Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Why Are You Driving Manual gear? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are You Driving Manual gear? (14382 Views)

Changing Manual Gear To Auto(need Advice) / Automatic Vs Manual Gear In Bmw / Which One Is Faster Automatic Or Manual Gear Transmission? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by obojo(m): 1:03pm On Nov 09, 2010
For the manual gear drivers on nairaland,  Let us know why you are driving a car with  manual transmission. Did it have to do with control, speed or was it just more affordable. Automatic drivers let us know why you didn't get manual. Please this is not a  thread about which is better, just to see the reasons people chose manual over auto or vice versa.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by iaabc(f): 1:59pm On Nov 09, 2010
I drive an automatic but sometimes I just wish for the old manual shift; it somehow makes the driving all the more fun.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 09, 2010
I'd say Better Gas mileage overall,
Sticks are more fun, auto transmission is for wimps grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Ikwikwikwi(m): 2:04pm On Nov 09, 2010
I chose manual or shift transmission because in Nigeria, nothing is automatic, our system is a manual system, and so even the government is a manual type, PHCN is manual, telephone, roads, security, everything is by manual transmission, and so I followed the lead.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by tboy1(m): 2:05pm On Nov 09, 2010
Control and Affordable

I had my first major accident while driving an automatic and i know if it was a manual, the accident could have been avoided because i would have had to control the car i.e change gears and stay alert.
The auto was too comfy and i slept off while driving.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by babeface3: 2:05pm On Nov 09, 2010
this topic is being extensively discussed elsewhere on this forum with expert views x rayed, search for it
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by tboy1(m): 2:06pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ikwikwikwi:

I chose manual or shift transmission because in Nigeria, nothing is automatic, our system is a manual system, and so even the government is a manual type, PHCN is manual, telephone, roads, security, everything is by manual transmission, and so I followed the lead.

No need to divert. . . stay on the topics Pls
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Muza(m): 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2010
This is the 21st century,where things are supposed to be a lot easier.
Automatic any day,anytime. Drive manual when i don't have a choice.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by babeface3: 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2010
@Tboy, what of the second accident grin
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by samdede(m): 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2010
I prefer manual cause it gives me control. Like to take charge of my driving.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Ikwikwikwi(m): 2:14pm On Nov 09, 2010
@ tboy1, who are you to direct my post, busy bodi
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Woke4all(m): 2:14pm On Nov 09, 2010
I learned driving using manual and am kinda use to it and sometime when driving automatic, my left leg start searching for the clutch and when driving manual am
in total control of
the car as in when
it speeds, how fast
it takes to speed,
and when it
changes gears again,
if you're stuck out
of gas, you can
push it, whereas an
automatic car will
stay put. Manuals
are fun when the
car is powerful

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by VPersie: 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2010
Whenever I am having sex with my friends, I usually last for about an hour and a half. However, my friends last longer (usualluy 2 hours) natuarally. What can I do to keep up with their sexual performance levels?
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by comechop(m): 2:20pm On Nov 09, 2010
^ ^ the hell, ?
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by tboy1(m): 2:20pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ikwikwikwi:

@ tboy1, who are you to direct my post, busy bodi
tongue
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Ikenna351(m): 2:22pm On Nov 09, 2010
I drive and choose Manual over auto trans with various reasons below:

FOR FUN:
Til tomorrow, I derive a lot of pleasure driving stick cars. Its something I cant really explain. Most especially with powerfull engine propelled vehicles like cars with V6 engines. You get the complete power of V6 engine on the wheels via manual. Like I said, you will feel the fun while the car is in motion. In fact, V6 autos with manual trans drives or goes like ROCKETS!! cool

RELIABILITY:
Its world wide known that manual trans are very reliable Units. We do have electrical failures on our vehicles all the time. Its inevitable, no matter how new your car is. Battery can fail anytime, likewise Alternator and Starter. With Manual tranny, you can always Jerk-start the car, to take you home or nearest auto worksop. You wont be stranded on highway when your battery or starter suddenly fails.

DURABILITY:
I prefer manual trans because of its durability. Even with less maintenance, it can outlive the car itself. I dont remember ever draining and refilling the gear oil. All I do is to top up if there is a leakage, which is very easy, simple  and cheaper to fix. Manual trans does not select oil grades like auto does, as long as there is oil inside, carry go!! Cost of maintaining manual trans is very very low.

ABSOLUTE CONTROL:
Ahh!! This is where I love manual like , Being in total/absolute control of the car, how you want it to move, stop, rev while in motion, etc. You need to drive one to understand!

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by femmy2010(m): 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2010
Want to be in contsol?then manual is what u need.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Phate07(m): 2:46pm On Nov 09, 2010

Manual gives you more control and flexibility. With manaul, you are the king!
wink
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Iranoladun(f): 2:50pm On Nov 09, 2010
I've driven both manual car and automatic for many years and below are my observations;

Manual:
It easy to maintain especially if the car is tokunbo or an old car.  Most Naija mechanics can fix a manual gear but not so with automatic.With manual transmission you can jerk-start your car or push-to-start if battery is weak
Stressful to drive while you are in the stop and quench Lagos go-slow abi na hold-up self

Automatic
Very easy to navigate in traffic and you don't have to look for a masseur to massage your limbs & feet after driving tongue
When you have battery problem you are on your own shocked You cannot jerk-start or push-start an automatic gear car.  You have to tow or solve the problem for the car to move.  If your car is new (tear rubber), you will enjoy automatic gear but if it is old or tokunbo undecided
You have to carefully select automatic gear mechanics or be at the mercy of big names like Honda Place or Toyota Nig, RT Briscoe, Volkswagen Center, CFAO, GM motors, Leventis Motors etc

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by chidyke77(m): 2:52pm On Nov 09, 2010
Just consider the weakness and tiredess u felt after that long journey wt a manual transmission vehicle,do u also consider the stress u normally went thru weneva there's a slow movement of vehicle in a traffic jam?
Auto is still better in all round.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Kx: 2:57pm On Nov 09, 2010
Is this topic differnt from this:

Why are you eating Ofada/Abakiliki rice?
Imported Thai rice is better!

Is it not clear that apart from choice, cost/affordability of auto as against manual may be a determing factor?
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by patrick45(m): 2:59pm On Nov 09, 2010
VPersie:

Whenever I am having sex with my friends, I usually last for about an hour and a half. However, my friends last longer (usualluy 2 hours) natuarally. What can I do to keep up with their sexual performance levels?

@VPersie u are just a dumb mother f**cker. We talking bout cars and u come here talking rubbish. take ur post to the sexuality page. Dumb ass.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by dondigi(m): 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2010
i drive a beemah (manual transmission). i had the optio of buying an auto. power and preformance is nothing without control. i like my car subdued and thats why i cannot drive an auto. grin grin
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by kabukabu50(m): 3:15pm On Nov 09, 2010
I drive both,the automatic if I have to go anywhere downtown in ATL,the traffic is nightmarish, of course when driving in the suburbs I take the manual car grin
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by babeface3: 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2010
really manual makes me feel i am really driving[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by MeAgain(m): 3:40pm On Nov 09, 2010
Driving a manual car gives you all the control and excitement you need. Also best to use on long distance journeys.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 09, 2010
Keeps me from falling asleep on the steering! cool cool

Besides it was my first Car, I didnt want to get used to 'easy-driving'!
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by kaydee(m): 3:52pm On Nov 09, 2010
I sleep when i drive auto 'cause it's too comfortable,Stick is more fun.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by otokx(m): 3:54pm On Nov 09, 2010
That is what i have for now.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by softgirl1: 4:00pm On Nov 09, 2010
I can't emagin manual again i drove manual for 3yrs it was hell infact it is beta not to be mobile dan manual Automatic anyday with it u won't even feel d pain of trafick anyday auto all the way
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by chakula: 4:02pm On Nov 09, 2010
Manual, thought it was the type i had.
Re: Why Are You Driving Manual gear? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 09, 2010
I learnt driving with manual some 11 years ago, but I'm not sure I can drive manual again without fumbling.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Causes Of Spark Plug Soaked With Oil? / Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? / Share Your Car Service/user Manual

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.