Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,250 members, 7,807,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

Origin Of Various Igbo Clans - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Various Igbo Clans (73096 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by NegroNtns(m): 1:01am On Jun 27, 2011
That's not what is implied in his open entry for the post.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 1:22am On Jun 27, 2011
You're reading too hard. It really shouldn't be this difficult to understand the things being said here.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by NegroNtns(m): 2:11am On Jun 27, 2011
Chinenye,

I give you credit for your continous rebuttals. I see that you have a more robust outlook on these issues than the other softbacked dogs, they came in barked, I shut them down and they dissapeared, but you stayed and maintained your composure in the face of it.

You know another female on here and a close friend, Ileke-Idi, said women are custodians of cultures. I believe her and now I see you demonstrate that need to guard your culture.

I must say this, Igbo women should come to the fore front and become the face and voice of Igbo interest. Your men are good at chasing money, but that's all they have for strength.

If you do not come to forefront and push them aside and run the helm of building better relations across the spectrum, I fear an imminent die down of relations and could erupt.

Think about it! Again, kudos to u.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:04am On Jun 27, 2011
@Negro_Ntns, i wud first suggest u to change ur name. its rascist. angry angry
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by Abagworo(m): 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Chinenye,

I give you credit for your continous rebuttals. I see that you have a more robust outlook on these issues than the other softbacked dogs, they came in barked, I shut them down and they dissapeared, but you stayed and maintained your composure in the face of it.

You know another female on here and a close friend, Ileke-Idi, said women are custodians of cultures. I believe her and now I see you demonstrate that need to guard your culture.

I must say this, Igbo women should come to the fore front and become the face and voice of Igbo interest. Your men are good at chasing money, but that's all they have for strength.

If you do not come to forefront and push them aside and run the helm of building better relations across the spectrum, I fear an imminent die down of relations and could erupt.

Think about it! Again, kudos to u.

Why the hell do u think Chinenye is female?
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by odumchi: 12:12am On Jun 28, 2011
Chyz.:

Ekpeye dialect/language:

[flash=350,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koxYanBnUJ0&feature=player_embedded#at=111[/flash]

It's amazing, I could only understand bits and pieces of their language.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 12:46am On Jun 28, 2011
odumchi:

It's amazing, I could only understand bits and pieces of their language.

Title
Iye uma ida meni me - Ekpeye
Ihe oma nna mere m - Onwu/Standard

Chorus
Ida me meni me iye uma (my father has done me well)
Ida me meni me (my father has done [for] me)
Iye uma ida me meni me l'uwa m (basically; the good things my father has done for me)
unu me ekaa kwudula wee (?) (my mouth cannot say them all)

*not all these sounds are as simple as they look, here. Ekpeye has some unique consonants. I just simplified/approximated them to the Onwu equivalents.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by vicenzo(m): 4:45am On Jun 28, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Title

Chorus
Iye uma ida me meni me l'uwa m (basically; the good things my father has done for me)

*not all these sounds are as simple as they look, here. Ekpeye has some unique consonants. I just simplified/approximated them to the Onwu equivalents.
Makes sense.My cousin is married to one of them,she has been learning the language,she said that ekpeye is ful of igbo words,the only difference is the way they pronounce them,when you try to write down the words ,it is basically the igbo words you know,but with a bizzare pronunciation that will leave you wondering what the speaker said,and then, other words that are definitely not igbo.
ChinenyeN:

Title

Chorus

Makes sense.My cousin is married to one of them,she has been learning the language,she said that ekpeye is ful of igbo words,the only difference is the way they pronounce them,when you try to write down the words ,it is basically the igbo words you know,but with a bizzare pronunciation that will leave you wondering what the speaker said,and then, other words that are definitely not igbo.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by odumchi: 4:39pm On Jun 28, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Title

Chorus

Chai, so you understand it? Amazing. So I'm guessing it's safe to say their language is a dialect of Igbo and they are a subgroup?
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 7:10pm On Jun 28, 2011
odumchi:

Chai, so you understand it? Amazing. So I'm guessing it's safe to say their language is a dialect of Igbo and they are a subgroup?

You're late.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 7:21pm On Jun 28, 2011
odumchi:

Yes, and No. Abagworo explained it best when he referenced the Itsekiri/Yoruba relationship.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 7:49pm On Jun 28, 2011
If that Igbotic stuff above is what can stand on its own (as well as them having an Eze) and gives them a Yoruba-Itsekiri comparison then Ika is Bini and anything above Uzuakoli is Jukun.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 8:24pm On Jun 28, 2011
The Igbotic/Igboid stuff isn't even my viewpoint. I'm just describing the outlook that most seem to have, specifically for Ekpeye.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by NegroNtns(m): 5:27am On Jun 29, 2011
<Quote> So I'm guessing it's safe to say their language is a dialect of Igbo and they are a subgroup? </quote>

Yeeeeh, hooray!!! Its "safe" to "say" We acquired another territory!
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by NegroNtns(m): 5:28am On Jun 29, 2011
Land grab campaign!!!
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 10:32am On Jun 29, 2011
There ain't no campaign, all the land has been grabbed. Late!
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 10:33am On Jun 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The Igbotic/Igboid stuff isn't even my viewpoint. I'm just describing the outlook that most seem to have, specifically for Ekpeye.

Well, the most important thing is how the Ekpeye see themselves.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 4:02pm On Jun 29, 2011
Does that apply just to Ekpeye or other groups as well?
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 6:10pm On Jun 29, 2011
It has always been applied to everyone.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 6:35pm On Jun 29, 2011
Oh okay.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by afrodiva: 5:40am On Jul 06, 2011
at abagworo,
firstly i still take offence from your quote   "recently manufactured history ". regarding the ekpeye . recently manufactured by whom? our close neihgbours engenni ,abua, kugbo,ogbia, kalabari ,ikwerre ,degema have always known our history so where and what encyclopedia or research material  are you getting this story from?. secondly you did not render the complete meaning of the chorus of that  song and lastly you didnt render the meaning of the entire song .(pls dont go to your ekpeye friends now and ask them the meaning ).
rivers state languages
english                           ethnicity              translation
thankyou/welldone       kalabari                 imiete
thankyou/welldone       Ikwere                   meka 
thankyou /welldone      okrika                    imama
thankyou /welldone      ekpeye                  meka/ emele/imeme

father                ekpeye /kalabari/ikwerre /okrika/izon   ida/da/nda/da/dau  respectively

the ekpeye also use "IDA'" to mean GOD.
the ekpeye never had a titulary deity like some other  ethnicities .ebilikpabi was venerated in ekpeye like it was in most parts of the former eastern region nembe ,kalabari,ikwerre  peeps all went to arochukwu to settle their differences .back in the day alot of easterners believed the supreme God aka long juju of aro had its priests in arochukwu it was not peculiar to the ekpeye. the ekpeye worshiped different gods. chi ukwu and chi neke came into being for the ekpeye with the teaching of igbo in  ekpeye schools and churches
you dont have to concoct false stories to advance your territory .abadaba has even lied about being from ahoada just to claim ekpeye as igbo  .abagworo, i used to think you were on of the reasonable voices on nairaland but you just seem to obsess over contentious issues.
if you wan be portharcourt citizen we fit consider you . just show some respect
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by Chyz2: 5:49am On Jul 06, 2011
afrodiva:

at abagworo,
firstly i still take offence from your quote "recently manufactured history ". regarding the ekpeye . recently manufactured by whom? our close neihgbours engenni ,abua, kugbo,ogbia, kalabari ,ikwerre ,degema have always known our history so where and what encyclopedia or research material are you getting this story from?. secondly you did not render the complete meaning of the chorus of that song and lastly you didnt render the meaning of the entire song .(pls dont go to your ekpeye friends now and ask them the meaning ).
rivers state languages
english ethnicity translation
thankyou/welldone kalabari imiete
thankyou/welldone Ikwere meka
thankyou /welldone okrika imama
thankyou /welldone ekpeye meka/ emele/imeme

father ekpeye /kalabari/ikwerre /okrika/izon ida/da/nda/da/dau respectively

the ekpeye never had a titulary deity like some other ethnicities .ebiliukpabi was venerated in ekpeye like it was in most parts of the former eastern region nembe ,kalabari,ikwerre peeps all went to arochukwu to settle their differences .back in the day alot of easterners believed the supreme God aka long juju of aro had its priests in arochukwu it was not peculiar to the ekpeye. the ekpeye worshiped different gods. chi ukwu and chi neke came into being for the ekpeye with the teaching of igbo in ekpeye schools and churches
you dont have to concoct false stories to advance your territory .abadaba has even lied about being from ahoada just to claim ekpeye as igbo .abagworo, i used to think you were on of the reasonable voices on nairaland but you just seem to obsess over contentious issues.

Lmao!

Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by Chyz2: 6:24am On Jul 06, 2011
afrodiva:

at abagworo,
firstly i still take offence from your quote   "recently manufactured history ". regarding the ekpeye . recently manufactured by whom? our close neihgbours engenni ,abua, kugbo,ogbia, kalabari ,ikwerre ,degema have always known our history so where and what encyclopedia or research material  are you getting this story from?. secondly you did not render the complete meaning of the chorus of that  song and lastly you didnt render the meaning of the entire song .(pls dont go to your ekpeye friends now and ask them the meaning ).
rivers state languages

father                ekpeye /kalabari/ikwerre /okrika/izon   ida/da/nda/da/dau  respectively

the ekpeye never had a titulary deity like some other  ethnicities .ebiliukpabi was venerated in ekpeye like it was in most parts of the former eastern region nembe ,kalabari,ikwerre  peeps all went to arochukwu to settle their differences .back in the day alot of easterners believed the supreme God aka long juju of aro had its priests in arochukwu it was not peculiar to the ekpeye. the ekpeye worshiped different gods. chi ukwu and chi neke came into being for the ekpeye with the teaching of igbo in  ekpeye schools and churches
you dont have to concoct false stories to advance your territory .abadaba has even lied about being from ahoada just to claim ekpeye as igbo  .abagworo, i used to think you were on of the reasonable voices on nairaland but you just seem to obsess over contentious issues.

I was so curious about where the hell you're getting your information from. What year exactly was igbo taught in ekpeye schools and churches? Didn't know there were school where only igbo was spoken and all materials were wriiten in Igbo. Also, just curious to why english did not dominate your language more than "igbo" did since it is used way more that Igbo in nigeria? I remember ikwere tried that say story but it fell flat with no proof whatsoever of an existing language before their igbo/igboid dialect. I dont know, maybe you have facts.

Also I find it funny that only the words that are Igbo seem to be "imported". why is that?  I remember you mentioning something about the benin kingdom, that is another excuse many use to get out of being "igbo". I hope you do realize that the Benin Kingdom was not a "race" but a "kingdom" which included various ethnic groups such as Igbo, Yoruba, Bini, Esan,Ishekiri, Ijo,etc.  If you go to each of the ancesterial lands of these groups, the areas that were effected by the benin expansion have peculiar dialectical differences to the rest who where "untouched". Your claims aren't making any sense maybe you can clarify,and with facts.

thankyou(?) /welldone      ekpeye                  meka/ emele/imeme

^^^ As for this, what point were you trying to prove exactly? Lol

thankyou/welldone         Imo/Abia/Enugu/etc.       emeka = meka(ikwerre and ekepye)

So what exactly is your point? 
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 7:14am On Jul 06, 2011
Afrodiva, seji, seji. . . Do you even get what Abagworo is saying?
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 4:29pm On Jul 06, 2011
Why would they teach Central Igbo in non-Igbo Ekpeye land? Oh, that's right. . . . .
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by afrodiva: 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2011
My mistake,igbo. was taught in churches not schools.  .simple most of the catechist were igbo/trained in the igbo  language. If you don't understand my prior write up I can't go over explaining again. It is ethically wrong to try to rewrite my history just to prove your on point.     @ezeagu if  you really want to know how we feel about being about being called  igbo hiding behind the keyboard is not the answer go to ahoada or an ikwerre village and chant igbo kwenu.  I dare u. Rather than trying to build relationship you want to enforce your lies on us it didn't work during biafra and will never work
@abagworo rewrite all you can. You will never build bridges but resentment. Which Iam safe to assume is counterproductive except your original intention was to breed hostilities
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by Chyz2: 7:21pm On Jul 06, 2011
afrodiva:

My mistake,igbo. was taught in churches not schools. .simple most of the catechist were igbo/trained in the igbo language. If you don't understand my prior write up I can't go over explaining again. It is ethically wrong to try to rewrite my history just to prove your on point. @ezeagu if you really want to know how we feel about being about being called igbo hiding behind the keyboard is not the answer go to ahoada or an ikwerre village and chant igbo kwenu. I dare u. Rather than trying to build relationship you want to enforce your lies on us it didn't work during biafra and will never work
@abagworo rewrite all you can. You will never build bridges but resentment. Which Iam safe to assume is counterproductive except your original intention was to breed hostilities

What exactly is being rewritten? we are simply asking you to explain yourself.

Now you are changing your story saying that Igbo wasnt taught in school,lol. How do you expect someone to accept your stories after comitting something like that?

Also, since it was the Iggo language being taugh in churches which led to the overwhelming igbo influence in the ekpeye language, then why are there no english words in the ekpeye language as there are Igbo? English is taught/used in virtually all churches in the south so why isnt english overshadowing the "original" ekpeye language more than Igbo? lol
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 8:23pm On Jul 06, 2011
afrodiva:

My mistake,igbo. was taught in churches not schools.  .simple most of the catechist were igbo/trained in the igbo  language. If you don't understand my prior write up I can't go over explaining again. It is ethically wrong to try to rewrite my history just to prove your on point.     @ezeagu if  you really want to know how we feel about being about being called  igbo hiding behind the keyboard is not the answer go to ahoada or an ikwerre village and chant igbo kwenu.  I dare u. Rather than trying to build relationship you want to enforce your lies on us it didn't work during biafra and will never work

They teach central Igbo in Ahoada, I don't need to hear it from internet people. And where are you now that there is no Biafra? Fighting for the crumbs of the profit made out of your own land. Don't let somebody describe your situation.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ChinenyeN(m): 8:42pm On Jul 06, 2011
Iye Igbo dum bu umekpa eli. . . undecided
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by Abagworo(m): 9:05pm On Jul 06, 2011
afrodiva:

at abagworo,
rivers state languages

the ekpeye never had a titulary deity like some other  ethnicities .ebilikpabi was venerated in ekpeye like it was in most parts of the former eastern region nembe ,kalabari,ikwerre  peeps all went to arochukwu to settle their differences .back in the day alot of easterners believed the supreme God aka long juju of aro had its priests in arochukwu it was not peculiar to the ekpeye. the ekpeye worshiped different gods. chi ukwu and chi neke came into being for the ekpeye with the teaching of igbo in  ekpeye schools and churches

I do not seem to understand your reason for trying to create issues out of nothing.My mother comes from Port-Harcourt for your information and I grew up with her family.You as an  Ekpeye man is a stranger more than me in PH.I therefore have no reason to claim you.

As someone that has knowledge of Ekpeye,you should have observed my stand on Ekpeye being Igbo or not.

''Thank You'' is imela in  central Igbo and Imele in several Igbo dialects as well.Notice the word ''me'' which means ''do''.Meka and Imele all literally translate to ''well done''.

The greeting ''Meka'' is ''well done'' and the response in Ikwerre ''Diali'' means ''Son of the soil''.

By recently manufactured,I meant any history written after 1970 which as we all know will be aimed at looking for ways to dissociate from  Igbo.I have said time without number that my own people in  Imo State share the same belief of Benin  origin but will never deny being what we are, Igbos.The same goes for several non-Nri/Awka and non-Isoama Igbos.

By recently manufactured,I meant any history written after 1970 which as we all know will be aimed at looking for ways to dissociate from  Igbo.I have said time without number that my own people in  Imo State share the same belief of Benin  origin but will never deny being what we are, Igbos.The same goes for several non-Nri/Awka and non-Isoama Igbos.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by afrodiva: 1:05am On Jul 07, 2011
@ezeagu.
Go ahead and descripe. whatever situation. Like its not the same resources maintaining you and Yur states.
I will say it again biafra is dead and gone. Never to arise stop living in the past .landgrabber.the Almighty Lord saw thru Yur gimmicks .that's why biafra will always fail.
Re: Origin Of Various Igbo Clans by ezeagu(m): 11:52am On Jul 07, 2011
And that's the same reason why Mallam's are going on shopping sprees in the UK and US with your resources. No matter how much you want to disassociate yourself from your ancestry or how many times you want to rain curses on your relatives, that will not allow you to gain control of your resources, in fact your heavily Igbotic ancestors are probably cursing you from the spirit world maybe that's why there's all this Niger Delta problem. What do you call someone that does not learn from the past? And by the way the south east states have large reserves of untapped minerals and land resources including oil. Who is really regretting the failure of Biafra now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Silekunola Moronke Naomi's First Outing (Picture) / 4 Northern Nigeria Elites Whose Daughters Don’t Wear Hijab (pictures) / Ooni Ogunwusi Acquires Royce-Rolls 2016 Delivered To Him Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.