area". People in the vicinity had to flee, but one person died in the "eruption" and many buildings were damaged. Also, water supplies were contaminated by the lava - although the report says that it was "polluted by the heavy magma," which feels like a missed translation. Overall, this sounds like a basaltic lava flow or flows that came from previously unidentified vents - and the fact it was described as "six points" makes me think it could be a fissue eruption.

Figuring out exactly was is erupting is a little perplexing. First, there aren't any known active volcanoes in Nigeria near the state of Benue. Beyond the idea that the report if false or the location is wrong, we can look at a map of the known active volcanoes in neighboring Cameroon. The best suspect is the Oku Volcanic Field, which is a field of cinder cones and maars near the border with Nigeria, but in Cameroon. The field is part of a large Mt. Oku, which is a stratovolcano that is now cut by a caldera. There are no historical eruptions of the field, but it does host volcanic lakes like Lake Nyos and Monoun, both of which had catastrophic carbon dioxide releases in 1986 and 1984, respectively. These releases may have been a product of phreatic explosions that overturned the lake waters, but this has never been confirmed. If this eruption is, in fact, from the Oku Volcanic Field, it will be the first subaereal eruption there on record.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/24846
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Beaf: 7:14pm On Nov 06, 2010
Eretare:

This story is not credible. In what world does Benue state share a border with Cameroon.
Some journalists are just plain dumb.

Helloooooooooooo!!!!!!

Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 7:16pm On Nov 06, 2010
Wonderful.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 06, 2010
l̴͖̲̖̱͎͋́̀̏̀͂͜ơ̴̢̘͖͖̟͔̲͉̣̖̒͐̑̑̈́̀̓̆̑͒̏̈́̽̇͌͆̚͘r̴̢̛͕̞̠̼̥͇͙̥̥̗̼͎̰̻̗̩̹̬̰̜̰̪̜̯͈̓̇͆͜ę̴̧̦̩̞̫̬̫͓̫̟̣͖̝̤̩̱̻͌̆̈̅̊̇̈́̄͒͆͂̒̋͗̀́͐̚͜͜m̵̳̬͎̦̼̖͙̻̞̲̳͎͖̤̜͙̞̘̪̥͈̮̲̫̈́̂̑̓̅͌̉̃̄́̎̈́͛̔̃̈͒͛̆̉̉̍̍͌̅̒̿͘͝ͅͅ ̸̨̛̛̮̱͖͇̗͉͙̭͉͕͖̯̼͂̀̆̔̀̽̿̆͐͑͑̀̈́̈͂͒̽̅̒́̒̚͘̚̚̕͝ͅͅͅį̷̨͚̜͖̪̯̦̼̹̤͇̱͕̹̯̓̂̎͊̎͐͊͂̽̈́͊̅̈̏̋͗̀̾̎̂̀̚͝ͅp̵̡͖̱̮̹̫͖̱̺͖͚̙͇̘͈̥̭͎̅̃͗͒̒̐̀̽͑̕̕̕͜͜ş̵̧̛͚͎̘̹̻̩͉̩͕͕͍̲̼̳̲̬͖̟͊̒̽̊͛͂͒̍̇̾̅̀̑̽̆͌̈́͒̀̒́̒̏̚͝͠u̸̧̫̯͉̥̬̗͚̹͙̇̑̾͌̃͌̈́̉̀͛̍̂̄̃̑͝m̵̨̧̛̲̰̰̫̰̖̗̟͉̝͚̯̞̮̪̝͚̯͔̖̻͉͈̫̫̩̞͗̀̈́̅͆̽̆̎͐͂͆̐̾͊̆͝ ̵̛̛̯̮͍͎̜̖̥̫̱͕̥̻̖̮͈̖͎̯͊̒̉̔̔̓̀̍̆̈̊̈́̀͑̓̎̓̄̚͘͜͠͝n̵̟̜̗̩̬̯̫͇̝̙̖̟͋́̒̾̃͒͊̂̇̔͌̎͌̂͠ͅả̸̡͇̟͕̓̾͗̋̄͆̆̒͆̃͐͝i̵̢̧̧̮̞̺̻̝̬̤̲͉̟̟̺̙̣̣̭̘̱̰͇̦̍̌̀̒̎̒͋̊͐̇̿̌͛̓̓͑̆́̉͊͗̿́͘͜͝r̵̻̱̼̣̊̏͂͌̎͊̿̈͂̒͂́̐̔͂̅̅̀͘͝a̵̢͓͉̪̯̯͕̲͔̘͎͓͖̅̄͌̓̈́̒̾̇̀̈́̊̐̋͊̏̎͒̆̊̈̿̑̀͋̒̕̕͠ͅͅl̵̺̩̙̣͉̙͍̱͉͚͖̬̻̮͒̓̄́̀̋̈́͋̈̚͠ḁ̷̛̼̤͔̩̱̜̱̯̦̭̗͓̘͈͔̹̟̥̹̈́̇̔̄̂̀̔͂̏́̆͂̀̀̈́̑͐̇̓͒͊̕̕͝͝n̴̢̛̥͇͇̤̓̎̅̐͑̔͒̐͆͒̾͗̒̓̒́̓̾͗̒͜͝͝ḑ̴̧̨̝̞̦̯̯̠̺̭̭̗̭̱̯͉̹͔̪̦̉͂̋̽̿͑̃̽̐͐͋̌̏͌͑͗̀̎͜͠͠͝͠
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by chyz(m): 7:30pm On Nov 06, 2010
Now i hope that this pic Sun News posted convinces you about the lie that these people are telling. Clearly that volcano pic is not in or from nigeria. I've seen this one many times before and im sure you have too.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/nov/06/national-06-11-2010-001.htm
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Mobinga: 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Volcanic eruptions in Benue[/size]
• 1 killed, property destroyed
From ROSE EJEMBI, Makurdi
Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tragedy struck yesterday in Mkomon District, Kwande Local Government Area, Benue State, a border community to Cameroun, when volcanic eruptions on a mountain claimed the life of one person as well as destroyed property worth millions of naira.

Saturday Sun gathered that the tragedy occurred while residents of the community were attending the annual thanksgiving service of the local church. Terzungwer Iorhemen, a member of the community, told our correspondent that midway into the thanksgiving service, vibrations on the earth overwhelmed the area, located at the Cameroun boundary.

“While the thanksgiving service was going on, we suddenly noticed heavy vibrations in the mountain bordering the area with Cameroun Republic, which was followed by a sudden eruption from six points on the mountainous terrain,” he said.
He disclosed that the vibrations were followed by the eruption of lava from the mountain covering wells, streams, trees and houses in the area, leaving residents with no other option than to flee for their lives.

While people were scampering for safety, due to the effect of the vibrations and the lava eruption, it was gathered that a young boy, who wanted to have a feel of the lava, was killed. Villagers tried effortlessly to save the boy, but failed.
Sources said that many villagers of the Mkomon district are still on the run for fear of further volcanic emissions from the mountain.

Residents of the affected community have deserted their homes, as sources of potable water have been polluted by the heavy magma emitted from the eruption.
Saturday Sun gathered that the accident has been reported to the paramount ruler of the community, the Ter Kwande, Chief James Atzape and the local government council leadership, just as desperate moves were being made to evacuate the affected inhabitants to safety.
Attempts to reach the local government council chairman on phone for comments proved abortive. When our reporter called at the Benue State Emergency Management Agency, executive secretary of the agency, Adikpo Agbatse, was said to have led other officials

JEEEZZZZEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!! This SUN NEWS is the FAKEST AND MOST ANNOYING EVER!!!!!

So while the Lava/Magma was Sprouting out, some pilots had the guts to fly up there just to take a pic?

INSANE!!!
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by pannyman(m): 7:53pm On Nov 06, 2010
@Eretare, Benue does indeed border Cameroon. This report however is dubious because even in the Vanguard of today where I saw the story, it is tucked away in page 3. I expect that such a big story would make the front page. Also I have not yet heard it on the electronic media. The real situation should get clearer in a few days I hope.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Rastamann: 7:54pm On Nov 06, 2010
Natural occurence can happen anywhre and at any time, so if it is true, no surprises.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Okijajuju1(m): 8:52pm On Nov 06, 2010
As a geo let me state that it is not impossible for a volcano to erupt anywhere, but that isnt the case cause there are places that are naturally susceptible to such occurences. All it takes for mamga to leak to the earths surface is a crack in the ground that leads all the way to the earths crust and subsequent pressure build up in the crust that forces the magma to push through the cracks and fissure to the surface.

But for a volcano to erupt, there are usually warning vibrations that come for days prior to the actual eruption. And why on earth hasnt the darn Nigerian media put out any pictures?! mamga pictures, ash clouds or even use google earth to take a bleeping picture. This is another one of those "text messages on the Abuja bombers phone" kind of news.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by honeric01(m): 9:19pm On Nov 06, 2010
Nigerian journalists, what did they go to learn in school self? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by binhozie(m): 12:07am On Nov 07, 2010
Did sun actually put that picture, as the one taken from the benue eruptions?
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by balo(m): 12:17am On Nov 07, 2010
Haven't you heard they were also responsible for the haiti earthquakes. No jokes. All the "facts" are here on nairaland.

Hopefully, you understand sarcasm.

ElRazur, You could be right bro. No jokes now, but there is a technology capable of creating earthquakes, volcanoes, drought and any other "natural" disasters, anywhere "they" feel like creating it on the earth surface. The technology is called HAARP - High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program, founded by the US. Like you said, some have attributed the earthquake in Haiti to this tech, as it is believed "they" were testing its capacity to destroy. Some have even termed it the real Weapon of Mass Destruction. I have been doing a kinda research on this tech since 2009 but all I'm getting is linking the tech to the Illuminati, End Time and stuffs like that. The tech is also capable of producing Holograms, like 3-D images of Jesus, Mohammed, d devil, Buddhist god or any other religious stuff like that in the sky. Conspiracy theories about this tech is kinda scary. Anyhow sha, God dey.

Meanwhile, chief, can u pls post d link of where d "facts" were discussed on NL, maybe I can get some info there. Thanks bro.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Engrdan(m): 12:27am On Nov 07, 2010
this s a signs dat d world s coming 2 an end.do u have JESUS CHRIST has ur personal lord and saviour? think of these now, choose HIM into ur life now tomorrow may be late 4 u.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by amor4ce(m): 12:50am On Nov 07, 2010
For those whose feet are too quick to spread doubt, see
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=28428

And for those criticizing the picture on the Sun newspaper, my guess is that it was probably put there to give unfamiliar readers an idea of what such volcanic activities may look like. Also, earth tremors were felt sometime in the eighties and somewhere in the southwestern region of Nigeria.

There is no need to condemn the journalists. Besides, we do not know how accessible the affected region is by land; neither do I know of any media house that gets its own aerial photographs. We also do not know about the standard of living and lifestyles over there and as such ought to refrain from making assumptions that a lot of the inhabitants should have mobile phones and mobile phones with cameras for that matter.

Just think of this, which telecommunications company would want to set up masts in mountainous areas with a population that might be viewed as not much to be commercially viable? Please note that I am assuming that the volcanic activity, if true, occurred in a mountainous region.
Another point is that a combination of 'difficult' terrain and inadequate telecommunications coverage can stand in the way of journalists' timely access to the site and their feedback to their respective media houses. Those of us reading this and who followed the 1999 and 2007 elections should try to remember how long it took for election results to be collated from certain areas due to similar factors.

All I am saying is that we should avoid making assumptions so as to avoid judging blindly and foolishly. Time will tell whether or not this volcanic eruption story is true or not.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by globalsys7: 1:03am On Nov 07, 2010
Why are nigerians so gullible? Why must we continue being scapegoats at this age of information? There is no volcano in nigeria and if there was it would be highly inactive. A volcanic eruption is a serious issue and it would have attracted international media. So far nothing just a mediocre newspaper company in its misconception of professional journalism. Come on people we are better than this,
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by chiegemba(f): 1:08am On Nov 07, 2010
hahaha! nicee 1, smiley
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by amor4ce(m): 1:11am On Nov 07, 2010
@globalsys7, please engage in some due diligence before posting. Jos plateau is the site of many volcanoes that have not erupted in a long while. Also, do you know of Biu plateau? Why insist that there are no volcanoes in Nigeria when Cameroon, our next-door neighbour, has active ones by our border.

http://www.volcanolive.com/nigeria.html

Besides, by what metrics do you use to ascribe Vanguard and Sun as 'mediocre'? My advice is that we should wait for perhaps another day for pictorial verification by journalists, scientists and the FG, and yourself if you are willing to go there on behalf of all interested parties (inclusive of NLders).
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Okijajuju1(m): 2:51am On Nov 07, 2010
amor4ce:

For those whose feet are too quick to spread doubt, see
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=28428

And for those criticizing the picture on the Sun newspaper, my guess is that it was probably put there to give unfamiliar readers an idea of what such volcanic activities may look like. Also, earth tremors were felt sometime in the eighties and somewhere in the southwestern region of Nigeria.

There is no need to condemn the journalists. Besides, we do not know how accessible the affected region is by land; neither do I know of any media house that gets its own aerial photographs. We also do not know about the standard of living and lifestyles over there and as such ought to refrain from making assumptions that a lot of the inhabitants should have mobile phones and mobile phones with cameras for that matter.

Just think of this, which telecommunications company would want to set up masts in mountainous areas with a population that might be viewed as not much to be commercially viable? Please note that I am assuming that the volcanic activity, if true, occurred in a mountainous region.
Another point is that a combination of 'difficult' terrain and inadequate telecommunications coverage can stand in the way of journalists' timely access to the site and their feedback to their respective media houses. Those of us reading this and who followed the 1999 and 2007 elections should try to remember how long it took for election results to be collated from certain areas due to similar factors.

All I am saying is that we should avoid making assumptions so as to avoid judging blindly and foolishly. Time will tell whether or not this volcanic eruption story is true or not.

Next time before you come here come dey raise shoulder anyhow dey form unnescessary gra-gra make you dey sure say you hold gun for pocket or say you carry evidence for hand.

Here is an excerpt from the link you provided;

The link wey that bros put:
A volcanic eruption has occurred at the mountainous Mkomon district of Kwande Local government of Benue State with one person feared dead while properties worth millions of Naira have also been destroyed. Residents of the affected community have deserted their homes in search of safer place. Sources of portable water have been polluted by the heavy magma emitted from the eruption. Vanguard gathered from eye witnesses that there were heavy vibrations around the mountains at the border with Cameroun Republic, followed by eruptions at six points on the mountainous terrain. The vibrations spewed magma which covered streams and hand dug wells and the entire community leaving the people without portable water. At the moment, there is panic amongst the people who are said to be cut off completely from the rest of the world as a result of the occurrence and damages to roads and bridges which was occasioned by the heavy vibration.

[The volcano is unknow. This report is very troublesome (if this is true), becouse the report said: "followed by eruptions at six points on the mountainous terrain." We need more information, etc: crater width, eruption points, coordinate. So, we please to you, that this report use with incredulity. RSOE EDIS]
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by 3kay945(m): 4:31am On Nov 07, 2010
could this be true?
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by moremi2008(m): 5:52am On Nov 07, 2010
There has been a Tsunami in a remote part of Lagos!!!! Thousands feared dead!!!!
grin grin grin grin

Nigerians will believe anything!
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by invisible2(m): 6:11am On Nov 07, 2010
moremi2008:

There has been a Tsunami in a remote part of Lagos!!!! Thousands feared dead!!!!
grin grin grin grin

Nigerians will believe anything!

its true, they said it washed many cars and buses with passengers into the ocean. This is a real tragedy. We need to go out and help those affected.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by moremi2008(m): 6:21am On Nov 07, 2010
invisible!:

its true, they said it washed many cars and buses with passengers into the ocean. This is a real tragedy. We need to go out and help those affected.

And this is how false rumours get started! Before you know it, Sun newspaper has this on its front page.
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Okijajuju1(m): 6:33am On Nov 07, 2010
With this picture on its front cover;

Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 07, 2010
^^^^ lmao!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 6:52am On Nov 07, 2010
JESUS CHRIST !!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Okija juju, I HOPE THAT PIX ABOVE IS PHOTO SHOPPED AND NOT REAL ?.?.? (with his eyes stil WIDE open) shocked shocked shocked
Re: Volcanic Eruption In Benue State Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 7:17am On Nov 07, 2010
one of the victims of the bomblast

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Orji Uzor Kalu Resigns From PPA, The Party He Formed With His Money / Bako Distances Self From LP’s Campaign Council, Says He Remains In APC / Meet The Isobos, The Igbo Speaking Tribe Of Obubra LGA Of Cross River State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.