Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,632 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? (15376 Views)

NYSC Is Wasting Our Time With Their Inconsistency / Was Your NYSC A Waste Of Time? / Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Kemjisuper(m): 9:08am On May 28, 2007
Really, how's the NYSC experience? I'm gearing up for mobilization by September. Hope mine would be as interesting as some people say it is. Cheers

Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by chessito(m): 1:00pm On May 28, 2007
@kemji,
never mind the ones that are scaring you,if you go to serve with the mind of being productive,you will surely enjoy your service year.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by thebaron(m): 1:21pm On May 28, 2007
like u r enjoying yours. C'mon give me a break.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Tylenol: 2:15pm On May 28, 2007
I am currently serving. I will be done in August (cannot wait!). I would advise people to partake in the programme and not just shun it. Some organizations require an NYSC certificate before employment. CBN (where I serve) require a cert. before employment. You don't want to nail a dream job and not be employed simply because of lack of NYSC certificate.

The NYSC conditions are terrible, pay even worse and the organization itself is the epitome of inefficiency. The registration process (especially for foreign students) is, infact, serious patience is needed. But at the end of the day, it's just one year.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by viee(f): 2:19pm On May 28, 2007
i loved my service year
met a lot of intresting pple
will not trade it for any thing
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by thebaron(m): 3:44pm On May 28, 2007
@viee
where did u serve?
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by afolabi236(m): 4:58pm On May 28, 2007
you need not to waste your time of a true NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? but the government need to do something about it RECHARGE NYSC FOR GOD SAKE MAY GOD HELP NIGERIAN YOUTH ALL WAY
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Yimsfred(m): 11:57pm On May 28, 2007
It is stress right from the orientation ground. On the job, it's is doing a million job for units of kobo. Yet, it is not waste of time. It is a place where graduates are brewed to be strong especially all these buttered bread.

Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by nweike(m): 5:57am On May 29, 2007
NYSC for me use to be useful but right now lets just say it has out lived its usefulness
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by MP007(m): 12:26pm On May 29, 2007
i think its like an intern doctor thang , it used to be good in the past so says my dad but not anymore
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by adeyballer(m): 7:27am On May 30, 2007
The aim of the programme is good but results are not achieved.
If you happen to serve in a local area or an underdeveloped area, you will see NYSC the way those that are advocating for it to be closed see it. It can really be hell o.

At the same time, I won't really blame some peolple who are moving the motion that NYSCbe scrapped. This is because some of them already have a place to hide their head,that is rather selfish, what of those that don't?

That time is really a good time to meet people, have a chance to grab some oppotunities you wouldn't have been exposed to on your own.

The main problem is thta the govt don't always follow up to the end, most of us even after serving in a good place eventually return home after the 1 year compulsory service (the employers just take advantage of the cheap labour) but waht are they doing about that?

That programme should be sustained an also maintained.

@Yimsfred- Tight pix, not hard to identify thats lagos camp, it was an experince
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Yimsfred(m): 9:09pm On May 30, 2007
I reason with adeyballer. But, on a more serious note, this thing even as it is, is still needed by some people. Have you ever wondered why someone would want to serve again irrespective of the merciless drilling and the low payment. Unemployment is so high that those kind of people use it to secure employment again and manage the change for another person's TFC meals.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by DoubleN(m): 10:54pm On May 30, 2007
I think the NYSC program is a f, g waste of time.Let's face it, the aim of the program has long been defeated.It is a useless waste of time and should be scrapped.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by uchetobi(f): 3:17pm On May 31, 2007
a bloody waste of time. Instead of earning millions one would be earning peanuts. Employees will use you till you drop cuz they'l bleed you like a staff and pay you like a corper.Then besides the officials are so rude, to register trips, to sign cd cards trips, to collect certificate trips. The whole NYSC  is a bloody waste of time. But thank God that the officials are greedy sha
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by hannydarl(f): 8:52pm On May 31, 2007
I think any youth who looks forward to help ease the burden on his poor parent will see the NYSC thing as a waste of time if the FG wants to help then they should organise interviews in place of NYSC every so so months to give graduates who pass jobs not steal them from their parents to "serve' a government who dint know how the parents struggle to train them in the first place. I believe youth service can be imposed if the FG trains sends Poeple to higher institution on scholarship if the govern ment wants to help they should convert the NYSC to a 3 weeks training workshop on self empleyment and give the youths the ALAWI for the 1 year period to start off somthing since it seems FG cant provide jobs not take a poor graduate to a bush in the name of service to the father land without water, housing, transportation and medical facilites a father land that does not serve its children give me the opportunity i will stick my foot into the spot where the sun dosent shine of the person who dreamed of NYSC al them thieves they use good name to cover bad thing who tell them i need to waste 1 year of my life to know people from other tribes?Only pickin wey papa get plenty go support 1 year NYSC as im no go worry for anything some copers even recieve money from home they are the lucky ones who want to serve everyday of their lives.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by kolahinmi(m): 10:03pm On May 31, 2007
Hi all,
I believe the NYSC is really a waste of Nigerian youths valuable time,depending on the way you view it.I serve up North,where i didnt do anything relating to my course and being paid a lousy stipend called allawee.This created a big gap in my cv not mentioning the sad years of ASUU strike.I believe the NYSC should end with the 3 wks orientation camp.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by dumi(f): 10:10am On Jun 01, 2007
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by moela: 11:24am On Jun 01, 2007
NYSC hmmm, a precious 1year waste of ur life.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by RuuDie(m): 11:51am On Jun 01, 2007
I don't think the NYSC scheme is a waste of time, even in present times that the programme is not well-coordinated, you'd see that there's quite a lot of sense to it --- you wouldn't really understand the full import of the scheme until you've been thru it. i thoroughly enjoyed my 1yr inspite of all the hardship & i really learnt a lot 2 !
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Elgaxton(m): 12:45pm On Jun 01, 2007
NYSC remains one of the best schemes we've ever embarked upon, it has and it is still achieving its aims, at least I've met

pple and learnt so many stuffs/culture.

The only pain is the welfare of NYSC. for example here in ABJ they see corpers as some low life pple (inferiority complex

anyway), I guess they are scared of the fact that this guys in orange booths and green Khaki will soon be ahead.

if u aint enjoying ur service or u dint enjoy ur service year then kpele o!!

I'm enjoyin my own full bar although I can't wait for sept sha.

Long and short just make up ur mind to learn during ur service year. wink
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Banderas(m): 12:51pm On Jun 01, 2007
I disagree. I'm no longer sure it's acheiving it's aim. In my opinion, it's simply unecessary. I suggest we have a one or two year national service in the pure military, and stop sending graduate engineers to teach mathematics.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by tatajega(m): 12:55pm On Jun 01, 2007
it can never been termed a waste of time,,at least for the sake of the discipline inculcated into the heads and minds of fresh graduates in this country, i appreciate the schemes existence despite all odds and irregularities, which are part of its existence.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Banderas(m): 12:59pm On Jun 01, 2007
Pray tell, what discipline? I was homeless for 4 months in Kano, a city where I knew no-one and couldn't speak the native tongue. I was told to teach math - a subject that would have done nothing for my career prospects.

If I didn't redeploy to Lagos (unofficially) I wonder where I would be right now.

The only good part of NYSC in my humble opinion was the 3 weeks orientation camp.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by VIC4U: 4:45pm On Jun 01, 2007
Anyway it depends on individual and where u served, I enjoyed my yourth service.

And i think we will enjoy it better if the fed govt should take the program as it supposed to be.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by Feyisayomi(f): 6:38pm On Jun 01, 2007
I think like most things in life, NYSC is whatever you make of it. It's all about attitude and you can either get the best or worst out of it. Since many of us really have no choice but to serve (at least given the employment criteria in Nigeria), why don't we just stop complaining and decide to make the best use of our service year?

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by fresh2impr: 7:24am On Jun 02, 2007
THE BARON, I AGREE WITH YOU 100%.

I 'm going to get a lot of criticism for what I am about to say but it is the truth - NYSC is usually a route out for people with very little hope. Pls note that I HAVE NOT SAID that only people without little hope enjoy NYSC. For many, the 8,5k 'allowi' is their first time they have earned money, and puts them in a better position that they would have ever been. From this one year of manual labour, they may go on to be retained by the companies they have served duly. In that respect NYSC serves it purpose.

HOWEVER, for some people like me who left the UK to take up a respectable job in Nigeria, NYSC has only proved a thorn in my career. I have had to accept a N3m drop in pay, simply because I am not 'full staff', yet for every other purpose but pay I am staff. I haven't mentioned the 3M just to throw figures around, but to show you detrimental NYSC has been to my career. I came to Nigeria to work, not to relive my Benin city secondary school days as was evidenced in camp. Thank God I did not stay in camp - in fact, my employers pleaded that if I can 'escape' camp I should, because there was so much work to be done.

My point is that NYSC should be voluntary. Some people need it, some dont. I have had my fair share of life's challenges, and I don't need a whole year of being treated like a goat to tell me that life can be hard. Each to their own. Like 'the baron' said, is it if I have a business proposal that I wish to see through, then I will waste my time doing NYSC?

Govt please stop making it difficult for people wishing to relocate to do so in the name of this sham of a program called NYSC. Yes the intentions are good, but the 'spirit' of the program no longer holds true so pls scrap it.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by funshiba(m): 12:44am On Jun 03, 2007
I REALLY DONT V TO SEE OTHER PEOPLES POST BEFOORE I TYPE MINE, BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE, NYSC IS NOT A WASTE OF TIME, ALTHOUGH IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL, I ENJOYED EVERYDAY OF MY SERVICE FROM THE FIRST DAY TO THE LAST, u need to understand that nysc is not for trip but can also be for maximum trips, it's a year of service. alot of contries allow the youth for a year of military training, so wats the big deal in ours. i think it should be encouraged
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by raldsfield(m): 12:51am On Jun 04, 2007
NYSC, it is a big waste of time. The government is using this as a cover up not to encourage private sector employment, or providing employment to fresh gradates themselves. More so, it is cheap labour for the government(teaching) and private sector (Messengers). It is either the program is modified to be 2007 compliant or it is scrapped. And don't hold youths and a year of there life to ramson.

For those who love this cover up (NYSC), it is better you face life as soon a you graduate and not wait for a year before you know what hit you. Wat is N8500, although better than N7500 in my days.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by skillmyman(m): 5:42pm On Jun 04, 2007
hi all,

i think the idea of NYSC was great but the strategy out to have been updated from the idea of 1973 when it was established. then Nigeria just came out of a civil war and the idea of integration was good.

now in 2007, i think the govt should go an extra mile in using the scheme to jumpstart the technological age.

100,000 graduands are churned out every year to an economy that is not creating more jobs so i think, the one yr scheme should be used in incullcating enterpreneurship in the participants.

it could also be changed so that everybody in the scheme is given a one yr intensive training course on information technology.
this can actually jumpstart the technological revolution of nigeria which is needed at this time.
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by dononye: 10:38am On Jun 06, 2007
yes i really think dat NYSC is a waste of time , if u look closely u find out that both male and female posted for service exibit this service to ease ther sexually appatite and also some have use this corp service as a menence to the society by attaching traveler on the high way. i believe we are all aware of this shocked
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by haywhy(m): 10:41am On Jun 06, 2007
But I heard that people abroad still have to serve before they could work in Nigeria, undecided undecided undecided
Re: NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? by 9jabiggurl: 11:19am On Jun 07, 2007
NYSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hmmm, bloody waste of time but very imp cos come organisation wld demand for it at entry level, so pls dont shun just do it 4 d sake of it, i served in GOMBE and almost died, came back wit typhoid n malaria, infact dat tin they call endurance treak, could not make it cos i had food poisioning, infact Gombe was not it at all but that three was worth it after worth its a bloody waste of time,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Senate Reacts To The Death Of 3 Corpers, Calls For NYSC Overhaul / 731 Corpers Test Positive For COVID-19 – Presidential Task Force / Corpers Prepare Food For IDPs At Malkori Camp, Adamawa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.