Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms (4414 Views)

USA To Support Biafra Freedom From Nigeria– Reports / FG To Summon S’african Envoy Over Seized Arms Funds / Seized Arms: Nigeria Calls Off Football Friendly With Iran (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by EFCC1(m): 10:45am On Nov 13, 2010
ALL things being equal, the United Nations Security Council would by this morning have received a formal report from Nigeria about the seizure of dangerous weapons shipped into its territory from Iran, last month.

Abuja’s action to that effect is in line with relevant Security Council resolutions against Iran, Empowered Newswire yesterday quoted Nigeria's Permanent Representative to the world body, Ambassador Joy Ogwu, to have said.

Diplomats at the world body point to UN Security Council Resolution 1929 of this year and some other earlier resolutions which effectively imposed an arms embargo on Iran.

The implications of such observations are two-fold: the Iranian shipment to Nigeria violated the resolutions and Nigeria needs to inform the Security Council of the world body about the arms cache.

Prof. Ogwu, on Thursday night in New York, confirmed that she had already alerted the current president of the UN Security Council Sir Mark Lyall Grant, who is the United Kingdom’s Permanent Representative and Ambassador to the UN, about Nigeria’s intentions of informing the Council and its Sanctions Committee about the controversial shipment.

Her words: “I have already notified the President of the Council, Sir Grant, to expect a letter from us reporting the incident and that further investigations is going on.”

Her planned action coincides with moves in Abuja, where the Foreign Affairs Minister Henry Odein Ajumogobia told reporters yesterday morning that if Nigeria found any evidence that the arms shipment broke UN sanctions, the Federal Government would alert the Security Council.

Reuters reported yesterday morning in New York that Ajumogobia met with the Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki “late on Thursday to discuss the shipment, intercepted by Nigeria's secret service in the port of Lagos and found to contain rockets and other explosives.”

According to the Newswire, Ajumogobia said "the consignment did originate from Iran. That's been confirmed from our own shipping documents and the Iranian foreign minister."

"If Nigeria finds in the conclusion of investigations that there has been a breach of any sanctions, as a member of the U.N. Council, we would do what is necessary," Ajumogobia said, adding that Mottaki promised Iran's co-operation with an investigation into the shipment.

In New York, Ambassador Ogwu, disclosed that a letter was being prepared by the Nigerian Mission to inform the Security Council of the incident in line w
ith the resolution which Nigeria had also voted for in June.

http://www.compassnewspaper.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69779:nigeria-reports-iran-to-un-over-seized-arms&catid=43:news&Itemid=799
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by TORDOO(m): 12:06pm On Nov 13, 2010
Lock these guys up,they are terrorist,nigerian import arms in iran by now our senate shd have said the suspect shd be punish 4 his crime,but here is iranian embassy denying sss acess to the suspect,
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by olaolabiy: 12:30pm On Nov 13, 2010
The Federal Government sha.

When dealing with other countries and foreign nationals, the Nigerian government dreads trouble and usually applies diplomatc means.

When dealing with its own nationals, the government flagrantly and blatantly courts trouble.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by oweniwe(m): 12:38pm On Nov 13, 2010
Why u de lament na? What nigeria did was right:- Follow the due process. I don't see anything wrong with that
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Ymodulus: 12:50pm On Nov 13, 2010
oweniwe:

Why u de lament na? What nigeria did was right:- Follow the due process. I don't see anything wrong with that
my friend will you keep quiet? An igbo guy will never talk the way you did. I-d-i-o-t
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 13, 2010
I need the Iran Diplomatic tie suspended and those Iranians purnish ad infinitum
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by trooperz(m): 1:16pm On Nov 13, 2010
Those weapons are not Iranian. Iran will never write in English on their weapons. Except Iran was used as a transit point. Fine. Some men tried to arm themselves against Nigeria in the forth coming elections. Their runz did not "click". The option they had was to transfer the Evil on another sovereign nation not in the good book of the International community, A scape-goat. Thanks be to the architect of the universe, the Nigerian Army now has +13 containers of Artillery shells. Iran is innocent, that is my verdict in my Mental Court of Justice.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Emmyk(m): 1:37pm On Nov 13, 2010
So are they planning bombing Nigeria? :-x
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Nsiman(m): 2:11pm On Nov 13, 2010
To me, their plan failled because of the change of NSA by gej. But the culprit shld be made to say the brain behind the arms.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by UCEHFOS(m): 2:39pm On Nov 13, 2010
Government should thread cautiously on this issue, b'cos Iran is not a diplomatic country
least they relocate NL from Nigeria. lol.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by oweniwe(m): 2:42pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ymodulus:

my friend will you keep quiet?  An igbo guy will never talk the way you did. I-d-i-o-t

angry  angry angry  angry  angry
what exactly is your problem that made u call me i.di.ot? Did i kidnap your mama? angry  angry angry  angry  angry  

I simply said we should follow the due process when in a delicate situation like this and not do things anyhow. What is wrong with that? You no get sense? angry  angry angry  angry  angry  

Don't u have any sense of diplomacy? angry  angry angry  angry  angry

If i jam your head eh. . . Bloody boko haram angry  angry angry  angry  angry  angry  angry angry  angry  angry  angry  angry angry  angry  angry
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by JUO(m): 2:51pm On Nov 13, 2010
time shall
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by EzeUche0(m): 2:56pm On Nov 13, 2010
I support this measure.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by babaowo: 3:15pm On Nov 13, 2010
this is another format
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by ossaisly(m): 3:16pm On Nov 13, 2010
na wa o! I just pray that IRAN and 9ja dont go to war. But first of all isn't it high time we boycott the friendly match that is slated to be played later this month? We all know what the Iranians are capable of doing. Make dem no go kidnapp our team o. I hate all this shit!
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Ayatullah(m): 3:22pm On Nov 13, 2010
So far there is no evidence that the blessed Islamic Republic of Iran has any intention destabilizing Nigeria, Iran's arch-enemy, Israel has confirmed that, so what is the problem with those making unreasonable noise?

Nigeria should tread cautiously, a good step has been taken by reporting to the UN, any other hasty and unfriendly step is very risky for Nigeria, if we cannot handle Okah's MEND, how can we handle the anger of the dreaded Hizbullah? Better stop making noise and let us be diplomatic.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 13, 2010
ossai sly:

na wa o! I just pray that IRAN and 9ja dont go to war. But first of all isn't it high time we boycott the friendly match that is slated to be played later this month? We all know what the Iranians are capable of doing. Make dem no go kidnapp our team o. I hate all this poo!

men na true oh!

we should consider calling off the match or playing it at a neutral ground sha.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by lordvamon(m): 4:16pm On Nov 13, 2010
oweniwe:

angry  angry angry  angry  angry
what exactly is your problem that made u call me i.di.ot? Did i kidnap your mama? angry  angry angry  angry  angry  

I simply said we should follow the due process when in a delicate situation like this and not do things anyhow. What is wrong with that? You no get sense? angry  angry angry  angry  angry  

Don't u have any sense of diplomacy? angry  angry angry  angry  angry

If i jam your head eh. . . Bloody boko haram angry  angry angry  angry  angry  angry  angry angry  angry  angry  angry  angry angry  angry  angry no mind the baga e be like im shak og.
all this islamic countries demna rubbish.Bleep them all angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by redsun(m): 4:24pm On Nov 13, 2010
With the state of nigeria,a country like iran easily colonize nigeria radically.Islamist pitch their tents in failed states like nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by ohaechesi(m): 4:26pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ymodulus:

my friend will you keep quiet? An igbo guy will never talk the way you did. I-d-i-o-t

what has this thread got to do with tribe? u should be mindful on how you go about resonating ur lulled perspective of reasoning. u had better discuss the matter on ground rather than ranting and bickering.

by the way, who cares if Yoruba'S are illiterates or literates. is high time u come out from ur uninformed shell
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by juman(m): 4:28pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ayatullah:

So far there is no evidence that the blessed Islamic Republic of Iran has any intention destabilizing Nigeria, Iran's arch-enemy, Israel has confirmed that, so what is the problem with those making unreasonable noise?

Nigeria should tread cautiously, a good step has been taken by reporting to the UN, any other hasty and unfriendly step is very risky for Nigeria, if we cannot handle Okah's MEND, how can we handle the anger of the dreaded Hizbullah? Better stop making noise and let us be diplomatic.

Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by bidemi12(m): 4:35pm On Nov 13, 2010
Ymodulus:

just as you have just proved. . . . .most, not all igbos are really strange with too much of an aggressive attitude. No diplomacy whatsoever. . . . ever wonder why the presidency is to distant from you?
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by marcus1234: 4:58pm On Nov 13, 2010
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 13, 2010
bidemi12:

just as you have just proved. . . . .most, not all igbos are really strange with too much of an aggressive attitude. No diplomacy whatsoever. . . . ever wonder why the presidency is to distant from you?

Why can't some of you discuss issues indiscriminately and deal with the individual in question?

You that have the Presidency so close to you what have you done with it?
The result on the ground does not look good and if I were you I will not like to be associated with the leadership of a country like Nigeria that is almost a failed state, where corruption thrives, thugs are running the show and disease have taken over most of the country.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by ohaechesi(m): 6:02pm On Nov 13, 2010
mikeansy:

Why can't some of you discuss issues indiscriminately and deal with the individual in question?

You that have the Presidency so close to you what have you done with it?
The result on the ground does not look good and if I were you I will not like to be associated with the leadership of a country like Nigeria that is almost a failed state, where corruption thrives, thugs are running the show and disease have taken over most of the country.

My dear, na u wey get time for that good for nothing panda grin
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by deols(f): 7:08pm On Nov 13, 2010
Diplomacy is all that is needed in this and Nigeria has taken the right step but the naivety of Nigerians and their cynical approach to anything done by the government always overclouds their judgment.

Attitudinal change is still very much needed for a better Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by pfunsho: 7:22pm On Nov 13, 2010
Nigeria is being very professional about this.

Tweengle.com - a Nigerian Social Network page - Check it out is it HOT or NOT? Let me know, Thanks
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by MaiSuya(m): 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2010
ola olabiy:

The Federal Government sha.

When dealing with other countries and foreign nationals, the Nigerian government dreads trouble and usually applies diplomatc means.

When dealing with its own nationals, the government flagrantly and blatantly courts trouble.

I really don't know what you expect the FG to do in such a delicate situation as this. Declare war against Iran? Send our troops after them like we did with the militants?

They ( the FG ) have done what any responsible government would do in these circumstances, by following the right diplomatic channel--the UN.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by saridonp2: 11:27pm On Nov 13, 2010
What a shame!,our government is reporting Iran to United Nations as if they are reporting an individual.No wonders our country is hardly respected because we dont have intelligent leaders.What is the business of Iran in this?,because an Iranian is the suspect means you have to report their government to UN or that the suspect is hiding at their embassy?.Its a very stupid move because we just have to handle this situation through our own system.I wonder why U.S government didnt report our government to U.N or maybe E.U when Muttallab attempted to bomb their plane.What a country!
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by LagosShia: 2:13am On Nov 14, 2010
saridon_p:

What a shame!,our government is reporting Iran to United Nations as if they are reporting an individual.No wonders our country is hardly respected because we dont have intelligent leaders.What is the business of Iran in this?,because an Iranian is the suspect means you have to report their government to UN or that the suspect is hiding at their embassy?.Its a very silly move because we just have to handle this situation through our own system.I wonder why U.S government didnt report our government to U.N or maybe E.U when Muttallab attempted to bomb their plane.What a country!
that is a very good observation.we are yet to see if the iranian government is involved.as for the news that an iranian citizen is hiding in their embassy,well there is no mother that will hand over her son to the police.one would not expect any country to hand over their citizen to another.that does not mean the government has a hand.

i can smell israel's attempt to politicize this issue.if you review our newspapers you will read similar report with israeli newspapers as if they are being paid to promote propaganda against iran.we hear all the israeli propaganda being repeated by nigerians.iran is being labelled a black sheep because they are against israel,which is the number 1 terrorist state in the world above all laws.
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by aljharem(m): 2:26am On Nov 14, 2010
Ayatullah:

u are very wise
Re: Nigeria Reports Iran To Un Over Seized Arms by Nobody: 2:50am On Nov 14, 2010
saridon_p:

What a shame!,our government is reporting Iran to United Nations as if they are reporting an individual.No wonders our country is hardly respected because we dont have intelligent leaders.What is the business of Iran in this?,because an Iranian is the suspect means you have to report their government to UN or that the suspect is hiding at their embassy?.Its a very silly move because we just have to handle this situation through our own system.I wonder why U.S government didnt report our government to U.N or maybe E.U when Muttallab attempted to bomb their plane.What a country!

I suggest you check the facts first before you make a judgement on the Nigerian Government.

You have no clue what you are talking about I am sorry to say.

All I think I heard Nigeria say is that they will report Iran to UN IF it is found that Iran has breached the provisions of UN regulation.

Besides dont be too quick to differentiate between Iran and the individual in question because the last time I checked rockets and military grade bombs is not the sort of products any roadside enterprenuer manufactures in their backyard.

So check the facts before you take sides.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

So Far, ACN Has Been A Disappointment / Nobody Is Fighting For The Masses Since Fela And Gani Passed Away / The Man Abba Kyari (photo)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.